What's new

Why the Arab World Needs Democracy Now

war&peace

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In April Jamal Khashoggi gave this speech, saying the dangerous idea of the benevolent autocrat, the just dictator, is being revived in the Arab world.

By Jamal Khashoggi

Mr. Khashoggi was a Saudi journalist.

• Oct. 22, 2018
merlin_145193574_791d509a-4350-4ba9-87f9-f8df1c124eb8-articleLarge.jpg

A Saudi flag at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, where Jamal Khashoggi was killed.CreditCreditOzan Kose/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi Arabian journalist who was killed by Saudi agents inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, was the keynote speaker at a conference in April organized by the Center for Middle East Studies at the University of Denver and the Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy in Washington. Excerpts from his speech, edited for clarity and length, are below.

I am from Saudi Arabia, where the issues of democracy and Islam are very much relevant. When a Saudi official wanted to brush away the question of democracy, in the past, he would always raise the question of whether democracy is compatible with Islam.

The debate about the relationship between Islam and democracy conclusively ended with the coming of the Arab Spring, when the people of the Arab world, — especially the youth, and even the Islamists, including some Salafis, who were always critical of democracy — supported the protests for democratic and political change. Other Salafis remained very critical of democracy, viewing it as “kufr,” or un-Islamic, based on the belief that democracy represents a rejection of religious values.

The long voting lines during the 2012 elections in Tunisia and Egypt clearly demonstrated that the people of the Arab world were ready for change. They enthusiastically participated in democratic elections, including Islamist parties that had often been the focus of the debate on Islam’s compatibility with democracy.

Subscribe to The New York Times

But while we’re pursuing all these forms of modernity, the Saudi leaders are still not interested in democracy, They aren’t advancing the old, lame excuse that democracy is not compatible with Islam, however. Instead, as Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman told Jeffrey Goldberg in The Atlantic they’re saying that absolute monarchy is our preferred form of government.

Opinion | Nicholas Kristof: More Insulting Lies From Saudi Arabia
Oct. 19, 2018

Opinion | The Editorial Board: Trump Says Jamal Khashoggi Is Dead. What Next?
Oct. 18, 2018

Opinion | Hatice Cengiz: My Fiancé Jamal Khashoggi Was a Lonely Patriot
Oct. 13, 2018

Indeed, we are living in the age of authoritarianism. Some people believe that it is a better form of political rule. They argue that societies need a great leader and that democracy will undermine the ability of the great leader to guide his people to a better future.

Abd al-Rahman al-Kawakibi, a late-19th-century Arab-Muslim reformist of Syrian origin. The Arab and Muslim intellectuals who followed Kawakibi supported democracy or at least some variant of it.

Regrettably, though, the idea of the benevolent autocrat, the just dictator, is being revived in the Arab world. A chorus of anti-democratic Arab and non-Arab voices are using the media and the lobbyists to oppose democracy. I’m told that at the Riyadh International Book Fair in March, which I was not able to attend, one of the books on display was called “Against the Arab Spring.”

Democracy in the Arab world is also under attack from radical Islamists who are making a comeback as the so-called Islamic State or as the Salafis fighting in Libya alongside Khalifa Hifter (who was a general in Muammar Gaddafi’s army and is now backed by the United Arab Emirates and Egypt). They preach against democracy in the mosques — and through acts of violence.

Dorm Living for Professionals Comes to San Francisco

‘I Have No Idea How to Tell This Horror Story’

The Nazi Downstairs: A Jewish Woman’s Tale of Hiding in Her Home

We must reassure people in the Arab world who either have lost hope in democracy because of its perceived failures or because they fell victim to the concentrated propaganda about democracy coming from television networks run by states and the intellectuals aligned with them.

When I use the term “democracy” I mean it in the broader sense of the term that overlaps with values such as liberty, checks and balances, accountability and transparency. We were aiming for these goals in the form of good governance, equality, and justice in the Arab world. There is another reason we need democracy now in the Arab world: to stop mass violence.

Today, there are two kinds of Arab countries. Some countries, such as Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Morocco, need democracy for good governance and the checks and balances it brings.

But for war-torn countries like Libya, Syria and Yemen, democracy would lead to some form of power sharing. It can be along the lines of the Afghanistan arrangement, where you bring all of the factions in one huge room and force them into an agreement on how to share power. The chief reason the wars in these countries are continuing is the lack of a mechanism for power sharing.

The immediate need for Libya, Syria and Yemen is not good governance, but a mechanism to stop the killing. Inevitably, the question of good governance will emerge. There is great hope for democracy in other countries that have not been mired in civil or internal conflict, such as Tunisia, which is struggling toward a lasting democratic system.

Many of my Tunisian friends, despite the progress they have made, are also worried about democracy. They do not want to appear to be preaching to the rest of the Arab world. They simply want to be left alone. Yet I still think that Tunisians have an important responsibility.

News channels that are supportive of freedom and political change in the Middle East should spend a considerable amount of time covering even municipal elections in Tunisia. Every Saudi, every Egyptian and every Syrian should see what the Tunisians are enjoying. I hope it will inspire the rest of the Arab world to work for a similar form of government for themselves.

stood next to Prince Mohammed, he made this point and he was correct to do so. We need to support the crown prince in his effort to reform Saudi Arabia because if we let him down, he will come under pressure from radical elements who are not willing to reform.

These limited reforms and the general political condition of the Arab world today are adding strength to the argument of the anti-democracy forces. This unfortunate reality puts more responsibility on our shoulders to resume our work and to redouble our efforts to push for democracy in the Arab world as a realistic choice for people and a solution to the failure of many Arab states.

Jamal Khashoggi was a Washington Post Global Opinions contributing columnist.

Real democracy is the only solution to problems like sissy, MBS, MBZ and their likes in the Muslim world.

When will these Pakistanis tell Chinese that they need democracy?

Real democracy is the only solution to problems like sissy, MBS, MBZ and their likes in the Muslim world.

How are the elections going in Bangladesh?

Suadia already has a democracy. A terrorist family is ruling Najd and Arabia for 230 years thanks to British, yankees and israelis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wahhabism

What is the Islamic interpretation of Democracy?
Some say only Quresh tribe can be leaders of Muslims?

When will these Pakistanis tell Chinese that they need democracy?

How are the elections going in Bangladesh?

What is the Islamic interpretation of Democracy?
Some say only Quresh tribe can be leaders of Muslims?
Imamat of the most righteous person as leader of a society. The most righteous person should choose by assembly of experts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_of_Experts

Presidents, heads, parliament members, etc... should choose by direct people’s vote in completely free and democratic competitions.

There shouldn’t be monarchies like many European countries and there shouldn’t be just two predestined candidates in presidential position like jew sponsored country US.

Presidents shouldn’t be eternal like Turkey.

Last edited:
Bangladesh has a flourishing democracy. The populace rebelled against Pakistan for democracy.
Now enjoy

Why do you ask question when you have your own answer ? I know many Pakistanis like you don't want democracy in BD.

Why do you ask question when you have your own answer ? I know many Pakistanis like you don't want democracy in BD.

Bangladesh is the strongest democracy in the region as showcased by its rapidly growing GDP and HDI FDI BDI SDI EDI LULI

Democracy is not Given... it's earned...
All this "Arab Revolution" is BS... it was never an "Arab thing"...But only a Tunisian one...

No one in the Entire Arab World (Except Tunisia) was ready for a Democracy... When Fear is seen as a rightful emotion to legitimate any ruling ideology... You know it's not their time yet to rise...

"Behaving as a Hero...Doesn't Make you one."

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom