What's new

Your thoughts on Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb (Saladin) ?

I don't know what he was really like but the movie surely made him look like a good guy.
he was a good guy when he liberated jerusalem he didnt kill any innocent citizens and let them to leave the city
but when crusaders did the same they killed most of the muslims civilians living in jerusalem

Salah-ud-din or Saladin was the King of Kings, Under his rule only Jerusalem was recaptured back. His battlefield and Ware-fare analysis was just out of the box. He was a superb commander and strategist. Under his resign all Europe feared him, not only to this day he is very well respected in European books. He was kind king, remember the dialogue from this movie "I AM NOT THOSE MEN, I AM SALAHUDIN, SALAHUDIN"

Salah-ud-din or Saladin was the King of Kings, Under his rule only Jerusalem was recaptured back. His battlefield and Ware-fare analysis was just out of the box. He was a superb commander and strategist. Under his resign all Europe feared him, not only to this day he is very well respected in European books. He was kind king, remember the dialogue from this movie "I AM NOT THOSE MEN, I AM SALAHUDIN, SALAHUDIN"

Best line in the movie, indeed.....!

I came to know about him when i was 14 while playing Strategy game Age of the kings / Conquerors. All the campaigns had cinematography - a tale of crusader who was a prisoner taken by Saladin. While he admired saladin continuously in that cinematography , the crusaders were portayed as Ruthless cold blooded murderers. I was surprised- why on earth a game produced in USA was glorifying a muslim king? That was the day i fell in love Saladin and the crusades.

If you want to learn about crusade the easiest way most probably is youtube vîdeos. I recommend ' the crusades' by tery jones.

I once opened a thread - unfortunately it does not cover saladin, only first crusade.

https://defence.pk/threads/first-crusade-discussion.217052/

Christian world revere him for his treatment of Jerusalem upon its capture. There are streets named after him in the Christian countries even today. He exemplifies how a Muslim General ought to be. The conquest of Jerusalem and humane treatment of the population especially in the backdrop of a massacre of Muslims carried out by the crusaders in the earlier crusade, reminds of the conquest of Makkah by Prophet Muhammad PBUH and his Army.

Prophet issued a blanket amnesty for all Makkans even those who took refuge in the house of Abu Sufyan, his worst Makkan enemy. Over the years many Muslim Generals have broken the code of the Prophet (PBUH) and have ashamed our civilization by inflicting brutality over other cultures after they had been conquered. Nadir Shah is one of such examples. Breaking our own code lead to the decline of our civilization.

Salahuddin Ayyubi, popularly known in the West as Saladin, was a courageous and brilliant Muslim leader during the 12th century. His firm foundation in the religion and its prime values, leading to his commitment to the Islamic cause, enabled him to accomplish great things.

His Ayyubid Empire united Egypt and Syria. Above all, he played an instrumental role in turning the tide against the Crusaders by successfully reclaiming Jerusalem and earned a name for himself in the annals of both Muslim and Western history.

Saladin was born in 1137 AD in Tikrit, Iraq, and studied the Quran and theology along with astronomy, mathematics, and law. He joined the military as a young man and was ably trained by his uncle Asad-al-Din Shirkoh, a commander of the Zengid Dynasty. Saladin’s impressive performance in his early battles enabled him to take on leading responsibilities during military campaigns.

His rise from a soldier to the King of Egypt and Syria was the result of both cleverly executed tactics and advantageous circumstances. He held key posts in Egypt, enabling him to consolidate power and overthrow the Fatimids. Syria, at the time, was ruled by the Zengids; when the Zengid ruler unexpectedly died, leaving an underage successor, the road was eventually cleared for Saladin to capture Syria. During his reign, Saladin built many schools, hospitals, and institutions in his quest for intellectual and civic achievements. He was also determined to bring justice, peace, and prosperity to those within his domain.

Salahuddin is best known for repelling the Crusaders and reconquering Jerusalem. He defeated and decimated large numbers of the Crusaders in the decisive Battle of Hattin in July, 1187. On his way to Jerusalem, Saladin conquered almost every Crusader city. After a siege, Jerusalem was handed over to him in October of the same year. Subsequent efforts by the Crusaders to win back Jerusalem were resisted until they finally gave up and retreated homewards.

Although one would expect Saladin to be hated among the Crusader nations, he became one of the most esteemed Muslim figures of the medieval Islamic world because of the generosity he displayed towards the Christians despite the brutality Muslims had endured at the hands of the Crusaders. When the Christians had overtaken Jerusalem during the very first Crusade, they carried out mass atrocities and killings, creating a bloodbath in which the Muslim residents were the most prominent targets, as graphically documented in the PBS series Islam: Empire of Faith. In the words of the chronicler of Crusades, Raymond of Agiles, the massacre was so extensive that the Crusaders “rode in blood up to their knees and bridle reins.”

When Saladin retook Jerusalem, the Christians waited for a similar onslaught. However, Salahuddin not only spared the Christians but treated them honorably, allowing those who wished to leave to do so in peace, and for those who wished to stay to do so in harmony. Truly, he was a living example of the tolerant, progressive, and inclusive faith which was so dear to his heart. By showing restraint and peaceful treatment, Salahuddin was upholding the central tenets of Islam such as freedom of religion and protection of non-Muslims.

Moreover, his chivalrous conduct toward King Richard I, and the mutual respect which ensued despite their warring roles, won him further accolades in quarters that could not bring themselves to despise him. “When Richard falls sick at the siege of Acre in 1192, Saladin not only sends his personal physician Maimonides over to treat him, he sends ice to help him fight the fevers and certain healing fruits. When Richard’s horse is killed during battle, and the English king finds himself on foot facing the entire Muslim army, the Muslims let him walk by their entire phalanx without attacking. Later, Saladin sends him two fresh mounts so he will not be at a disadvantage,” wrote Michael Hamilton Morgan in Lost History.

According to the French historian, Rene Grousset, “It is equally true that [Saladin’s] generosity, his piety, devoid of fanaticism, that flower of liberality and courtesy, which had been the model of our old chroniclers, won him no less popularity in Frankish Syria than in the lands of Islam.”

Salahuddin Ayyubi died in 1193 AD at the age of 56. Although he was at the helm of a vast empire stretching from Egypt to Syria, he himself owned very little. At the time of his death, his property and assets included a horse and money which was not sufficient even to bury him. He had devoted his entire life to the service of Islam and his subjects, avoiding the pomp and splendor which often distract rulers. Indeed, he was the epitome of a true hero and a devoted Muslim.

Just recently saw the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" this afternoon, and the character of Saladin caught my eye and attention.
The ending part when he enters Jerusalem and picks up a fallen Crucifix and places it back on the Church Altar got me goosebumps!
Was it safe to say he was a fair ruler? Did he treat Jews, Christians and Muslims equally?

i don't know much of this fellow...but came to know abt him.frim the movie the " kingdom of heaven" . he seems to be a wise man with noble character...

Saladin was, in many ways, a reflection of our Caliphs of Old - who was just & fair to his subjects & to his enemies !
And Muslims, Jews & Christians were not treated equally in those times by anyone - Equality of this nature is a very recent thing but as a King he was fair to all of them !

Very good strategist,excellent politician and inspirational ledaer,practical commander with excellent understanding of logistics .Good siege warfare record.But Mediocre field battle tactician.

Initially he wasn't as good in character and did the same mistakes which were common for rulers at that time, i.e. abuse of power and killing of opposition. He then got defeated and his army was shattered, he narrowly escaped death in that war.
After that he reunited all tribes, made a grand army and vowed to dedicate his life for liberation of Jerusalem. He fought several wars to reclaim it and then to retain it till his death. It is said that he became very noble, humble and clever in his strategies after suffering that defeat. After conquering Jerusalem, he did showed mercy to Jews and Christians and didn't order massacre unlike Crusaders.
I read about Saladin few years back when i was in Intermediate FSc. @AUSTERLITZ kindly correct me, if me wrong...
He came into power brutally by suppressing Muslim States of Egypt, Syria,Palestine , He wanted to unite all Muslim states to arrange COMBINED final KNOCK-OUT to all EUROPEAN Forces.....
He was a man of destiny with Noble Character...
- He initiated concept of Modesty in Wars, as compared to previous wars of Romans & Persians , where they wont miss any change of annihilating other side
- He even allowed Christian Pilgrims (in wars) to visit their holy places, which resulted in espionage & further warfare's
- Instead of killing he adopted policy of taking Oath (not to fight against Muslim in life & leave the city), Even Balian promised, he will not fight again...

Saladin granted his request, provided that Balian not take up arms against him and not remain in Jerusalem for more than one day; however, upon arrival in the holy city, Patriarch Heraclius of Jerusalem, Queen Sibylla, and the rest of the inhabitants begged him to take charge of the defense of the city. Heraclius, who argued that he must stay for the sake of Christianity, offered to absolve him of the oath, and Balian agreed.

Surrender of Jerusalem
Balian handed over the Tower of David on October 2. It was announced that every inhabitant had a month to pay their ransom, if they could (the length of time was perhaps 30 to 50 days, depending on the source). Saladin freed a number of slaves, as did his brother Saphadin. Balian and Heraclius freed many others with their own money. The ransomed inhabitants marched away in three columns; the Templars and Hospitallers led the first two, with Balian and the Patriarch leading the third. Balian joined his wife and family in Tripoli. According to the Muslim chronicler Imad ad-Din al-Isfahani, Heraclius took with him church treasures and reliquaries

- Rich Knights flew from city with Treasures without paying ransom money for their christian brothers, which saladin & his brother Adil freed them with Promise not to fight again,later on the way back to europe they met & Join Great army of Richard (the lion heart) & Fredrick Barbarossa

If I am not mistaken Hassan Bin Sabbah and Salahuddin Ayyubi were in the same era?

@wasm95 It was an Indian troll - killed.

If I am not mistaken Hassan Bin Sabbah and Salahuddin Ayyubi were in the same era?

Yes, Salahuddin eroded Hassan Bin Sabbah's terrorist organization to a great extent but it was eradicated by Mongols.

Yes, Salahuddin eroded Hassan Bin Sabbah's terrorist organization to a great extent but it was eradicated by Mongols.

My history lecturer in Delhi was in awe of Saladin. He would usually digress from the topic and discuss Saladin and his conquests at length
He was the most Noble man of that Era , he was the first man who adopted policy of kindness in wars , which was not happened in previous East/West fights of Romans/Persians battles history, He even TOOK Oath with Prisnor Knights that they will not fight him again in their Life, on that basis he set them FREE

Hassan bin SAbbah & Saladin were not CONTEMPORARY, they're ASSASSIANS like Talibans of today are ASSASSIAN OF PAKISTANI & MUSLIM BLOOD
Hassan bin Sabbah are called Assassins in History, they even tried to killed Saladin, they succeeded killing few soldiers of Saladin (as warning)

Last edited:
As already pointed out by Austerlitz, he was a mediocare battle field general as can be seen from Arsuf, but an extremely intelligent man who for example at Hattin drew his enemies patiently into the trap before cutting of their water supplies and eventually slaughtering them. His treatment of Non Muslims is well known since when he captured Jerusalem, unlike the Crusaders who slaughtered every Jew and Muslim in the city, he gave safe passage to all Christians to the coastal forts like Acre and Tripoli that were still held by the Crusaders. It has to be said that though that although Salahuddin was a remarkable figure in himself, he often overshadows his uncle Shirkuh and former liege Nuredin Zengi, who played an instrumental role in uniting the Muslims of the Levant from Aleppo to Cairo and thus surrounding the Crusaders states on all sides except the sea. It was this base that Salahuddin inherited from the aforementioned men that subsequently gave him the men and resources to gradually push out the Crusaders.

@wasm95 It was an Indian troll - killed.

What i was amazed at finding out was that Salahuddin was not Arab, but of Kurdish origin?

Are Kurdish people original inhabitants of the Middle East, or are they Eurasian migrants that settled in the Middle East?

Back
Top Bottom