What's new

Mohammad Rizwan praying on NYC streets

What's the purpose of praying on the streets or in public? its NYC, there is a mosque on every other street corner within a 2 mile radius.
It is essentially virtue signalling, as in religious 'one upmanship', as in 'I am holier than thou, heathen'. It is more for self aggrandizement than it is about being spiritual.

they're quite the pious bunch, Matthew Hayden spoke some about it about how the squad would all gather and bray 5 times a day etc during his sting as temp coach (but just in passing and as an observation, wasn't having a go at them or anything)

who these guys in the pic, Sarfaraz Nawaz ? and ??
Lol, that's not pious or being a Mullah. That's just basic stuff. Call it practicing Muslim. Pious starts after that. You are the opposite of pious if you don't pray.

This is just a misunderstanding on Hayden and the readers part. Christianity (the first contact with religion westerners, athiest or otherwise, have) is such a dead religion that even going to the Church once a week is considered a big deal.

Thanks for this attitude of the old guard , now it has become the birth right for some to Block traffic ,occupy grounds, any available public space to pray.
So what happened in the US, in New York, will now be used by some rotten bigots to bully Indian citizens in Gurgaon?

Good thinking.

Anyone asked you to be Home Minister yet? You have the character and the temperament.

I remember watching that Shehzad incident live, really odd behavior during and after a cricket match of all places.

Its a symptom of Pakistani society in general, it all went a bit weird after the Zia/CIA Islamist experiment in the 80s. Imagine this happening now :lol:

sadiq-moh-mushtaq-moh-dawn-nfp_slide-96486a85e53de68db40aaaf67632c742a1e753b3-s800-c15.jpg
Why not?

All that is likely to happen is a friendly neighbourhood stoning.

Are you muslim?

do you pray? lol, where do you get off calling people hypocrites/munafiqs for praying?

How did you extrapolate that verse to mean don't pray in public? and then decide that those who pray in public are actually munafiqs(hypocrites)? Where did you get this understanding? what tafsir? or do you like to pick vague out of context quotes to push your own agenda?

First and foremost lets get something out of the way, there is no impermissibility to praying outside, and no daleel for this claim, in fact there is proof going the other way of permissibility of prayer outside, namely narrations of the sahabah praying outside while they are being observed by the pagans of mecca. So don't bother making such weak arguments and trying to use a theological basis b/c its quite easy to refute. You are better off trying to argue from a secular basis.

Secondly, this person praying right outside is more out of a matter of convenience than anything else, he was visiting downtown manhattan, and if it was maghrib, the timing window is quite short for maghrib, even if he wanted to pray inside, he would find it difficult, as he is traveling by car, and he would struggle to find streetside parking in lower manhattan, let alone parking close to a masjid. One would need to find a parking garage, put the car there, pay $50-60 dollars to park, make the transaction, then go park, then walk all the way to a masjid, pray then walk back and then wait until he can exit the parking garage in the que. He could do all this, or... pull over to the side of the road, do 3 rakats fard which will take 2-3 min max, get back in the car and drive away. he isn't bothering anyone and its newyorkcity, no one cares about anything around them, there are homeless people sleeping, there are all sorts of crazy things happening around people(people getting mugged, ppl fking outside, drunks walking around, people getting high on drugs), someone praying in the corner or on the side would not even register on people's radar, let alone bother anyone. when looking at it in that context, its quite easy to see which one is the path of least resistance.

Lastly on the matter of praying in public, and whether it serves the interests of muslimeen/Islam, the act itself is a form of dawah and serves the maslaha, not that it is the primary reasoning for this individual and others, more often its mostly convenience, you are outside and the prayer time comes, and you get it out of the way in 2-3 min, then return to your work. but nonetheless it serves the curiosity of people, some people inquire and wish to learn more, eid salah in public for instance tend to garner people's curiosity.
If you know you must pray five times a day and if you already know your daily routines, then IF you are a humble religious person, you would have made provisions to pray five times in private somewhere.

Lol, that's not pious or being a Mullah. That's just basic stuff. Call it practicing Muslim. Pious starts after that. You are the opposite of pious if you don't pray.

This is just a misunderstanding on Hayden and the readers part. Christianity (the first contact with religion westerners, athiest or otherwise, have) is such a dead religion that even going to the Church once a week is considered a big deal.
Find it a bit ott, this whole come hell or high water, even on a crowded subway or a busy street, bray in public.

Why not be a little flexible, wait till you home etc, and then pray ? devotion etc to heart me hoti hai.. this comes across a bit showy?

don't have a problem with it, I'd just shrug, roll my eyes, and walk right past if I saw someone do it on a crowded road.. google map the nearest park or something, find a quiet corner.. ye kya sadak ke beech me ? :laugh:

Find it a bit ott, this whole come hell or high water, even on a crowded subway or a busy street, bray in public.

Why not be a little flexible, wait till you home etc, and then pray ? devotion etc to heart me hoti hai.. this comes across a bit showy?

don't have a problem with it, I'd just shrug, roll my eyes, and walk right past if I saw someone do it on a crowded road.. google map the nearest park or something, find a quiet corner.. ye kya sadak ke beech me ? :laugh:
Prayers are time-bound. You can pray at any time but there are 5 prayers a day that are compulsory and time-bound. there. Maybe he was out of time but then again, someone pointed out there are mosques "everywhere" in NYC. Idk

But, I am not commenting on his decision to pray right. If I were him, I'd try to find some solitude as it's VERY easy to get distracted during prayers. I am commenting on the decision of a gangu who decided to make a thread on it.

Last edited:
everything ? :D

proselytizing is a bit weird to us Gangus.
Thing is, being the oldest religion. You never had to work your way up the ladder. Those that came after you, had to challenge Hindu supremacy, like the Buddhists. You were the establishment and the others were the challengers.

Muslims have always been challengers. When it's was the other way around, there wasn't really any opposition. Countries/nations/tribes that became Muslim, stayed that way. There have been no challengers afterwards. Barring heresies like Qadyanis etc but those present themselves as sects within Islam, not different religions.

@Areesh , how far off the mark am I?

So what happened in the US, in New York, will now be used by some rotten bigots to bully Indian citizens in Gurgaon?

Good thinking.

Anyone asked you to be Home Minister yet? You have the character and the temperament.

Why not?

I don't care what happens in NYC,

I was commenting on the mindset of the previous generations back home like yours in the name of appeasement which led us to this situation in the first place.

With all due respect , are you one of the guys who believe that one fine day hundreds of guys as coincidence gathered on the road and started praying for one time blocking the road.

Thing is, being the oldest religion. You never had to work your way up the ladder. Those that came after you, had to challenge Hindu supremacy, like the Buddhists. You were the establishment and the others were the challengers.

Muslims have always been challengers. When it's was the other way around, there wasn't really any opposition. Countries/nations/tribes that became Muslim, stayed that way. There have been no challengers afterwards. Barring heresies like Qadyanis etc but those present themselves as sects within Islam, not different religions.
I like ki expansionist scene nahi hai, mindset bhi nahi hai. Some get on it of their own accord, apart from the hare krishna iskon lot, but those are goras who were earlier christians, unki aadat hai convert karna.. India me generally nahi hota hai.

Here we do ghar wapasi. :D

I remember watching that Shehzad incident live, really odd behavior during and after a cricket match of all places.

Its a symptom of Pakistani society in general, it all went a bit weird after the Zia/CIA Islamist experiment in the 80s. Imagine this happening now :lol:

sadiq-moh-mushtaq-moh-dawn-nfp_slide-96486a85e53de68db40aaaf67632c742a1e753b3-s800-c15.jpg
Why not?

I don't care what happens in NYC,
Oh, you do care. You care because some hapless Muslim was involved, and it gave you an opportunity to vent your Islamophobia. If it had not been for that incident, you would have seemed to have been your vulgar, riot-inciting, castrated and wounded self by raising some Muslim habit in India that roused your anger.

New York gave you a safe shelter to hide behind and to utter some unctuous truism about the older generation that would let you do your own barely concealed hate speech.

How do you sleep at night?

With all due respect , are you one of the guys who believe that one fine day hundreds of guys as coincidence gathered on the road and started praying for one time blocking the road.
With all due respect, we kept the law in our own places of stay. For you to try to foist the sleazy attitudes of your fellow north Indians onto the whole of India is really the limit.

decision of a gangu
Consider yourself negative rated.

You did not get one because the provocation offered to you was high.

everything ? :D

proselytizing is a bit weird to us Gangus.

Tumharai paas kuch hai nahi propogate karnai k liye is ka matlab yeh nahi k humarai paas bhi nahi

@Areesh , how far off the mark am I?

Agreed

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom