What's new

Why pray in Arabic and not in a language we understand?

All Muslims recite their 5 prayers each day in Arabic, not only Pakistani Muslims. This is the way our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught us to pray. And the original format of Quran, which was revealed to humans in Arabic language, is the most accurate.

And all you indians here,ask your Indian Muslims why they pray in Arabic instead of thanking all the people questioning this.

Why do you want Pakistani Muslims to distance ourselves from Islam, so we can be hated more in the Muslim world?

Or so Afghanis can tell our Pakhtuns, see we told you Pakistani Muslims are not real Muslims they read prayers in Urdu/Hindi, come back to Afghanistan.

All of you people endorsing this are enemies of Pakistan and enemies of Muslims. You were not satisfied after Pakistan was broken down in 1971, you want Pakistan to disappear form the world map.

THE ONLY THING HOLDING PAKISTAN IS ISLAM. WITHOUT ISLAM, THERE IS NO REASON WHY THERE SHOULD BE A PAKISTAN IN THE FIRST PLACE. THE ONLY THING THE FOUR PROVINCES OF PAKISTAN HAVE IN COMMON IS ISLAM.

I could not have thought of a more perfect example of the coercion, the compulsion inherent in a conscience run by the state.

THE ONLY THING HOLDING PAKISTAN IS ISLAM. WITHOUT ISLAM, THERE IS NO REASON WHY THERE SHOULD BE A PAKISTAN IN THE FIRST PLACE. THE ONLY THING THE FOUR PROVINCES OF PAKISTAN HAVE IN COMMON IS ISLAM.

Assalam alaikum

To hit islam they must try to take us away from quran as a first step then they will bring us their translated u.s ( u.s is an example it could be in a muslim country since iraq fell i have heard new verses in quran ) published quran. and if someone objected they will call him wahaibi takfiri and doesnot accept plurism in islam
insahAllah they will not succeed

TARIQ

Assalam alaikum

To hit islam they must try to take us away from quran as a first step then they will bring us their translated u.s ( u.s is an example it could be in a muslim country since iraq fell i have heard new verses in quran ) published quran. and if someone objected they will call him wahaibi takfiri and doesnot accept plurism in islam
insahAllah they will not succeed

TARIQ

If i remember correctly in Kuwait copies of Qur'an with mistakes were found.

I could not have thought of a more perfect example of the coercion, the compulsion inherent in a conscience run by the state.

isn't that the dam truth.... If religion is the only cohesive of the four states of Pakistan then there will be internal battles based on egotism, then the actual statehood.... For example:

Omar1984

Or so Afghanis can tell our Pakhtuns, see we told you Pakistani Muslims are not real Muslims they read prayers in Urdu/Hindi, come back to Afghanistan.
All of you people endorsing this are enemies of Pakistan and enemies of Muslims. You were not satisfied after Pakistan was broken down in 1971, you want Pakistan to disappear form the world map.

If i remember correctly in Kuwait copies of Qur'an with mistakes were found and they we printed in USA

Assalam alaikum

yes and i guess they named it alfurqan and i heard verses about jihad were out of it ( no wonder ppl r talking against jihad coz their master is telling them lol )

TARIQ

nahhh, i dont think Arabic is any more "beautiful" than languages spoken in our country; or the plethora of other languages out there

Quran is in Arabic language; Prophet PBUH was an Arab. Majority of Muslims happen to be non-Arabs. When they learn Quran they also learn the meanings. It would be very bad I think if people just recite prayers and dont know what the hell they are saying (and this does happen too, unfortunately)

therefore, religious guide books or Quran are available everywhere -- with Arabic on one page and the translation on following page in over 180 languages.....

where there's will, there's a way.....the will to understand the religion and pursue it would should naturally

isn't that the dam truth.... If religion is the only cohesive of the four states of Pakistan then there will be internal battles based on egotism, then the actual statehood.... For example:

It is painfully obvious to all except the uniformed variety and their political acolytes and proxies, that Islam as it is practiced in Pakistan today, is actually a divisive force in society - the reason it is divisive is that the state coerces the adherent in to a dogmatism that is recognized as alien - and you known, people do not give ordinary Pakistanis enough credit, they know that their everyday issues were bread and butter issues, but know saying the "wrong thing" will get you killed, entire sections of society are using religion as their "liberation" ideology -- all of this was fine so long as the Indian or the Afghan was on the receiving end - but if this variety of islam is good for the Indian and the Afghan, it must do wonders for the Pakistanis, right?

Actually the problem has to do with "compulsion" La iqra Fideen is a basic idea - If someone wants to recite prayers or read Quran in whatever language they want, what possible objection can anyone else have to what any individual chooses for him or herself - but when the state uses her power to coerce and force people, well then, that's what all of this ferment is really about.

It is not an accident that newspapers and blogs are full of these ideas - fact of the matter is people are sick and tired of being forced to embrace this false religiosity - When ever people are forced to give up their conscience to the state, there will always be a rejection of this idea.

Muse nobody forces you to pray.. or fast ..do they??
There is nothing wrong in reading or understanding the Quran in whatever language you want..
however when it comes to prayers, supplications.. there is a particular language that exists and is prescribed for you to offer it on. Be it for a myriad of reasons ranging from uniformity in thought or perhaps preserving a technique that was laid down by the Prophet. The same goes for reciting the Quran.. at least once in your life and more if possible in its original form.
Religion is not a Darwinian process that you evolve from something to the other.
There are basic tenets that were laid down to follow and a guideline to interpret for all Mankind.
It had NOTHING to do with Arbism.. persianism or the Bolsheviks..

Coming to the current spate of columns.. most of these writers have a burden of living in a country derided for its extremist outlook.. and resulting alienation from the "progressive" west due to it. To that end they raise both valid.. and invalid points to direct blame on other people apart from themselves. They can blame the Najdi Arabs (the current illgotten custodians of the mosques) for their role in ruining our religious and cultural identities.. They can blame the Army for its acquiescence to the former's attempts at radicalizing our society. But in the end they must take the blame for themselves as well.
They do not bother to read or understand their religion despite their many qualifications.. dismissing the subject before even opening a single book on the matter. And then when no counter balance to an educated lot with understanding of the Quran and Sunnah exists.. and in the gap you have ignorant illiterate fools taking up the flag of Islam in this nation. They decide its something wrong with Islam that the horrors in our nation are occurring.
You never bothered to identify with the religion.. and now when others are distorting it.. you blanket condemn it using all sorts of excuses from cultural invasion to Illiteracy as bullets.

Firstly i want all the Muslim to know I am not here to bad mouth anyone and don't want to offend anyone by what I am going to say, and to the non-Muslims i don't need the this is why you are a target of religious fundamentalists routine and mocking of the way most of us pray, I just want a sincere and clear answer.

The question

Since it was Ramadan so in the taraweeh the the Imam recited the complete Quran and like all devoted Muslims I stood behind him for almost 1 1/2 hours daily and offered them but a question came into my mind that how beautiful it would have been if i would have been able to understand what the Imam was saying and apply them into my daily life ( don't get me wrong i have read the Quran with translation in urdu once), then i thought wouldn't it be better if we just prayed in our own language so that we may have a stronger bond with Allah SWT and have a more spiritual rather then physical Nimaz???Allah is aware of what is in our hearts and minds and he can understand all languages so why only pray in Arabic, ''unity'' may be one answer but then we can make public prayer like ''Azan'' in Arabic so that all may know of it but offer ''nimaz'' in our own language so that we may know of it...

There would have been many advantages to this other then religious we as a nation would finally understand our Islamic moral ideals and how practical and relaxed they are, i admit some people do study the Quran with translation but I am talking about the masses of uneducated people who fall pray to proxy mullahs due to the very fact that they don't understand what is in the Quran.

Please comment and i say again non-Muslim brothers please don't mock anything or anyone in this post or there will be retaliation ........

I stand to be corrected so as to remove this confusion so brothers with knowledge share your wisdom with me......
We pray in Arabic because its the original language of Quran and the words in it can't be exactly translated in any other language it has whole wisdom in it because it is the language which ALLAH choose for the last Quran and we can't get that wisdom in any other language

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

It is painfully obvious to all except the uniformed variety and their political acolytes and proxies, that Islam as it is practiced in Pakistan today, is actually a divisive force in society - the reason it is divisive is that the state coerces the adherent in to a dogmatism that is recognized as alien - and you known, people do not give ordinary Pakistanis enough credit, they know that their everyday issues were bread and butter issues, but know saying the "wrong thing" will get you killed, entire sections of society are using religion as their "liberation" ideology -- all of this was fine so long as the Indian or the Afghan was on the receiving end - but if this variety of islam is good for the Indian and the Afghan, it must do wonders for isthe Pakistanis, right?
Islam is the only solution but secular traitors are the disease for this country

@ Omar1984

I would disagree with the fact that the only thing common between the 4 provinces
is Islam. There are a lot of other things, this region has had a common culture since a long time,
it was ruled by various kingdoms and empires. The muslims of this region were always different from the Muslims
of south India, Bengal etc...and that is why it was proposed to separate this region and create a new
state of Pakistan out of it...ie Punjab Afghania Kashmir Sindh baluchisTAN...I is for pronounciation ...hence
Pakistan is the name of the region which has alot in common.

@ Omar1984

I would disagree with the fact that the only thing common between the 4 provinces
is Islam. There are a lot of other things, this region has had a common culture since a long time,
it was ruled by various kingdoms and empires. The muslims of this region were always different from the Muslims
of south India, Bengal etc...and that is why it was proposed to separate this region and create a new
state of Pakistan out of it...ie Punjab Afghania Kashmir Sindh baluchisTAN...I is for pronounciation ...hence
Pakistan is the name of the region which has alot in common.

yes our kabab's hail from NWFP as in chappli kebab's! our biryanis are sindhi our music is multani sufi and our honour culture hails from baloch!

Firstly i want all the Muslim to know I am not here to bad mouth anyone and don't want to offend anyone by what I am going to say, and to the non-Muslims i don't need the this is why you are a target of religious fundamentalists routine and mocking of the way most of us pray, I just want a sincere and clear answer.

The question

Since it was Ramadan so in the taraweeh the the Imam recited the complete Quran and like all devoted Muslims I stood behind him for almost 1 1/2 hours daily and offered them but a question came into my mind that how beautiful it would have been if i would have been able to understand what the Imam was saying and apply them into my daily life ( don't get me wrong i have read the Quran with translation in urdu once), then i thought wouldn't it be better if we just prayed in our own language so that we may have a stronger bond with Allah SWT and have a more spiritual rather then physical Nimaz???Allah is aware of what is in our hearts and minds and he can understand all languages so why only pray in Arabic, ''unity'' may be one answer but then we can make public prayer like ''Azan'' in Arabic so that all may know of it but offer ''nimaz'' in our own language so that we may know of it...

There would have been many advantages to this other then religious we as a nation would finally understand our Islamic moral ideals and how practical and relaxed they are, i admit some people do study the Quran with translation but I am talking about the masses of uneducated people who fall pray to proxy mullahs due to the very fact that they don't understand what is in the Quran.

Please comment and i say again non-Muslim brothers please don't mock anything or anyone in this post or there will be retaliation ........

I stand to be corrected so as to remove this confusion so brothers with knowledge share your wisdom with me......

My friend,congatulations on having prayed on LAilat ul Qadr, and may Allah give you sawab forit.Also acdcept my felicitations on having read the Quran with translation, which is necessary for all of us. However you need to d oit again and again to understand it in more depth.
Thje reason for prayers being in Arabic is as decreed by Allah SWT. His wisdom was based on the fact that the bible and other books were all debased and lost during translations. All the tafaseer are interpretations of the Quran, and those can vary as they reflect the writers understanding of the Quran and the prevalent scientific knowledge of the time. However, to preserve the sanctity of the Quran , it has been decreed that it be read in Arabic so that the same text is read from Saudi Arabia to PAkistan.
I hope it clears the confusion in your mind.
Araz

Back
Top Bottom