What's new

Why it's in Pakistan's best interest not to mess with Modi

The meeting between Prime Ministers Narendra Modi and Nawaz Sharif scheduled to be held on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit in Russia is unlikely to change the underlying relationship, even as it generates headlines. Every time Indian and Pakistani prime ministers attend the same international venue, there are always enormous unfulfilled expectations.

Modi is currently on an eight-dayvisit to the five Central Asian countries (Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan) and Russia. In Russia, he will participate in both the SCO and BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) summits.

Modi came to power seeking to transform India and has started in the arena of foreign policy. Modi and his advisors believe that economics is what will take India forward, both domestically as well as internationally. Modi’s foreign trips have centered on encouraging investment in India.

When it comes to India’s neighbourhood, Modi’s first act upon winning the general elections was to invite all South Asian heads of government to his inauguration ceremony. While South Asia remains critical for India, the Modi philosophy is that India is willing to go the extra distance for those countries which will reciprocate. So when it comes to India’s immediate neighbours, New Delhi will give aid, offer trade and lines of credit; in return, those countries are expected to understand India’s security and strategic needs. India is providing $2 billion in aid to Afghanistan and Nepal, $2 billion line ofcredit to Bangladesh.

When it comes to South East and Central Asia, Modi has focused on aid, trade and connectivity. So India has offered $1 billion in aid to Mongolia, $100 million to Vietnam and is investing in road and rail links in the region.

Nawaz Sharif came into power seeking to change Pakistan’s policies towards India and Afghanistan. However, like with his civilian predecessors, a silent coup by the military ensured that Pakistan’s foreign and security policies were not in his hands. As Ipoint out in my book Escaping India: Explaining Pakistan’s Foreign Policy Pakistan’s military-intelligence establishment frames foreign and security policy especially when it deals with India and Afghanistan. Pakistan faces an enormous domestic jihadi threat but India is still seen as the existential enemy and policy towards Afghanistan is still framed with India in mind.

Right from the 1990s India has sought to build economic ties with all its neighbours, including Pakistan. Pakistan’s leaders, primarily the military-intelligence establishment, have opposed deep economic ties with India arguing for a resolution of the Kashmir dispute before ties are normalised. As recently as June 2015, Sharif’s advisor on foreign affairs Sartaj Aziz stated that Pakistan would not hold talks with India on "Indian terms" and ruled out anydialogue if the agenda did not include "Kashmir and water issues".

What Pakistan’s establishment fails to understand is that border disputes have rarely prevented growth of economic ties between countries: China-Taiwan, China-Japan, China-South Korea and India-China. Instead, economic ties often help countries discuss disputes in a calmer atmosphere and build trust.

Pakistan may not want to build economic ties with India but all of Pakistan’s neighbours, including Afghanistan, seek these ties. The laws of economics dictate that if Pakistan does not align itself it will end up becoming isolated. When Afghan President Ashraf Ghani visited India in April 2015 hestated that if Pakistan did not give Afghanistan transit trade to India, Afghanistan would deny Pakistan the same into Central Asia.

Every Indian prime minister since 1947 has seen improving ties between India and Pakistan as their legacy. Modi is the first prime minister who sees a different legacy. In Modi’s worldview, India would be willing to build ties with Pakistan if the latter gave up proxy warfare and sought to economically integrate itself with its neighbours, India and Afghanistan.

If the Pakistani establishment thought that under Modi there would be business as usual, the last one year should have demonstrated how wrong they were. While India and Pakistan have normal relations and the two prime ministers speak to each other and exchange saris and mangos, India has not resumed the comprehensive dialogue process. When foreign secretary S Jaishankar visited Pakistan in March 2015, he was keen to emphasise his trip was part of his “SAARC yatra” and not a resumption of a dialogue process.

Similarly, in the last one year cross border firing on the line of control has often escalated as the Indian side has always responded strongly. As Indian home minister Rajnath Singh stated in April 2015, “India will never provoke conflict by being the first to open fire across the borders but will never back off.”

Meetings alone do not change policies; paradigm shifts are required to do that. Modi is trying to undertake a paradigm shift in India’s foreign policy. Modi is on a mission to take India into the next century and integrate India economically with countries around the world. If Pakistan’s leaders understand that they will benefit by economic integration instead of being aloof then the two countries can move forward, otherwise we will be back to handshakes, candles at Wagah and cricket diplomacy interspersed with sabre-rattling.

[HASHTAG]#Foreign[/HASHTAG] policy, #India-Pakistan Relations

Get the best of DailyO in your inbox every morning. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of DailyO.in or the India Today Group. The writers are solely responsible for any claims arising out of the contents of this article.

Writer
APARNA PANDE @aparna_pande
Aparna Pande is Research Fellow and Director of Hudson Institute's India Initiative in Washington DC. Her book 'Escaping India: Explaining India's Foreign Policy' was published by Routledge in 2011.

Why it's in Pakistan's best interest not to mess with Modi
@Areesh @Horus @waz @WebMaster @nair @SpArK @AUSTERLITZ

in my opinion
don’t be provoked by statements from him and his ministers
ignore his rants against Pakistan inside his country and during his visits
foil his attempt to escalate military confict along the eastern border through controlled but effective response
continue to rebuilding confidence likeAfghan taliban meeting with Kabul regime in Murree , impliment the Pak Afghan intelligence MoU
damage control and counter Indian efforts since the Kabul attack and border fights.

Sir Ji, yeh thread to Sunny Leone se bhi jyada garam ho raha hai. jis tarah se hab bul watan pakistani aapus mein lad rahe hai chup chaap side pe reh kar tamasha dekne mein hi bhaalai hai !!!:)
nanhe rajkumar tum samjhe nahi ... loot ka mazza tabhi hai jab karwaan me bhagdarr machii hui ho :devil:

Outside Bahawalpur there are pinds. 14 chaak BC, right outside of the Cant, I got a borr for the village and payed for that and the water pump. Previously they would come to my chaak 13 bc for water walking 3 miles. Anything else? Panj lakh lagay. I should have gave it to my family, but I decided to donate it to them.
very good although you are not very modest about boasting your philanthropy but its good deed indeed
now another challenge for you

be a good poster and stop fighting

Actually we do not think anything about Modi what is his mindset . The only issue is his voters and specially hardliner Hindus were expecting Modi would wage a war against Pakistan once he comes to power while most of us including me were saying on this very forum that he wont do anything stupid like that. Now under pressure from his hardline supporters he and his people recently started resorting to warmongering.

We are too busy in normalizing situation at our eastern side as that front is more important for us than india. we really do not know why your people are even mentioning Pakistan when it comes to Modi.

This write up makes no sense when it comes to Pakistan
I beg to differ from your analysis on some points raised by you :
1.Most Pakistani believe that they in fact know what 'terrorist' modi is thinking about Pakistan and he spends most of his time thinking about Pakistan
2. No Indian voted Modi to wage a war with Pakistan but many expected him to give a befitting reply to Pakistanis adventures.
3. Its only Pakistan media which keeps up its anti India tirade while most of Indians treat Pakistan just like any other neighbor, who is not very friendly.:pakistan: but its citizen are very friendly.

nanhe rajkumar tum samjhe nahi ... loot ka mazza tabhi hai jab karwaan me bhagdarr machii hui ho :devil:
Bhaiyya haathion ki ladaai mein lomdi ka kya kaam ?:o:

"Unfortunately Modi has already proven to be a lowly street urchin gang mentality. Barking at Pakistan until he got a little stick slap from Unkil Sam."

I must say, average Pakistani is unable think rationally when 'terrorist' Modi is the point of discussion. :
So do an Average Indian-nationalist-Hindu (INHus).

I have seen INHus claiming, Modi will build a Vedic space plane. hahahahah

"Unfortunately Modi has already proven to be a lowly street urchin gang mentality. Barking at Pakistan until he got a little stick slap from Unkil Sam."

....... Btw why Modi would give any sh!t about what Unkil Sam say. :

Obviously you are not well read enough, so why bother discussing with you.

Oh bhai jaan

Bharat is much more dependent on Unkil sam now than ever.

Trade and Aid both work in the same way. They bind the "giver" aka Unkil Sam to the "taker" aka Bharat (Veitname, S Korea, etc.) in way where Giver has a lot of control over taker.

But then if you belong to INHu gang, you will refuse to understand this.

Sadly.

1.Most Pakistani believe that they in fact know what 'terrorist' modi is thinking about Pakistan and he spends most of his time thinking about Pakistan
2. No Indian voted Modi to wage a war with Pakistan but many expected him to give a befitting reply to Pakistanis adventures.
3. Its only Pakistan media which keeps up its anti India tirade while most of Indians treat Pakistan just like any other neighbor, who is not very friendly.:pakistan: but its citizen are very friendly.

Bhaiyya haathion ki ladaai mein lomdi ka kya kaam ?:o:
larai ke baad ek haathi maar jayega aur ek itna kamzor ho jayega ki khud ko lomrio ke hamle se nahi bachha payega .... kya samjhe :devil:

Most Pakistanis do not know Modi kis poond ka naam ha.

:lol: so when is modi attacking Pakistan?

. Its only Pakistan media which keeps up its anti India tirade while most of Indians treat Pakistan just like any other neighbor, who is not very friendly.:pakistan: but its citizen are very friendly.

It means you are ignorant about Pakistani Media

Correction needed, he is trying to create a "CHANCE"

well why give him a chance but judging by recent remarks by almost all hub bul watan pakistanies on media and social media dont you think your nation is doing just the opposite :azn:

So do an Average Indian-nationalist-Hindu (INHus)
Why bring religion in Nationalism. Since you don't know about India which had Presidents, Prime Ministers, Supreme Court Chief Justices, Army Chiefs from different religious beliefs. It sure is difficult to explain a painting to a blind person.

Why it is in Modi's interest not to mess with Pakistan

$tupid article that is stuck in a time that is gone by many many years ago.

Modi made so many statements, but then backed off doing mew like a wet pussy.

This is not a India-Nepal or India-Bdesh talk that Modi has been doing as bakwas for so many days.

I had great hope from this so called "pragmatic" PM

But he turns out to be "pregnant" with RSS $hit propaganda.

Really sad to see.
But last time I seen PAK running to UN / US /China for first time asking India to stop firing...... never happened pre Modi era.......

if anyone knows MODI , he never leave its enemy be its political, he wait for right and destroyed it. He single handily make US diplomat carrier end and in short US apologies. US Ambassador has to wait for week in line before meeting the MODI. Never happen in any other country.

Why it is in Modi's interest not to mess with Pakistan

$tupid article that is stuck in a time that is gone by many many years ago.

Modi made so many statements, but then backed off doing mew like a wet pussy.

This is not a India-Nepal or India-Bdesh talk that Modi has been doing as bakwas for so many days.

I had great hope from this so called "pragmatic" PM

But he turns out to be "pregnant" with RSS $hit propaganda.

Really sad to see.
But last time I seen PAK running to UN / US /China for first time asking India to stop firing...... never happened pre Modi era.......

if anyone knows MODI , he never leave its enemy be its political, he wait for right and destroyed it. He single handily make US diplomat carrier end and in short US apologies. US Ambassador has to wait for week in line before meeting the MODI. Never happen in any other country.

Beta sahib

your ignorance is evident nay shining
showing us that your blind faith in Modi may lead you to the path of total ignorance.

Pakistan and Bharat both run to US/UN like Modi has been doing for last one year.

But blind followers of Modi cannot see this.

Most Pakistanis do not know Modi kis poond ka naam ha
It means you are ignorant about Pakistani Media
I wish you people could watch youtube.
just type 'Pakistan Modi' in the seach bar and watch how much Pakistani Media is obsessed with India and how much they hate 'terrorist' Modi
:lol: so when is modi attacking Pakistan?
I think you media is claiming India has started the war in Karachi, Balochistan and fata

I wish you people could watch youtube.
just type 'Pakistan Modi' in the seach bar and watch how much Pakistani Media is obsessed with India and how much they hate 'terrorist' Modi

I think you media is claiming India has started the war in Karachi, Balochistan and fata

NVM I can understand your knowledge is limited to youtube.

Beta sahib

your ignorance is evident nay shining
showing us that your blind faith in Modi may lead you to the path of total ignorance.

Pakistan and Bharat both run to US/UN like Modi has been doing for last one year.

But blind followers of Modi cannot see this.
Sorry , care to show .... in last border fight Indian ( Modi govt.) requesting UN to stop PAK or intervene ? its only PAk reached and UN advice to resolve difference with India by talking . ( Said Sorry)

Modi is now using all diplomatic tools to humiliate PAK, Like for the first time in History
A) India interrupted PAK on J&K in invoke the Right to reply then and their.
B) For first time India bring PAK under UN financial wing to watch PAK compliance on terror funds. ( this one might lead to automatic sanctions, china cant stop this)

What is Right of Reply? - India's First Use of Right of Reply Against Pakistan Over Kashmir Issue | My IndiaAt UN, India uses 'right of reply' to cut short Pakistan's Kashmir blame game | Business Insider India

UN body to monitor Pakistan's compliance of sanction on Dawood, Lakhvi - The Express Tribune

Ceasefire violations: Pakistan presses for UN intervention - The Express Tribune

these 2 above things never happened before modi .

Back
Top Bottom