What's new

Why is English given so much importance in the subcontinent ??

bdw I am learning a bit of Chinese as well from her.

Ni Hao ? Xao Xa hao! Wata Mesa sha Aka123!!

Dragon is called Long, Thank you - Sisiya, Panda - Xao Mao, Come here - Kwo Laye, Bangladesh - Manjyalagwa, India - Yindu, Pakistan - Bajistan, China - Chongu :D

I am trying to write Chinese using English script, so spellings are not correct.

Hey, that is pretty good. :D

The official spellings are a bit different (you are writing it by how it sounds), but I got what you meant. Sisiya should be Xie xie, Xao Mao should be Xiong mao, Kwo Laye should be Guo lai, etc.

But the way you are writing it, it's easily understandable so it's good as well.

That's true.

Chinese people who go overseas have to spend a LOT of time improving their English-language competency, whereas an Indian person would not have to do all that extra hard work since they already know English.

Which is clearly a disadvantage for us.

However on the bright side, it helps to stop brain-drain, at least a little bit.

I told her Indian and Chinese people fight in Social networking site. She told me, why you fight, no work is it ? I was embarrassed. Told her I don't fight.

She's a good friend of mine. :)

But why didn't India choose a native dialect as their National language instead? Like Sanskrit.

Sun Yat-sen was a Cantonese Hakka himself, yet he chose Mandarin as the National Language of China.

People still speak their home dialects of course (Shanghainese, Hokkien, etc.), but it's useful to have a native language as your Lingua Franca.

Because Sanskrit was never a language spoken by masses. we do not like it and English is a better option.

That's true.

Chinese people who go overseas have to spend a LOT of time improving their English-language competency, whereas an Indian person would not have to do all that extra hard work since they already know English.

Which is clearly a disadvantage for us.

However on the bright side, it helps to stop brain-drain, at least a little bit.

That is true one of my cousins who is studying in Canada
was telling me that Chinese here spend day & night to Improve their English

But why didn't India choose a native dialect as their National language instead? Like Sanskrit.

Sun Yat-sen was a Cantonese Hakka himself, yet he chose Mandarin as the National Language of China.

People still speak their home dialects of course (Shanghainese, Hokkien, etc.), but it's useful to have a native language as your Lingua Franca.

You can't compare diversity of CHinese languages to Indian languages

Our languages belong to totally different 3 distinct groups. and we believe in maintaining diversity
i.e, not forcing one native language over the other...

I would love if everyone speak and understand Urdu in here then i will feel more comfortable in speaking Urdu which i would love too because i can express myself better in my own language .

U have just point it out.. I would love if everyone talks Tamil, and I can express better. But I cannot expect others to speak my language nor others expect me to speak theirs.
There is a need for a common link. I am proud of my tamil language, and its no inferiorty complex.
Its called adaptability and process of interlinking

U have just point it out.. I would love if everyone talks Tamil, and I can express better. But I cannot expect others to speak my language nor others expect me to speak theirs.
There is a need for a common link. I am proud of my tamil language, and its no inferiorty complex.
Its called adaptability and process of interlinking

North Indians seriously need to learn this :enjoy:
& also some Bitch slapping is needed

Hey, that is pretty good. :D

The official spellings are a bit different (you are writing it by how it sounds), but I got what you meant. Sisiya should be Xie xie, Xao Mao should be Xiong mao, Kwo Laye should be Guo lai, etc.

But the way you are writing it, it's easily understandable so it's good as well.

But one thing I observed. You guys, can't eat spicy food at all. She called us so many times for dinner, we went and ate, but when we called her (that day I prepared food to keep the spice levels low), still nope she was unable to have. Told us it's spicy!! Indian food, very spicy. Again Embarrassment for us. She just had White rice and fried fish,no Chicken, no gravy at all. So after that we never tried to prepare food, whenever she's there, we go to Chinese Buffet! :D

India has over 28 languages. We would be in bureaucratic nightmare if we didn't have a common language which could be used in foreign countries who also use it for official purposes.

It has nothing to do with inferiority complex or some abstract notion. One has to be practical.

But one thing I observed. You guys, can't eat spicy food at all. She called us so many times for dinner, we went and ate, but when we called her (that day I prepared food to keep the spice levels low), still nope she was unable to have. Told us it's spicy!! Indian food, very spicy. Again Embarrassment for us. She just had White rice and fried fish,no Chicken, no gravy at all. So after that we never tried to prepare food, whenever she's there, we go to Chinese Buffet! :D

That's very true. :P Most Chinese food is not that spicy, so we are not used to it.

The exception though, is people from Sichuan. They are crazy about spicy food. (I think people overseas spell it as Szechwan).

Actually, as far as I have noticed, its the girls who create an overscene on talking in English :P As if they want to attract everyone attention around them, they will speak english, as if they duno their native tongue!! Hate this attitude!
Why! do north indians dont speak their native much?

Actually, as far as I have noticed, its the girls who create an overscene on talking in English :P As if they want to attract everyone attention around them, they will speak english, as if they duno their native tongue!! Hate this attitude!
Why! do north indians dont speak their native much?
wait till girls read this....:butcher:

well m furious coz a frnd of mine is from a village......he cant speak english properly....bcoz of that many in my batch make fun of him..tease him and even humiliate him...and then they show this attitude "i know english i m so great".....pathetic losers.....i hate them all :pissed:

That's very true. :P Most Chinese food is not that spicy, so we are not used to it.

The exception though, is people from Sichuan. They are crazy about spicy food. (I think people overseas spell it as Szechwan).

True! In India Szechwan ChickenFried Rice is quite famous :D Its very spicy !

Back
Top Bottom