What's new

'Why don't you go to Pakistan?' : PM Hasina to Khaleda Zia

Where should they go then? Bangladesh has higher population density than Pakistan, if they can accommodate Biharis why can't Pakistan? They stood by your side till the end after all.

They need to integrate into Bangladesh where they have been living for decades, and since Bangladesh has already 'accommodated' them that will make the process easier. Besides, I've read a growing number of them are already Bangladeshi citizens or in the process of doing so.

Question is not "where should they go" it is "how to integrate" them into Bangladeshi society.

At best I think Pakistan may be able to accept a selective few based on individual potential.

They need to integrate into Bangladesh where they have been living for decades, and since Bangladesh has already 'accommodated' them that will make the process easier. Besides, I've read a growing number of them are already Bangladeshi citizens or in the process of doing so.

Question is not "where should they go" it is "how to integrate" them into Bangladeshi society.

At best I think Pakistan may be able to accept a selective few based on individual potential.

We didn't ask them to immigrate for the sake of a Pakistan or to be used as canon fodder in '71 for their individual potential. We asked loyalty and love for the country...they displayed that in abundance ! And now you want us to scrutinize this in such an emotionally disassociated manner and weigh each individual on 'what he or she has to offer' ! Mein tou backwaasss kar rahaa hun...but ask yourself what would Jinnah do in such a situation ?

Asking for apology is silly! There are allegation against Bangladesh army that they raped Chakma women during insurgency war, ask Chakmas. They will ask for apology! But bangladesh will never do it as apologizing means you are accepting all allegations! And the whole world knows what happened in 1971. Two-three conspiracy theory cant change fact! Pakistani general made a mess in east pakistan and ultimate opportunist india utilized it. Mukti bahini was mainly formed in July after three months of genocide and torture!

A proper investigation should be done and the vitims of the chakma community should be reprimanded. 2 wrongs do not make a right.

Fool, Pakistan's interest are primary, that is the higher principal. Why don't your Bihari loving self go adopt Bihari children and let them live with you in your house. Make sure you get them vaccinated before bringing them in the country. How's that?

Pakistan's interest are higher than Bihari interest okay. Simple for you?
every subcontinental muslime has the right to call Pakistan his home period. if you say no then pak does nt have reason to exist.

So how many Biharis should Pakistan take in? You do know there are over 900,000 of them. Where will they live, work, eat? Answer these basic questions, you're just emotional you plan for them to come but now how they will actually live.
there are another 10-15 million bihari muslims in india. another 30-40 million UP muslims. They all have the right to call Pak their home.

every subcontinental muslime has the right to call Pakistan his home period. if you say no then pak does nt have reason to exist.

there are another 10-15 million bihari muslims in india. another 30-40 million UP muslims. They all have the right to call Pak their home.

india has 17 -18 crores muslim population

r they all gonna fit in pakistan :laugh:

why not india give 3/4 states 2 the muslims

if u want 2 see another pakistan in india :rolleyes:

Technically everyone who voted for Muslim League before partition, has a right to call Pakistan and Bangladesh their home :woot:

But thats history I guess, Muslims in India are happy to be Indians. Least Pakistan can do is accept the stranded Biharis.

i dont know if they all can fit in pak. but this pak was created to accomodate all of south asian muslims. I am not asking muslims to go there. i am not saying that they partition india becaseu thats already done. most of hindus from pak have moved to india. in 1947 the % of land area given to pakistan was equal to the %age of muslims in the undivided country.
the rest who are in pak/BD have every right to call india thier home.
I am only saying that since Pak was built for sub continent muslims they sub continent muslims have right to call apk their home. period.

5ahxfl.jpg

Technically everyone who voted for Muslim League before partition, has a right to call Pakistan and Bangladesh their home :woot:

But thats history I guess, Muslims in India are happy to be Indians. Least Pakistan can do is accept the stranded Biharis.
I am not saying that indian muslims should go out. I am happy they are here. But should a muslim want to go , he has the right to go. similarly should a pak/bd hindu wan to come here he has the right to do so

to answer your first questeion .. YES..
BD has 150 million in 150000 sq km of land at about 1000 persons per sqkm
Pak has 180 mil in 750000 sqkm of land which is about 220 persons per sqkm.
If all 160m indian muslims go there the total will be only 340 millions which is still only about 450 persons per sqkm.

If BD can live with 1000 people per sq km... pak can thrive with 450 persons/sqkm..

If all 160m indian muslims go there the total will be only 340 millions which is still only about 450 persons per sqkm.

If BD can live with 1000 people per sq km... pak can thrive with 450 persons/sqkm..

Oh nahin bhai...lets wait till my Muslims brethren in India start breeding like rabbits and then we can conduct a referendum and get all the Muslim majority areas to secede to Pakistan or Bangladesh ! Hows the sound ?

P.S Joke thaaa....don't go on having an tantrum !

tu mazak kar raha hai r8?? :blink:

no need to fight, they are bangladeshi

Breaking the silence of the camps – Urdu speakers in Bangladesh

Published in The Independent, June 2010

Jessica Mudditt

Bangladesh’s newest group of citizens had much to celebrate last week
. In order to mark the second anniversary of the supreme court decision that recognized the Urdu-speaking community’s right to citizenship, an international photography competition and exhibition was held at Alliance Francaise in Dhanmondi. It was the first time in nearly 40 years that an exhibition has focused on Bangladesh’s Urdu-speaking community, who largely occupy the margins of mainstream society.
Justice Amirul Kabir Chowdhury, chairman of the National Human Rights Commission, inaugurated the exhibition last Tuesday in the presence of around 100 guests, many of whom live in Urdu-speaking camps in Dhaka. He said, “This is now your land and you are citizens of this country. So love this country and work for its government. And on our part, we will support you and work for your human rights.”

As well as increasing the visibility of the Urdu-speaking community, the exhibition also suggests a shift in attitudes towards them. Resentment towards Urdu-speakers for their perceived role as collaborators during the Liberation War of 1971 has led to the community being ostracized ever since. Those who have protested that it was a section of the Urdu-speaking community rather than the whole who sided with the West Pakistani army have mostly been ignored. However last Tuesday, several influential public figures attended the exhibition’s launch as a sign of solidarity. The well-known poet Asad Chowdhury said, “I realised that we are living in the same economic, cultural and environmental position, but unfortunately we do not know what each other is thinking or feeling. There is a wall between us.” Asad spoke of his admiration for classical Urdu poetry, and said that he recognizes a similarity between the identity crisis of the Urdu-speaking community and that of the Palestinians, whose poems he has translated. He added, “It’s my responsibility as a writer to ask that we not patronize, but support and acknowledge other languages in Bangladesh.”

The identity of the Urdu-speaking community has been problematic for decades. They are commonly referred to as “Biharis” or, albeit less frequently, as “stranded Pakistanis” – but neither is accurate. Whilst it is true that many Muslims from the Indian state of Bihar migrated to East Bengal during the partition of India in 1947, there were also many other Urdu-speakers who arrived from different regions of India. The coordinator of the Refugee and Migratory Movements Research Unit (RMMRU), Dr C.R. Abrar, said: “After 1971, the term “Bihari” began as a literary term that led to implying that they are ‘the other, the reject.’ It has a connotation that they do not belong to us, that they are a separate community altogether. This term should not be used – they should be referred to as the ‘camp dwelling Urdu-speaking community.’” Dr Abrar explained that although sections of the media describe the group as ‘stranded Pakistanis’ and some of the older generations of camp dwellers identify themselves as such, extensive research undertaken by RMMRU revealed that the younger generations consider themselves Bangladeshi. Once this was discovered, Dr Abrar and his team began researching the nation’s citizenship laws and high court judgments on various property issues involving the Urdu-speaking community. Dr Abrar said, “We were absolutely convinced that these people never forfeited their right to being Bangladeshi citizens.”

Similarly, Ahmed Ilias, the executive director of Al-Falah Bangladesh, which is the only NGO working to promote the rights of Urdu-speakers, has worked tirelessly over the years to mobilize the community. Ahmed first became involved with Urdu-speakers in 1965, when he was a journalist assigned to cover refugees. He said, “I realised that the majority of people would not be able to go to Pakistan and would have to stay in Bangladesh and make a future here. During partition there was a great deal of resistance to integration and the leaders of the partition movement opposed me very much.” Nevertheless, Ahmed has never altered his view that integration was the best step forward in light of the Pakistani government’s refusal to repatriate them on the grounds that they cannot accommodate such a large number of refugees. Ahmed focused his efforts on encouraging young members of the community to file a writ petition asserting their right to citizenship, which was ultimately successful on May 18, 2008.

However despite being recognized as Bangladeshi citizens by the judiciary, Ahmed said that the government “has not come forward” to help improve the lives of around 200,000 Urdu-speakers living in poverty-stricken camps throughout Bangladesh. The camps were initially set up to provide security for the Urdu-speakers in the aftermath of the war, but conditions have deteriorated over the years as the population in the camps grew. The organiser of the exhibition, Shafiur Rahman, said that the government’s lack of involvement in their welfare is broadly similar to that of the wider community. He said, “There is still a political stumbling block when it comes to this community. Otherwise progressive people and institutions still hesitate.” This has led to the creation of a “self-help” approach within the community. After RMMRU discovered that only six percent of the Urdu-speaking population in camps are literate, improving the levels of education became the top priority. Schools have been set up in eight camps and classes are taught by members of the community who are training to become teachers. Work is also underway to improve the camp dwellers’ health, shelter and livelihoods. Conditions in the camp are dire, with up to eight family members’ sharing a single room of eight feet by eight feet square. Sanitation facilities are inadequate, water is scarce and electricity supplies are cut more frequently than in the rest of the capital. And without citizenship, camp dwellers were unable to apply for government jobs and state education, and have reportedly faced discrimination by private employers, which forces many into menial and unstable work.

In light of the struggles that Urdu-speakers have faced over the years, it was not surprising that an exhibition celebrating their identity has lifted the spirits of many. Shafiur said that more than 500 images were submitted to the competition and that the quality of photography was “very strong.” He said, “It’s important that these photos don’t dwell on negativity, but rather look towards the future. But I do hope that in a few years’ time the images will be nothing like this, because it still reflects the dire poverty and the uncertainty and difficulties of life.”

The overall winner of the “camp life” category was MRK Palash, a photographer of The Independent whose stunning image suggested exclusion by depicting a view of densely built rooftops from behind a Hessian bag.

ummid-photo-comp.jpg

As Mohammad Hasan, the coordinator of Al-Fallah and a resident of the Geneva Camp in Dhaka, surveyed the striking and poignant photographs in the gallery, he turned to me and said, “We are breaking the silence of the camps.” One certainly hopes that he is right.

Bangladesh was created on secular principals. Islam has nothing to do with the creation of Bangladesh, we don't consider Jinnah or Gandhi as our heroes.

We're talking about the same Biharis that they claim to have accommodated - Stranded Pakistanis as they are called ! I've heard first hand horrific stories of what they have to go through in those 60-65 (Not sure about the number) squalid camps that they live in. Unfortunately we've got a lot of vermin in the Govt. and amongst us who would reward their patriotism and loyalty with indifference and cold calculations.

I hear you man. I know a Bihari-Bangladeshi family here in Sydney. They were from a very well off family in Bihar, had to leave everything behind and migrated to East Pakistan. They started their life from scratch and established a very good business in 20 years. Unfortunately once again they had to leave everything behind and after living in UN camps for 5-6 years they migrated to Australia.

I feel awful for them when they say that they have no country to call home and no ancestral home that they go visit during holidays. These have suffered a lot and lost their home and everything else, twice, within 30 years. Its a shame that Pakistan refuses to give them refuge.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom