What's new

Why dont I prefer Modi?

Are you aware that he is from party which is considered as "Right Wing of India". He is also highly pro Hindu Religion. He being PM of India will be nightmare for your dear friends in pakistan??

My parents are Buddhists, why would I have a problem with Hinduism?

And right-wing, left-wing, doesn't matter.

Modi speaks the language of Business, and this is a universal language.

Modi is highly polarizing personality, I dont think he will ever get to be PM, even BJP wont back him. Even RSS does not back him.
There are other states ruled by various parties including BJP where CMs are doing very good job, Modi just happens to be CM of a industrialized state.
He can afford to be business friendly because people of his state are business friendly. Modi seems to appropriate the praise that all gujratis deserve.

Welcome to the forum, gu'an.

Or maybe I know that Modi has the capability to strongly boost the entire regional economy. Meaning that everyone makes money, including us.

Mind games can go either way. Look at the data and see the truth for yourself, irrespective of politics or regional bias.

I dont mind Modi.. He is a great executor.. But he is not right for India in the top position.. Too much of extreme right wing...

Modi speaks the language of Business, and this is a universal language.

So may be he will make a great Finance MInister if BJP comes to power.

Unless BJP gets absolute majority - which is highly unlikely- the chances of Modi becoming PM is very slim

I dont mind Modi.. He is a great executor.. But he is not right for India in the top position.. Too much of extreme right wing...

So may be he will make a great Finance MInister if BJP comes to power.

Like Deng Xiaoping said:

It doesn't matter whether the cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice

If he can bring results (i.e. economic growth and social stability in Gujarat) then I don't see what right/left wing have to do with it.

Just my opinion of course. Modi is more business-friendly, which I think some Indians might see as a downside, considering his good relations with Chinese companies.

Like Deng Xiaoping said:

If he can bring results (i.e. economic growth and social stability in Gujarat) then I don't see what right/left wing have to do with it.

Just my opinion of course. Modi is more business-friendly, which I think some Indians might see as a downside, considering his good relations with Chinese companies.

Nope, chinese companies are not really important, his blood soaked past is the main reason why he wont go to centre, and he has got enemies within his own party too.

Also, some Indians might believe 'the end justifies the mean', but many don't.

Thats questionable, like I said before. He actually may not be able to do a lot because of the coalition politics. Congress will play the same game that BJP is playing today. They will never let any critical law for economic reform to be passed and stage demonstrations and what not, just the way BJP is doing today.

Secondly, we cannot elect a PM just for the sake of the economy. Its a country of 1.2 billion people and the economy is just a part of it. There are several tribals, ethnic groups, linguistic groups, minorities etc., All of them have to be governed, represented and their issues addressed or atleast heard. Therefore, given his history, to be at the helm as a Prime Minister, I dont think he is the right person.

Depends on what you mean by results. If sliding ranking in literacy rates, human development indices etc are results, then most in India, where a vast majority are underdeveloped in all these, would disagree. The whole argument by capitalists of trickle down effect is proven false here - far from improving, these ranks have actually fallen under Modi as compared to some similar and even slower growing states (Part-1). Human resource is also precious wealth that should be nurtured - not just for humanity sake but even for a sustainable/stable economy.

Nope, chinese companies are not really important, his blood soaked past is the main reason why he wont go to centre, and he has got enemies within his own party too.

Also, some Indians might believe 'the end justifies the mean', but many don't.

I thought that Modi has never been proven to have done anything wrong regarding the riots?

When talking about whether or not "The end justifies the means" - You always have to ask what the "means" are.

If you take the the riots out of the picture, what else is there? What has he really sacrificed to bring Gujarat to sustained double-digit growth?

Without the riots, then Gujarat has been very stable in terms of communal harmony. For almost a decade. So if he is not proven to be responsible for the riots, does he deserve the credit for maintaining communal harmony in Gujarat?

At the end of the day whoever is able to form a coalition will win the nest election. So if BJP is able to form a bigger coalition then we might see Modi, otherwise it will be congress all over again.

I thought that Modi has never been proven to have done anything wrong regarding the riots?

When talking about whether or not "The end justifies the means" - You always have to ask what the "means" are.

If you take the the riots out of the picture, what else is there? What has he really sacrificed to bring Gujarat to sustained double-digit growth?

Without the riots, then Gujarat has been very stable in terms of communal harmony. For almost a decade. So if he is not proven to be responsible for the riots, does he deserve the credit for maintaining communal harmony in Gujarat?

We cant vote based on Gujarat alone dude. Its not just about the state. We cant take a state's statistics and extrapolate it to the entire country and expect Modi to deliver along similar lines.

Modi is a very powerful man, so its not surprising that he didnt get indicted. I mean its not so cut and dry, the system itself is corrupt. Powerful people get away with anything. For the Congress's part they got away with the anti-Sikh riots didnt they?

Now its not just about Modi either, its about BJP and their policies. Every election I hear BJP saying they will build the Ayodhya temple as if it is top priority. They say that to appeal to Hindutva voters. Thereby alienating the muslim minority. When someone represents India I dont want that person to be known just for Gujarat, but he should be a good leader with a clean record. Or should I say "smart enough to never get caught" ? :D

Without the riots, then Gujarat has been very stable in terms of communal harmony. For almost a decade.

The means are quite evident in his case. Not been convicted doesnt mean 'not guilty' in India. Like said in part-2 of that blog entry, there are enough prima facie evidences stacked agianst him. Why isnt congress using it? In India, what political parties say in public and what they actually do backstage is vastly different (as shown by team Kejriwal through their series of exposes on collusion across the board). Sample this: BJP came to power in 1998 riding on Bofors scandal, but Subramanian Swamy (an ally of BJP) is on record saying BJP denied permission to question Sonia on Bofors. So you see, parties want to milk an issue for vote by their grand public posturing, but wont go the last mile and secure conviction because they all have skeletons in their own cupboards (many congress leaders have orchestrated riots of their own too).

As for double-digit growth etc, well thats the focus of this thread to see how much of it is due to Modi itself and how much has it benefited people at large. Clearly the answer is in the negative for both.

We cant vote based on Gujarat alone dude. Its not just about the state. We cant take a state's statistics and extrapolate it to the entire country and expect Modi to deliver along similar lines.

Modi is a very powerful man, so its not surprising that he didnt get indicted. I mean its not so cut and dry, the system itself is corrupt. Powerful people get away with anything. For the Congress's part they got away with the anti-Sikh riots didnt they?

Now its not just about Modi either, its about BJP and their policies. Every election I hear BJP saying they will build the Ayodhya temple as if it is top priority. They say that to appeal to Hindutva voters. Thereby alienating the muslim minority. When someone represents India I dont want that person to be known just for Gujarat, but he should be a good leader with a clean record. Or should I say "smart enough to never get caught" ? :D

Our present leader Manmohan is also smart enough not to be caught. but he is not having much control over his team. Modi is person, who wil not only control the team but whole country. He is some what comparable to Indra Gandhi.

Manmohan smartly do nothing that is why he is not get caught of doing any thing wrong, he handled coal ministry for some time and now we are discovering biggest scam in it.

EXtreme???? Some faCts.

Gujarat tops states in number of Muslim policemen

Nov 12, 2012

NEW DELHI: Gujarat, which faced one of the worst anti-Muslim riots in the country barely 10 years ago, has emerged as the state with the largest number of Muslim cops posted in police stations, beating states with a higher proportion of the community in their population.

The data, shared by the home ministry in response to an RTI query filed by TOI, shows that 10.6% of Gujarat's cops posted in police stations are Muslims. This is higher than the proportion of Muslims in the state's population, which is 9.1% (2001 census).

The state has 5,021 cops from the community out of a total of 47,424 in its 501 police stations. On an average, Gujarat has 10 Muslim cops per police station — higher than any other state which shared data with the Centre.

The trend comes to light at a time when most states have failed to implement a key recommendation of the Sachar Committee report, suggesting that more Muslim cops be in police stations to build confidence among the community.

Assam and Kerala, home to a much larger chunk of Muslims, have a higher percentage of the community in their police forces. But Gujarat has higher number of Muslim cops. Along with Odisha, it is the only state where the percentage of Muslims in the police force is higher than in the general population.

The list includes 17 states and six Union Territories (UTs) and leaves out states such as Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh (where Muslim population is 10% or more), which did not share data with the home ministry despite several reminders.

Gujarat has 5,021 Muslim police personnel in its 501 police stations compared to 2,210 Muslim cops in 451 police stations in Kerala, 2,048 in 525 police stations in West Bengal, 930 in 773 police stations in Rajasthan and 616 in 417 police stations in Jharkhand.

Absence of data from 11 states and one UT (Puducherry) may spare them from being scrutinized at this juncture by the Centre but not sharing figures of Muslim cops may itself raise a question mark over these states' commitment to implement the Sachar committee recommendations.

TOI had sought information under the transparency law in the context of the home ministry's missive to states reminding them about implementing Sachar panel's recommendations on posting a minimum of one Muslim inspector or sub-inspector in police stations which catered to a sizeable number of the minority community. This, the committee said, should be done "not eliminate discrimination but as an initiative to build confidence".

The ministry also sought details of action taken by the states in this regard on a half-yearly basis.

The Sachar committee, constituted on March 9, 2005 under the chairmanship of Justice Rajinder Sachar to prepare a comprehensive report on the social, economic and educational status of Muslims in India, had submitted its findings in November 2006.

Union home ministry's data on Muslim police personnel as on October 16, 2012:

1. No. of Muslim police personnel who are posted in 'police stations' (top six states):

Gujarat - 5021

Assam - 2210

Kerala - 2210

West Bengal - 2048

Tamil Nadu - 1206

Rajasthan -- 930

2. Share (percentage) of Muslim personnel in total number of cops in 'police stations'

Assam - 21.5%

Kerala - 11.6%

Gujarat - 10.6%

West Bengal - 8.4%

Jharkhand - 6.4%

Rajasthan - 3.9%

3. Proportion of Muslim population in these states (2001 Census data)

Assam - 30.9%

West Bengal - 25.2%

Kerala - 24.7%

Jharkhand - 13.8%

Gujarat - 9.1%

Rajasthan - 8.5%

4. Proportion of Muslim population to total population of India (2001 Census data) - 13.4%

5. Eleven states - UP, Bihar, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Mizoram, Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh - have not shared data with the home ministry

Gujarat tops states in number of Muslim policemen - The Times of India

EXtreme???? Some faCts.

Gujarat tops states in number of Muslim policemen

Gujarat tops states in number of Muslim policemen - The Times of India

This is a good start. Sachar committee made 20+ recommendations, and most of them were in the sphere of commercial or livelihood aspects. All this should be weighed in comparison to Modi's govt acts of commissions and omissions not just during 2002 riots but also in the investigations and prosecutions after that (appointing RSS/VHP sympathisers as public prosecutors, destroying evidences etc). As an aside, if it were any other sickular party govt that had inducted muslim cops more than their share in the population, this same guy would have termed it appeasement. Just pointing it out.

In any case, is this the only argument against the facts posted in the blog in the first post in this thread? In that case, it makes a strong case for Modi-detractors that Modi and his PR machinery has indeed been spreading false socio-economic figures to hype him so as to cover up his past sins from minds of people. Hmm, thats something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom