What's new

RESERVATIONCHAAP'S DELIGHT: In Another Sign of Deep Economic Distress, Modi Says Free Ration to 80 Crore to Continue

hatehs

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

In Another Sign of Deep Economic Distress, Modi Says Free Ration to 80 Crore to Continue​

Moreover, PM Modi saying rations will continue for five years is an ominous indicator of continuing economic downturn till 2028. The Indian government has been mocking the Global Hunger Index which has pointed to India being in a serious situation.
In Another Sign of Deep Economic Distress, Modi Says Free Ration to 80 Crore to Continue

Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Photo: X (Twitter)/@narendramodi
The Wire Staff

The Wire Staff

GOVERNMENT
RIGHTS
23 HOURS AGO

Hyderabad: In poll-bound Chattisgarh, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday, November 4, said his government will extend Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana, which provides 5 kg of free food rations every month to about 80 crore poor, by another five years.

The scheme was rolled out during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. “The free ration scheme’s tenure is going to be completed in December, but it will be extended for the next five years. This is Modi’s guarantee that the stoves will keep burning in the homes of my 80 crore countrymen, Modi said while addressing a rally in Durg in Chhattisgarh.

The statement by Modi is also an admission of prevailing hunger in the country, which was also captured by the Global Hunger Index 2023. The index ranked India 111 out of 125 countries, which is worse than its neighbours; Pakistan was at 102, Bangladesh 81, Nepal 69, and Sri Lanka at 60. While the rate of undernourishment in India, according to the index, stood at 16.6% and under-five mortality at 3.1%, the prevalence of anemia in women aged between 15 and 24 years stood at 58.1%.
After the release of the index, in the second week of October, the Modi government had rejected the index on the grounds of ‘methodological issues’.
It had described the ranking given to India as “erroneous and having malafide intent”.
Union women and child development minister, Smriti Irani, had dismissed the index by making remarks which opposition parties described as a “mockery of hunger” and called out her “insensitivity”.
“For instance, the Global Hunger Index that makes headlines now, many a people have said it’s all hogwash. How do they build that indice? 3,000 people in a country of 140 crore get a phone call from Gallup and they are asked, ‘Are you hungry?’

She then went on to say, “Now trust me, I have left my house in Delhi in the morning at 4 today. I got a flight at 5 to go to Kochi. I did a conclave there. Got a flight at 5 o’clock to come to this programme. By the time I get to anything called food, it will be 10 o’clock. If you would have called me anytime during the day today and asked from Gallup, “Are you hungry?” I’ll say, “Oh yes, I am.”
The Wire, in this piece, explains why Irani’s assertions on the hunger index are misleading.
PM Modi has been attacking Opposition parties on what he has termed ‘revdi culture’ but Opposition parties have hit back, with Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal saying, “Some people are talking about revdi. When revdi is distributed among the public for free, then it’s called ‘prasad’ [devotional offering]. He added, “is given for free to your own friends, ministers, then it is ‘paap’ [sin]”.
Note: An earlier version of this piece had misrepresented 80 crores in million. The error has been rectified.

@Kingdom come

Why PM Awas Yojana (Urban) is staring at an extension​

The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs initially implemented PMAY-U ‘Housing for All’ Mission to address a total housing shortage of two crore

The Government of India’s ambitious Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana — Urban (PMAY-U) ‘Housing for All’ Mission started in June 2015 to provide pucca houses to all eligible urban beneficiaries, will end in December next year. But the mission may still be incomplete because the gap between needs, demand and supply prevails. In fact, the Government of India’s Standing Committee on Housing and Urban Affairs in its report submitted to Parliament has highlighted the need to extend the existing scheme with modification or launch a new scheme to fulfil the mission.

The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, which is implementing the PMAY-U ‘Housing for All’ Mission initially intended to address a total housing shortage of two crore. However, as per the government data, overall 1.19 crore houses have been sanctioned as of 23 August 2023.
View attachment 971434
Initially, it was proposed that 1.8 crore slum households and 20 lakh non-slum poor would be covered under the Mission. However, the actual validated demand for housing under PMAY(U) stands at about 1.12 crore (112.24 lakh). The housing shortage was based on estimates, while PMAY-U adopted a demand-driven approach by allowing States and Union Territories to assess housing needs in four vertical areas of PMAY(U).

Demand and Supply​

According to the 2001 Census, there were 286.1 million people living in urban India. That climbed steeply to 377.1 million in the 2011 Census — a growth of 2.76 per cent annually. Infrastructure challenges in terms of affordable housing remain a challenge with more than 31 per cent of the total population living in urban areas.

The housing shortage estimated by Technical Group (TG)-12 was 1.88 crore over the period 2012-17 while at the slum decadal growth rate of 34 per cent, the slum households were projected to go up to 18 million.

View attachment 971442

As per the 69th Round Report of NSSO (2012), there were 33,510 slums (notified- 13,761 and non-notified- 19,749) in the country which were having 88,09,007 households.

As per Census 2011 data, the total number of slum households stand at 139.20 lakh and the migrant population at 44.66 lakh. Taken together, the housing need for all States and UTs as per 2011 Census data stands at 183.86 lakh. However, only some States — Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Kerala, Assam, Manipur, Tripura Andaman and Nicobar island (UT) have demand assessed more than the total number of slums and a number of migrants taken together.

The projected demand by other States is lower than the sum of slum household and migrant population data of 2011 Census. Hence, the demand generated by various States and UTs which was later validated by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs remains short of the actual housing shortage. However, the Ministry relied on States and urban local bodies to assess the actual demand in their jurisdiction without imposing any ceiling.

New scheme?​

The Standing Committee has recommended that the Ministry conduct an impact assessment study of the scheme to find out the ground realities. The Committee has also asked the Ministry to explore the feasibility of either extending the existing scheme with modifications based on an impact assessment study or formulating another such scheme to benefit the urban poor at large to achieve the objective of “Housing for All”.

Popularity of beneficiary-led construction​

The scheme is implemented through four verticals — Beneficiary Led Construction (BLC), Affordable Housing in Partnership (AHP), In-Situ Slum Redevelopment (ISSR) and Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) based on eligibility criteria as per scheme guidelines.

im running a similar thread for free housing for slum-poor of India, a post as above.
how you people see slum land recoveries by the Indian government by providing slum people of India with housing of budget worth over A$150bn?
this is to help 20mil+, 2 crore+, slum people of urban India to help them get new homes in return of leaving slum lands of cities, i guess :coffee:

1699436970044.png

Initially, it was proposed that 1.8 crore slum households and 20 lakh non-slum poor would be covered under the Mission.

if 800 million are poor 600 million are not

we read that all the type of rices on the Ration card in India is said to be good......
in India, i would say almost all the rices supplied has some level of standard, so it has included 800million as beneficiary from this plan, as looks like :-)

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom