What's new

Why do people believe the Universe has no purpose/cause?

Mathematics is the basis for physics, chemistry etc. The building blocks of all creation, if there was ever a god, it is mathematics. But it is a cruel God, not entirely lifeless, but not one which responds to prayer.

I implore you to read the significant papers from recent history. A sense of awe will overcome you, not too dissimilar to what many Christians I know feel in "the presence of God"

This makes no sense to me, but, in the Quran God challenges us to breach the heavens and he says it can only be achieved through scientific means.

Correct question is to ask why people believe there is any purpose..

That question has clear answers to it, we heard that side. We want to hear the other side.

The answer according to science is: "We don't know".

If someone chooses to draw their own conclusions, that is fine, but it is not within the realm of science.

In that scenario, it becomes a matter of faith, not science.

But, scientific knowledge is very limited, so you can't draw conclusions.

This makes no sense to me, but, in the Quran God challenges us to breach the heavens and he says it can only be achieved through scientific means.

That question has clear answers to it, we heard that side. We want to hear the other side.
There is no other side.....

What are the heavens according to the Quran? And what are scientific means?

Look at the fact that 1+1=2

If you take one of anything in the world and another one of something else, you'll have two things. This applies to everything in this universe. Doesn't that just fascinate you?

Here is something which we can definitely prove, it's a law which everything abides to. If 1+1=/=2 for certain cases then this universe wouldn't exist. Isn't that just amazing?

But, scientific knowledge is very limited, so you can't draw conclusions.

That's why I don't like drawing conclusions when there is no empirical evidence. :P

I am fine with saying: "I don't know".

It's the mystery of the unknown that makes science so interesting. If we already knew all the answers, there would be no motivation to go out and try to find more answers.

This is from the scientific perspective in any case.

Obey, obeying means many things.

One can replace it with any synonym for subservience. Fact doesn't change that it is Man alone who came up with the concept of divine creation and subservience towards that creation, either in the form of obedience or worship.

I'm actually a fairy, since you can't prove otherwise, you must entertain the possibility that I'm a fairy.

The burden of proof lies on the one whom makes the statement. I.e I'm a fairy, therefore I need to prove it and not you disprove it, and there's a purpose to this universe therefore you need to prove it.

That's why I don't like drawing conclusions when there is no empirical evidence. :P

It's the mystery of the unknown that makes science so interesting. If we already knew all the answers, there would be no motivation to go out and try to find more answers.

Ah, I forgot I have a fellow Agnostic here.:cheers:

I'm actually a fairy, since you can't prove otherwise, you must entertain the possibility that I'm a fairy.

The burden of proof lies on the one whom makes the statement. I.e I'm a fairy, therefore I need to prove it and not you disprove it, and there's a purpose to this universe therefore you need to prove it.

And I'm a Djinn. What commands my Lord?:D

What are the heavens according to the Quran? And what are scientific means?

Look at the fact that 1+1=2

If you take one of anything in the world and another one of something else, you'll have two things. This applies to everything in this universe. Doesn't that just fascinate you?

Here is something which we can definitely prove, it's a law which everything abides to. If 1+1=/=2 for certain cases then this universe wouldn't exist. Isn't that just amazing?

I believe the heavens are the dimensions of the Universe, it's not Paradise. We believe Paradise is not in our Universe nor do we believe God is nor do we believe he is a man/figure.

It is amazing, which is why I spent a lot of my personal time reading about our Universe but I have lots of learning to go still.

If we had evidence of God what would the point of life be?

Obey, obeying means many things.

The other side is that there is no purpose, so could those whom believe so explain their reasoning to coming to such conclusions?
nobody says that. what they say that they on't see any purpose due to lack of proof...

One can replace it with any synonym for subservience. Fact doesn't change that it is Man alone who came up with the concept of divine creation and subservience towards that creation, either in the form of obedience or worship.

It's not a fact, you're making an assumption based on a weak argument.

I can prove otherwise that you're not a fairy. Now, regarding a proof to the Universe, what would constitute as 'proof' for you?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom