What's new

Why do people believe the Universe has no purpose/cause?

Nope. I see in you the right mix of maturity and temerity that only a late 20s-early 30s guy can possess. Am I right though?:azn:

Nah, don't want to answer that. I'd rather have people judging my age from my posts, than people judging my posts from my age.:dance3:

chor do sub Universe ka picha ab existence mi a hi giya hy tu musibt pur hi gae hy subko:angry:

@janon

Please take these questions seriously then...

1) Is it possible a God if he exists came out nothing? If you notice how some religions such as Judaism, when God was asked who created you, he answered: "I am who I am, I just am" , so he's saying I just exist out of nothing.

2) Is it possible he doesn't feel the need to understand how he came out of nothing or bother think about it?

I want to make one point, the idea of God IMO is not man made, religion however is man made but intended to be. What I mean, for Muhammad for example, God ordained him to create shariah and Sunnah, he designed that lifestyle and created those laws. A 'God' puts that onus on us since we are humans and he isn't. That doesn't mean the idea of a God is man made though.

So what do you guys think?

Nah, don't want to answer that. I'd rather have people judging my age from my posts, than people judging my posts from my age.:dance3:

And I respect your stand. Something tells me I was close though.:D Where you from mate? I can also sense a South Indian in you.:oops:

1) Is it possible a God if he exists came out nothing? If you notice how some religions such as Judaism, when God was asked who created you, he answered: "I am who I am, I just am" , so he's saying I just exist out of nothing.

2) Is it possible he doesn't feel the need to understand how he came out of nothing or bother think about it?

I want to make one point, the idea of God IMO is not man made, religion however is man made but intended to be. What I mean, for Muhammad for example, God ordained him to create shariah and Sunnah, he designed that lifestyle and created those laws. A 'God' puts that onus on us since we are humans and he isn't. That doesn't mean the idea of a God is man made though.

So what do you guys think?

The idea of God IS man-made, because we're the only species that believes in such an entity and indulge in activities ranging from debates to wars over our belief in the entity called God. Religion is just the structured, liturgical/dogmatic expression of our faith in that entity.

If questions regarding the existence of such an entity are unresolved, how credible are the alleged interactions with members of our species with that entity?

Well I'm seeking to hear the perspective of the scientific community and keeping religion out of this, so here I go...

1.) Is there a reason we exist?
2.) Is there something we're supposed to strive for or is this just what it is?
3.) Why is this what it is? Why do we exist?
interesting questions.
atheists and agnostics will never be able to answer these questions truthfully.
they will make you go around in circles lol till you just give up.
but thats the experience I've had but hopefully we can see their prospective here.

What purpose does the universe serve to you, if you don't exist?
but we do exist
so now what?

All religions are man made. They were intended in the past as a political tool to motivate the masses. Today they're used for the same purpose.
interesting….

1) Oh, that's not just my belief, that's demontrated both theoretically as well as experimentally:
Are virtual particles really constantly popping in and out of existence? Or are they merely a mathematical bookkeeping device for quantum mechanics? - Scientific American
Something from Nothing? A Vacuum Can Yield Flashes of Light - Scientific American
Can You Get Something For Nothing? – Starts With A Bang

Yes, things can come out of nothing. By the way, remember that most people have never seen a "nothing" in their lives - real nothing is very, very rare. You are surrounded by matter and/or radiation everywhere. But yes, particles can and do arise from pure nothing all the time. The proof would be way beyond the scope of this website, but there are resources out there.

3) No, it does not make your questions any more or less credible. As I said, I only mentioned it because all of us - you, me and pretty much everybody on earth have been conditioned to approach the question from a religious or quasi-religious POV. The very fact that everybody asks "why" instead of "how" shows that everybody is assuming intent, that a mind (god) intentionally did some things. "Why" is about intent, "how" is about a mechanism. Not everything is intentional, and therefore not everything has an answer to "why".

And I know you are a young adult, for most people that's the only time they ponder these questions. Unfortunately.:P

If we don't know anything through science, that's definitely a possible assumption, is it not? Maybe it existed all the time? After all, that's the answers that religions provide - everything was created by a god/allah/brahma, and that god/allah/brahma always existed. Well that's a non-answer, a non-explanation. In that case why assume the need for a god, simply state that the universe always existed. Why add that additional step? That's just shifting the mystery from how the universe came into existence, to how a god came into existence, and then saying the god always existed. A much better explanation is simply that the universe always existed.

But that's just the answer to the plausibility - as to what really happened, that can only be known through science. As of now, scientists only know what happened during and after the big bang. What happened in the first few moments, we cannot know as of now, because we don't know the required math or physics. Maybe we will never know. But in such cases, it is always better to say we don't know, than to offer non-answers.

Dear @janon, thanks for the interesting post, which I do mostly am in agreement with.
Although, there seems to be some dissociation of understandings here.

If we don't know anything through science, that's definitely a possible assumption, is it not? Maybe it existed all the time? After all, that's the answers that religions provide - everything was created by a god/allah/brahma, and that god/allah/brahma always existed. Well that's a non-answer, a non-explanation. In that case why assume the need for a god, simply state that the universe always existed. Why add that additional step? That's just shifting the mystery from how the universe came into existence, to how a god came into existence, and then saying the god always existed. A much better explanation is simply that the universe always existed.

For example, you can't say the universe has existed ever. But you can say god/allah/brahma has always existed. and the answer of religion is not a non-answer here, but a wise break through reply. why?
It has taken human being many hundreds of years in his journey into understanding the truth to answer that simple why.
For anyone to be capable of understanding the answer to that question, one should first recognize the challenging point here.
It is not about the universe or the God, in this question but it is about the word "ever".
It is not acceptable to reply that question mentioning universe has always existed, because universe and time are parallel elements that would never have a point of intersection, put anything instead of universe here and you would see the same flaw, unless you opt an answer that is not leveled with the element of time, it means that you can surpass this challenge if and only if you start to believe in something that is not surrounded by time or in other words if and only if you start to believe in the creator of the time and universe together. And that is what religion tries to propose.

Last edited:
It is a relativity question, suppose human civilization doesn't exists. So what purpose does the universe serve to the humanity?

Given that the amount of mass-energy equivalence of the Universe is zero, so scientifically the universe doesn't serve any purpose in the macro scale. It just exists.
it just exists?
like it just popped out of no where? like all these planets and stars just came into being for no reason? some how the big bang just happened on its own? the big bang just caused it self to happen to create the universe? before the big bang there was no nothing? so nothing caused the big banged to happen?
damn there are too many questions that are un answered.
the universe doesn't "just exist" there has to be more then that.

No, think about it.

If you consider deeply, universe popped out of nothing, as per se. And over time, it'll decay into nothing. If you consider multiverse theory, the hypothesis of which is proven by quantum entanglement, then our universe is just a bubble in an ocean of universes. So what purpose does a bubble serve?
maybe we are in a petri dish lol.

1) Which part of the universe? Different parts of the universe came into existence at different times, and due to different causes. If we go as far back in time as we possibly can, the universe (just before the big bang) was smaller than an atom. There are many ways in which it could have come into existence. (Lawrence Krauss' "A universe from nothing" explains how.) Even today, virtual particles are created from nothing all the time. So are matter-antimatter pairs. So a universe smaller than an atom being formed out of nothing, and then expanding to the present size is certainly possible physically.

But are you asking how the universe formed, or why it did. If the latter, then there just may not be an answer. For example, why is 2 plus 2 equal to 4, and not 7? There is no why there. Whenever we ask "why", we are presuming intention. We are assuming that a mind intended it to happen. It is conditioned in our thought process, and it is only because we already make that assumption, that we ask "why" instead of "how". You are already accustomed to the religious answer that a god made it all for some purpose, which is why you are asking "why". If there is no intent, there is no "why". That is why there is no question like "why is two plus two four". It is not intentional, it just is.
well if i was a scientist or if everybody was a scientist then we say "how" instead of "why" but unfortunately we all aren't.
i mean the question is that if there was a purpose to the universe not how it came into being.
you can't answer his question by saying "how". you could only answer it when ask yourself "why"

Again, you should try to answer or figure out what you mean by "reason for existence", and also why there should be one reason for everybody's existence.
no matter how you look at his question in the end religion is going to come into play.
if you take religion completely out of this.
and if you take a "creator" completely out of it as well then the answer is that there is no purpose what so ever.

What do you mean by this?

I meant that other than us Humans, there isn't anything out there(at least in our Solar system) which concerns itself with the need to find and address a divine creator or enforcer for our existence.

God too is our own creation as we aren't comfortable with the idea of creation having no creator.

This is something I was thinking about today, so if the science community can't define a purpose or cause for this universe does it mean they can never define such a thing in the future?

Also, are there things we just can't explain? Or things we can't explain don't exist?

And if things we can't explain are an possibility does it make sense to not consider that possibility in the context of the evaluation of the Universe?

@Ravi Nair

I'd like to start with you for no particular reason. :)

All religions are man made. They were intended in the past as a political tool to motivate the masses. Today they're used for the same purpose.

1. There are no "atheists" in fox holes in a hot war or fight.

2. Religiously speaking as a Christian. God created the heavens and the earth.

3. The Holy Bible begins with God, not with philosophic arguments for His Existence.

4. Scripture gives no data for determining how long ago the universe was created.

5. Elohim the first of the names of Deity, is a plural noun in form but is singular in meaning when it refers to the true God.

6. The plural form of the word suggests the Trinity.

7. Two main interpretations have been advanced to explain the expression "without form and void. The first , which may be called the Original Chaos interpretation, regards these words as a description of the earth only, and that in a condition subsequent to its creation, not as it was originally. The second, which may be called the Divine Judgment interpretation, may been seen as a description of the earth only as to its creation, not as it was originally.

8. My faith teaches me that man was made in the "image and likeness" of God.

9. The Holy Bible is a unity and the purpose of God is one. Man created in God's image was placed in sovereignty over the earth.

10. The Divine intention was and is that man should have fellowship with God in obedience to Him. Man is a triunity, made up of body, soul, and spirit.

11. For doubters and non-believers, Albert Einstein described himself as an Agnostic. This was because Einstein could not explain where "matter" originally came from. He once said even if "in the beginning" there was only one cell, where did that one cell come from?

Back
Top Bottom