What's new

Why do people believe the Universe has no purpose/cause?

Well I'm seeking to hear the perspective of the scientific community and keeping religion out of this, so here I go...

1.) Is there a reason we exist?
2.) Is there something we're supposed to strive for or is this just what it is?
3.) Why is this what it is? Why do we exist?

1) What would a reasonable reason be like? Tell me an example of such a reason, in your mind. Or better yet, tell me two plausible reasons. I ask this because I would like to know what exactly would be considered a "reason for existence", other than a religious one. (Like god made us so that we will worship him.)
2) Supposed by whom?
3) Why not? (Again, the "we" is loaded. What makes you think there is a single reason for everybody's existence? By we do you only mean you and me, or humans, or bacteria and viruses and planets as well?)

Science does not deal with beliefs and useless scholastic. Thats left for philosophers.

Scientific method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To be fair, he did not ask about beliefs at all.
And no, nothing should be left merely to "philosophers" - why would a non-scientist philosopher know anything more than a scientist?

What purpose does the universe serve to you, if you don't exist?

I'm not understanding this question, what do you mean?

If ever there was an argument that was compelling that has been made for the existence of an intelligence beyond our comprehension, it is our intelligence, the only tool for comprehending the universe.

As for things that can't be explained in the Universe, I think for me at least we lack the tools whether it's technology, or the lack of investigation.

I have faith in the Human mind. I think it can understand a lot of things that were deemed impossible.

It's just we lack the tools, or we don't have a corrobrating evidence to support our theories.

Yes, this is a good topic, don't want it to get shut down.

@kbd-raaf :-)

So our capacity is very limited? Do you believe we will ever breach a new realm of intelligence where it's not materially based?

So our capacity is very limited? Do you believe we will ever breach a new realm of intelligence where it's not materially based?

Yes. This is where Artificial Intelligence steps in :D

But seriously, I need a bit more time to think.

It is a relativity question, suppose human civilization doesn't exists. So what purpose does the universe serve to the humanity?

Given that the amount of mass-energy equivalence of the Universe is zero, so scientifically the universe doesn't serve any purpose in the macro scale. It just exists.

1) What would a reasonable reason be like? Tell me an example of such a reason, in your mind. Or better yet, tell me two plausible reasons. I ask this because I would like to know what exactly would be considered a "reason for existence", other than a religious one. (Like god made us so that we will worship him.)
2) Supposed by whom?
3) Why not? (Again, the "we" is loaded. What makes you think there is a single reason for everybody's existence? By we do you only mean you and me, or humans, or bacteria and viruses and planets as well?)

To be fair, he did not ask about beliefs at all.
And no, nothing should be left merely to "philosophers" - why would a non-scientist philosopher know anything more than a scientist?

Thanks Janon, I didn't bring beliefs into this, I'm looking at it from a non belief perspective right now.

My responses to you:

1) Something that we can understand/that is plausible? What if I can't tell you what would be considered a reason for our existence? And if you can't tell me? We're then just left to guess?

2) By nature? Is there something we can strive for I should of asked from a non materialistic POV?

3) Because we know too little, so I can't doubt it yet from a scientific perspective.

Yes. This is where Artificial Intelligence steps in :D

But seriously, I need a bit more time to think.

Take your time and think, I need quality answers because these questions are hard to answer, I'm not looking for any specific answer, but I'm looking for an unusual answer which isn't restricted to material.

It is a relativity question, suppose human civilization doesn't exists. So what purpose does the universe serve to the humanity?

Given that the amount of mass-energy equivalence of the Universe is zero, so scientifically the universe doesn't serve any purpose in the macro scale. It just exists.

Well, that's what I was saying, if it doesn't serve a purpose towards humans does it mean it has no purpose at all? It serves us materialistically and shelters us, but is there something greater to this universe?

If you tell me we don't know that yet, there are people that say we will never know. So it's like opening a door of thought into another and another ...and we end up with no explanation.

Thanks Janon, I didn't bring beliefs into this, I'm looking at it from a non belief perspective right now.

My responses to you:

1) Something that we can understand/that is plausible? What if I can't tell you what would be considered a reason for our existence? And if you can't tell me? We're then just left to guess?

2) By nature? Is there something we can strive for I should of asked from a non materialistic POV?

3) Because we know too little, so I can't doubt it yet from a scientific perspective.

1) I'm not asking you to tell me what the reason is. (Since that was your question anyway, I shouldn't simply ask that back to you.) What I'm asking is, tell me something that could be considered a reason. For example, if you ask me what 3+5 is, there are many possible answers, of which only one is correct. It could be 6, 7, 8, 9, 100. The right answer is 8, of course. But if you don't even know any plausible answers, then maybe the question is too vague or ill framed, or you don't understand the question you are asking. (Which is why I urged you to read the "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy", which elucidates this very situation, for this very question.)
In short, I want to know whether you have any concrete idea as to what "reason for existence" might even mean, or is it merely mumbo-jumbo that is too vague to have a concrete answer.

2) Why would nature "suppose" you to do anything? My question was "supposed by whom", and you said "nature". What makes you think that nature is capable of supposing things? Nature does not have a brain, does it? Nature is not a person, let us not anthropomorphize it.

3) Didn't get you, you can't doubt what from a scientific perspective? (My original question was why you think there is one single reason for everybody's existence. Maybe your existence and my existence have different reasons.)

Well, that's what I was saying, if it doesn't serve a purpose towards humans does it mean it has no purpose at all? It serves us materialistically and shelters us, but is there something greater to this universe?

If you tell me we don't know that yet, there are people that say we will never know. So it's like opening a door of thought into another and another ...and we end up with no explanation.

Philosophically speaking, I think it's one of those questions where the search for the answer is more important than the answer itself.

Any one, or any group of people who claims to know the answer, the purpose of the Universe is lying.

And extremists are born when they feel the need to impose their answer to the question on others.

No, think about it.

If you consider deeply, universe popped out of nothing, as per se. And over time, it'll decay into nothing. If you consider multiverse theory, the hypothesis of which is proven by quantum entanglement, then our universe is just a bubble in an ocean of universes. So what purpose does a bubble serve?

1) I'm not asking you to tell me what the reason is. (Since that was your question anyway, I shouldn't simply ask that back to you.) What I'm asking is, tell me something that could be considered a reason. For example, if you ask me what 3+5 is, there are many possible answers, of which only one is correct. It could be 6, 7, 8, 9, 100. The right answer is 8, of course. But if you don't even know any plausible answers, then maybe the question is too vague or ill framed, or you don't understand the question you are asking. (Which is why I urged you to read the "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy", which elucidates this very situation, for this very question.)
In short, I want to know whether you have any concrete idea as to what "reason for existence" might even mean, or is it merely mumbo-jumbo that is too vague to have a concrete answer.

2) Why would nature "suppose" you to do anything? My question was "supposed by whom", and you said "nature". What makes you think that nature is capable of supposing things? Nature does not have a brain, does it? Nature is not a person, let us not anthropomorphize it.

3) Didn't get you, you can't doubt what from a scientific perspective? (My original question was why you think there is one single reason for everybody's existence. Maybe your existence and my existence have different reasons.)

1) Maybe it is too broad, but I can't define it any more than I can, let me try this:

Can you tell me anything else other than the Universe exists just because it exists? Or I could go beyond that?

2) I confused myself here, you're right regarding nature. I guess I need to rethink that question or try to come up with a more specific and detailed one, because if asked you 'Why do we exist?' , that also is too broad. But, what is specific?

3) I do think there may be a reason to our existence because I'm free to think that. I also have a nature of suspecting that. What I was saying is I can't rule out a reason to our existence because I can't get the 'Why?' aspect answered. So this is why I asked is there something beyond what we are able to comprehend that exists by our definition of existence?

Philosophically speaking, I think it's one of those questions where the search for the answer is more important than the answer itself.

Any one, or any group of people who claims to know the answer, the purpose of the Universe is lying.

And extremists are born when they feel the need to impose their answer to the question on others.

I am going to propose another question which will be easier to answer I believe after we get past these three questions. I actually have two very interesting questions to ask which will kind of bring in human beliefs but not proclaim them as truths. This is am interesting conversation I'm having and I appreciate you guys taking part in it.

The force seeks equilibrium. May the force be with us.

But all kidding aside. Natural doesn't have another purpose than equilibrium.

If you look around us, everything is chemical reactions. Your brain wouldn't work without chemical reasons. You have a begin and an end. The same in the universe. It also has an begin and will end one day.

No, think about it.

If you consider deeply, universe popped out of nothing, as per se. And over time, it'll decay into nothing. If you consider multiverse theory, the hypothesis of which is proven by quantum entanglement, then our universe is just a bubble in an ocean of universes. So what purpose does a bubble serve?

I don't consider the multiverse theory but I do believe there is another body beyond our Universe. I still don't see how that rules out a 'purpose' to our Universe and existence? Do you see what I'm saying?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom