What's new

Why do people believe the Universe has no purpose/cause?

Its all up to the person. People who say theres no purpose in universe generally are the ones that have greater things for them to deal about.

Okay, let's look at this way. I was born because my parents took the necessary actions to create me. I know why I was born, from sexual reproduction. And I can stop at that, unless I keep going back and back further which eventually leads us to...

So the universe was created after the Big Bang, so what created the matter before the Big Bang? How far can we go back?
well I'm going to try and keep religion out of this.
you can't just keep going back because thats impossible. so you have to look at it in way that there has to be a real start to every thing.
the questions your starting ask now are going to start bringing religion into it lol.

The universe might not need to have a meaning. there may not be any meaning to it at all. and actually, it makes sense that the universe has no meaning to it. the only reason we try to find meaning behind the universe is because we humans are a curious people who want to be able to understand everything we can. we are always interpreting the world around us based on our built up experiences from our past.
What past of the Universe do we know to give it any meaning,close to none.

I meant that other than us Humans, there isn't anything out there(at least in our Solar system) which concerns itself with the need to find and address a divine creator or enforcer for our existence.

God too is our own creation as we aren't comfortable with the idea of creation having no creator.

Isn't that because there isn't anything else out there?

@American Eagle

I do believe in God, but, today that argument won't cut it.

Your trying to converts atheists we all know it. :P

Why do you think that? :D

I doubt anyone would consider converting to Islam on this forum, that's not the reason. :D

1. There are no "atheists" in fox holes in a hot war or fight.

11. For doubters and non-believers, Albert Einstein described himself as an Agnostic. This was because Einstein could not explain where "matter" originally came from. He once said even if "in the beginning" there was only one cell, where did that one cell come from?

Forget fox holes, I become a theist when I walk into a temple and agnostic when I leave.

Einstein was an agnostic sure, but he didn't believe in God or religion. He didn't know how to explain many things, not just the creation of matter. Cells are made up of atoms, quarks, etc, I think you might have confused the two.

Truly the best answer for the answer to the question of life universe and everything is 42 as @janon said.

When I had my eureka moment whilst concocting a new mathematical formula connecting two hitherto unrelated disciplines, I had that sense of awe about how two divergent theories formulated in two different parts of the world could be connected with a page long description written while I urgently needed to go to the toilet but dared not to in case the inspiration left me.

It makes one think that there is an order to this universe , how else can everything be so inter connected, right?

Nah wrong, it doesn't take much doing to go beyond that and understand that in mass chaos there exists order.

Until the advent of modern CFD analysis techniques it was impossible to analyse the potential of plasma as a source of energy. Don't ask me how the two are related, I don't know. My prof connected solid state physics to medical brain imaging.

And if we remember that all sciences are just applied mathematics, one can see why I consider it to be the only true God in this universe. Heck the next universe over might have a completely different set of rules regarding the answer for 1+1

Rwreasding my post shows me how little sense most of it makes, I don't care I'm going to sleep now.

The universe might not need to have a meaning. there may not be any meaning to it at all. and actually, it makes sense that the universe has no meaning to it. the only reason we try to find meaning behind the universe is because we humans are a curious people who want to be able to understand everything we can. we are always interpreting the world around us based on our built up experiences from our past.
What past of the Universe do we know to give it any meaning,close to none.

You're saying what most people are, that is that we don't know enough to come to conclusions yet we're choosing to adapt and form conclusions on this universe.

From the scientific viewpoint, if there is no empirical evidence, then the answer is: "I don't know".

Which is the most logical answer.

Regarding a 'God'? I was referring to a meaning to this Universe or something along that line. So one one hand people who adhere to science tell us we work with what we know as of now, on the other hand they tell draw conclusions on a deity but also tell us we will never know enough.

Forget fox holes, I become a theist when I walk into a temple and agnostic when I leave.

Einstein was an agnostic sure, but he didn't believe in God or religion. He didn't know how to explain many things, not just the creation of matter. Cells are made up of atoms, quarks, etc, I think you might have confused the two.

Truly the best answer for the answer to the question of life universe and everything is 42 as @janon said.

When I had my eureka moment whilst concocting a new mathematical formula connecting two hitherto unrelated disciplines, I had that sense of awe about how two divergent theories formulated in two different parts of the world could be connected with a page long description written while I urgently needed to go to the toilet but dared not to in case the inspiration left me.

It makes one think that there is an order to this universe , how else can everything be so inter connected, right?

Nah wrong, it doesn't take much doing to go beyond that and understand that in mass chaos there exists order.

Until the advent of modern CFD analysis techniques it was impossible to analyse the potential of plasma as a source of energy. Don't ask me how the two are related, I don't know. My prof connected solid state physics to medical brain imaging.

And if we remember that all sciences are just applied mathematics, one can see why I consider it to be the only true God in this universe. Heck the next universe over might have a completely different set of rules regarding the answer for 1+1

Rwreasding my post shows me how little sense most of it makes, I don't care I'm going to sleep now.

So God is mathematics?

You're saying what most people are, that is that we don't know enough to come to conclusions yet we're choosing to adapt and form conclusions on this universe.

Regarding a 'God'? I was referring to a meaning to this Universe or something along that line. So one one hand people who adhere to science tell us we work with what we know as of now, on the other hand they tell draw conclusions on a deity but also tell us we will never know enough.

So God is mathematics?

So what you're saying is that since we can't positively prove that the universe doesn't have a purpose we can't disregard the possibility that it does?

Isn't that because there isn't anything else out there?
Well, what about all the life on Earth? Other than Humans, no other life form has made any effort or shown any inclination in this regard. Hence, God too remains a uniquely human invention.

Correct question is to ask why people believe there is any purpose..

So God is mathematics?

Mathematics is the basis for physics, chemistry etc. The building blocks of all creation, if there was ever a god, it is mathematics. But it is a cruel God, not entirely lifeless, but not one which responds to prayer.

I implore you to read the significant papers from recent history. A sense of awe will overcome you, not too dissimilar to what many Christians I know feel in "the presence of God"

The answer according to science is: "We don't know".

If someone chooses to draw their own conclusions, that is fine, but it is not within the realm of science.

In that scenario, it becomes a matter of faith, not science.

Well, what about all the life on Earth? Other than Humans, no other life form has made any effort or shown any inclination in this regard. Hence, God too remains a uniquely human invention.

Animals weren't created to worship a God, your argument makes no sense....

Back
Top Bottom