What's new

Why Chennai can't and won't speak Hindi

Couple of huge mistakes in your post. Sanskrit never was language of common people, it died thousands of years ago. No one speak sanskrit as mother tongue in India, only 10.000 speak as 2nd language for religious reasons.

Sanskrit was spoken not just in India but across SE Asia. In fact, languages such as modern Malay and Bahasa Indonesia have evolved from a Sanskrit base. As time went on, Sanskrit evolved on different lines and depending on geographical proximity to other Sanskrit speakers and intermediate influences. So Assamese, Bengali and Oriya sound similar with multitude of common words even though the Oriya scritpt is different from Assamese / Bengali. (BTW, the modern Thai script originated from the Oriya script). Similarly, Singhalese evolved differently from other North Indian Sanskrit influenced languages as its intermediate influences were Pali and it used the Brahmi script.

Pakistanis mainly believe Urdu was brought to India from Central Asia. :omghaha::omghaha: This guy Shan mentioned a theory about origin of Urdu from Punjabi and nowhere the article mentioned about Khariboli. :lol:

Don't don't be surprised about the weird theories about Urdu coming from Pakistan. :smart:

All of this was discussed like years/months ago in this forum. It pops up over and over and over again.

:cheers:

Yakeen kijiye aunty jee agher allah ne moka diya to Zaid Hamid khud jaye gha apne punjabi bhaio ko azad karane. Every punjabi shuld be free from oppresive goverment of Delhi.

Oppressive Govt at Delhi? & also Islamabad. meanwhile try not to blow up. :laughcry: wow epic trolling.

When you come out of the Chennai airport terminal you are greeted by a large poster announcing, No Hindi, Yes Tamil". In the shops restaurants or private clubs using is Hindi is taken as offensive. You got to use English which is understood to a reasonable extent.

Couple of huge mistakes in your post. Sanskrit never was language of common people, it died thousands of years ago. No one speak sanskrit as mother tongue in India, only 10.000 speak as 2nd language for religious reasons.

We know original brahmins who moved to India from Pakistan spoke sanskrit. Also urdu language was introduced by British in 18th century after they conquered Punjab. It seem you need to read history book or something.

Recheck Your statements I don't think it corroborates the facts. Pakistan has existed for only 66years, and so has the current political India. So What you refer to as Pakistan.... never existed before 1947, and nether did the current India.

Indian sub-continent and India country are not the same. Go to library somewhere outside Pakistan, read history. :hitwall:

When you come out of the Chennai airport terminal you are greeted by a large poster announcing, No Hindi, Yes Tamil". In the shops restaurants or private clubs using is Hindi is taken as offensive. You got to use English which is understood to a reasonable extent.

I never saw anything like that. Can you tell me what side of the Chennai airport. :wacko::wacko:

I never saw anything like that. Can you tell me what side of the Chennai airport. :wacko::wacko:

1.Chennai is the new name of Madras. Have you ever been there by air? As you come out of the terminal the walls are all painted with that slogan. The walls are full of them.

2. Have you tried speaking in Hindi with a cab driver? He will ask you to get down. The waiter at the restaurant / club will not serve a man talking to him in Hindi. The Nalli or India Silk House salesman might show you the door. You may not get a ticket to enter the Fort St George Museum. Oh no! These Tamils just hate northerners and Brahmins.

1.Chennai is the new name of Madras. Have you ever been there by air? As you come out of the terminal the walls are all painted with that slogan. The walls are full of them.

2. Have you tried speaking in Hindi with a cab driver? He will ask you to get down. The waiter at the restaurant / club will not serve a man talking to him in Hindi. The Nalli or India Silk House salesman might show you the door. You may not get a ticket to enter the Fort St George Museum. Oh no! These Tamils just hate northerners and Brahmins.

Hey Rupeenews wale Asad, I spoke in Hindi with many people in Chennai and Pondicherry. :wacko::wacko:

Leaving aside politics common people are speaking in native language Tamil as they love, it like it and enjoy it while speaking. Only politicians drive the public crazy which is very common whole south Asia, not only in Tamilnadu. As I have visited Kerala, which is pretty much similar to Tamil, I do know that many indigenous people speak Hindi more fluently than I can. Last but not the least India has more than 8 hundred languages being spoken now, so don't expect to tie us in one language. If we don't like other language then we also don't hate other languages. And we are not those morons who will do go on mass human rights violation only to just implement one language.

1. 800 languages means you have few ones alive just like every region and the rest are extinct

2. Those few ones include Hindi widely understood and adopted by your mainstream entertainment industry and the same language is portraying Indian image/India/ larger than life picture of India by exhibiting around the world.

3. NO Tollywood represent India abroad but Bollywood :)

4. Indeed locals love to speak in own native language its the same situation with other countries mine too BD Too. The ONLY difference is when one knows and can speak Urdu they do NOT refused to speak it. Whereas the case with TN is different.

5. I agree with their reasoning since Their language is far richer and their culture is far rich than others.

6. As far as politicians well I believe if people did NOT want they would NOT Have started agitation enmass against Hindi in 1937/38 in Tamil Nadu

:P Sir I did tried to speak with a auto driver when travelling and he was laughing looking at my face and he tried to tell me in his broken English that I should speak English with him NOT Hindi.

So I had to end up learning few tamil sentences to travel to my destination in Chennai.

When did u go there?

Nobody ll ask you to get down,neither ll they refuse to serve you.

Lot of Muslims in tn try to speak broken Urdu much more compared to Brahmins,many of them can't speak Hindi at all.

Why r u letting off your random gas here?

Can show me a pic of that poster?

Sanskrit was spoken not just in India but across SE Asia. In fact, languages such as modern Malay and Bahasa Indonesia have evolved from a Sanskrit base. .

Malay, Javanese, Balinese and even Thai evolved from medieval Tamil Grantham of the royal courts (similar to Persian/Urdu/Hindustani usage by the Mughal courts) , which had Sanskrit influence , these languages didn't evolve from Sanskrit. The Sanskrit words in these languages are borrowed from Tamil Grantham and not Sanskrit .

and the script of these languages evolved from Pallava Brahmi

The Pallava script was developed in southern India during the Pallava dynasty, (ca. 3rd-5th century AD) The Pallava script was based on the Brahmi script and consists of a matched set of symbols for consonants, as well as ways to write consonant clusters.

At first the script was used to write Sanskrit, varieties of Prakrit, including Pali, and a number of other languages. Later it became popular for religious and politcal inscriptions on stone monuments and for 500 years it was used in this way, with alterations and adaptations, to write most of the languages of Southeast Asia.

Many other scripts developed from, or were influenced by Pallava, including Telugu, Kannada, Tamil, Malayalam, Sinhala, Burmese, Khmer, Lanna, Thai, Lao, Cham, Javanese, Balinese, Buginese and Sundanese.

The script is also known as Southern Gupta Brahmi, proto-Kannada, Tamil Grantham, and by a number of other names.

Pallava alphabet

Indian class XII text book insults Anti Hindi , Tamil student agitation

TH09_ANTI_HINDI_CA_1107915f.jpg

Hahaha,explains the education level of the folks involved in this agitation,

:D there was never a United India only princely states so how can you have a national language

But there was United Pakistan still you lost east one .........
In India despite having so many differences not just in languages but in other aspects....STILL WE ARE ONE & UNITED INDIA....
Boss come to India once & travel across its length & breadth then you will realize our real strength(UNITY) is our Diversity yar....... This diversity gives you insight how you can preserve your own culture & live in harmony with other surrounding culture...
I know many of mine North indian friend became almost like in Tamil guy by wearing lungi/tikka eating idli most of the time...never miss the VANNAKAM....... HINDI TERI MAA..... TAMIL TERI YADEIN....

Back
Top Bottom