What's new

Why Chennai can't and won't speak Hindi

I do hope you know that Urdu is the mother-tongue for only 7 percent of Pakistanis. It was imported into Pakistan along with it's native speakers, the Mohajirs, who were mostly from India's gangetic belt. :agree:

And as for Sanskrit, indeed its preclassical, archaic version (Vedic Sanskrit)was composed along the banks of Indus. But due to the invasion of Punjab by Darius of Persia(around 400 BC if I'm right), classical Sanskrit moved away from Punjab. It developed and prospered in the Gangetic plains. Hence, it isn't all that alien to today's India either. :yahoo:

Couple of huge mistakes in your post. Sanskrit never was language of common people, it died thousands of years ago. No one speak sanskrit as mother tongue in India, only 10.000 speak as 2nd language for religious reasons.

We know original brahmins who moved to India from Pakistan spoke sanskrit. Also urdu language was introduced by British in 18th century after they conquered Punjab. It seem you need to read history book or something.

Looks like the site is not getting enough Adword revenues that they have unbanned trolls who were previously permanently banned :rofl:

Looks like the site is not getting enough Adword revenues that they have unbanned trolls who were previously permanently banned :rofl:

Which also explains how PDF allows multiple threads on one issue . Answer = Adword revenues ;)

Couple of huge mistakes in your post. Sanskrit never was language of common people, it died thousands of years ago. No one speak sanskrit as mother tongue in India, only 10.000 speak as 2nd language for religious reasons.

We know original brahmins who moved to India from Pakistan spoke sanskrit. Also urdu language was introduced by British in 18th century after they conquered Punjab. It seem you need to read history book or something.

Sanskrit was spoken by much of the populace of the Gangetic belt between 3rd century bc to 4-5th century AD before local/regional versions sprang up everywhere, known as Prakrits. I suggest you read more about Sanskrit before arriving at such hasty conclusions. Btw, I say this only to support the point that the regions of modern India also contributed to it's development immensely. :)

And why will the British introduce Urdu?? It was actually the court language of the nawabs of Oudh, who mixed Persian with the local Khadiboli dialect of Hindustani to create Urdu. Thus, Urdu is a language of today's Uttar Pradesh, not Punjab or Sindh. Hence I also say that Pakistan's National Language is also foreign to it.

:cheers:

Yakeen kijiye aunty jee agher allah ne moka diya to Zaid Hamid khud jaye gha apne punjabi bhaio ko azad karane.

This is the level of your knowledge in Urdu. :omghaha::omghaha: Tu Punjabi hi bola kar. :lol:

Hindi is basically street Urdu, in that its less poetic than Urdu, and less pleasant sounding.

Sanskrit was a spoken language, it was Maurya Emperor Ashoka who decided to use local Prakrit or Apbhramsha instead of Sanskrit to propagate Buddha's teaching.

And why will the British introduce Urdu?? It was actually the court language of the nawabs of Oudh, who mixed Persian with the local Khadiboli dialect of Hindustani to create Urdu. Thus, Urdu is a language of today's Uttar Pradesh, not Punjab or Sindh. Hence I also say that Pakistan's National Language is also foreign to it.

Urdu is known by everyone in Pakistan before Muhajir arrived which is why Pakistan decided to make it official language.

Your logic and your understanding of history is FLAWED.

Hindi is basically street Urdu, in that its less poetic than Urdu, and less pleasant sounding.

Depends on who's listening! Both Hindi and Urdu are direct descendants of Hindustani. To someone who understands Persian vocabulary, Urdu sounds pleasant while Hindi sounds pleasing to those who understand Sanskrit vocabulary. Hence, I think it isn't right to draw such conclusions on such subjective matters.

British introduced Urdu in Punjab in 19th century which was foreign to Punjab during the Mughal period.

Depends on who's listening! Both Hindi and Urdu are direct descendants of Hindustani. To someone who understands Persian vocabulary, Urdu sounds pleasant while Hindi sounds pleasing to those who understand Sanskrit vocabulary. Hence, I think it isn't right to draw such conclusions on such subjective matters.

Problem with that is that most Indians basically speak Urdu and label it Hindi...
In modern Hindi there are Persian, Turkish, Arabic words which were borrowed from Urdu.

Urdu is known by everyone in Pakistan before Muhajir arrived which is why Pakistan decided to make it official language.

Your logic and your understanding of history is FLAWED.

Definitely not true. It's only through 60+ years of promotion by the Government's language policies that Urdu/Hindi are today understood by a majority of Indians and Pakistanis. Also explains why so many Bangladeshis do not understand Urdu/Hindi.

Urdu was selected to be the national language because the majority of Pakistan's administrator's immediately after independence came from UP (they were the ones most interested in the creation of Pakistan too). Also, learning it would need equal effort from all Pakistanis and hence this was seen as a good unifying factor.

Back
Top Bottom