What's new

Why Chennai can't and won't speak Hindi

Grantham was the script used by Tamils to write Sanskrit. The South East Asian Temple architecture contains lots of inscriptions and quotation in Sanskrit.

can you be more precise , which temple are you referring to Angkor Wat IN Cambodia or the Prambanan in Central Java ?

also can you post the images as my sources claim, most of the South East Asian Sanskrit inscriptions are written in Pallava Grantha script (sources /images will follow up later )

Grantham was the script used by Tamils to write Sanskrit. The South East Asian Temple architecture contains lots of inscriptions and quotation in Sanskrit.

I was doing this research about Sanskrit and discovered that it was a verbal language in ancient times. Knowledge was passed from guru to student verbally and onwards (amazing memory those folks must be having).

Ironically, the first script in which sanskrit was written was in what is tamil script today, followed by other three south Indian scripts. :D

can you be more precise , which temple are you referring to Angkor Wat IN Cambodia or the Prambanan in Central Java ?

also can you post the images as my sources claim, most of the South East Asian Sanskrit inscriptions are written in Pallava Grantha script (sources /images will follow up later )

Grantha Script was for writing Sanskrit, I have read about Sanskrit inscription in Angkor Vat, no idea about their scripts.

Grantha alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Grantha script (Tamil: கிரந்த ௭ழுத்து - giranda eḻuttu) was widely used between the 6th century and the 19th century CE by Tamil speakers in Southern India, particularly in Tamil Nadu and Kerala, to write Sanskrit and classical Manipravalam, and is still in restricted use in traditional vedic schools (veda pāṭhaśālā). It evolved from the ancient Brāhmī script and is therefore classified under the Brahmic family of scripts.

The rising popularity of the Devanagari script for Sanskrit, and the political pressure created by the Tanittamil Iyakkam for its complete replacement by the modern Tamil script led to its gradual disuse and abandonment in Tamil Nadu in the early 20th century.

south1.gif

From your above link ........ didn't know there was an agitation in 1986 ...

Agitation of 1986

In 1986, Indian Prime minister Rajiv Gandhi introduced the "National Education Policy".[96] This education policy provided for setting up Navodaya Schools, where the DMK claimed teaching of Hindi would be compulsory. The Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (ADMK) led by M. G. Ramachandran (which had split from the DMK in 1972), was in power in Tamil Nadu and the DMK was the main opposition party. Karunanidhi announced an agitation against the opening of Navodaya Schools in Tamil Nadu. On 13 November, the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly unanimously passed a resolution demanding the repeal of Part XVII of the constitution and for making English the sole official language of the union.

On 17 November 1986, DMK members protested against the new education policy by burning Part XVII of the Constitution.[98] 20,000 DMK members including Karunanidhi were arrested. 21 persons committed suicide by self-immolation. Karunanidhi was sentenced to ten weeks of rigorous imprisonment. Ten DMK MLAs including K. Anbazhagan were expelled from the Legislative Assembly by the speaker P. H. Pandian.

Rajiv Gandhi assured Members of Parliament from Tamil Nadu that Hindi would not be imposed.[102] As part of the compromise, Navodhaya schools were not started in Tamil Nadu. Currently, Tamil Nadu is the only state in India without Navodhaya schools

1. 800 languages means you have few ones alive just like every region and the rest are extinct

2. Those few ones include Hindi widely understood and adopted by your mainstream entertainment industry and the same language is portraying Indian image/India/ larger than life picture of India by exhibiting around the world.

3. NO Tollywood represent India abroad but Bollywood :)

4. Indeed locals love to speak in own native language its the same situation with other countries mine too BD Too. The ONLY difference is when one knows and can speak Urdu they do NOT refused to speak it. Whereas the case with TN is different.

5. I agree with their reasoning since Their language is far richer and their culture is far rich than others.

6. As far as politicians well I believe if people did NOT want they would NOT Have started agitation enmass against Hindi in 1937/38 in Tamil Nadu

1- No all of these more than 800 languages are present in India. They are not extinct.

2- There is no such Bollywood & other wood, here we recognize them by Hindi film industry, Punjabi films, Bhojpuri films, Marathi film, Malayalam film & Tamil film(collectively south Indian movies), Telugu film & others also by their languages. And more importantly we do watch every regions film in dubbed languages. Together we call them Indian film Industry. There is nothing like domination. Only foreigners who are unaware of local understanding tend to think otherwise. Hope you get my point.

3- As I said in point 2 there is one & only one film Industry in India and that is Indian film Industry.

4- No that is not true. Tamil people are proud of their distinct language & culture but they also have opened very much just like us. I have been to southern part of India. I never faced language problem there. Many people speak in Hindi openly, not only migrants but also native people. And believe me there is no hatred against Hindi or any other language whatsoever(exceptions are every where, I agree just like there are few people in north of same attitude).

5- Every language is evolving continuously & is rich in cultural terms, Every one thinks their culture is greatest but no one claims that hey you language is worst either.

6- As I said there are pockets of people everywhere who refuses to acknowledge others just as in my community as well. And this is point which politicians use to exert their influence by any means. As time passes these kind of hate gets subsidies as we say here time is the best healer.

What are you people talking about ?

South Indians should be forced to learn and speak Hindi, their local languages should not be taught in school this will help to create a common language in India.

South Indians should be forced to learn and speak Hindi, their local languages should not be taught in school this will help to create a common language in India.

That will destroy India. I liked the way I learned,Hindi,being taught along with the local language [malayalam in my case] from LKG to 8th,were I got to chose to avoid one language. I avoided Hindi,and there was no languages in 10th and 12th.

That will destroy India. I liked the way I learned,Hindi,being taught along with the local language [malayalam in my case] from LKG to 8th,were I got to chose to avoid one language. I avoided Hindi,and there was no languages in 10th and 12th.

Friend. we need to learn to recognize the trolls and haters. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom