What's new

Which one is your favorite Bengali cuisine?

It's Oly Pub!! A very famous joint in Park Street. Always overcrowded with young people and intellectuals. :D The egg is Sunny side up. They don't cook much, the yellow portion.

Oly pub sucks, worst food, bad ambiance, rude staff. The only good thing is perhaps cheap drinks, which is why its popular with the young crowd.

Oly pub sucks, worst food, bad ambiance, rude staff. The only good thing is perhaps cheap drinks, which is why its popular with the young crowd.

Depends on choice. If you want the ambiance of 5 star hotel, I guess it'll not be a good idea to go to Oly pub.

Anyhow still Oly is always flooded with people.

There are other options as well. Go to Mags on the opposite side.

San Francisco Bay,CA

We have a couple of Bengali sweet shops owned by non Bengalis. hardly authentic.

NRBs have Bangla food shops in USA, UK, UAE but most of these shops have Indian flag in their billboards since there is nothing called Bangladeshi cuisine. It is known as Indian cuisine in abroad. Even Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are officially called Indians in USA. People hardly differentiate Bangladeshis from Indians in abroad. Its so sad. :(

NRBs have Bangla food shops in USA, UK, UAE but most of these shops have Indian flag in their billboards since there is nothing called Bangladeshi cuisine. It is known as Indian cuisine in abroad. Even Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are called Indians in USA. People hardly differentiate Bangladeshis from Indians in abroad. Its so sad. :(

That's not a problem. They basically can't distinguish. The reason is they don't have much interest in sub continent and frankly it's difficult as well.

Bdw it's nothing to be sad about. Will you be able to distinguish between a Chinese, Japanese or Korean or Thai. Or let's say between German, Russian, British, American, Australian, Swedish, French, Spanish, Portugese etc etc. or between an African and Caribbean ?

It depends on how you think. I think like this as, if someone calls me a Bangladeshi or a Pakistani, I won't be offended at all, rather I'll clarify him.

That's not a problem. They basically can't distinguish. The reason is they don't have much interest in sub continent and frankly it's difficult as well.

Bdw it's nothing to be sad about. Will you be able to distinguish between a Chinese, Japanese or Korean or Thai. Or let's say between German, Russian, British, American, Australian, Swedish, French, Spanish, Portugese etc etc. or between an African and Caribbean ?

But NRBs have to say they are Bangladeshi, not Indian to make others believe that they are from different country. In USA Bangladeshis are OFFICIALLY called Indians. I don't get why there is still no formal objection given to USA about this serious offense. We are really suffering from identity crisis in abroad.

But NRBs have to say they are Bangladeshi, not Indian to make others believe that they are from different country. In USA Bangladeshis are OFFICIALLY called Indians. I don't get why there is still no formal objection given to USA about this serious offense.

The italics part answer I gave in post 215.

The bold part, I was not aware of. If that's true, then it's incorrect, NRB's should object.

NRBs have Bangla food shops in USA, UK, UAE but most of these shops have Indian flag in their billboards since there is nothing called Bangladeshi cuisine. It is known as Indian cuisine in abroad. Even Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are officially called Indians in USA. People hardly differentiate Bangladeshis from Indians in abroad. Its so sad. :(

NRB is a restaurant?

You won't find much Indian Bengali Restaurants in US, but you will find many Bangladeshi Bengali restaurants. The food are distinctly similar. Only difference, they will have beef and we will not.

Bangladeshi restaurants are prominent in California (SFO, LA), New York, Chicago, Atlanta, where the population is more. SO you can try there. You'll get the taste. Since you are in SFO, check thoroughly, you'll definitely get one.

But definitely you'll not get that taste here, what we get back home.

even the few Indian restaurants owned by Bangladeshis do not serve Bengali food here. But I have to research more.

But NRBs have to say they are Bangladeshi, not Indian to make others believe that they are from different country. In USA Bangladeshis are OFFICIALLY called Indians. I don't get why there is still no formal objection given to USA about this serious offense. We are really suffering from identity crisis in abroad.

abey kitna rota hai.. we call all white people as 'firangi' or british... and all east asian people as chinese (or another word which I wont repeat)... whats the big deal..
btw I am called paqi here... :cheers:

Ironically best Indian food are served in restaurants owned by Bangladeshis especially in Britain.

Climbing perch= koi mach
Spotted snakehead = Taki mach
Clown Knifefish = Chitol mach
@Dillinger khaba bhai ? :azn:

Kisob injiri naam, ritimoton ghabriye diyechile! :D

Chingri mach is also my fav.

hqdefault.jpg

I haven't tasted Kakra (crab) yet. Will taste one day for sure. This is popular in west Bengal but in Bangladesh this is not eaten by majority of people since they are not sure if its halal or makruh to eat Kakra. If chingri is halal then I think Kakra is also halal.

Kakra is much tastier than chingri, but a lot difficult to eat because of its hard shell. Bigger kakra's are tastier, but with harder shell. And you can't cook kakra without shell. Try the reddish kakra, don't buy the blackish kakras. I love them. :smitten:

Ilish macher dimer kotha keu bollo na! :cray:

Hilsa is Tasty specially (I think only) in Mustard/mustard oil only. But you have to eat it slowly otherwise the thin bones(we call it kanta) may give you trouble if stuck inside mouth. You can never remove all the bones from hilsa. The bigger the fish the bigger the bones and it is easier to eat.

I know anatomy of all the fishes and can tackle the bones with my eyes closed. :D

:raise: me me :raise: some times i eat the big bone :ashamed:

Me too!! :D Macher matha pray kichui pore thake na! Ar choto mach hole kata bachabachir dikei jai na, chibiye kheye feli.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kisob injiri naam, ritimoton ghabriye diyechile! :D

Kakra is much tastier than chingri, but a lot difficult to eat because of its hard shell. Bigger kakra's are tastier, but with harder shell. And you can't cook kakra without shell. Try the reddish kakra, don't buy the blackish kakras. I love them. :smitten:

Ilish macher dimer kotha keu bollo na! :cray:

I know anatomy of all the fishes and can tackle the bones with my eyes closed. :D

Me too!! :D Macher matha pray kichui pore thake na! Ar choto mach hole kata bachabachir dikei jai na, chibiye kheye feli.

Here's Illish macher dim for you.... I love it a lott!! :D

hilsa-jhol4.jpg

@IamBengali ........ plz put some more pics....

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't understand why we can't grow Ilish in ponds!Would be great if we could!

Because Ilish is a samudrik mach (salt water fish), there life cycle is similar to Salmon fish, they lay egg in sweet river water, after hatched they go to sea and become adults there, and then they come back to their birth place to lay egg again.

:laughcry: :omghaha: because it is deep water fish, if you bring it on light, within few second it will die

Cheleta jobe theke sniper chere beraler preme poreche, tobe theke kisob bhulbhal bokche!! :D

There is a project going on in BD to raise Ilish fish in ponds. Let see if it works out.

Pond water hilsa under test run

<i>Pond water hilsa under test run</i>

Hobe bole mone hoy na, holeo sei taste asbe na. :undecided:

:eek: I can't do that!! I have to take each and every bones before eating and it takes me a long long time. Ones in a reception I ate 4-5 peices of Hilsa but for that I continued with 3-4 batches of people.

My dad and my friends are expert in that but I fail. :confused:

If I sit there for 3-4 batches, then Ilish mach will become extinct! :D

Depends on demand. During Pohela Boishakh the demand for Hilsha reaches sky high. We can't celebrate Pohela Boishakh without Deep Hilsha fry. So during that time per kg Hilsha is found @ thousand Taka but other time per kg is 400 to 700 taka. Even we can get 1 kg Hilsha @ 150-200 taka but these are not very tasty Hilsha. The tasty Padma's Hilsha is not found that much due to export to India and Middle East. We can't get our Hilsha but we get our Hilsha in abroad.

I don't know the price of Rohu Fish (Rui). I don't like that fish. I like Ilish, Chingri, Koi. I don't like the taste of Rohu fish.

150-200 takay Ilish!!!! :what: Ami Bangladeshe jabo!!! :hitwall:

Keu jane Borishal kemon jayga....ar Khulna?? :ashamed: Chobi tobi kichu post kora jabe?

Back
Top Bottom