What's new

Whether or Not Pakistan Will Join the War in Yemen May Depend on a Group You’ve Probably Never Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read Christine Fair and decided to give myself a pass and by reading the comments, i believe the choice was right.

Wow, you guys have only insults and offer no specific criticisms to back up your opinions. So if it wasn't for @FaujHistorian her analysis would stand unchallenged.

And even FH's criticisms don't counter Fair's main points, imo: That the generals call the shots doesn't detract from her analysis and that JuD has little public support is irrelevant in a Pakistan where decision-making is like an iceberg: democracy is the visible part but nine-tenths of the process is under water and invisible. (Though I count the parliamentary debate as progress, I still consider it subordinate to the generals.)

Thank you Solomon bhai jaan (my dear brother Solomon).

King Solomon (or Prophet Solomon Elaihe Salam) was known for making grand decisions, building grand buildings, and having a way with beautiful women like Queen Sheeba. So he is my hero. My kind of guy.

Jokes aside, Solomon Bhai.
It is a military matter indeed. And thus generals have to call the shots. Why the heck not.

For some reason some leftist writers in the West are allergic to Pakistani generals. Oh bhai jaan they are from us, we are martial people and thus love our generals (few bad eggs are in every group and we have / had them too).
We respect our generals and our soldiers more than politicians.

This is our culture.

However that doesn't mean we don't want our democracy. We as a nation have learned our lessons. And the past 2 decades are sort of a visible shift where army, judiciary, politicians, civil society have all figure out a bit more.

So I am saddened when good people like you delve in the mess of 1970s and dig up dirt against our generals.

Sorry to see this.

Do you hear the chicken called hafiz saeed come home to roost ?

This is why Saudis fund extremism in Pakistan.

do you know the theory to proxies?
master uses proxies, proxies dont command the master
thats if what shitheads believe to true. the other lie is and as unfortunate as it is, overwhelming majority supports Saudia

I wouldn't go quite that far. Rather, she's forceful, even rude, and that could possibly blind her to some useful inputs. That only means her analyses would be incomplete, not fanciful.

Look solomon bhai jaan

I have known Ms. Fair for a long time.

She started out as a pro-Pakistani thinker and writer. We both communicated via email. And she had a balanced view.

Then for some reason, she felt she is not getting anywhere in the Washington circles. 2 terms of Obama have indeed resulted in a much worse love hate relation betweeen Pakistan and USA.

Ms. Fair like any sensible thinker tanker in DC, adjusted her stance, and slowly changed to where she is now.

Do I say she is a bad person?

No. Not at all.

She is a columnist, writer, and a thinker tanker (my terms). In her current frame of mind, she is in a la la land.

I hope she comes out of it after elections in the US. But she may not. Who knows.

Please read my detailed response earlier in terms of "who holds sway on public opinion in Pak and you will understand".

Thank you.

It is a military matter indeed. And thus generals have to call the shots. Why the heck not.
Because if the generals are calling the shots then representative democracy is merely a farce.

So I am saddened when good people like you delve in the mess of 1970s and dig up dirt against our generals.
Sunshine is a disinfectant; burial kills the body politic.

Because if the generals are calling the shots then representative democracy is merely a farce.

Sunshine is a disinfectant; burial kills the body politic.

In war time, would you be Churchill or a chamberlain. ?

In war time, would you be Churchill or a chamberlain. ?
Uniquely among the Allied leaders, both Chamberlain and Churchill were subject to dismissal at any time if they failed a vote of confidence in Parliament.

That's pretty obvious, isn't it? I'd choose to be an MP, second-guessing my leaders and holding them to account.

nah.

Stand up for your own beliefs and conviction bhai jaan.
But do so after thoroughly researching history AND present.

Look solomon bhai jaan

I have known Ms. Fair for a long time.

She started out as a pro-Pakistani thinker and writer. We both communicated via email. And she had a balanced view.

Then for some reason, she felt she is not getting anywhere in the Washington circles. 2 terms of Obama have indeed resulted in a much worse love hate relation betweeen Pakistan and USA.

Ms. Fair like any sensible thinker tanker in DC, adjusted her stance, and slowly changed to where she is now.

Do I say she is a bad person?

No. Not at all.

She is a columnist, writer, and a thinker tanker (my terms). In her current frame of mind, she is in a la la land.

I hope she comes out of it after elections in the US. But she may not. Who knows.

Please read my detailed response earlier in terms of "who holds sway on public opinion in Pak and you will understand".

Thank you.

Do you have links to any of her earlier works/articles before she went on her anti-pakistan rampage? Thanks in advance.

I note that Hafiz Saeed's statement the day after Fair's analysis was published supports my contention about Pakistani decision-making and diminishes @FaujHistorian counter-argument, since Saeed claims the Parliament vote does not truly reflect the sentiments of the masses - i.e., Saeed, despite JuD receiving only a fraction of the votes as F.H. points out, is responsible to the people that really make the decisions: link

We'll see who wins this battle. If it's shown that Pakistan stayed out of the Yemen morass as Parliament clearly wishes (despite N.S.'s spinning) I'll concede that Pakistan's democracy is making progress. Open or secret involvement supporting KSA's intervention will mean the opposite.

Do you have links to any of her earlier works/articles before she went on her anti-pakistan rampage? Thanks in advance.

it was probably 3-4 years ago (at least).

As I have this old connection with her writings, I'd not say she is on anti-Pakistan "rampage", just different opinion.

I'll try to dig up some old email messages if possible. But as I said the stuff is many years old.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom