What's new

Whatever

Can't see Instagram posts. Copy paste the content please.
Ohh, just a clip of man crying in funny accent when he get to know after 3 months that whom he was talking wasn't nazeen but asghar:rofl::rofl:

Ohh, just a clip of man crying in funny accent when he get to know after 3 months that whom he was talking wasn't nazeen but asghar:rofl::rofl:

Seeing is believing ....... and in case of Nazeen from Lahore ....... seeing is not enough, you need to wait for her to say some words too. The accent may turn you off.

50687303_585638901841666_2749535589274484736_n.jpg

BTW @Tps43 thats from one of my favourite Tom and Jerry episodes "Heavenly Puss" iirc.

hahahahah
Btw I wanna kill/eat those mousies but can't cross line:lol:
Do u like my current avatar :lol:

LOL. Yeah I like this one....reminds me bit of dr jekyll and hyde...we all have that going on to some extent hehe

From another thread,

Brahmi was first used to write in Prakrit, a language that is directly descended from Indo-Aryan, the language of the Vedas, while Sanskrit was an attempt at cleaning up the grammar of the by-then verging on the obsolete Vedic.
Oh so Prakrit is a direct descendant of original vedic language that we actually call vedic sanksrit?

And since Bengali also came from Prakrit , so Bengali is basically the daughter of vedic language and not sanksrit?

However I read somewhere that the language of vedic is chhandos ( ছান্দস), so it's actually not sanksrit?

So Dada is it possible to learn some difference between the pronunciations? Can you write those pronunciations ( few same sentences both in sanksrit and old vedic version ) in Bengali so that I can understand clearly? As I think in English wording proper sound ( vocals) of sanksrit is impossible to write.
@Joe Shearer
@Nilgiri

Ps: I have a copy of 4 Vedas and also a copy of Gita.
Both Vedas and Gita has sanksrit verses ( in Bengali wording ) and Bengali translation of those verses .

Yet I found no difference between two books, so I am a bit confused! Probably my knowledge is too little to understand those differences as I only can read those verses in Bengali wording . That's why I am requesting for some examples :).

Last edited:
Oh so Prakrit is a direct descendant of original vedic language that we actually call vedic sanksrit?

Not really....but in someways yes (it depends). The prakrit(s) we know about (evidence wise i.e written mostly and some analysis of spoken languages today) are descendants of the earlier sanskrit/"prakrit" that would have existed in the Vedic era.

Only the sanskrit from that era was preserved (orally/aurally) because it was the highest register of the language (and designed specifically so there was little to no chance of mistakes happening in the mouth to ear learning system the earliest priests/bards devised, given the word sounds themselves were considered Word of God...i.e Sruti).

There would of course have been a more laypeople language used by the broader population in that time...which would qualify as what we call prakrits later. There is of course no evidence as to how it sounded given it was not passed in that time (where there was no writing, only spoken+hearing record that preserved the highest register for religious purposes...i.e what we call Vedic Sanskrit).

And since Bengali also came from Prakrit , so Bengali is basically the daughter of vedic language and not sanksrit?

Again Sanskrit is simply the highest register of the indo-european language that predated written Prakrit. Bengali is definitely a direct descendant/relative of all (Vedic Sanskrit, Vedic Prakrit, Classical Sanskrit, Classical Prakrits and all their earliest descendants) of it....it is an Indic language, which is major branch of indo-european family. Just we have no direct idea about what Vedic "Prakrit" was like...it just has not been preserved in the oral tradition of that time (only vedic sanskrit was).

However I read somewhere that the language of vedic is chhandos ( ছান্দস), so it's actually not sanksrit?

That is just vedic sanskrit (specifically the meter, which is precisely designed and thus has poetic forms in prakrits, descendants and Hindustani etc). Classical Sanskrit is more vernacular use, thus does not have this "meter" in same way (though it is found in most major compositions etc) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedic_meter

Vedic Sanskrit after all is not very layperson friendly...in fact that is why classical sanskrit was later developed and codified (and even that is not very layperson friendly either but it does have direct links to most official registers today of the indic languages).

Vedic sanskrit is like it is by origin/design/meter (whatever combo you believe) to basically preserve the sound exactly. You have to learn at least one Veda to really know why (the process also has many specific tools like memorizing back to front and front to back equally in word order, so to prevent any chance of mistake, much like a code checker)....its not flexible to be used to write/speak new things/ideas...even new grammars/shortcuts/innovations. That was the purpose of classical sanskrit (and of course prakrits which is even more easier given it basically took the form of the local influences wherever it was). Classical sanskrit itself took much influence from Dravidian languages it is increasingly being found (and vice versa).

Rest I will let Joe answer :P for Bengali script pronounciations of Sanskrit. You are right that English will do a lousy job.

Both Vedas and Gita has sanksrit verses ( in Bengali wording ) and Bengali translation of those verses .

Yet I found no difference between two books, so I am a bit confused! Probably my knowledge is too little to understand those differences as I only can read those verses in Bengali wording . That's why I am requesting for some examples

Are you saying the transliteration and translation are exactly the same (into Bengali)? Bengali (And all prakrit descendants) has all the script it needs to capture Sanskrit (all indic languages essentially do) I think...but not 100% sure. Joe would know more on this I think. I am only familiar with devanagari (and grantha) for written sanskrit (be it Vedic or Classical).

This is different to Tamil (which is Dravidian language at root)...we have both non-sanskrit sounds and also not enough ways to capture Sanskrit in what is considered "pure" written Tamil these days. That is why in earlier days we had Grantha script in Tamil co-existing as well (to have the full range needed for Sanskrit/prakrit sounds).

Back
Top Bottom