What's new

Whatever

Pakistan is doing a wonderful job with the One Billion Trees project. India should follow.

In some places in the recent flooding in some parts of India, especially in the hill areas, there were landslides because the problem was deforestation. If those places had been held in the soil by trees then quite a bit of the landslides would not have happened.
That tells you the difference between a true visionary leader and a run of the mill greedy politician whose aim is to get power and wealth. It is IK who has this vision otherwise none was bothered in this nation of 210 million people from politicians to bureaucracy.

Last edited:
That tells you the difference between a true visionary leader and a run of the mill greedy politician whose aim is to get power and wealth. It is IK who has this vision otherwise none was bothered in this nation of 210 million people from politicians to bureaucracy.

Yes, that shows vision.

I suppose what is remaining is his handling the rampaging hordes of the Tehreek-e-Labbaik in the manner that Musharraf used to handle.

---

@padamchen , that Ambedkar thread is locked. I will post my thoughts on that in a future similar thread.

Yes, that shows vision.

I suppose what is remaining is his handling the rampaging hordes of the Tehreek-e-Labbaik in the manner that Musharraf used to handle.

---

@padamchen , that Ambedkar thread is locked. I will post my thoughts on that in a future similar thread.

Post them here bro. Kya sharmana.

Sab bhai hain. Ya sautele.

Cheers, Doc

Yes, that shows vision.

Well, we know what are the issues and know how to tackle them.

@padamchen , your long post's section :
The Muslims who were a power in 1947 have gone increasingly downhill in impact. There are a number of reasons for this. Pakistan. The baggage of partition. The perception of other Indians. Their own ghettoization and community indrawing. Their lack of leadership. Their readiness to be used as pawns rather than actually find their own voice and space. Their lack of investment in education. Radicalization. The vicious cycle of the downward spiral of poverty and explosion in impoverished uneducated numbers. These have all contributed.

I agree to some of that and disagree to the rest.

The Muslim community in India is a sizable number but ghettoized. This has nothing to do with poverty. A lot of us are Middle Middle Class, so-called educated, but they live in ghettos, most probably because of safety concerns that will arise during possible riots. These are middle class ghettos but ghettos nonetheless. An indrawn community.

You pointed out the lack of leadership. The Indian Muslim community is unique in the sense that it hasn't largely seen leaders of the Leftist/Progressive tilt become popular among them, like, for example, the Ba'ath movement in Iraq and Syria.

As far as I know, the Urdu language used to be, in the pre-Partition days, a means of disseminating progressive ideas but later became regressive, mullah'fied because the middle-class hadn't bothered to live a life beyond the limiting "School-College-Job-Marriage-Children" cycle.

Though the Communist Party of India had four Muslims among its founders, in a later time there weren't born an Indian Jamal Abdul Nasser, an Indian Gaddafi etc.

Today, the Indian Muslim middle class is more recognized by the Tableeghi Jamaatis ( those irritating and terrorist-creating preachers ) than someone along the lines of Che Guevara.

@padamchen , your long post's section :

I agree to some of that and disagree to the rest.

The Muslim community in India is a sizable number but ghettoized. This has nothing to do with poverty. A lot of us are Middle Middle Class, so-called educated, but they live in ghettos, most probably because of safety concerns that will arise during possible riots. These are middle class ghettos but ghettos nonetheless. An indrawn community.

You pointed out the lack of leadership. The Indian Muslim community is unique in the sense that it hasn't largely seen leaders of the Leftist/Progressive tilt become popular among them, like, for example, the Ba'ath movement in Iraq and Syria.

As far as I know, the Urdu language used to be, in the pre-Partition days, a means of disseminating progressive ideas but later became regressive, mullah'fied because the middle-class hadn't bothered to live a life beyond the limiting "School-College-Job-Marriage-Children" cycle.

Though the Communist Party of India had four Muslims among its founders, in a later time there weren't born an Indian Jamal Abdul Nasser, an Indian Gaddafi etc.

Today, the Indian Muslim middle class is more recognized by the Tableeghi Jamaatis ( those irritating and terrorist-creating preachers ) than someone along the lines of Che Guevara.

Your point about middle class (even mid to upper ... look at Fakhri Hills in Poona - abutting low middle Kondhwa, Gulshan in Mumbai abutting a basti whose name I forget) is well taken.

Muslims do tend to flock together across social strata into areas, which have different levels per the social strata abutting each other.

And you are correct. It is for safety.

One big difference now is that a local riot can very quickly become wider. Like Godhra (where we saw it for the first time).

Hindus will now negate the local advantage and join forces across the older established lines.

Muslims can do the same. Till a point.

Eventually numbers will tell.

Cheers, Doc

P.S I am sorry to both sides about talking so matter of factly about riots. But I've seen and lived through my share. VERY close up as a boy ....

Back
Top Bottom