What's new

Whatever

It's complicated:mad:. Think of me more as an NSA employee assigned to the military, rather than pure military. I couldn't become an officer even if I wanted too:(.

Ahhh so you're like my Grandpa; after he joined the Pakistan Army he joined as a civilian civil engineer ! :agree:

So he didn't have a rank and not as many chances of advancement as a military guy ! :(

On Subs? I give you props for that , buddy. I personally hate being in subs, too claustrophobic for me. Prefer being on a Destroyer.

I really didn't have a choice:lol:. I specialized in SATCOMS, subs make extensive use of satellite communication and the Navy was short staffed in that department, so I was tabbed for training. I could accept, get hazard pay, or decline and sit on my butt for the next few years at a desk.

Being young and naive I chose the submarine:hitwall:.

Not even as an officer? Really?

I've even considered going back to JMSDF , and start at an officer level, but a las, i'm too used to civilian life now. And civilian pay. :lol:

Aint that right @SvenSvensonov ?

:yahoo:Money's better, hours are better, I have more free time. Why would I choose military service again? Civilian life is good:yahoo:.

It's complicated:mad:. Think of me more as an NSA employee assigned to the military, rather than pure military. I couldn't become an officer even if I wanted too:(.

Contractual position ? I've some friends (former US Navy) who work in cyber security and are stationed close to where you live, by the way. They do a lot of traveling to Hawaii, San Diego, and Japan.

PS. I can't believe how much they're paid for their line of work. Ridiculous...$$$

Ahhh so you're like my Grandpa; after he joined the Pakistan Army he joined as a civilian civil engineer ! :agree:

So he didn't have a rank and not as many chances of advancement as a military guy ! :(

Contractual position ? I've some friends (former US Navy) who work in cyber security and are stationed close to where you live, by the way. They do a lot of traveling to Hawaii, San Diego, and Japan.

PS. I can't believe how much they're paid for their line of work. Ridiculous...$$$

Well... I joined the military, but what I did was the purview of the NSA and NRO, not the USN. I was a military member and active personal, but I was being paid and ranked like a civilian, even though I wasn't one. Like I said, it's complicated.

Not even as an officer? Really?

I've even considered going back to JMSDF , and start at an officer level, but a las, i'm too used to civilian life now. And civilian pay. :lol:

Aint that right @SvenSvensonov ?

I was talking about the officer rank; 23 year is the limit for Pakistan Military Academy's (PMA) long course (cadet course) unless of course you're a serving soldier of a non-commissioned rank (or from the sister services) than you can join till 25 or till 24 if you've gone for higher education !

When you've got tens of thousands of Pakistanis applying for a mere few hundred positions at PMA; you've got the luxury of going for the best of the best.

:yahoo:Money's better, hours are better, I have more free time. Why would I choose military service again? Civilian life is good:yahoo:.

The chance to fight and if need be die for your country and your countrymen - Can there be a higher honor for any man than to lay down his life protecting those who cannot protect themselves ? :azn:

Well... I joined the military, but what I did was the purview of the NSA and NRO, not the USN. I was a military member and active personal, but I was being paid and ranked like a civilian, even though I wasn't one. Like I said, it's complicated.

That's one of the main reasons why I really appreciated military service. The level of networking, and fiscal support, and opportunities given. My entire undergraduate and graduate program (Master's level) was fully funded by the JMSDF (we have something similar to the GI bill, which pays for bachelors' and graduate level education). Then after finishing my M.S in the US, i applied for my Ph.D program, which i received a scholarship for , and JMSDF partially funds some of my educational expenses.

That's one of the main reasons why I really appreciated military service. The level of networking, and fiscal support, and opportunities given. My entire undergraduate and graduate program (Master's level) was fully funded by the JMSDF (we have something similar to the GI bill, which pays for bachelors' and graduate level education). Then after finishing my M.S in the US, i applied for my Ph.D program, which i received a scholarship for , and JMSDF partially funds some of my educational expenses.

I was talking about the officer rank; 23 year is the limit for Pakistan Military Academy's (PMA) long course (cadet course) unless of course you're a serving soldier of a non-commissioned rank (or from the sister services) than you can join till 25 or till 24 if you've gone for higher education !

When you've got tens of thousands of Pakistanis applying for a mere few hundred positions at PMA; you've got the luxury of going for the best of the best.

The chance to fight and if need be die for your country and your countrymen - Can there be a higher honor for any man than to lay down his life protecting those who cannot protect themselves ? :azn:

Alright guys, I've really got to get back to work now:lol:. I see you both later:wave:.

I specialized in SATCOMS
:D

Svenson, i want to ask you a question. To pin-point your location on earth, you need to connect to 4 satellites.

- Now let's say, To have 7/24 GPS in Turkey, how many satellites do we need in orbit ?

- Also, how does GPS works ? I mean do you have to have a specialized/dedicated sattelite for it or just a module that can be fitted on all types of satellites ?

- Also, how does GPS works ? I mean do you have to have a specialized/dedicated sattelite for it or just a module that can be fitted on all types of satellites ?

GPS is not a module that can be plugged onto any satellite (though other modules like telecommunications, as seen on BeiDou, can be put onto GPS satellites to afford them additional capabilities), it takes an entire satellite - 4 actually for an accurate reading, to come up with ground coordinates. A GPS Satellite consists of the satellite's battery, its atomic clocks - which is the module that keeps time and tracks coordinates, a communications node for speaking with ground stations, a receiver that can receive information from ground stations and GPS modules, and cooling systems to make sure the whole satellite doesn't get too hot and fry its circuitry. You're not just going to put an atomic clock on any satellite and call it a GPS satellite... especially since many non-GPS satellites have atomic clocks as well, though the ones on GPS sats are more sensitive:

This is the cesium atomic clock on the NAVSTAR-2 Block II GPS Satellite. Each Block II - launched in 1989, carried 2 cesium and 2 rubidium atomic clocks.
43497bb0-2167-4cb6-a257-f00afc7b3834.jpg

GPS: How GPS works; its future and history

:D

- Now let's say, To have 7/24 GPS in Turkey, how many satellites do we need in orbit ?

28 will provide complete coverage over the Earth, the USAF has 31 active - and two backups at any one time (more on standby if needed). The number needed for Turkey is at least 4, but the actual number needed depends on the capacity of the satellite constellation. The more information they can handle, the less you'll need, though having spares and backup satellites is needed too. The minimum recommended number is 6.

Last edited:
This is true, however, in the case of the "Zulu" Cobra this is a phonetic designation rather than a name relating to Native American tribes - especially since the name of the helicopter is cobra and not a Native Name like Sioux or Lakota.

Take the "Whiskey" cobra as an example, there is no Native American tribe called Whiskey, but Whiskey is part of the Phonetic Alphabet, which the US uses to demarcate different blocks. the AH-1Z being the most recent, and probably the last of the AH-1 line for the US military, hence it's "Zulu" designation.

It's the same phenomenon seen in this article with the mention of the F-15 "charlie"

F-15 fighters have been flown since the 1970s, with the single-seat “Charlie” version that crashed Wednesday first appearing in the latter half of the decade, Air Force officials say.

After crash in Virginia, a brief history of F-15 fighter jet mishaps - The Washington Post

See the above explanation to answer your question.

So @SvenSvensonov if I say that I go :o: every time I read @Víðarr 's post because I've never come across a lady who knew so much about the military, deep down I could be a male chauvinist ? :undecided:

Or could it be something natural because of all the women I've ever known as friends or family members; I can't recall a single one who even knew the name of our Naval chief let alone knowing what an Agosta 90 B is ? :unsure:

Those ladies are bright as hell in the areas that interest them and the professions they've chosen for themselves but they were completely disinterested in anything to do with the military ! :(

Back
Top Bottom