What's new

Whatever

Hey @SvenSvensonov @Víðarr @Nihonjin1051 - Why did you guys opt for the Navy ? :unsure:

Why not the Army or the Airforce ? :)

If I had decided to go for the Armed forces I would've followed my Grandpa in his footsteps and joined the Army; he was in the British Indian Army and later the Pakistan Army ! :smokin:

Can anything beat commanding an Armored Division ? :azn:

Ahhh....it would've been fun; imagine General Armstrong commanding the Pakistani Armored Corp ! 8-)

Gosh I've played too many strategy computer games and watched Patton and Rommel movies far too many times ! :oops:

Yes, the USAF has golf courses on their air bases:lol:. That sounds like a win to me, less dangerous too.

Hey @SvenSvensonov @Víðarr @Nihonjin1051 - Why did you guys opt for the Navy ? :unsure:

It offered me what I wanted, the only other branch I was interested in was the Air Force for their Joint Space Command, but there are no major bases near where I lived that offered what I was looking for... though there is Hill AFB in Utah, where I lived until I graduated from high school, but it hosts fighter wings.

I wanted to work with military electronics, but didn't want to joint a specialized unit like the Joint Communications Unit - part of JSOC, so I went for Navy service instead. I ended up in a specialized unit anyways:partay:.

Navy port-of-calls are fun too, it lets young men see the world... though all too often that's the red-light district:lol:

Last edited:
been to doylestown a couple of times, a nice little quaint suburb. Main Street really comes alive there on nights and especially weekends.

One of these days when schedules allow, we'll have to meet up and I'll show you some of the cool 'off the beaten path' stuff in center city. We'll make a day out of it.

Yes, i agree with you! I had a meeting there , just an hour long, then i decided to stop by the Shrine to Our Lady of Czestochowa. Ever heard of it or been there before? Its a really beautiful place, btw, specially for spiritual retreats.

Doylestown and the surrounding area is a really nice place, very homely , lol. Its very similar to South Jersey , specially the farms.

That would be great if we could meet up sometime this summer. We can do a South Street tour at night or something. I hear that area is known for its bars. Or wherever , i admit i haven't explored Philly that much. I definitely need to explore more , lol.

Yes, the USAF has golf courses on their air bases:lol:. That sounds like a win to me, less dangerous too.

It offered me what I wanted, the only other branch I was interested in was the Air Force for their Joint Space Command, but there are no major bases near where I live that offered what I was looking for... though there is Hill AFB in Utah, where I lived until I graduated from high school, but it hosts fighter wings..

I wanted to work with military electronics, but didn't want to joint a specialized unit like the Joint Communications Unit - part of JSOC, so I went for Navy service instead. I ended up in a specialized unit anyways:partay:.

Navy port-of-calls are fun too, it lets young men see the world... though all too often that's the red-light district:lol:

So you didn't join the Navy because you wanted to die in battle and reach Valhalla ? :undecided:

Just kidding ! :oops:

@Nihonjin1051 - You still mad at me ? :(

So you didn't join the Navy because you wanted to die in battle and reach Valhalla ? :undecided:

:sarcastic:

Not this early:D.

Statistically though, Navy members are the least likely to die while in service. Air Force is next, but crashes happen that improve their odds of death :crazy_pilot:. The thought of drowning always lingers in your mind while navigating under the sea though, but I wasn't a permanent feature on any submarine patrol, I joined occasionally so the threat wasn't always there.

Nope, nothing much could bother me at SPAWAR... boredom maybe, it's the number one killer of Navy desk-jockys.

There is this place in Bensonhurst. If you do come by just lmk and I will give you its name (escapes me at the moment).

I would have to disagree currently but I may have just had a bad experience. Brooklyn does have the best pizza though, I will never forget when I went to Connecticut and bought an expensive *** slice only for it to taste like cardboard. :lol: Not just Connecticut though, no other state has pizza that is as good imo.

Hahaha, i agree buddy. When it comes to flat style pizza , NYC (Brooklyn) takes the cake. But ever had the deep pan pizza from Chicago? Those are good too, but I'd lean towards NYC style tho.

Why not the Army or the Airforce ? :)

If I had decided to go for the Armed forces I would've followed my Grandpa in his footsteps and joined the Army; he was in the British Indian Army and later the Pakistan Army ! :smokin:

Ahhh....it would've been fun; imagine General Armstrong commanding the Pakistani Armored Corp ! 8-)

Gosh I've played too many strategy computer games and watched Patton and Rommel movies far too many times ! :oops:

For me, the reason why I chose Navy was because of the prestige associated with the Navy. My grandfather served in the Imperial Navy, as did my grand uncles, so it was a legacy in my family. It was one of the best times in my life , serving in the JMSDF. :)

Statistically though, Navy members are the least likely to die while in service. Air Force is next, but crashes happen that improve their odds of death :crazy_pilot:. The thought of drowning always lingers in your mind while navigating under the sea though, but I wasn't a permanent feature on any submarine patrol, I joined occasionally so the threat wasn't always there.

Nope, nothing much could bother me at SPAWAR... boredom maybe, it's the number one killer of Navy desk-jockys.

Submarine patrol ! :o:

I'd feel so claustrophobic in there ! :lol:

On what ships did you serve in, buddy?

It offered me what I wanted, the only other branch I was interested in was the Air Force for their Joint Space Command, but there are no major bases near where I lived that offered what I was looking for... though there is Hill AFB in Utah, where I lived until I graduated from high school, but it hosts fighter wings.

Did you by any chance take part in the Jr ROTC program in your high school ?

Submarine patrol ! :o:

I'd feel so claustrophobic in there ! :lol:

Oh yes, it sucked bad:sarcastic:. Too little space, too many people.

On what ships did you serve in, buddy?

I was a feature on several carriers, though mostly for transportation to regional ports.

As for what subs I was on;

SSN-783, SSN-778, SSN-23 (during an upgrade package assessment) and SSGN-729 (also during an upgrade package assessment.

Did you by any chance take part in the Jr ROTC program in your high school ?

No, the rank system for what I did didn't follow US Military standards. Jr. ROTC was an option for commissioned officers, but since I was on a civilian rank system (G status) - even though I was military, I couldn't be part of ROTC, even during high-school.

I was in contact with Navy recruiters throughout high school, they advised me that Jr. ROTC wouldn't be an option for me if I chose the path I did.

Don't you think its high time we tell @Nihonjin1051 the truth ! :undecided:

That men and earrings don't really go together ! :unsure:

Or do you think it would be rude to point that out ? :(

He is, after all, our Brother ! :kiss3:

Or do you think some tough love is in order ? :what:

To each their own. I carry a purse sometimes... uh, it um, isn't mine though:D.

Back
Top Bottom