What's new

Whatever

me too.
and undertaker is the only and perhaps the last wrestler i still follow.
he didnt make an appearance :mad:

LOL yeah I am probably going to order wrestle mania but I don't really watch the shows, wrestle mania is more like a tradition. :D They recently launched their own network here that my little brothers want me to get but it still has kinks so idk if I wanna go and buy it just yet although it would save a lot of money on pay per views alone.

@p(-)0ENiX Thanks a lot for taking out the time and posting the videos. I really appreciate that :)

You are welcome! :)

If you enjoyed that documentary, then you will like the one on Carthage too. It's essentially the same one that I have seen on YouTube.

Please note that while documentaries are interesting, they tend to focus on the main points of the subject from their own point of view. As such, I would always advise that in order to learn as much as possible, it's best to refer to books & online material too.

Carthage was one of republican Rome's greatest enemy. At this point, Rome isn't an empire, & it won't be an empire till the time of Augustus Caesar; the first Roman emperor. In the past, Phoenicians (generally associated with modern day Lebanon) setup trading colonies throughout North Africa & Carthage happened to be one of them. Later on, when the Phoenicians collapsed, Carthage would be left on her own. They were excellent seafarers & traders, but they weren't that great at warfare. They essentially turned to warfare out of necessity, when the Greeks & Romans were competing for harnessing control over the Mediterranean trade routes. So they managed to adopt the Greek hoplite style of fighting in the phalanx formation. However, Carthaginians continued to rely considerably heavily on mercenaries too, & as far as I am concerned, that's a disadvantage. The problem is that armies containing lots of mercenaries aren't as disciplined as those that Rome turns out, thereby reducing their reliability apart from their other disadvantage of wavering loyalties. The Romans were aware of that. In fact, one of the causes of the downfall in the Western Roman Empire's military prestige was the reliance on Barbarian mercenaries.

An interesting story about the Phoenicians & Greeks is that the continent of Europe is named after a Phoenician woman of noble lineage called "Europa" in Greek mythology. She was eventually seduced by Zeus & brought to the Greek island of Crete. Another fact is that after the collapse of the Indo-European Mycenaean Greek civilization, the region constituting modern Greece went in to its own dark ages. This period was horrific for them because the Greeks lost a lot of their technology & trade routes. As a result of that, they needed a new script to write the Greek language in because the previous one had apparently been lost. That led to the adoption of the Phoenician alphabets from which many modern scripts descend.

Anyway, the founding of Carthage is attributed to Queen Dido who is also known as Elissa. The story presented in this documentary attributes her suicide to her former husband. However, there is an alternative legend to this story, which evolves Aeneas; the hero who fought in the battle of Troy & eventually escaped after its sacking. Aeneas arrives to the North African city of Carthage, meets Queen Dido & recounts to her the fall of Troy. Queen Dido or Elissa falls in love with Aeneas, but he eventually abandons her resulting in her suicide. The interesting point to note here is that Aeneas is the mythological ancestor of Romulus; the legendary founder of Rome.

Gu%C3%A9rin_%C3%89n%C3%A9e_racontant_%C3%A0_Didon_les_malheurs_de_la_ville_de_Troie_Louvre_5184.jpg

Aeneas recounting the Trojan War to Dido, a painting by Pierre-Narcisse Guérin. This scene is taken from Virgil's Aeneid, where Dido falls in love with, only to be left by, the Trojan hero Aeneas.
The story the documentary presents of Queen Dido's death is likely to be more accurate because Romulus & Remus are essentially legendary figures the Romans adopted to connect themselves with the royalty presented in Homer's Iliad. I can't comment on Aeneas's historicity, but even if he existed, the story connecting him with the Carthaginian Queen is probably a later modification. Historically, the earliest inhabitants of ancient Rome were members of the Indo-European tribe called Latins.

Anyway, here is the documentary after a lengthy prelude. :lol: :D I apologize for the low quality, but that's the best I could find on Dailymotion. However, it's still clear enough to be understood.

This documentary praises the Carthaginian general Hannibal a bit too much in my opinion. As mentioned earlier, the Roman army was more professional, but they too were evolving at this point. The Roman army becomes a truly professional force after Gaius Marius's reforms, which occur a significant time after the Punic Wars. The Marian reforms gave the Romans their true military prestige by creating a standing well trained army instead of a citizen militia. Many of the tactics remained the same, but there were undoubtedly improvements too. Among these improvements was the standardization of training & weaponry alongside the introduction of the Aquila (the legion's eagle standard). Consider the Aquila to be somewhat similar to a flag as it was a source of inspiration for the army due to it being a symbol of Rome & her power.

The defeats the Romans' suffered by Hannibal were not because there were some major flaws in the Roman style of fighting, it was because Hannibal was extremely tricky when on the offensive. There were some flaws of course, but they were later corrected by the Romans. Hannibal made excellent use of his elephants & cavalry alongside tactics that lead to the envelopment of the enemy army when setting up traps for them as demonstrated in the Battle of Cannae. His weakness in a pitched battle did not become apparent until he met the great Roman general Scipio Africanus who essentially humiliated him in the Battle of Zama. In the Battle of Zama the Carthaginian elephants were routed because the Roman cavalry were ordered to blow horns, the sound of which frightened the elephants causing them to run amok back towards their own army. Roman skirmishers also played their role in routing the elephants, & this eventually damaged the Carthaginian lines.

Furthermore, the Roman cavalry chased the Carthaginian cavalry to the back of the Carthaginian lines & Hannibal failed to realize in the chaos that if the Roman cavalry wins, they could attack & surround the Carthaginians from the back just as the Romans were surrounded in the Battle of Cannae. The problem with him was that he could not react to Roman tricks in a timely or efficient manner. He was an expert at his own tricks, but if they were countered, his inability to adapt effectively to changing events caused his defeat. The Roman cavalry returned after heavy fighting between the infantry & attacked & surrounded the Carthaginians from the back, which literally annihilated their army. In any case, Rome learnt some important lessons in the Punic Wars. Firstly, she learnt how to command & raise massive armies in a shorter period of time. Secondly, the people themselves learnt how to conduct themselves in a state of emergency, especially when Rome was in danger. The third lesson was that of resilience. Rome simply never gave up & generally chose to fight to the bitter end unless there wasn't any significant threat from the enemy or if conquering those territories wasn't worth the effort. In any case, I hope you enjoy this documentary too.

@Marshmallow & @Alpha1

You two might like this documentary as well.

Last edited:
I've got two as$holes for roommates,I've got unattended exams,lab works,assignments,bank balance running low,crush won't even pick up my call,ukrain is getting attacked,fire on my navy ships,cricket team loosing games-Miserable Me.

I've got two as$holes for roommates,I've got unattended exams,lab works,assignments,bank balance running low,crush won't even pick up my call,ukrain is getting attacked,fire on my navy ships,cricket team loosing games-Miserable Me.
:suicide2::suicide2::girl_cray3::suicide:

apart from two a*holes I dont think you really need to bother about the rest.

Beats me. However, considering that every other American gets the tough treatment on their arrival here(Indians have it more easy in immigration than them).. and that paranoia levels when it comes to the bombs is very high.. so insider info too is never coming or intentionally misleading. No operatives will be looking to search for the bombs via cameras and what not.. A better route to take is Military and government officers on training or those already having done their training within the west. They are a much better source of HUMINT and ideas. However, constant rotation and spies(who are also spied upon by spies who are also spied upon by spies) ensures the most info is outdated or irrelevant.
Still, What I heard on similar unreliable grapevines is unlike the western perception of Nukes in underground bunkers or otherwise.. ours literally lie in plain sight. In my view that is a gamble, because while it makes them inconspicuous.. it also makes anyone spying on them inconspicuous.

As for the Marala Headworks.. I would not give that much weight to any offensive near the Shakargarh bulge.. its literally a plethroa of bunkers, boobies(traps..not the tits) for both inf and mech/armour forces.. Easily activated defenses and is kept under good surveillance while being a stones throw from garrisons and reinforcements. However, that does not mean that a well developed attack will not cross through... In that case, civvies or not.. if the leadership feels its going to have a deep jut into its skin.. the nuklar weapons will fly. Their hope will be for winds blowing east.. I wonder what time of year is that?o_O

Time to invest in a million aerostats with HUGE fans on them pointing forward. Can't come up with anything better at the moment.

But seriously, one would only lower the nuclear threshold to such an extent if one has accepted that conventional parity is now impossible and ergo any attempt towards the same will not provide any meaningful deterrence, its more like what NATO was thinking in the colder days when they looked at the Soviet and Warsaw pact ground forces in Europe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom