What's new

Whatever

The kind of confidence that you have regarding our society is heartening to see. I'd say progress has truly been made when Ladies won't feel scared or afraid to travel in our cities after dark.

This again is funny. Throughout Karnataka and Maharashtra and I assume other Southern states, women moved at all times of day and night freely. When I was a kid, we used to come to Bangalore for school holidays and then go to these late night movies in "tents" nearby. All the crowd would go home at 2, men women children and all. Not a thought in our head about it being unsafe. This is true when people go out at night to see yakshagana and stuff like that.

That is funny. I was 22 before I found out my caste. No one ever asked about it in school. Most kids in Bombay still do not know about it and it does not matter. This was the same when I moved to Bangalore or when I go to Mysore or Mangalore. No one ever asks about caste where ever I go.

Nah. It is a 3-4 month course which I was lucky enough to get free when the industry initially started. They would train you and employ you based on just your English skill.

Nobody bothers in the cities and towns. But villages are still a long way behind when it comes to caste divisions. :(

36? 37? Meh doesnt matter OLD!! :P Damn you are as old as my mom and that other day I was arguing with you.

seriously ??
spank.gif

Nobody bothers in the cities and towns. But villages are still a long way behind when it comes to caste divisions.

It is the same set of people in both places, so it is not really caste divisions. The same upper caste from the village should he come for a day to the city, he eats in a hotel where he does not know who has cooked the food. He travels in the same bus jostling for space without bothering about caste. Then he goes back to his village and behaves in his old ways. But it is not the same caste discrimination of old. The dynamics are different.

This again is funny. Throughout Karnataka and Maharashtra and I assume other Southern states, women moved at all times of day and night freely. When I was a kid, we used to come to Bangalore for school holidays and then go to these late night movies in "tents" nearby. All the crowd would go home at 2, men women children and all. Not a thought in our head about it being unsafe. This is true when people go out at night to see yakshagana and stuff like that.

That's the paradox Madam. Since everyone knows each other in villages, girls are relatively safer at night there. But cities are notoriously unsafe for Women. You're the first daredevil lady I've met who has no problems moving in Bangalore alone at night! :tup:

It is the same set of people in both places, so it is not really caste divisions. The same upper caste from the village should he come for a day to the city, he eats in a hotel where he does not know who has cooked the food. He travels in the same bus jostling for space without bothering about caste. Then he goes back to his village and behaves in his old ways. But it is not the same caste discrimination of old. The dynamics are different.

That's because he's a nobody in a city. His identity matters little to those around him. But back in his village, he's a somebody, and most others likely know his family legacy too.

This seeming nonchalance about one's birth credentials is not seen in villages, the way it is in cities. Remove that, and we're good.

That's the paradox Madam. Since everyone knows each other in villages, girls are relatively safer at night there. But cities are notoriously unsafe for Women. You're the first daredevil lady I've met who has no problems moving in Bangalore alone at night!

Nah most likely you have some strange notions of what Bangalore is from the movies perhaps. When I used to come to Bangalore as a kid, it was not a village. My doddamma and my mom were so crazy of movies, every other night they would go to see a Tamil or a Kannada movie. There are so many women working nightshift that it does not raise an eyebrow anywhere. Every other house has a girl coming home at 3 or 4 in the morning. This is true of Bombay too. Now that I work from home, I generally step out at night to let my dog run loose on the streets (no traffic) and I do not have a worry in my head.

That's because he's a nobody in a city. His identity matters little to those around him. But back in his village, he's a somebody, and most others likely know his family legacy too.
This seeming nonchalance about one's birth credentials is not seen in villages, the way it is in cities. Remove that, and we're good.

See the difference here is earlier the looking down on the lower caste was something like gut feeling, it was cultured and instinctive feeling of superiority. That is no more there. Now it is mostly about superficial social standing preservation.

This is the same with racism charges on Indians. Racism in USA meant such contempt for the black that it would not matter to the white whether the black died or lived. In fact the white would be more than happy to actively participate in exacerbating the black's misery. In comparison in India calling someone chikna, kalla, gora, chinki does not come with the same vitriol or hatred, it is just a matter of communication and some harmless slang.

Last edited:
See the difference here is earlier the looking down on the lower caste was something like gut feeling, it was cultured and instinctive feeling of superiority. That is no more there. Now it is mostly about superficial social standing preservation.

The feeling is from the other side as well. When I first came to city school in West Delhi from my village( near IGI) the kids used to make fun of me as well. They used to call me names that I didnt know what they meant. They called me "Challa" I was like wtf does that even mean I asked my mom and she said it means like fool or stupid and I was like :(

Back
Top Bottom