What's new

What do you think of cousin marriages ?

There is a new type of virus found in young generation of Pakistan....called liberalism and they don't know what it means...according to them anything we inherit from Islamic culture / teaching is old fashioned and cruelty.
Bachey ka pamper abhi utra nahien aor batyen asmaanoun ki.
Bhai islamic culture bhi chorain islam nay aisa kuch khaas nahi kaha kay zarur karo cousin say shadi ya na karo, islam nay ijazat dee hai aur jahan ghalat hai wahan prohibit kiya hai. Agar cousin marriage itni ghalat hoti tau mana kar dee jati. When mankind started people started out with marrying their sisters and brothers , when population had increased significantly all those practices were banned by subsequent shariahs that were brought by different prophets. Islam brought finality if cousin marriage was so hazardous sort of thing it would have been banned right away too.

Jo cheezain ghalat theen they were clealry delineated. Like for instance a woman who consentually sleeps with a man whether inside a marriage or outside a marriage is not allowed to marry that mans son. Same goes for a man too. So lines have clearly been drawn where its necessary . Plus i dont get this attitude from west u can go sleep with anyone any cousin but only that u cant marry them. What kind of crap is that?

And lets say some ppl have issues with cousin marriage then dont carry them out urselves ,focus on ur own families and kids.
I am so shocked here cause majority cousin marriages i know in new generation are love marriages so i am not getting the fuss.

And indians who are gloating here, firstly they should go and check ploygamy practices in himachel pradesh where a single woman is married to 5-6 brothers at a time

Please shut up. Your points make no sense to me. I am entitled to my opinion and I’m not endorsing it on others. It would be appreciated if people stop enforcing their views on me. I simply responded to a thread. End of.
No one can give me a shut up call on a public forum and whenever I like i would reply.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/03/h...o-discourage-cousin-marriage-study-finds.html

No Genetic Reason to Discourage Cousin Marriage, Study Finds
Contrary to widely held beliefs and longstanding taboos in America, first cousins can safely have children together, without a great risk of birth defects or genetic disease, scientists are reporting today. They say there is no biological reason to discourage cousins from marrying.

First cousins are somewhat more likely than unrelated parents to have a child with a serious birth defect, but scientists say the risk is not large. In the general population, the risk that a child will be born with a major birth defect, like spina fida, is 3 to 4 percent; to that background risk, first cousins must add another 1.7 to 2.8 percentage points, the researchers said.

Although the increase represents almost a doubling of the risk, since the background risk is small to begin with, the result is still not considered large enough to discourage people from having children, geneticists say. And they point out that no one questions the right of other people with far higher levels of risk to have children. For example, people with Huntington's disease, a severe neurological disorder, have a 50 percent chance of passing the disease to their children.

The researchers, convened by the National Society of Genetic Counselors, based their conclusions on a review of six major studies conducted from 1965 to August 2000, involving many thousands of births.

For first cousins, "there is a slightly increased risk, but in terms of general risks in life it's not very high," said Dr. Arno Motulsky, a professor emeritus of medicine and genome sciences at the University of Washington, and the senior author of the report, being published today in The Journal of Genetic Counseling.

Continue reading the main story

Dr. Motulsky said that medical geneticists had known for a long time that there was little or no harm in cousins' marrying and having children.

"Somehow, this hasn't become general knowledge," Dr. Motulsky said. "Among the public and physicians there's a feeling it's real bad and brings a lot of disease, and there's a lot of social and legal disapproval."

Thirty states have laws forbidding first cousins to marry, but no countries in Europe have such prohibitions, and in parts of the Middle East, Africa and Asia, marriages between cousins are considered preferable. "In some parts of the world," the report says, "20 to 60 percent of all marriages are between close biological relatives."

Dr. Motulsky said the American laws against cousin marriage should be abolished, because they are based in part on the mistaken belief that the children of such parents will suffer from terrible physical and mental illnesses.

"They are ancient laws in terms of thinking it's really bad," he said. "The data show it isn't that bad. There shouldn't be a law that you can't marry your cousin."

The article says, "Romantic relationships between cousins are not infrequent in the United States and Canada." But many cousins who marry or live together keep their family ties a secret because of the stigma, so the frequency of such unions is not known. Estimates of marriages between related people, which include first cousins and more distant ones, range from less than 0.1 percent of the general population to 1.5 percent. In the past, small studies have found much higher rates in some areas: a survey in 1942 found 18.7 percent in a small town in Kentucky, and a 1980 study found 33 percent in a Mennonite community in Kansas.

The report made a point of saying that the term "incest" should not be applied to cousins, but only to sexual relations between siblings or between parents and children. Babies who result from those unions are thought to be at significantly higher risk of genetic problems, the report said, but there is not enough data to be sure.

The new report says genetic counselors should advise cousins who want to have children together in much the same way they advise everybody else, and that no extra genetic tests are required before conception. The guidelines urge counselors to take a thorough family history and, as they do for all patients, look for any inherited diseases that might run in the family or in the patients' ethnic group, and order tests accordingly. During pregnancy, the woman should have the standard blood tests used to screen for certain neurological problems and other disorders, and an ultrasound exam.

As a newborn, the baby should be tested for deafness and certain metabolic diseases — tests already given to all newborns in some parts of the country — which are among the conditions that may be slightly more likely to occur in children whose parents are cousins. Some of the metabolic problems are treatable, and children with hearing losses do better if they get help early in life.

Dr. Motulsky said the panel of experts began working on the cousin question about two years ago after a survey of counselors found a lot of variability — and misinformation — in the advice given to people who wanted to know whether cousins could safely have children together.

The president-elect of the counselors' group, Robin L. Bennett, who is a co-author of the report and a genetic counselor at the University of Washington, said: "Just this week I saw a 23-year-old woman whose parents were cousins, and she was told to have a tubal ligation, which she did at the age 21, because of the risk to her children. And there's no risk to her children. People are getting this information from small-town doctors who may not know the risk, don't have access to this information and just assume it's a big risk."

The young woman hoped to have the operation reversed, Ms. Bennett said.

The geneticists' article includes a personal account from a woman who said she had lived with her cousin for six years, "and we are madly in love." When she became pregnant, her gynecologist warned that the child would be sickly, and urged her to have an abortion. A relative predicted that the baby would be retarded. Describing herself as heartbroken, the woman had the abortion, which she called "the worst mistake of my life."

When she learned later that the increased risk of birth defects was actually quite small, "I cried and cried," she said.

The small increase in risk is thought to occur because related people may be carrying some of the same disease-causing genes, inherited from common ancestors. The problems arise from recessive genes, which have no effect on people who carry single copies, but can cause disease in a person who inherits two copies of the gene, one from each parent. When two carriers of a recessive gene have a child, the child has a 1 in 4 chance of inheriting two copies of that gene. When that happens, disease can result. Cystic fibrosis and Tay-Sachs disease, for example, are caused by recessive genes.

First cousins share 12.5 percent of their genes, and 6.25 percent of their children's genes will consist of pairs in which identical copies have been inherited from the two parents. Some of those identical pairs may be recessive genes that cause illness. Unrelated people share fewer genes, and so their risk of illness caused by recessive genes is a bit lower.

Keith T., a 30 year-old-man, married his cousin seven year ago. In 1998, frustrated by the lack of information for cousins who wanted to marry, he started a Web site, cousincouples.com. Thousands of people have visited the site, he said. It is full of postings from people who have married their cousins or want to, and it highlights famous people who married their first cousins, including Charles Darwin, who, with Emma Wedgwood, had 10 children, all healthy, some brilliant.

Mr. T. asked that his name not be used, because he does business in a small town and fears that he will lose customers if they find out that his wife is also his cousin.

"If someone told me when I was young that I'd marry my cousin I would have said they were crazy," he said. "I thought the idea of marrying your cousin was kind of icky."

But then, as a teenager, he got to know a cousin whom he had hardly seen in childhood, and they fell in love.

Their families, he said, were in "total shock." Relatives said, " `They'll throw you in jail, you'll have defective children,' " Mr. T. recalled. "Those were some of the nicer things they said." When he and his cousin married, they invited only three people to the wedding. They hope to make up for that someday by having a "huge wedding," he said.

Mr. T. said he had read everything he could find about cousin marriages, including an entire book on the subject, "Forbidden Relatives," by Martin Ottenheimer, a professor of anthropology at Kansas State University. The subtitle of the book is "The American Myth of Cousin Marriage," and Dr. Ottenheimer heaps criticism on the state marriage laws.

Mr. T. said he was delighted to learn years ago that cousins' risks of birth defects were only slightly higher than those of unrelated people. So the study being published today did not surprise him. But he said he hoped it would convince the rest of the world.

"You can find people in the general population who have a greater risk than first cousins," he said. "It's one of my pet peeves. State laws single out cousins. They shouldn't." He and his wife hope to have children, he said.
Thank u for sharing i need sometime to go through entire link.

No one can give me a shut up call on a public forum and whenever I like i would reply.....

You’ll get it with me if you continue distorting my main point. My opinion is MINE. You’re entitled to YOURS. I don’t have an issue with that so quit having a fit

Not a fan of it
You have a high chance of child abnormalities but who am i to judge if both parties are ok with it

Brahmins are humans and no human being is eternal. It had begining and will have end.

We have a limitation of tracing the history. If something exist since we could trace the history, in loose sane we can call it eternal. Vedas are oldest text on this planet. It has a reference to Brahmins.

In bottom line anyone who does not want cousin marriage stay away form it who cares , but ihave seen some guys here proposng a ban on it imean like who the Eff are you to ask for a ban? Like go worry about ur own lives its not that others kids are going to be born out of ur body that u need to interfere in others lives.
Plus i am yet to find some statistics.

My view on cousin marriage is that it's a disgusting relic from less civilized times, I even go as far as considering it a form of 'soft incest'. With that being said though, I'm all for letting people do whatever they want with their lives as long as it involves two (or more) consenting adults. By the same logic, I also support gay marriage and LGBTQ rights. Just live and let live.

Try to view these things like it's pineapple pizza. I don't know who in their right mind would put pineapple on a pizza but turns out some people actually like that stuff. Don't like pineapple pizza? don't get one.. simple

Last edited:
Does Islam encourage cousin marriages or just allow it?

One of my friend just got married to his first cousin.....his parents are also first cousins...he has four siblings and two are born with disabilities. He is shit scared and so he should be.

Going through the thread one can assume that some members actually believe that this issue is related to Islam rather than just being a pure Pakistani cultural phenomenon.

One of my friend just got married to his first cousin.....his parents are also first cousins...he has four siblings and two are born with disabilities. He is shit scared and so he should be.

Going through the thread one can assume that some members actually believe that this issue is related to Islam rather than just being a pure Pakistani cultural phenomenon.
Its not a matter of encouragement not discouragement from islam. Its a matter of being allowed, if islam allows u and u wish to marry a cousin , then why not? If u find a better partner in a cousin then why not go for it?

I can cite one example too against it, one of my uncles got married to first cousin, he only had a single child from that marriage who died two three months after brith and reason was NOT AT ALL related to cousin marriage, baby had contracted some virus .

Then he failed to have more kids from same marriage and was generally not happy in that marriage. He remarried someone totally out of family , from his second wife he had a kid but next time he again had a baby who passed away soon after birth. The first baby from first wife who died was born healthy had contracted some virus, the second baby from the non cousin marriage was born dead but doctors had said had the baby survived he would have been a special child.

My view on cousin marriage is that it's a disgusting relic from less civilized times, I even go as far as considering it a form of 'soft incest'. With that being said though, I'm all for letting people do whatever they want with their lives as long as it involves two (or more) consenting adults. By the same logic, I also support gay marriage and LGBTQ rights. Just live and let live.

Try to view these things like it's pineapple pizza. I don't know who in their right mind would put pineapple on a pizza but turns out some people actually like that stuff. Don't like pineapple pizza? don't get one.. simple
Ok i really dont know what makes one think that cousin marriages are disgusting, i mean they re cousins not some siblings. Its not any form of incest, u dont share a direct blood bond with them as u do with ur siblings or parents. people are okay with sick as shytt gay marriages will wear rainbow filter photos to support them but will come here and mouth off cousin marriages.

Well i have not seen a single abnormal case in cousin marriages but i will not deny that few cases exist. Its again optional thing. Its not that Muslims must go for cousin marriages if they have some fear or signs of any kind of abnormalities or genetic disorder in family line that could be transfer to children born in such marriages but cousin marriages are as valid as non cousin marriages. I quoted from Islamic sources because people were calling this as sick and disgusting thing.

How could a Muslim say such thing when Quran make it permissible for Muslims and clearly define what is Mahram or namharm and even daughter of our beloved Prophet (PBUH) went for such marriage . Is our wisdom greater than God? We are invalidating all such cousin marriages existed among previous generation of Muslims including our own parent or grand parent if they opted cousin marriages. Marriage is a religious thing not cultural so nikkah between two cousin is valid as per Islamic ruling thats why Pakistani Muslims went for it and have nothing to do with culture and if some Muslims are not comfortable with it then they are also free to marry elsewhere

The Quran doesn't say anything about it.

The Hadith encourages you to marry as far as possible from your current tribe.

So what do you think of it ? bad genes?, inbred? disease? lower iq? smaller height? Pakistan should they introduce law and testing.

I vaguely remember reading that iran has introduced a program where you can do a test to find out if you and partner are to have healthy baby or not. I forgotten the name of this program. Anyone that knows could you please help.

From my observation most cousin marriages have children with eczema and slow motor skills. They fall ill easily, and have weak immune system.

Cousin marriage is the most shameful lazy tradition that has plagued this region and the muslim nation in particular.

Rooted and started from the deeply tribal societies of Arabia, the tradition of cousin marriage has led to
massively impaired gene pool, and well
retards !

All efforts must be made, to stop, discourage and shame people who do this

There are apparently some Hadith discouraging cousin marriages but their authenticity is considered "weak" by many scholars.

“Do not marry within the family [i.e., cousins], as that leads to children that are thin and weak.”
"Marry outside the family, lest the offspring be thin and weak.” [Ibn Hajar, Talkhis al-Habir]"

Many Islamic school of thoughts have also discouraged cousin marriages.
There is also an example where an entire clan of a sahabi had such issues and Prophet PBUH told them to marry outside... As it's not compulsory to marry your cousins but merely permitted. Not encouraged.

back stick women you mean skinny back women. It okay i need light women that i can carry everywhere.
Sound like a perverted serial killer..

Cousin marriage is the most shameful lazy tradition that has plagued this region and the muslim nation in particular.
Shameful lazy tradition , so prophet had married his cousin zainab u think prophet engaged in a shameful,lazy tradition?
And no there is no hadees that tells one to marry into distant tribes, its totally left upto ppl whether they marry close ones or distant ones.

On one hand we have prophet marrying his cousin on the other u are mentioning hadees about distant tribes.

Nothing is prohibited people here are making cousin marriages look like its a haram act. I dont know if there is a hadees that encourages one to marry cousins or among relatives but i do know neither hadess nor quran stops one from doing so nor they have conisdered them as any disliked acts.

Last edited:
Well i have not seen a single abnormal case in cousin marriages but i will not deny that few cases exist. Its again optional thing. Its not that Muslims must go for cousin marriages if they have some fear or signs of any kind of abnormalities or genetic disorder in family line that could be transfer to children born in such marriages but cousin marriages are as valid as non cousin marriages. I quoted from Islamic sources because people were calling this as sick and disgusting thing.

How could a Muslim say such thing when Quran make it permissible for Muslims and clearly define what is Mahram or namharm and even daughter of our beloved Prophet (PBUH) went for such marriage . Is our wisdom greater than God? We are invalidating all such cousin marriages existed among previous generation of Muslims including our own parent or grand parent if they opted cousin marriages. Marriage is a religious thing not cultural so nikkah between two cousin is valid as per Islamic ruling thats why Pakistani Muslims went for it and have nothing to do with culture and if some Muslims are not comfortable with it then they are also free to marry elsewhere

Its not sick and disgusting but their is definite co-relation between increased probability of defective child birth and continued inter-cousin marriages.

Yes, it is allowed but the concept of not allowing children marry outside is highly tribal (at least in our culture), which definitely is against the universal outlook of Islam.

The two most practising societies of this concept are Pakistanis and Afghans, two highly tribal and not necessarily model societies when it comes to practising Islam.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom