What's new

Pakistan: Cousin marriages create high risk of genetic disorders

Here in UK, a Hospital in Bradford is a world leader in rare certain genetic defects caused by first cousin marriages,
Why? because a huge number of Pakistanis live in Bradford and they mainly come from areas in Pak that practice cousin marriages.
This gives the hospital far more experience with these genetic conditions than any other hospital in Europe.

The parents of kids with genetic issues, who are first cousin's, are left destroyed by this and wish they knew before,
The will never allow their kids to marry first cousins. We need to leave this habit in the past and move on.

Last edited:
its a cultural thing in South Asia. Eventually it will come down. I dont think it will be down to 0%.
Cousin marriages aren't much of a thing if at all in India and Bangladesh, throughout South Asia this sick tradition has exclusively been practiced and kept in Pakistan only.

Kabulis and the people up north and west like Tajiks and Uzbeks and Hazaras don't do cousin marriage. Tribalism runs deep in Pashtuns.
I'm assuming the Kandaharis and the Afghans from more backwater areas tend to marry their cousins more? because Kabulis in no way come close to representing the average Afghan yet are the most outspoken. I remember reading somewhere that half of Afghans were inbred but it doesn't seem to be nearly as much of a deep rooted tradition back there.

Science. Observe what happens. Codify observations as data. Hypothesize cause and effect rules that explain the data. Observe again, confirm or discredit hypothesis. Cultures and religions which cannot accommodate the scientific approach to understanding the natural world are very, very much less successful in adapting to our natural world than cultures which embrace science. Pakistanis in the United States, as a group, are hugely more successful in their personal lives than are Pakistanis, as a group, in Pakistan. Why? The freedom to use the scientific method, i.e., rationality, to make their career and personal decisions. Cousin marriage is just one of dozens of negative consequences of a Pakistani culture, be it tribal or Islamic, that is, at its root, irrational in the face of physical, natural world reality. Science is the only reason the "West" (and China) is more prosperous than Pakistan.

Jews marry first cousins but no one accuses them for being retards. Einstein and Darwin married their first cousins. Marrying first cousins is not a problem as long as it is not made a tradition. I know couples including my paternal grandfather and grandmother who are first cousins, no genetic problems.

Yeah, but my parents are waiting for my education in my career choice to be finished.

Then I will get married maybe by 36, 37, or 38.
Don't leave it that late. Half your life will have passed away chasing money and status.

You will be closer to a grandfather to your kids than a father. Have children early whilst you are young enough to play with them, to challenge them when they enter thier youth, young enough to be relevant to them when they need your guidance.

Cousin marriages aren't much of a thing if at all in India and Bangladesh, throughout South Asia this sick tradition has exclusively been practiced and kept in Pakistan only.
I can speak for Bangladesh: while no longer widespread, cousin marriages still happen in Bangladesh.

I hope this is a joke

That is solid advice. Our society does not develop young people quick enough. Men in thier early 20s are financially unstable, mentally immature, emotionally immature. They need to be further developed at this age so that they can match thier physical maturity and get married early.

Back
Top Bottom