What's new

What do we love about Pakistan and India?

I love my ancestral home of Khujwa in Bihar. I love Ranchi where my father was born, Patna where my maternal side of the family eventually moved to (from Khujwa) after 1947 and where my mother was born & grew up. Lucknow, the great historic city where my extended family still lives. I love Urdu poetry from Lucknow, I love listening to Mushairas & Shair o Shairee. I love the Muslim culture/history found in North India, even though I'm not very religious myself. It saddens me that the cradle of Muslim civilization & grandeur 'UP' has become an ultimate Muslim ghetto, & the f*lth in Agra was heart wrenching considering the fact that the Taj Mahal is one of the greatest symbols of love & purity. I was struck with a 'familiar sadness' when I visited Khujwa and Ranchi the first time in 2002. Bihar seemed so close to my heart then, but all so far. I love speaking to my grandparents in Bhojpuri, my mother tongue.

Overall, I love India for its extreme diversity, culture(s) & amazing history. It is indeed a continent than a country, where you will find people from all over the world.

Wao!... I too Love Ranchi coz' It's my hometown...

What I love about both country is... we can understand... Hindi ... as well as urdu...

Pakistan

Amid all the choas, Pakistanis have remained calm and resolute

- Hospitality of the people
- Warmth of the kids when they see a foreign visitor
- My Afghan dvd seller, seriously this guy is an absolute gem, brings excellent quality dvd movies from Karachi into our small town
- The beauty of the North truly unmatched wherever i have gone in the world
- The food - personally find Pakistan cuisine to be unmatched
- The beauty and innocence of the women
- Miss climding the roof of our house in order to sit on the water tank hoping to get reception on my phone LOOL

I'm sure i've missed plenty out but those are ones that i can remember.

India
- Means nothing to me and never will.

I like the history - forts, battles, wars, remnants of the British Raj etc. I freaking hate people spitting on the roads. Nothing riles me more.

I love Pakistanis for their eternal optimism, their generous hearts, their ultimate hospitality, their firm determination. I love the fact that they developed Pakistan from an 'Afghanistan-like state'/Stone Age in 1947 to one of the most important nations of the world. Despite having 1/7th of India's population, and about 1/5th of India's land; it still is able to hold its own against hostile neighbors.

Some achievements of Pakistan:

1) 27th largest economy in the world in terms of GDP (PPP)
2) 2nd Largest Dam, and the world's largest earth filled dam (Tarbela Dam)
3) 6th Largest Army
4) 1st Muslim and 7th Nuclear Power of World
5) One of the best irrigation systems in the world.
6) Strongest Muslim army
7) World’s highest Polo ground at Shandur, Northern Pakistan.
8) Karakoram Highway : 8th Wonder of the World.
9) World’s Largest Deep Sea Port : Gwader.
10) Pakistan: World’s 9th Largest English Speaking Country.
11) Pakistan: World 7th largest Pool of Scientists and Engineers.
12) World’s youngest certified Microsoft Experts Arfa Kareem and Babar Iqbal.
13) Pakistan: World’s largest CNG Operator.
14) Pakistan: Only Muslim country after Turkey to open Combat Jobs for women.
15) Pakistan: Highest Tele Density in South Asia.
16) Pakistan: Largest WiiMax Network in the World, over 30 million internet users.
17) World’s largest run ambulance network by Edhi.
18) The 'Mecca' for Sikhism and Buddhism.

Pakistan has everything in terms of nature as well:

1) 5th Largest Gold Mine
2) 5th Largest Coal reserves
3) 7th Largest Copper mine
4) 7th Largest Rice Producer
5) 8th Largest Wheat Producer
6) Khewra Mines : 2nd Largest Salt Mine in the World.
7) Haleji Lake : Asia’s largest Bird Sanctuary.
8) Thar Desert : One amongst the largest deserts in the World.
9) The land of oldest Civilization : Indus Valley and Mohenjo-Daro.
10) Pakistan the land of grand mountain ranges, a land that holds 4 out of 14 most highest peaks in the world. K2 the second highest mountain in the world with all it’s grandeur symbolizing the pride and strength of the people of Pakistan.
11) Pakistan: K2 the 2nd highest mountain peak in the World.
12) Baltaro glacier: biggest glacier in the world

I love Pakistanis for their eternal optimism, their generous hearts, their ultimate hospitality, their firm determination. I love the fact that they developed Pakistan from an 'Afghanistan-like state'/Stone Age in 1947 to one of the most important nations of the world. Despite having 1/7th of India's population, and about 1/5th of India's land; it still is able to hold its own against hostile neighbors.

Some achievements of Pakistan:

1) 27th largest economy in the world in terms of GDP (PPP)
2) 2nd Largest Dam, and the world's largest earth filled dam (Tarbela Dam)
3) 6th Largest Army
4) 1st Muslim and 7th Nuclear Power of World
5) One of the best irrigation systems in the world.
6) Strongest Muslim army
7) World’s highest Polo ground at Shandur, Northern Pakistan.
8) Karakoram Highway : 8th Wonder of the World.
9) World’s Largest Deep Sea Port : Gwader.
10) Pakistan: World’s 9th Largest English Speaking Country.
11) Pakistan: World 7th largest Pool of Scientists and Engineers.
12) World’s youngest certified Microsoft Experts Arfa Kareem and Babar Iqbal.
13) Pakistan: World’s largest CNG Operator.
14) Pakistan: Only Muslim country after Turkey to open Combat Jobs for women.
15) Pakistan: Highest Tele Density in South Asia.
16) Pakistan: Largest WiiMax Network in the World, over 30 million internet users.
17) World’s largest run ambulance network by Edhi.
18) The 'Mecca' for Sikhism and Buddhism.

Buddhism too? I think that is Bodhgaya in Bihar and if birthplace is taken into account then Lumbini in Nepal.

Buddhism too? I think that is Bodhgaya in Bihar and if birthplace is taken into account then Lumbini in Nepal.

Buddhism in Pakistan:

The region that is today known as Pakistan once had a large Buddhist population, with the majority of people in Gandhara (present day North Western Pakistan and Eastern Afghanistan) being Buddhist. Gandhara was largely Mahayana Buddhist, and was also a stronghold of Vajrayana Buddhism. The Swat Valley, known in antiquity as Uddiyana, was a kingdom tributary to Gandhara. There are many archaeological sites from the Buddhist era in Swat.

The Buddhist sage Padmasambhava is said to have been born in a village near the present day town of Chakdara in Lower Dir District, which was then a part of Uddiyana. Padmasambhava is known as Guru Rinpoche in Tibetan and it is he who introduced Vajrayana Buddhism in Tibet.

Buddhism was also practiced in the Punjab and Sindh regions.

Gandhara remained a largely Buddhist land until around 800 AD, when the Pashtun people invaded the region from Southern Afghanistan and introduced the Islamic religion.

Most Buddhists in Punjab reverted to Hinduism from 600 AD onwards. Buddhism was the faith practiced by the majority of the population of Sindh up to the Arab conquest by the Umayad Caliphate in 710 AD.

Buddhism in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India - Resources. (Major)

Thorium (world's largest).
Coal (third-largest reserves in the world)
Iron ore
Manganese
Mica
Bauxite
Titanium ore
Chromite
Natural gas
Diamonds
Petroleum
Limestone

Also, much of the area in which Hinduism originated is now in Pakistan.

Also, much of the area in which Hinduism originated is now in Pakistan.

And are there any Buddhists left in Pakistan? I know there is a small Sikh and Hindu community but what about Buddhists?

Buddhists Celebrate Vesak (Pakistan)
May 24, 2005
By Staff Writer
The International News
On May 24, 2005 The International News reported, "The Buddhist community celebrated ‘Vesak,’ festival of the full moon, known as the ‘Asian Festival of Lights,’ at the Buddhist Cultural Centre in Islamabad. The celebration was attended by the president of the All Pakistan Buddhist Association, Raja Tridev Roy; the high commissioners of Sri Lanka and Bangladesh; the ambassadors of Burma and Nepal; the DHC, Indian high commission; Chairman, Universal Interfaith Peace Mission, Allama Abdulfateh Chisti and a couple of priests from the Christian faith besides a number of other personalities and some members of the Buddhist Community, including children. The centre had been decorated with colourful lights and bunting in keeping with the celebration, which commemorates the birth, the enlightenment and the passing away of Lord Buddha."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom