What's new

What are turkic origin words used in everyday urdu or other pakistani languages?

=
Chater. (roof)
Tamam. (All)
Ayena. ( Mirror)
Jaam. (Glass)
Dewar. ( wall)
Baba. (Dad)
Dada. (Grandad)
Darya. (River)
Siah. (Black)
Sabz. (Green)

List is Endless
all persian words except tamam , dada .

and its Divar BTW .

darya means ocean .

persian , persian .

interestingly , most of the words used here in this thread are all persian .

some of these words are used in turkic language too , which is a cause for confusion .

Sahil = sea coast or sea as beach
sahel = beach and is a persian word .
samandar = salamander in eng. thus the word u r talking abt is not persian
Gul = flower
again , persian .

its interesting that iranian ppl can learn urdu in less than a month i think :lol:

Last edited:
=

and its Divar BTW .

darya means ocean .

persian , persian .

some of these words are used in turkic language too , which is a cause for confusion .

again , persian .

its interesting that iranian ppl can learn urdu in less than a month i think :lol:

Sahil is Arabic.

U
Most of the words in this thread are either arabic and/ or persian words.
Don't forget that turkic languages borrowed huge amount of arabic and persian words also. So the similarity between urdu and turkish words are in reality persian and arabic words which is used in both languages (urdu and turkish).

But I think urdu word for black is "Kala" and turkish word for black is "Kara".
That sounds similar.
Word fort black in Tamil is karuppu

=

and its Divar BTW .

darya means ocean .

persian , persian .

again , persian .

Urdu is heavily influenced by Old Farsi language. Our pronunciations of the Farsi words are closer to Afghan " Dari " pronunciations rather than modern Iranian Farsi.

I can't claim to know Farsi, yet when I read the Poetry of Saadi, Rumi and Omar Khayyam , I can understand most of it because of familiar Farsi words that are part of Urdu.

Also just as Urdu is heavily influenced by Farsi and Arabic, Farsi itself is heavily influenced by Arabic because of the influence of Islam in Iran.

again , persian .
its interesting that iranian ppl can learn urdu in less than a month i think

Persian is the easiest to learn for Urdu Speakers.

I have made an observation that Turkic people absorbed a lot of Persian language and culture. As for Urdu having Turkish words then yes Urdu is hardly related to Turkish. Only the name itself has Turkish origins other then that Urdu is mostly made up of Sanskrit grammar and many borrowed words from Arabic and Persian. Turkish is in the Altaic group of languages where as Urdu is grouped along Indo-European languages.

Sahil is Arabic.
my bad , you're right

here is a dic for all the foreign words in farsi

زبان و ادبیات فارسی - 10 - واژه نامه ی بیگانه - فارسی

when i first checked it , i missed sahil

Urdu is heavily influenced by Old Farsi language. Our pronunciations of the Farsi words are closer to Afghan " Dari " pronunciations rather than modern Iranian Farsi.

I can't claim to know Farsi, yet when I read the Poetry of Saadi, Rumi and Omar Khayyam , I can understand most of it because of familiar Farsi words that are part of Urdu.

Also just as Urdu is heavily influenced by Farsi and Arabic, Farsi itself is heavily influenced by Arabic because of the influence of Islam in Iran.
Persian is the easiest to learn for Urdu Speakers.

I have made an observation that Turkic people absorbed a lot of Persian language and culture. As for Urdu having Turkish words then yes Urdu is hardly related to Turkish. Only the name itself has Turkish origins other then that Urdu is mostly made up of Sanskrit grammar and many borrowed words from Arabic and Persian. Turkish is in the Altaic group of languages where as Urdu is grouped along Indo-European languages.
TBH , i can understand nothing from romanized urdu , but the normal urdu is 30-40 % understandable .

i really dont think it would take more than 2 month to completely learn urdu for a persian speaker .

these similarities are the reason behind the closeness of culture and hearts .

Last edited:
my bad , you're right

here is a dic for all the foreign words in farsi

زبان و ادبیات فارسی - 10 - واژه نامه ی بیگانه - فارسی

when i first checked it , i missed sahil

TBH , i can understand nothing from romanized urdu , but the normal urdu is 30-40 % understandable .

i really dont think it would take more than 2 month to completely learn urdu for a persian speaker .

I agree with you. Our ties with the Arab World is because of Islam and Arabic ( being the language of Quran).

But our ties with Iran is equally deep if not more, because of our strong Historical, Cultural and Linguistic connection with Iran.

Personally I don't like romanised Urdu either. And I have learnt a bit of Persian both Iranian dialect and the Dari spoken in Afghanistan. I found Dari more easier to learn as compared to Persian spoken in Iran.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom