What's new

What are turkic origin words used in everyday urdu or other pakistani languages?

Wish it was English :D so how many foreign words are in Persian ? and how much Turkic words are there ? I remember coming across to some words before.
yes there are some words of turkic roots in farsi but you might be shocked to know english language has a heck lot of words with persian roots in it :D

the only two languages who had influenced farsi more than farsi on them , are arabic and english .

ppl try to use abbreviations and ease up their language , and thats the sole reason behind this .

turkish words like batlaagh , chapavol , bosh ghab :D

and a lot more words come from beautiful turkish language .

Historical
bro we were hamvatan (هم وطن) for hundreds of years :D

i think that says enough on history :D

yes there are some words of turkic roots in farsi but you might be shocked to know english language has a heck lot of words with persian roots in it :D

the only two languages who had influenced farsi more than farsi on them , are arabic and english .

ppl try to use abbreviations and ease up their language , and thats the sole reason behind this .

turkish words like batlaagh , chapavol , bosh ghab :D

and a lot more words come from beautiful turkish language .

bro we were hamvatan (هم وطن) for hundreds of years :D

i think that says enough on history :D

I remember Ghormeh and Kishlak as well :D

In both languages, some of the foreign words are entered with cultural interaction, while many foreign words entered because they're used by high class which gradually effects simple folk since they're government officials. In Turkish there are many words with Turkic and Arabic and Persian equivalent, because even though there was a Turkic word for it, high class brought a foreign word too, depends on period and person it could be Arabic, Persian, French , later English etc. , We got a lot of French words in late Ottoman era, in thousands may be.

pakistan turkey and iranian can have threesome together

:kiss3: lets make some new language, last time we made love, there was not much time to have a shared heritage, you can bring turlish delight, sheesha and we will bring some nice things as well and have huge party

Last edited:
Personally I don't like romanised Urdu either. And I have learnt a bit of Persian both Iranian dialect and the Dari spoken in Afghanistan. I found Dari more easier to learn as compared to Persian spoken in Iran.

That is because Dari is actually the older Persian that must have found its way into the subcontinent while Farsi continued to evolve further hence it is harder to learn for Pakistanis. Pakistani schools used to teach Farsi but it was the one spoken by Afghans and idk if do anymore.

That is because Dari is actually the older Persian that must have found its way into the subcontinent while Farsi continued to evolve further hence it is harder to learn for Pakistanis. Pakistani schools used to teach Farsi but it was the one spoken by Afghans and idk if do anymore.

Yeah they used to teach farsi during 1960s. My father and all of my uncles can understand basic farsi. I don't know what year they stopped it and swapped it for Arabic. They should have just made Arabic and farsi both options for high schools like we have here in UK. You can choose another language from year 10 usually the options are French, German, Spanish and Urdu.

What i don't understand is how most of Iqbal poetry was in Persian/farsi. did local people understood Persian during his time?

What i don't understand is how most of Iqbal poetry was in Persian/farsi. did local people understood Persian during his time?

Yes educated people were able to understand his poetry in persian/farsi as persian/farsi was taught in all schools, colleges and universities in British times.

Yes educated people were able to understand his poetry in persian/farsi as persian/farsi was taught in all schools, colleges and universities in British times.
but his message was for masses and we got decline in farsi in such short period of time ?

But he had urdu poetry also which masses were fully able to understand.
True but most of his good work is in Persian. Among his 12,000 verses of poetry, about 7,000 verses are in Persian.

His love of the Persian language is evident in his works and poetry. He says in one of his poems:

گرچہ ہندی در عذوبت شکر است

garche Hindi dar uzūbat shekkar ast

طرز گفتار دري شيرين تر است

tarz-e goftar-e Dari shirin tar ast

Translation: Even though in sweetness Hindi* is sugar(but) speech method in Dari (Persian) is sweeter *

I was wondering how he became such expert of Persian language when he has studied in government college of Lahore and also why farsi got decline if it was such popular among local people at that time?

True but most of his good work is in Persian. Among his 12,000 verses of poetry, about 7,000 verses are in Persian.

His love of the Persian language is evident in his works and poetry. He says in one of his poems:

Translation: Even though in sweetness Hindi* is sugar(but) speech method in Dari (Persian) is sweeter *

I was wondering how he became such expert of Persian language when he has studied in government college of Lahore and also why farsi got decline if it was such popular among local people at that time?

He learned persian/farsi primarily from Mir Hassan who was a learned scholar of farsi in Sialkot in his younger days, then later on he did some research during his PhD on persian poetry while in Heidelberg Germany so he had a good command on not only persian vocabulary but also its poetic history. All that helped him to find persian more convenient for his own poetry I believe.

He learned persian/farsi primarily from Mir Hassan who was a learned scholar of farsi in Sialkot in his younger days, then later on he did some research during his PhD on persian poetry while in Heidelberg Germany so he had a good command on not only persian vocabulary but also its poetic history. All that helped him to find persian more convenient for his own poetry I believe.

Persian was official language of Pakistan before British Occupation.
In Sikh empire and also Sindh and Kalat.
Sikh Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
British changed Persian to Urdu and English because of three things:
1. To cut ties to Afghanistan and Persia (they thought it would lead to resistance).
2. To make Pakistan closer to India (Urdu is similar to Hindi)
3. English is the language of the British

And still today Urdu and English are even today national and offical language of Pakistan.
And our mother tongues Pashto, Punjabi, Sindhi, Balochi and Kashmiri are only regional languages.

Sad but true.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom