What's new

Featured WB says cannot mediate in Pakistan-India water dispute

Pakistan gets about 80% of its water from glacial melts, and small rivers joining the Indus tributary system and all the glacial and snow cover, catchment area is all in Pakistan, the Gilgit Baltistan region of Pakistan, the Chitral side again in Pakistan, so India at the most can stop about 10-15% of water to Pakistan with the lower riparian rivers.

Also large rivers like Indus(very small two feet wide at the start) doesn't works like a water pipe connected to a tap and the initial water intensity and at the end is same. Rivers in hilly glacial terrain doesn't works like this.

A two feet wide river turns into a 2 mile wide river in Sindh.

Also River Indus originates in Tibet, and passes through the north of Ladakh, a small area if looked into the total length of river Indus.

So India cannot stops Pakistan water of the Indus system...

Pakistan gets about 80% of its water from glacial melts, and small rivers joining the Indus tributary system and all the glacial and snow cover, catchment area is all in Pakistan, the Gilgit Baltistan region of Pakistan, the Chitral side again in Pakistan, so India at the most can stop about 10-15% of water to Pakistan with the lower riparian rivers.

Also large rivers like Indus(very small two feet wide at the start) doesn't works like a water pipe connected to a tap and the initial water intensity and at the end is same. Rivers in hilly glacial terrain doesn't works like this.

Also River Indus originates in Tibet, and passes through the north of Ladakh, a small area if looked into the total length of river Indus.

Thanks for the excellent post and great info.

China blocks Brahmaputra River as India threatens to scrap Indus Water Treaty

In a recent development amid intense tensions between India and Pakistan, China has blocked a tributary of the Brahmaputra River in Tibet which can severely impact water flows in India.

The move is part of the construction of China’s most expensive hydro Lalho project in Xigaze, Zhang Yunbao, head of the said project, was quoted by the state-run Xinhua as saying.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/119195...ndia-threatens-scrap-indus-water-treaty?amp=1

View attachment 659932

Here check the Ganga basin map,
India is just waiting for pakistani army to do smthin stupid ... then u will see Chenab river which originates in Himachal gets a good chunk diverted to Indian canal systems just 100 or so kilometres away, by the way chenab is actually one of largest tributaries of Sindhu river, India do want china to attempt the same only will justify India more to do the same to an enemy and by the way Brahmputra is pretty less significant to India then Bandladesh and Brahputra is also not that important for BD as Chenab is for Sindhu and Sindhu is for Pakistan

Is that the best you can do, poor...

You just proved my point! Close to 220 million people live in Uttar Pardesh alone!

Here I'll give you a hand;

Vijay Kumar is just one of the more than 400 million people who depend on the Ganges River for their livelihoods

https://www.dw.com/en/indias-polluted-ganges-river-threatens-peoples-livelihoods/a-17237276

This was back in 2013!!!

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/is-ganga-on-the-verge-of-drying/articleshow/65488234.cms

as the source of drinking water for almost 500 million people.

https://www.envirotech-online.com/n...ange-drying-up-indiarsquos-ganges-river/38783

So I take it the lives of 600 million Indians and 1,102,000 square kilometres of land enriched the basin means nothing to you, I guess it's collateral damage.

India can't do nothing, and go ahead and touch the Chenab and see what happens. Before you can even interfere, and do the so called damage you intend to Pakistan a third of your nation will suffer irreversible damage, with the Ganga, Sultaj and Brahmputra depleted or gone.
Oh I do like how you stated that the Brahmaputra is nothing for India, the lifleline of the North East.

The Brahmaputra River is the lifeline of Assam and its economy. It can be argued that, if properly developed, the Brahmaputra basin can be one of the most prosperous regions of India

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-94-017-0540-0_16

One of many research papers done on it above.

You should stop now, you haven't got a clue what you are going on about.

Last edited:
haha china china china, china has already done what it could have thr r few hydro projects and dam exists in Brahmputra other than that thr is no economically feasible dam can be created and like I told u Brahmputra is not significant to India as much as to BD, Indian north east has many local rivers and very high monsoon rains it will help India if Brahmputra carries sm less water which is not possible as China mainland is too far away and not much need on the other hand Indian canal system is 50-100 kms away from Indus tributaries...
IWT will be trashed sooner or later as Pakistan is hell bent on its terrorist activities not only in kashmir but rest of India any major terrorist attack or any other warlike situation will ensure that.
Pakistan is lucky India has majority Hindus which believe in living peacefully if India would have been non hindu Pakistan would have gotten zilth from India and now after decades of pak army terrorist activities peaceful India has lost her patience IWT will likely be trashed in at most 2-5 years as pakistan is hell bent on enmity against peaceful India and no malik china wont save u. India is more than capable to defend against any chinese aggression

The fact you keep on writing 'hahahah' shows your maturity level, and explains your lack of knowledge as well.
There's a lot more than China can do, and is planning to do to the Brahmputra. Do see the link up above.
The Brahmputra is the lifeline of North East India.
Oh and the monsoon rains, let's look at those shall we?

Erratic Monsoon Haunts India; 33% Rainfall Deficit in June

India’s monsoon rainfall has become increasingly irregular, say experts. While many blame global warming for the increasing variability, other factors like urbanisation and pollution have also affected rainfall patterns. Look at all the things that happened in June: a cyclone in the Arabian Sea threatened to devastate coastal Gujarat; the monsoons stalled twice; temperatures hit the highest-ever level of 50°C in Churu, Rajasthan; the rainfall deficit in places like Vidarbha and Marathwada touched 80% in the middle of the month, and water-scarce Chennai got hit by a sudden deluge!

According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the rainfall deficit in June has accumulated to 33% at the end of the month. As per the IMD’s records, with overall rainfall of 112.1 mm, this is the fifth driest June for India in the past 100 years. Only four times in the last century has June rainfall been less than this—in 2009 (85.7mm), 2014 (95.4), 1926 (98.7mm) and 1923 (102mm)—reports The Times of India.

Thirty of 36 meteorological subdivisions across India have reported deficient rainfall. Two subdivisions (west Uttar Pradesh and Haryana-Delhi) faced a large deficiency of over 60%.

https://weather.com/en-IN/india/mon...monsoon-haunts-india-33-rainfall-deficit-june

The average rainfall for every region of India is deficient, according to the India Meteorological Department (IMD).

Measuring from June 1, the overall deficit is 16 percent. Maybe more tellingly, 56 percent of the land area of India is short of the expected fall for this point in an "average" season.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019...ng-erratic-season-weaker-190728105734941.html

There's actually a great deal on this, and I'm not surprised you wrote the whole "monsoon rains will save India" without even knowing how badly they have been affected in recent years, seeing as you spend most of your time writing hahahaha.

Indian water does not come from China. Just because a river originates somewhere does not mean its source of water is mainly from there. A big river like Brahmaputra, Ganga, Satluj etc get water from the snowcaps, water from Himalayan tributaries etc. Tibet hardly has any rainfall and hence it is impractical to say that Tibet actually provides water to India. Even if China block, at most 5% of Brahmaputra water can be blocked and that will only hit Bangladesh, not India. The NE region in India gets so much rain that there can be no practical scarcity of water. In case of Satluj, only 2% water can be cut by China. This becomes irrelevant

You've been one of the better posters in years, and I don't really want to get into this with every Indian poster. It's more for those who think they can take Pakistan's water. But I'll reply here.

I would have corrected your post a little, what you should have said is "India doesn't get all it's water from there". However do the likes of the Sultaj, Brahmaputra, and Ganga rely on Chinese controlled water for it's flow, yes they do do. Take the Ganga for an example it's largest tributary by discharge i.e. the Ghaghara average annual flow of about 2,991 m3/s (105,600 cu ft/s). A lessening of this would be a disaster to the river.
You said that China can only block 2% of the Sultaj, ok but looking at a map how possibly did you arrive at this conclusion, especially since the Sultaj has NO major tributary providing discharge until it begins to reach the Pakistan/Indian border i.e. The Beas. A Chinese blockage will end the river.

main-qimg-812e6cf3ca27de2252ca8c756dbf5263

The Brahmaputra I've written about numerous times.

Last edited:

India can cut about 10-15% of Pakistani water as you said. I agree with you on this. Also, all of this water cut will be from Chenab river exclusively. Nevertheless, do you think 15% reduction is small? Moreover, it will cause direct dryness in areas relying on Chenab and that will make the loss more serious.

China blocks Brahmaputra River as India threatens to scrap Indus Water Treaty

In a recent development amid intense tensions between India and Pakistan, China has blocked a tributary of the Brahmaputra River in Tibet which can severely impact water flows in India.

The move is part of the construction of China’s most expensive hydro Lalho project in Xigaze, Zhang Yunbao, head of the said project, was quoted by the state-run Xinhua as saying.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/119195...ndia-threatens-scrap-indus-water-treaty?amp=1
Not really correct. It is just media hype. China did not threaten as it can't threaten.

You've been one of the better posters in years, and I don't really want to get into this with every Indian poster. It's more for those who think they can take Pakistan's water. But I'll reply here.

I would have corrected your post a little, what you should have said is "India doesn't get all it's water from there". However do the likes of the Sultaj, Brahmaputra, and Ganga rely on Chinese controlled water for it's flow, yes they do do. Take the Ganga for an example it's largest tributary by discharge i.e. average annual flow of about 2,991 m3/s (105,600 cu ft/s). A lessening of this would be a disaster to the river.
You said that China can only block 2% of the Sultaj, ok but looking at a map how possibly did you arrive at this conclusion, especially since the Sultaj has NO major tributary providing discharge until it begins to reach the Pakistan/Indian border i.e. The Beas. A Chinese blockage will end the river.

main-qimg-812e6cf3ca27de2252ca8c756dbf5263

The Brahmaputra I've written about numerous times.
The map is a very broad level one. If we narrow down, we will find taht the majority of Satluj is from the rains in Uttarakhand and Ladakh border. Tibet has almost no rain and hence very little water actually comes from Tibet. Yes, it appears to have long distance in Tibet but water proportion is low. Just think about it - how can Tibet river get water when there is very little rain and has limited melting of snowcaps either. Similarly, Ganga and Brahmaputra also has limited water flow from China.

These maps are not giving full picture. In reality, hundreds of small streams join every big river, not just 10-15 as shown in maps. Maps can't have that much detail for convenience

The map is a very broad level one. If we narrow down, we will find taht the majority of Satluj is from the rains in Uttarakhand and Ladakh border. Tibet has almost no rain and hence very little water actually comes from Tibet. Yes, it appears to have long distance in Tibet but water proportion is low. Just think about it - how can Tibet river get water when there is very little rain and has limited melting of snowcaps either. Similarly, Ganga and Brahmaputra also has limited water flow from China.

These maps are not giving full picture. In reality, hundreds of small streams join every big river, not just 10-15 as shown in maps. Maps can't have that much detail for convenience

It's not rainwater I'm discussing here.

You know what , I actually went at pains to find this out i.e. how much meltwater from the Tibetan glaciers contribute to Indian river systems, and it is very substantial. Thank you to the academics (UK) for showing me this.

Here's one such research paper on the Brahmaputra;

https://tc.copernicus.org/preprints/tc-2019-211/tc-2019-211.pdf

the sustainable supply of GS melt, which is susceptible to climate change, is the key to the local freshwater security, flood prevention and control, and hydroelectric development

The GS melt serves as an essential water supplier for the Brahmaputra river system

results of Lutz et al. (2014), which showed that GS melt constitutes 33% of the total discharge in the Brahmaputra and that 50% of the annual melt occurs in the summer

Among all model estimates, Lutz’s model reported one of the largest proportions of GS melt contribution (33%), but still largely underestimated 310 the amount of summer meltwater, according to our estimate from satellite observations

Regarding the Sultaj, actually meltwater forms a significant part of the water flow, as mentioned first by Indian geologists here;

Satluj river is fed by the glacier melt, snow melt and rain,

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/EGU2018-434.pdf

Some more evidence on the importance of meltwater to the Sultaj and NOT RAIN.

A new study finds that 55% of the glaciers in the Satluj basin could disappear by 2050 and 97% by 2090 due to climate change.

The hydrology of the Sutlej is controlled by spring and summer snowmelt in the Himalayas and by the South Asian monsoon. More than 50% of the annual flow of Satluj river comes from snow and ice melt!!!

https://www.indiawaterportal.org/articles/glacier-melt-threatens-water-reserves-satluj-basin

I'm sorry this is in direct conflict with what you wrote above. You called it limited when quite clearly it isn't according to established experts in the field. The figure according to Veen, Feddema,Jeelani, and Stearns is as high as 59%.
The contributions of rain and smaller streams etc are small in comparison.

Here's some more with how vital Tibet's glaciers are to the flow of the Sultaj;

The total glacier stored water for 2026 glaciers in Satluj basin was 69 cubic kilometres. About 56% of the total volume (37 cubic kilometres) was stored in large glaciers (with an area of above 5 sq. km) covering an area of 517 sq km.
The largest glacier found in the study area was from the Tibetan region (CHINA), which was found to occupy an area of 66.8 sq. km and contained 6.5 gigatonne (Gt) of ice. Most of the glaciers contained less than 0.1 Gt of ice.

https://www.indiawaterportal.org/articles/glacier-melt-threatens-water-reserves-satluj-basin

The team with the above findings;

Satluj

The study team included Veena Prasad, Anil V. Kulkarni, S. Pradeep, S. Pratibha, Tejal Shirsat, A. R. Arya and Sayli A. Tawde (Indian Institute of Science); Andrew Orr and Daniel Bannister (British Antarctic Survey).

From the respected Divecha Centre for Climate Change at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.

Here's another article which carried the same ground breaking study on loss of glacial water.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.co...-disappear-by-2050-study/article27185928.ece#

By the way my own experiences of this. My own ancestry hails from mountainous regions and as a young lad visiting Pakistan (AJK) I observed how melt water in the summer provided essential flow to our rivers from the Himalayan glaciers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom