What's new

Delhi has the right to generate hydroelectricity ,In a first India has called on Pakistan to enter intergovernmental negotiations within 90days

View attachment 914988

Can you show me scientific articles which state the flow you posted about? Wikipedia has many Indian 'contributors' changing things as they go along.

Yes I know what discharge is and one of the main factors that give a high discharge rate are drainage basin, and the Yarlung Zangbo has a large drainage basin giving it a higher discharge rate;

Large drainage basins catch more precipitation so have a higher peak discharge compared to smaller basins.

water-10-01131-g001.png

The river flows through Tibet which again makes discharge high as drainage basins with steep sides tend to have shorter lag times than shallower basins. This is because water flows more quickly on the steep slopes down to the river.

It also has numerous streams contributing to velocity and high density drainage i.e. drains quicker.

4-Figure2-1.png

The river also has a natural clear path, little vegetation and the rock type is also impermeable which means lag time is low and discharge higher.

1616283641389-png.726435

For reference;

You still didn't answer how such a long river can have a low discharge. Look at the list of rivers with the highest discharge, their length is always longer.

Now here is the big contradiction in what you posted. In your source you said the Yarlung only has a flow of 1800 m³/s.
But the above link shows this from wikipedia;
Screenshot;
View attachment 914989

View attachment 914990

So the average discharge is 7,529 which makes it 30% out of the 25000 m3/s.......

This is lake Rakshastal before it becomes the Sultaj;

1616283445631-png.726434

China has massive control over the Sultaj;

More than 50% of the annual flow of Satluj river comes from snow and ice melt from China!

https://www.indiawaterportal.org/articles/glacier-melt-threatens-water-reserves-satluj-basin

According to experts such as Veen, Feddema,J eelani, and Stearns it is even as high as 59%.
The contributions of rain and smaller streams within India are small.

The total glacier stored water for 2026 glaciers in Satluj basin was 69 cubic kilometres. About 56% of the total volume (37 cubic kilometres) was stored in large glaciers (with an area of above 5 sq. km) covering an area of 517 sq km. The largest glacier found in the study area was from the Tibetan region (CHINA), which was found to occupy an area of 66.8 sq. km and contained 6.5 gigatonne (Gt) of ice. Most of the glaciers contained less than 0.1 Gt of ice.

https://www.indiawaterportal.org/articles/glacier-melt-threatens-water-reserves-satluj-basin

The Brahmaputra is just as reliant.

Tibetan glaciers contribute to Indian river systems, and it is very substantial.
Thank you to the academics (UK) for showing me this.

Here's one such research paper on the Brahmaputra;

https://tc.copernicus.org/preprints/tc-2019-211/tc-2019-211.pdf

the sustainable supply of GS melt, which is susceptible to climate change, is the key to the local freshwater security, flood prevention and control, and hydroelectric development

The GS melt serves as an essential water supplier for the Brahmaputra river system

results of Lutz et al. (2014), which showed that GS melt constitutes 33% of the total discharge in the Brahmaputra and that 50% of the annual melt occurs in the summer

This is why your government is scared of Chinese water control. They are wise and pay lots of money to save them from a disaster. You're wasting your time discussing with me on here. You should be talking to Modi and his clan.
If China diverts water from Indus, it's impact on Pakistan will be even more severe, as it has a claim over 63 per cent of this flow

If China diverts water from Indus, it's impact on Pakistan will be even more severe, as it has a claim over 63 per cent of this flow

I hope you know difference between peak flow , average flow and minimum flow.

"While the peak flows at Nuxia and Tsela Dzong — measuring stations at the great bend in the Tibetan plateau — are about 5,000 and 10,000 cubic metres per second (cumecs), the peak flow at Guwahati in Assam is approximately 55,000 cumecs. The lean season flow in Nuxia is in the range of 300-500 cumecs, while the lean flow at Pasighat in India is to the tune of 2,000-plus cumecs, the one at Guwahati is around 4000-plus cumecs, and at Bahadurabad it is about 5,000 cumecs."

Large catchment area can have small discharge if area does not have enough rainfall, Tibet has only 30cm of rainfall comparable to our Thar desert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom