What's new

Delhi has the right to generate hydroelectricity ,In a first India has called on Pakistan to enter intergovernmental negotiations within 90days

Being a smaller country you will be always feel threatened even when there is no threat. Being upper riparian we have been more than generous in allocating 3 western rivers.

The passive aggressive behaviour on display is hardly surprising.

I think we're going in circles now, i would like to suggest a thought experiment.

Can you elaborate what you think will or will not happen if the GoI decides to unilaterally suspend a treaty.

Here's what I think will happen:
1. Loss of prestige. Nationstates breaching international contracts risk being seen as untrustworthy. If for any reason GoI can breach its obligations with one country what stops it from doing it to another on whatever pretext. This translates to delays or additional hurdles for all future agreements.

2. Increased leverage for GoC. Polity is about leverage and how you use it to further interests. China would be alarmed at such developments and would likely use it as a pretext to dam its own water sources and weaponise them.

3. It would be inimical to long term peace. To contest China we need our borders to be secure without investing disproportionate resources into safeguarding them. Water weaponisation could escalte quickly. Nation states pushed to the brink herald destruction, especially one volatile such as Pakistan. In this case their unpredictability allows them to punch above their weight.
Not to mention this embarrasses the PDM government when it is trying to win elections soon. Unless india wants to see a return of IK and PTI. A stable Pakistan that is focused on peace and comes to some kind of working relationship with India is in both nations best interest.

Not to mention this embarrasses the PDM government when it is trying to win elections soon. Unless india wants to see a return of IK and PTI. A stable Pakistan that is focused on peace and comes to some kind of working relationship with India is in both nations best interest.
India will also want Imran Khan to return to power, the rift he created between military and the political brass is ideal for India to invest in some deep assets and exploit.

India will also want Imran Khan to return to power, the rift he created between military and the political brass is ideal for India to invest in some deep assets and exploit.
Sure, that what Indians want.

If IK comes back, he has said he would only come back to push through serious reforms will a clear majority.

while it is expected he would tone down the rhetoric in public again the all the factions of the elites and India, Pakistan’s middle and junior military and bureaucratic officers will carry forward the reforms he makes if he stays in power for at least one full term.

But I’m glad you want to see IK return. It’s something we can both agree upon.

Last edited:
Sure, that what what Indians want.

If IK comes back, he has said he would only come back to push through serious reforms will a clear majority.

while it is expected he would tone down the rhetoric in public again the all the factions of the elites and India, Pakistan’s middle and junior military and bureaucratic officers will carry forward the reforms he makes if he stays in power for at least one full term.

But I’m glad you want to see IK return. It’s something we can both agree upon.
the guy is 70 years old

the guy is 70 years old
That’s why I said one full term. If he pushes through reforms, hopefully all the other parties will take the opportunity to restructure as well in response, ending dynastic politics and offering up more choices to the public. PTI also needs a meritocratic plan of succession that doesn’t fall back into the nepotistic impulses of South Asia and Pakistan in particular.

I don’t think PTI has all the solutions, but it’s the only one going in the right direction.

This will do NOTHING. The volume and velocity of the water is from China and with that ebbed how much you conserve will be negligible.

This is also a run of a river dam and won't answer the problems you have if you decide to play water chief lol....

Hello Waz, 7% of the mighty Brahmputra water flow from China to India. Brahmputra is not even jugular to India in the same way Indus to Pakistan.

India should never forget we have a bunker buster for every one of those dams and more. By the time likes of Abhinandans chase us out, it'd already be too late.
Hi, do you really burst a dam whose water is eventually going to flood Pakistan?

Hello Waz, 7% of the mighty Brahmputra water flow from China to India. Brahmputra is not even jugular to India in the same way Indus to Pakistan.

Hello Bihari it’s a lot more than 7% (see the articles). China has full control of 50% of your rivers. Forget jugular vein of Pakistan they have control over your arteries, veins and capillaries.

Hello Bihari it’s a lot more than 7% (see the articles). China has full control of 50% of your rivers. Forget jugular vein of Pakistan they have control over your arteries, veins and capillaries.
Heyy Wise one! It is 7.2% of Brahmputra. Yarlang Tsangpo (HeadBranch of Brahmputra) has 1800 m3/s and Brahmaputra has 25000 m3/s average discharge. Now do your math.

Secondly full control of 50% of Indian rivers! Seriously? Please review map of Indian rivers (Indian Rivers)

vs04WuHJuR-lOfT1hCHCyCYcvf4RAsNjL3kU1JQZuaSnGRJx34AqoiC-bxfysL3OvwD2

Heyy Wise one! It is 7.2% of Brahmputra. Yarlang Tsangpo (HeadBranch of Brahmputra) has 1800 m3/s and Brahmaputra has 25000 m3/s average discharge. Now do your math.

Secondly full control of 50% of Indian rivers! Seriously? Please review map of Indian rivers (Indian Rivers)

vs04WuHJuR-lOfT1hCHCyCYcvf4RAsNjL3kU1JQZuaSnGRJx34AqoiC-bxfysL3OvwD2

Yes wise one where did you get your figures from? 7% according to whom?

The discharge is actually 16,240 m³/s!
The river runs for 2,840 km and you state that it's discharge is only 1800 m³/s.

Indeed, no country in Asia is more vulnerable to China’s re-engineering of trans-boundary flows than India because it alone receives — directly or via rivers that flow in through Nepal — nearly half of all river waters that leave Chinese-controlled territory.

Receives half of all rivers from China.

Please tell your government to stop paying China for water data as you obviously seem to know more sitting in Bihar lol!!!!!

Yes wise one where did you get your figures from? 7% according to whom?

The discharge is actually 16,240 m³/s!
The river runs for 2,840 km and you state that it's discharge is only 1800 m³/s.
My Friend, you didn't even care to look up even at Wikipedia. Did you? here it is ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarlung_Tsangpo

Discharge is flow rate sir. It is volume of water per second passing through a point.

Problem with the Brahmputra is too much water for it's channel. Every season it overflows.

Tibet is an arid zone. China's share in Satluj is even more minimal.

I don't think, that was his intention at the beginning. He went that way, when his and army's ways diverged. Past can't be a indicator of future behavior all the time, particularly in Politics.

Truth be told, Khan is a risky one for both India and Pakistan is what I feel. People do crazy stuff, to stay popular.

My Friend, you didn't even care to look up even at Wikipedia. Did you? here it is ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarlung_Tsangpo

Discharge is flow rate sir. It is volume of water per second passing through a point.

Problem with the Brahmputra is too much water for it's channel. Every season it overflows.

Tibet is an arid zone. China's share in Satluj is even more minimal.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 11.42.17.png

Can you show me scientific articles which state the flow you posted about? Wikipedia has many Indian 'contributors' changing things as they go along.

Yes I know what discharge is and one of the main factors that give a high discharge rate are drainage basin, and the Yarlung Zangbo has a large drainage basin giving it a higher discharge rate;

Large drainage basins catch more precipitation so have a higher peak discharge compared to smaller basins.

water-10-01131-g001.png

The river flows through Tibet which again makes discharge high as drainage basins with steep sides tend to have shorter lag times than shallower basins. This is because water flows more quickly on the steep slopes down to the river.

It also has numerous streams contributing to velocity and high density drainage i.e. drains quicker.

4-Figure2-1.png

The river also has a natural clear path, little vegetation and the rock type is also impermeable which means lag time is low and discharge higher.

1616283641389-png.726435

For reference;

You still didn't answer how such a long river can have a low discharge. Look at the list of rivers with the highest discharge, their length is always longer.

Now here is the big contradiction in what you posted. In your source you said the Yarlung only has a flow of 1800 m³/s.
But the above link shows this from wikipedia;
Screenshot;
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 12.16.13.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 12.16.02.png

So the average discharge is 7,529 which makes it 30% out of the 25000 m3/s.......

This is lake Rakshastal before it becomes the Sultaj;

1616283445631-png.726434

China has massive control over the Sultaj;

More than 50% of the annual flow of Satluj river comes from snow and ice melt from China!

https://www.indiawaterportal.org/articles/glacier-melt-threatens-water-reserves-satluj-basin

According to experts such as Veen, Feddema,J eelani, and Stearns it is even as high as 59%.
The contributions of rain and smaller streams within India are small.

The total glacier stored water for 2026 glaciers in Satluj basin was 69 cubic kilometres. About 56% of the total volume (37 cubic kilometres) was stored in large glaciers (with an area of above 5 sq. km) covering an area of 517 sq km. The largest glacier found in the study area was from the Tibetan region (CHINA), which was found to occupy an area of 66.8 sq. km and contained 6.5 gigatonne (Gt) of ice. Most of the glaciers contained less than 0.1 Gt of ice.

https://www.indiawaterportal.org/articles/glacier-melt-threatens-water-reserves-satluj-basin

The Brahmaputra is just as reliant.

Tibetan glaciers contribute to Indian river systems, and it is very substantial.
Thank you to the academics (UK) for showing me this.

Here's one such research paper on the Brahmaputra;

https://tc.copernicus.org/preprints/tc-2019-211/tc-2019-211.pdf

the sustainable supply of GS melt, which is susceptible to climate change, is the key to the local freshwater security, flood prevention and control, and hydroelectric development

The GS melt serves as an essential water supplier for the Brahmaputra river system

results of Lutz et al. (2014), which showed that GS melt constitutes 33% of the total discharge in the Brahmaputra and that 50% of the annual melt occurs in the summer

This is why your government is scared of Chinese water control. They are wise and pay lots of money to save them from a disaster. You're wasting your time discussing with me on here. You should be talking to Modi and his clan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom