What's new

Volumes on India's Freedom Struggle Martyrs

Vice President's Secretariat
06-December, 2017 20:54 IST
We should reshape our country to ensure all citizens have essential freedoms enshrined in our constitution: Vice President

Addresses 211th Martyrdom Day of Shaheed Jayee Rajguru

The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said that we should reshape our country to ensure all citizens have essential freedoms enshrined in our constitution. He was addressing the 211th Martyrdom Day of Shaheed Jayee Rajguru, organized by Odisha Forum, here today. The Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.

The Vice President said that Jayee Rajguru made the supreme sacrifice of his life on this day for the independence of this country, sparking a massive “Paika Vidroh” or war against the British in Odisha and other parts of the country. He further said that Jaya Krushna Mahapatra was the Rajguru of King of Khurda as was popularly known as Jayee Rajguru. The first war of independence had also raised its head in the Khurda kingdom in Odisha and the hero of this earliest war of Indian independence was Jayee Rajguru, he added.

The Vice President said that the story of Jayee Rajguru is awe inspiring and demonstrates the heroic patriotism of many of our ancestors who sacrificed their lives for our motherland. He further said that the Khurda Rising of 1804 which Shaheed Rajguru led from the front was truly a people’s war. The battle skill, valour and sacrifices of Jayee Rajguru and his followers are still remembered by the people even after 200 years, he added.

The Vice President said that Jayee Rajguru was the first martyr from Orissa in the freedom struggle and also one of the earliest martyrs in our Freedom Movement. He further said that he was not only a brave warrior but a Great Sanskrit Scholar of his time and was an astute Rajguru. We are proud that such noble individuals have lived in our country and left behind a glorious saga of sacrifice and as a nation we shall be ever grateful to such heroes, he added.

Following is the text of Vice President’s address:

“We are here today to commemorate the 211th martyrdom Day of Shaheed Jayee Rajguru. Jayee Rajguru made the supreme sacrifice of his life on this day for the independence of this country, sparking a massive “Paika Vidroh” or war against the British in Odisha and other parts of the country. On this occasion, I join you all in paying my humble tributes to the Shaheed for his sacrifice to the cause of the freedom of our country. I also compliment the Shaheed Jayee Rajguru Foundation for organising the function to pay our homage to this outstanding national leader.

Jaya Krushna Mahapatra was the Rajguru of King of Khurda. He was popularly known as Jayee Rajguru. It is pertinent to mention that the Khurda kingdom comprising the coastal districts of Odisha was the last bastion of independent India which fell to the British only in the year 1803. By then the rest of India had already come under the British rule. Incidentally, the first war of independence had also raised its head in the Khurda kingdom in Odisha. This is popularly known as the Khurda Rising of 1804. It was truly a landmark people’s war in many sense. The hero of this earliest war of Indian independence was Jayee Rajguru.

The story of Jayee Rajguru is awe inspiring and demonstrates the heroic patriotism of many of our ancestors who sacrificed their lives for our motherland.

The Khurda Rising of 1804 which Shaheed Rajguru led from the front was truly a people’s war. The Rajguru prepared the army for it and appealed to the people to come forward and be ready for sacrifice to save their Motherland. Every household contributed a soldier, trained in different war skills, and people grouping themselves under his leadership. These fighters from the common masses, formed an army to fight the colonial rule were known as Paikas. Jayee Rajguru attacked the British forces in 1804 on the banks of the river Mahanadi. In a fiercely fought battle, a handful of Paika soldiers fought valiantly against the 7000 strong British army. The battle skill, valour and sacrifices of Jayee Rajguru and his followers are still remembered by the people even after 200 years.

It is inspiring to remind ourselves of the great heritage of freedom struggle. Brave and loyal sons and daughters of our country have shown extraordinary commitment to the cause of freedom. They gave their day for our today. Our glorious yesterdays illuminate and make our todays brighter.

Rajguru was the epitome of dharma. He not only counselled the king in fulfilling Raja Dharma but also carried out his own dharma or duty to save the king even at the risk of losing his own life. Not fearing his own capture, Jayee Rajguru moved the King to a safe place with his trusted lieutenants, so that the symbol of sovereignty of his land could be protected. Jayee Rajguru exhibited his abiding love and eternal loyalty of the highest order.

He was the first martyr from Orissa in the freedom struggle and also one of the earliest martyrs in our Freedom Movement.

Jayee Rajguru’s brilliant leadership, incisive diplomacy and his contribution to the social, religious and political life of his state makes for an inspiring chapter in the national history. Remembering the act deed of such life will inspire patriotic values in the youth and citizen’s of this country. We should ensure that such historical events should be a part of our education system.

Jayee Rajguru was not only a brave warrior but a Great Sanskrit Scholar of his time and was an astute Rajguru. We are proud that such noble individuals have lived in our country and left behind a glorious saga of sacrifice. As a nation we shall be ever grateful to such heroes.

With these words, I once again pay my humble tributes to the memory of this brave son of India. Let us emulate the ideals and values of Jayee Rajguru, which will be the true respect to the supreme sacrifice made by him.

In fact, we should protect the freedom that has been won with so much of sacrifice and, with the same patriotic fervour, reshape our country to ensure all citizens of this great country have essential freedoms enshrined in our constitution.

We should look at the illustrious past and the current progress to mould a better future for our people. I see this as the eloquent lesson taught to us by heroes like Rajguru and our freedom fighters who are also ‘gurus’ in a way, because they teach us ‘values’ through their ‘actions’.

Lord Krishna had exhorted Arjuna to shed diffidence and fight on. That’s the courage we need today. Courage of conviction. Courage to face realities, however unpleasant. Courage to take action, however difficult.

Jai Hind!”

upload_2017-12-6_21-17-36.jpeg

Jai-Rajguru4.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu at an event to commemorate the 211th Martyrdom Day of Shaheed Jayee Rajguru, in New Delhi on December 06, 2017. The Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171206119005.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu paying tributes to the portrait of Shaheed Jayee Rajguru at an event to commemorate his 211th Martyrdom Day, in New Delhi on December 06, 2017. The Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171206119006.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu releasing a book on Jayee Rajguru, at an event to commemorate the 211th Martyrdom Day of Shaheed Jayee Rajguru, in New Delhi on December 06, 2017. The Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171206119007.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressing the gathering at the commemoration of the 211th Martyrdom Day of Shaheed Jayee Rajguru, in New Delhi on December 06, 2017.
s20171206119008.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressing the gathering at the commemoration of the 211th Martyrdom Day of Shaheed Jayee Rajguru, in New Delhi on December 06, 2017. The Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171206119009.jpg

The Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan addressing the gathering at the commemoration of the 211th Martyrdom Day of Shaheed Jayee Rajguru, in New Delhi on December 06, 2017.
s20171206119010.jpg

The President, Shri Ram Nath Kovind paying floral tribute at the Statue of Shri Alluri Sitarama Raju, at Visakhapatnam, in Andhra Pradesh on December 07, 2017. The Governor of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, Shri E.S.L. Narasimhan and the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Shri N. Chandrababu Naidu are also seen.
s20171207119073.jpg

10-December, 2017 19:09 IST
Subramanya Bharathi wanted India to break narrow domestic walls: Vice President

Addresses Birthday Celebrations of Subramanya Bharathi

The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said that Subramanya Bharathi, like Guru Dev Rabindranath Tagore, wanted India to break the narrow domestic walls. He was addressing the gathering at the Birthday Celebrations of great national poet Subramanya Bharathi, in Chennai today. The Governor of Tamil Nadu, Shri Banwarilal Purohit and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.

The Vice President said that ‘Bharathi’ was the title given to this great luminary, so was the title of ‘Mahakavi’. Both signify his extraordinary contribution to the world of letters through his poetry and his speeches. He was truly blessed by the goddess of learning, he added.

The Vice President said that his was a vision of ‘freedom’ in the broadest sense. Not only did he join the freedom struggle and relentlessly fight against the foreign rule, but he wanted India to be free from hunger, gender discrimination, untouchability, unclean environment, narrow linguistic and religious dogmatism, he added.

The Vice President said that he wanted Indians to be proud of their rich heritage and language and literature was an integral part of this heritage. He celebrated India’s diversity and loved all languages and described Telugu as ‘Sundara Telungu’, he added.

Following is the text of Vice President's address:

"It is my honour and privilege to participate in this Birthday Celebrations of great national poet Subramanya Bharathi.

Bharathi’s life and message is like the message of the ancient sages of our great land. Eternally relevant and perpetually inspiring, it is treasure which all of us cherish.

The very name of Bharathi itself is inspiring, not only to me but to everyone who loves Bharath more than his own self. Please take a look at the name again. It is BHARATH followed by an I, (Bharath-I) urging every one of us to put the country (Bharath) before our selfishness or ego (I) If each one of us can put our country above our personal greed and ego, we would be creating an India that visionaries like Bharathi dreamt of.

‘Bharathi’ was the title given to this great luminary. So was the title of ‘Mahakavi’. Both signify his extraordinary contribution to the world of letters through his poetry and his speeches. He was truly blessed by the goddess of learning.

While I was growing through his life history, I was amazed to note the vast canvass of issues and subjects on which he left an indelible impression in a very short period.

His was a vision of ‘freedom’ in the broadest sense. Not only did he join the freedom struggle and relentlessly fight against the foreign rule, but he wanted India to be free from hunger, gender discrimination, untouchability, unclean environment, narrow linguistic and religious dogmatism. This visionary approach makes him so relevant to our times.

Bharathi is a symbol of multilingualism that characterizes India. He knew 32 languages including 3 foreign languages. He composed brilliant poems and essays in English but he took pride in being a Tamil poet and a journalist. He considered Tamil and all other Indian languages are no way inferior to English.

In an Essay in New India, he writes,

“The English educated minority in this country can be pardoned for being frightfully ignorant of the higher phases of our national literatures. But they will do well to drop that annoying attitude of patronage and condescension when writing and talking about our languages. The Tamil language, for instance, has a living philosophical and poetical literature that is far grander, to my mind than that of the vernacular of England”.

He wanted Indians to be proud of their rich heritage. Language and literature was an integral part of this heritage. He celebrated India’s diversity and loved all languages and described Telugu as ‘Sundara Telungu’.

He was against the colonial rule and the British domination but not against all foreigners. if they loved Bharath, he was even willing to revere them as his preceptor. Margaret E. Noble, an Irish woman, who was renamed by Swami Vivekananda as Sister Nivedita, is a classic example.She opened a girls' school in Calcutta and tried to educate her students with the nationalist spirit. She introduced singing of 'Vande Màtaram' in her school as a prayer. On her memorial these words are mentioned, "Here reposes Sister Nivedita who gave her all to India".

To Bharathi, Sister Nivedita was Bharat Mata. In his dedicatory lines of his first anthology of poems, Bharathi writes, “ I dedicate this slender volume at the flowery feet of my guru. I dedicate this book to Srimathi Nivedita Devi, the spiritual offspring of Bhagawan Vivekananda, the most excellent of all spiritual teachers. She taught me the nature of true service to the Mother, and the greatness of asceticism-all this through unspoken wisdom”.

Bharathi saw our country as ‘Bharata Devi’, Mother India. Quite naturally serving the motherland became his life’s mission and Vande Mataram became the theme song that inspired him as it did Sister Nivedita who introduced it as the prayer song her school. Bharathi spread the spirit of Vande Mataram through his songs.

The completeness of this vision had earned for his national poems the reputed title, “ Desopanishad ”, comparing the poems with the Upanishadic wisdom of ancient India.

He urges us to take pride in being Bharatiyas and belonging to a land blessed with ancient wisdom, a land which is

The glorious symbol (tilak) of the world Is the Land of Bharat”

பாரத பூமி பழம்பெரும் பூமி;நீரதன் புதல்வர்; இந் நினைவகற்றாதீர்!
பாரத நாடு பார்க்கெலாம் திலகம் நீரதன் புதல்வர்;இந் நினைவகற்றாதீர்!

Bharathi’s patriotism is not a blind reverence.

He had a very modern outlook. He was aspiring for the liberated India to be an enlightened India, a skilled India, a scientifically advanced India. He wrote:

We shall master scriptures and learn the skills of work, We shall explore the sky, the and its life , We shall seek the insights on the nature of moon

மந்திரம்கற்போம் வினைத் தந்திரம் கற்போம்;வானை அளப்போம் கடல் மீனைஅளப்போம்;சந்திரமண்டலத்து இயல் கண்டு தெளிவோம்;

But Bharathi was no idle dreamer. He was a pragmatist as well. He reminded our countrymen that the real glory lies in keeping our streets clean, echoing Gandhiji’s saying that “cleanliness is next to godliness”. This rings so true more than ever today as we see the renewal of this focus on cleanliness in the Swatch Bharath programme.

He had said:
We shall seek the insights on the nature of moon, And we shall learn the means of keeping our streets clean”

சந்திரமண்டலத்து இயல் கண்டு தெளிவோம்;சந்தி தெருப்பெருக்கும் சாத்திரம்கற்போம

Bharathi, like Guru Dev Rabindranath Tagore, wanted India to break the narrow domestic walls.

Bharathi wanted India to break free from the caste system. He considered all living beings as equal and to illustrate this he performed the upanayanam for a young Dalit man and made him a Brahmin. In one of his poems he says:

“There is no caste system.It is a sin to divide people on caste basis.Which means a well educated person knows to treat them same and not by their caste.”

This is exactly what the ancient sages had said: “Pandithah sama darshinaha”.

Bharathi is a staunch advocate for women's participation in politics. He advocated greater rights for women and their education. In his view like in ancient Indian world view, women should be at the vanguard of societal transformation. .

In many ways, Bharathi was the embodiment of what an ideal Indian should be. He applied the knowledge of the illustrious past to contemporary realities and dreamt of shaping a new brighter future, He was a man with extraordinary vision, passion and erudition.

He was fearless and wanted all Indians to be fearless and united in thought and action.

One of Bharati's most famous poems, AchamillaiAchamillai, contains the lyrics "Uchchi Meedhu VaanIdindhu Veezhugindra Podhinum, AchchamIllai AchchamIllai Achcham Enbadhillaiye" "Let the sky fall, when it crumbles, we will stand tall and face it all together." It echoes Rabindranath Tagore’s famous lines: “Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high…. Into that heaven of freedom, let me country awake.”

As we are transforming our country into a Surajya, these are incredibly inspirational thoughts.

I am happy that we are celebrating Bharathi’s birth anniversary by recognising another illustrious son of India who embodies these ideals. Thiru Karthikeyan has demonstrated the fearless approach advocated by Bharathi in his long eventful career as a police officer. He has shown a remarkable acumen for applying knowledge and skills to unravel the truth and protect human rights of people. As the Director General of Police and Director General of the National Human Rights Commission, he has earned the appreciation of the entire country and has been decorated with Padma Sri and a number of awards. Today’s award to him is yet another feather in his cap. It is a happy coincidence that he has somewhat similar interests like me in agriculture and law. I am happy to honour him as I think it is a celebration of the values and ideals that Bharathi keeps reminding all of us.

I congratulate Thiru Karthikeyan and wish him well. I wish Indians all over the world are enthused to recall the glorious Bharathi legacy and commit ourselves to doing whatever we individually and collectively can, to make Bharathi’s dream come true.

Jai Hind!"

Subramanya Bharathi (11 December 188211 September 1921) was a Tamil poet from Tamil Nadu, India, an independence activist and iconoclastic reformer. Also known as Bharathy, and Mahakavi Bharathi, Bharati was also an active member of the Indian National Congress. In 1908, an arrest warrant was issued against Bharati by the government of British India for his revolutionary activities, forcing him to flee to Puducherry, where he lived until 1918.

Bharati was born to Chinnaswami Subramania Iyer and Lakhsmi Ammal as Subbaiah on 11 December 1882 in the village of Ettayapuram.

Artistic depiction of Subramanya Bharathi.
Subramanya_Bharathi.jpg

Photo of Subramanya Bharathi with wife Chellamma.

Subramanya_Bharathi_with_his_wife_Chellamma.jpg

Prime Minister's Office
13-December, 2017 17:35 IST
PM addresses inaugural session of 90th Annual General Meeting of FICCI

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, today addressed the inaugural session of the 90th Annual General Meeting of FICCI.

He recalled that around the time of FICCI's founding in 1927, Indian Industry had united against the Simon Commission that was constituted by the then British Government. He said that Indian Industry had joined all other sections of Indian society, in national interest, at that time.

The Prime Minister said that a similar atmosphere exists today when people of the country are coming forward to fulfill their responsibilities towards the nation. He said the hopes and aspirations of people are to rid the country from internal problems like corruption, and black money. He said political parties and chambers of industry should keep in mind the country's requirements and the feelings of the people, and work accordingly.

The Prime Minister said that a lot has been achieved since independence, but several challenges have arisen as well. He said the poor seemed to be struggling against the system that came to be established, for things such as bank accounts, gas connections, scholarships, pensions etc. He said the Union Government is working to end this struggle, and to create a system that is transparent and sensitive. He said the Jan Dhan Yojana is one example of this, and increasing "ease of living" has been the focus of the Union Government. He also mentioned the Ujjwala Yojana, construction of toilets under the Swachh Bharat Mission, and Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana. He said that he has come through poverty, and understands the need to work for the requirements of the poor and the nation. He also mentioned the Mudra Yojana, for collateral-free loans to entrepreneurs.

The Prime Minister said that the Union Government is working to strengthen the banking system. He said the issue of NPAs is a legacy received by the current Government. He said, rumours are now being spread about the Financial Regulation and Deposit Insurance (FRDI) Bill. He said the Government is working to protect the interests of the account holders, but rumours that are being spread are the exact opposite. He said organizations such as FICCI have a responsibility to generate awareness about such issues. He said, that similarly, FICCI has a role to play in making GST more effective. He said the Government's effort is to ensure that maximum businesses register for GST. He said the more formal the system becomes, the more it will benefit the poor. It will enable easier availability of credit from the banks, and reduce cost of logistics, thereby enhancing competitiveness of businesses. I hope FICCI has some plan to generate large-scale awareness among small traders, he added. He also said that FICCI must also voice concerns, when necessary, on issues such as builders exploiting the common man.

The Prime Minister mentioned policy decisions taken in sectors such as urea, textile, civil aviation, and health, and the benefits achieved from them. He also mentioned reforms in sectors such as defence, construction, food-processing etc. He said that as a result of these measures, India's rank has risen from 142 to 100, in the World Bank "Ease of Doing Business" rankings. He also mentioned other indicators which point to the robust health of the economy. He said that the steps taken by the Government are also playing a key role in job creation.

The Prime Minister said FICCI has a key role to play in sectors such as food processing, start-ups, artificial intelligence, solar power, healthcare etc. He urged FICCI to play the role of a think-tank for the MSME sector.

President's Secretariat
14-December, 2017 17:29 IST
President of India to visit Uttar Pradesh on December 15 and 16, 2017

The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, will visit Uttar Pradesh (Lucknow and Allahabad) on December 15 and 16, 2017.

On December 15, 2017, the President will commence his engagements by paying tributes at the mortal remains of Boudh Bikshu Bhadant Pragyanandji in Lucknow. Later in the day, the President will grace the 7th convocation of Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University and inaugurate Ambedkar Bhawan in Lucknow.

On the same day, the President will reach Allahabad and pay tributes at the statue of freedom fighter Chandra Shekhar Azad at Chandra Shekhar Azad Park, Allahabad. He will also grace the 14th convocation of Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad.

On December 16, 2017, the President will lay the foundation stone of the ‘Nyaya-Gram’ project of the High Court of Allahabad, before returning to Delhi.

The President, Shri Ram Nath Kovind paying homage at the Mortal Remains of Boudh Bikshu Bhadant Pragyanandji, at Lucknow, in Uttar Pradesh on December 15, 2017. The Governor of Uttar Pradesh, Shri Ram Naik is also seen.
s20171215119438.jpg

Battle of Patparganj to Bahadur Shah Zafar’s trial: Delhi’s journey since 1803, at the click of a mouse

A 100-member team of archivists is digitising over 10 crore documents to prevent further loss. The first phase of the project is expected to be completed in two years.
Updated: Dec 14, 2017 15:11 IST
Hindustan Times
delhi-archives_e43a071a-e08c-11e7-b4c0-9346261494eb.jpg

A letter from General Lake to Zaibun Nisa Baigum dated 8 October 1802 at Delhi archives.(Vipin Kumar/HT PHOTO)

On March 9, 1858, a British court declared Delhi’s last king, Bahadur Shah Zafar, guilty of rebellion, treason and murder before exiling him to Rangoon in the then British-controlled Burma. The trial was approved and confirmed a month later by N Penny, major general commanding, Meerut division.

One hundred and fifty nine years later, the 42-day trial conducted at Diwan-e-Khaas of the Red Fort by British prosecutor Major F Harriott lies preserved word for word at the Delhi archives in the form of a hardbound book comprising 262-pages.

Apart from the handwritten trial papers, the Delhi archives is a repository of over 10 crore rare documents comprising Mughal firmans (imperial orders), maps, land acquisition award statements, jail records, manuscripts and government orders narrating the historical and political journey of Delhi since 1803.

So far accessible to only researchers, the treasure trove will soon be just a click away for those interested in the history of the national capital. An ambitious ‘digitisation and microfilming of archival records’ project started by Delhi government is underway with the target of converting 4 crore documents in the first phase by 2020.

delhi-archives_63a6d574-e08c-11e7-b4c0-9346261494eb.jpg

An official with a copy of the trial of Bahadur Shah Zafar. (Vipin Kumar/HT PHOTO)

“Some of the records are so old that they might get damaged. So, it is required to preserve them in digital and microfilm formats for posterity,” said Sanjay Garg, the chief archivist of the department of archives of Delhi government. The city government is the second repository of records from early 19th century after the National Archives of India.

Mughal firmans to land acquisition for Lutyens Delhi

In September 1803, East India Company’s forces under general Gerard Lake fought the Marathas in what is popular as Battle of Delhi, or Battle of Patparganj — named after the area now in east Delhi.The earliest documents at the Delhi archives relate to this battle. The British emerged victorious, but they allowed Shah Alam II — the blind emperor of Delhi — to issue firmans in Persian language, many of which are also preserved at the archives.

delhi-archives_25aa415c-e08c-11e7-b4c0-9346261494eb.jpg

Documents being scanned for digitisation at Delhi archives. (Vipin Kumar/HT PHOTO)

“There are different sizes of royal seals in Persian language depending on the hierarchy in the Mughal courts on the firman with gold marks,” said Ashutosh Kumar Jha, assistant archivist pointing at ‘A letter from General Lake to Zaib-un-Nisa Baigum’ dating October 8, 1802.

The transfer of power to the British crown in 1958 followed setting up of a new administration and eventually the construction of the new capital, Delhi, in 1912. The archives also have records of land acquisition during this historic shift of the national capital from Kolkata to Delhi.

“From photographs to award statements of land acquired from the owners, we have rare documents that bear testimony to how the present day Delhi came up,” said Sandeep Singh, assistant archivist. In one of the records dating March 1913, an individual named Ram Das was awarded a compensation of Rs 172, two paisa and nine annas for his 285.38 acre of land acquired by the government in Khanpur. The deal was signed by Kamruddin, revenue assistant, Delhi province.

delhi-archives_8d0ee668-e08c-11e7-b4c0-9346261494eb.jpg

Rare documents are being preserved using high-end scanners which can digitise about 50,000 pages each day. (Vipin Kumar/HT PHOTO)

Photographs, honorary titles, jail documents

The repository at the archives includes pictures of construction of historical buildings housing Parliament and Rashtrapati Bhavan in early 20th century. Originally called House of Parliament, the Sansad Bhawan was designed by the British architect Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker in 1912-1913 and was constructed between 1921 and 1927.

A poster of a debate being organised by Delhi Students’ Federation on May 29, 1937 at Arabic College Hall (Ajmeri Gate) is in the section of rare documents showing how teachers would support students’ concerns. The debate on why “the proposed scheme of educational reconstruction of Delhi University will be detrimental to the best interest of the students’ community and the cause of education in the country”, had C Eyre Walker, principal Arabic college, S Dutt, principal Ramjas College, and BB Gupta, principal Ramjas inter college among speakers.

A rare document dated April 7, 1912 is testimony to how ‘Khan Bahadur’ title was awarded to one Chaudhari Nabi Ahmed on the occasion of ‘His Majesty, the King- Emperor’s Birthday’.

delhi-archives_ead070a0-e08c-11e7-b4c0-9346261494eb.jpg

The Delhi archives is a repository of over 10 crore rare documents comprising Mughal firmans, maps land acquisition statements, jail records, manuscripts and government orders. (Vipin Kumar/HT PHOTO)

Digitising 10 crore rare documents

The digitisation project, billed as the largest in Asia, envisages digitisation of 10 crore records stored in the four specially constructed floors of the Delhi Archives building in Qutub Institutional Area. In the first phase, four crore records are expected to be ready and uploaded on the website of the Delhi archives website over a span of 30 months at a cost of Rs 25.4 crore.

The project was fist conceived in 2011 but was taken up by the incumbent government on August 31 this year. Led by Garg, a 100-member team of archivists, scholars and employers are busy with the digitisation task using computers and high-end German-made scanners.

“We have got eight scanners for now. We digitise about 50,000 pages each day,” Garg said.

delhi-archives_fd8718a2-e08c-11e7-b4c0-9346261494eb.jpg

A collection of old newspapers at the archives includes a copy of Hindustan Times, Evening News, published on September 25, 1948. (Vipin Kumar/HT PHOTO)

Once digitised, the records would be transformed into microfilms.

“The thumbnails of the records with some information would be available on the website. For higher resolutions, one has to pay,” Garg said

A welcome move

“It’s a welcome move to preserve and digitise records particularly Bahadur Shah Zafar’s trial. The public will know who sided with British and who was with revolutionaries in the first war if Independence,” said historian Rana Safvi, who has translated Zahir Dehlvi’s Dastan-e-Ghadar which comprises eyewitness account of the 1857 uprising against the British

delhi-archives_283cd2e4-e08d-11e7-b4c0-9346261494eb.jpg

An old invite of Delhi Student Federation, now DUSU (Delhi University Student Union), at Delhi archives. (Vipin Kumar/HT PHOTO)

Established in 1972, the Delhi archives is a repository of non-current records of Delhi government under the department of art and culture. It is responsible for preservation of the archives and making them available research and references.

“We are committed to make knowledge more accessible to the common people. This is an important step towards preserving our precious heritage. While digitisation will ensure preservation of documents, making them available to a larger audience through a website and outreach events will play a key role in dissemination,” said Manish Sisodia, the minister of Art, Culture and Languages said in a reply from his office.

Last edited:
2017_12$largeimg17_Sunday_2017_230602844.jpg

Photographs of Kakori martyrs displayed at an exhibition in Gohana on Sunday. Photo: BS Malik
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/haryana/tributes-paid-to-kakori-martyrs/514787.html
Our Correspondent
Sonepat, December 17

The Jan Chetna Manch today organised a three-day exhibition at Brahma Bhawan at Gohana in the district in the memory of the martyrs of the Kakori action of 1927.

Dr CD Sharma, founder of the manch, inaugurated the exhibition. A special section devoted to women warriors and freedom fighters, revolutionaries and martyrs of the Cellular Jail (Andamans) was added to the exhibition this year.

A 15-minute documentary on the Kakori action was also shown to visitors, Sharma said. He said that the exhibition was being organised for the past five years and people, particularly youths, were apprised about the supreme sacrifices made by Rajender Nath, Ram Prasad Bismil, Ashfakulla Khan and Roshan Singh, who were hanged in different jails in the country on December 17 and 19, 1927.

19-December, 2017 18:31 IST
Development with Dignity must be agenda of our nation: Vice President

Delivers 10th Annual Lecture on National Commission for Minorities

The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said that the Development with Dignity must be the agenda of our nation and bringing a bill in Parliament won't change many things unless we have political will and administrative skill. He was delivering the 10th Annual Lecture on National Commission for Minorities on the theme ‘Minorities in Nation Building’, here today. The Union Minister for Minority Affairs, Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.

The Vice President said that the notion of pluralism, inclusion and peaceful co-existence have to be the cornerstones of our governance. He further said the Minority Commission is mandated to suggest and devise appropriate measures for their socio-economic development of minorities. The Commission has the underlying principle of inclusive growth ensuring that the benefits of political democracy reach those who are likely to be left out, he added.

The Vice President said that it is the principle of ‘Antyodaya’, the empowerment of the weakest, the farthest and the smallest. He further said that India is built on the four important pillars given by our Constitution – Justice, Liberty, Equality and Fraternity, adding that, the strength of these pillars determines the strength of the superstructure, the grand India we are building. The role of minority groups in nation building has been phenomenal and they could do this because they gave predominance to their identity as Indians, he added.

The Vice President said that once “we keep the national interests at the top of our development agenda, the other factors become less important”. He further said hat equal opportunity must be given for everyone to learn, earn and grow into active citizens is crucial and we must grow into a learning society as well. “Irrespective of caste, creed, region, religion and language, we are Indians first,” he added.

The Vice President said that one must introspect and identify divisive, destructive, demeaning tendencies and aberrations. He further said that we must also collectively overcome them with grit and determination. Internal tensions are counterproductive and we must channel our rich human resources to productive ends, towards nation building,” he added.

Following is the text of Vice President’s Lecture:

“I am happy to deliver the 10th Annual Lecture of National Commission for Minorities on ‘Minorities in Nation Building’.

We have laid the foundations of our nation seventy years ago and are constantly building India on the four important pillars given by our Constitution – Justice, Liberty, Equality and Fraternity. The strength of these pillars determines the strength of the superstructure, the grand India we are building.

As Dr. Ambedkar mentioned in his closing speech of the first Constituent Assembly in 1949, “Political democracy cannot last unless there lies at the base of it social democracy. It means a way of life which recognizes liberty, equality and fraternity as the principles of life”.

Dr. Ambedkar had exhorted us to “realize the necessity of becoming a nation and seriously think of ways and means of realizing the goal”. This has been the inspiration for the governments over the last seven decades. We have tried to strengthen the four pillars and usher in social democracy by attempting to build an ‘inclusive’ nation. We recognized that ours is a country that has multiple religions, multiple languages, multiple castes, multiple tribal groups. Yet, we have a common rich heritage of over a few millennia, a common struggle for political independence and a common destiny we have chosen to follow from 1947.

We recognized that as a nation, the notion of pluralism, inclusion and peaceful co-existence have to be the cornerstones of our governance. Our Constitution-makers have given us this grand vision of what our nation should look like. In order to realize the vision, over the last seventy years, we have enacted legislations, created institutions and embarked on a continuous quest to improve the quality of social democracy.

One aspect of these efforts is to respect, protect, preserve and celebrate the diversity in our country.

Our Constitution contains numerous articles that guarantee basic freedom. Article 25 of the Indian Constitution gives to all individuals the right to practice and profess religion subject to public order and morality. Articles 29 and 30 contain provisions that safeguard the interest of minorities as far as education, language and culture are concerned.

As an institutional mechanism for ensuring that Constitutional safeguards are adhered to, the National Commission for Minorities was set up in 1992. The Commission is also mandated to suggest and devise appropriate measures for their socio-economic development. The underlying idea was to reach out to those population groups whose voice may not be heard because there are too few members in a particular group. It is felt necessary for national development that needs and aspirations of these groups, as well as, their rights and freedoms should be a part of the national discourse. It has the same underlying principle of inclusive growth and ensuring that the benefits of political democracy reach those who are likely to be left out. It is the principle of ‘Antyodaya’, the empowerment of the weakest, the farthest and the smallest.

While the State has been making its efforts to address the problems and concerns of minority groups and support their efforts towards socio-economic development, the minority groups have also been in the forefront of shaping India. In fact, they have made extraordinary contribution to the building of a vibrant, industrial India, a strong and secure India and an agriculturally self reliant India.

As I mentioned, we all share a common history of freedom struggle and during the course of that struggle, we had forged a new Indian identity. The freedom saga includes illustrious names like Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Hakim Ajmal Khan and Rafi Ahmed Kidwai, Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan and Barakatullah. We have icons like Shaheed Bhagat Singh and Bhikaji Cama, Dr. Dadabhai Naoroji and Sir Pherozeshah Mehta.

We also remember the pioneering work done by eminent academicians like Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, whom Gandhiji called “the Prophet of Education” in establishing colleges and universities. Numerous examples of colleges and universities include Aligarh Muslim University, Hamdard University, St. Stephen’s College, St. Xavier’s College, Loyola College, and Stella Maris College just to name a few.

Out of the 14 Presidents of India, five were from minority communities – Dr. Zakir Hussian, Mohd. Hidayatullah, Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed, Gyani Zail Singh and Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. Three of the thirteen Vice Presidents of India have been from the minority groups: Dr. Zakir Hussain, Mohd. Hidayatullah and Mohammad Hamid Ansari.

Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, popularly known as the Missile Man of India and the Peoples’ President, is one of India’s most respected scientists and the father of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program of India.

The field of medicine is another area in which the minority groups have made a significant contribution to the welfare and the common good of India. Many internationally recognized institutions include Jamia Hamdard University; the Christian Medical College Hospital, Ludhiana, founded by Dr. Edith Brown in 1893; the Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore, which grew out of Dr. Ida Scudder’s roadside clinics, in 1895.

The father of white revolution in India – Dr. Verghese Kurien and Jamshedji Tata who was in many ways the father of Indian industrial development were from the minority groups. The Parsis were the first to set up modern theatre in Bombay. India’s shipbuilding and steel industry owe their rapid growth mainly to the Wadias and the Tata family.

The Sikhs have made a major contribution to strengthen India’s defence capability because they constitute 20% of India’s armed forces. They are also the group that made the green revolution possible and eventually gave India much of its current home grown food security.

Among the great pioneers in various fields are Homi Jehangir Bhabha, the father of India’s atomic energy program and Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw who led the Indian forces in the 1971 war against Pakistan. Distinguished legal luminaries like Nani Palkiwala, Soli Sorabji, Nariman, to name only a few, also belong to the minority groups.

Our country is richer because of the contributions to art and architecture, music and dance made by various groups. Our heritage dotted with temples, mosques, churches, Viharas, Stupas, Gurudwaras and monasteries is a fascinating tapestry of human excellence.

The role of minority groups in nation building has been phenomenal. They could do this because they gave predominance to their identity as Indians. We all have multiple identities based on our religion, language, caste, creed, gender and a number of other aspects. If we can relegate them to the background and say proudly that we are Indians first, true national development will take place. If the other identities surface, there is a potential wall that is built. These narrow domestic walls need to be dismantled, as Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore reminded us. Irrespective of caste, creed, region, religion and language, we are Indians first.

However, this does not mean we have to abandon our roots, our individual languages and beliefs. Far from it. We should nourish them because they nourish us. In the Indian world view, there is an inherent respect for diversity. We believe that we are one nation because the bonds that bind us together are stronger than the differences between ourselves. However, occasionally we tend to magnify these differences and that erodes social cohesion and progress towards national development. Once we keep the national interests at the top of our development agenda, the other factors become less important. This is exactly what the visionaries and stalwarts I mentioned did. They had the courage to dream big for the country they lived in. They left an indelible mark on the country they loved. This is the emotional bond that needs to be further strengthened.

Ours is the largest democracy and our Constitution contains an incredibly inclusive vision of our nation.

We have a duty to translate this caring and sharing vision into a reality by co-opting all groups, however small, in the task of nation building.

Equal opportunity for all to learn, earn and grow into active citizens is crucial.

We must grow into a learning society as well.

We must introspect and identify divisive, destructive, demeaning tendencies and aberrations. We must collectively overcome them with grit and determination. Internal tensions are counterproductive.

We must have the wisdom to amicably live together and grow together.

We must channel our rich human resources to productive ends, towards nation building.

Development with Dignity must be the agenda of our nation. Bringing a bill in Parliament won't change many things. We need political will and administrative skill.

Anybody who is taking the path of terror is not human. Terrorism in any form is no acceptable.

We think in terms of the upliftment of the poorest of the poor.

Secularism is safe in India not just because of the constitution. It is part of our DNA. We inherited it from the vedic days.

Our country has no history of attacking anyone. India was the knowledge center of the whole world. We believe in the philosophy of harmony. We must tell our youth about our past. Unless everyone contributes country cannot prosper.

I congratulate the National Minorities Commission on its commendable work and wish it continued success in its efforts to reach out to all the minority groups and creating favourable conditions for their active involvement, participation and contribution to the nation.

Jai Hind.”

The Union Home Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh chairing a meeting to review the functioning of Freedom Fighters and Rehabilitation (FFR) Division of Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), in New Delhi on December 18, 2017. The Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir, the Union Home Secretary, Shri Rajiv Gauba and senior officers of the MHA are also seen.
s20171218119595.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu lighting the lamp at an event to release the Commemorative Postage Stamp on Late Shri Banarsi Das Gupta, organised by Banarsi Das Gupta Foundation, in New Delhi on December 18, 2017. The Union Minister for Women and Child Development, Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171218119599.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu at an event to release the Commemorative Postage Stamp on Late Shri Banarsi Das Gupta, organised by Banarsi Das Gupta Foundation, in New Delhi on December 18, 2017. The Union Minister for Women and Child Development, Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171218119598.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu releasing the Commemorative Postage Stamp on Late Shri Banarsi Das Gupta, organised by Banarsi Das Gupta Foundation, in New Delhi on December 18, 2017. The Union Minister for Women and Child Development, Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171218119600.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressing the gathering after releasing the Commemorative Postage Stamp on Late Shri Banarsi Das Gupta, organised by Banarsi Das Gupta Foundation, in New Delhi on December 18, 2017. The Union Minister for Women and Child Development, Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171218119601.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressing the gathering after releasing the Commemorative Postage Stamp on Late Shri Banarsi Das Gupta, organised by Banarsi Das Gupta Foundation, in New Delhi on December 18, 2017.
s20171218119602.jpg

The Union Minister for Women and Child Development, Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi addressing an event to release the Commemorative Postage Stamp on Late Shri Banarsi Das Gupta, organised by Banarsi Das Gupta Foundation, in New Delhi on December 18, 2017.
s20171218119603.jpg

The Director General, National Gallary of Modern Art, Shri Adwaita Gadanyak along with the Chief Guest Shri Satish Gujral lighting the lamp to inaugurate an exhibition entitled ‘The 100th Birth Anniversary Exhibition and Celebration: DHANRAJ BHAGAT (1917-1988)’, in New Delhi on December 20, 2017.
s20171220119700.jpg

The Chief Guest Shri Satish Gujral and the Director General, National Gallary of Modern Art, Shri Adwaita Gadanyak at the inauguration of an exhibition entitled ‘The 100th Birth Anniversary Exhibition and Celebration: DHANRAJ BHAGAT (1917-1988)’, in New Delhi on December 20, 2017.
s20171220119701.jpg

Last edited:
The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu at the 2nd Global Sai Summit, in Shirdi, Maharashtra on December 23, 2017. The Guardian Minister of Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, Prof. Ram Shinde and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171223119794.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu lighting the lamp at the 2nd Global Sai Summit, in Shirdi, Maharashtra on December 23, 2017. The Guardian Minister of Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, Prof. Ram Shinde and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171223119795.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu releasing the commemorative Postal Stamp, at the 2nd Global Sai Summit, in Shirdi, Maharashtra on December 23, 2017. The Guardian Minister of Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, Prof. Ram Shinde and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171223119796.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu at the 2nd Global Sai Summit, in Shirdi, Maharashtra on December 23, 2017. The Guardian Minister of Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, Prof. Ram Shinde and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171223119797.jpg

s20171223119798.jpg

s20171223119799.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressing the 2nd Global Sai Summit, in Shirdi, Maharashtra on December 23, 2017.
s20171223119800.jpg

The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu addressing the 2nd Global Sai Summit, in Shirdi, Maharashtra on December 23, 2017. The Guardian Minister of Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, Prof. Ram Shinde and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20171223119801.jpg

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...-role-in-freedom-struggle/article22445480.ece

Releases book on revolts against the British prior to 1857

The revolt by Indians against the British prior to 1857 is not known to many, more so, about the freedom movement prevalent in the Andhra region.

Throwing light on this aspect, historian Prof. K.S.S. Seshan brought out a book, Early anti-British revolts in Andhra, 1766-1857, which was unveiled at the Indian History Congress held at Jadavpur University, Kolkata recently. The book was released by Prof. Irfan Habib, considered a doyen among historians.

The work compiles the numerous struggles carried out in the Andhra region against the British, much before the outbreak of the 1857 sepoy mutiny. “The book deals with such early revolts from the time the Company started acquiring the Andhra region in 1766,” Prof. Seshan told The Hindu.

The revolt had its roots mostly in disproportionate revenue sharing or the lack of respect shown by the Company for local chieftains. In the Circar region, the Zamindars revolted over the quantum of revenue, while the rebellion of minor Zamindars in the agency area was a result of the Company's utter disregard to them.

The Chittoor Palegars raised a banner of revolt with the dispossession of Arcot Nawabs. “The Wahabi movement and the role of Rasool Khan, the Nawab of Kurnool, the courage with which the Hyderabad prince Mubarez-ud-Daulah conspired, though unsuccessfully, against the British and the valour of Uyyalawada Narasimha Reddy against the Company armies in 1846 serve as inspiring examples for posterity,” Prof. Seshan explained.

The work also highlights the Visakhapatnam, the Mominabad and the Bolaram mutinies, which are examples of the courage of conviction of the native sepoys in the British army.

A former professor and head of history at the University of Hyderabad, Prof. Seshan hails from Chittoor district and obtained his Ph.D. from Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati. He also taught at Besant Theosophical College, Madanapalle and founded the history department at Assam Central University, Silchar, before moving to Hyderabad.

An executive member of IHC, the highest body of professional historians in India, Prof. Seshan feels that the book captured and projected the rebellious spirit of the natives against colonial injustices, both on civil and military fronts.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/haryana/khattar-may-visit-1857-martyrs-village-on-r-day/529044.html

Deepender Deswal
Tribune News Service
Hisar, January 15

Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar is likely to attend the Republic Day function at Rohnat village in Bhiwani district.

Rohnat is known as the village of martyrs. Several residents had sacrificed their lives in the First War of Independence in 1857.

The residents have stopped celebrating the Independence Day as well as Republic Day functions long time back. The villagers said the successive governments had not been able to undo the injustice done with them by the Britishers during the 1857 revolt.

“Even after 70 years of Independence, we have been suffering the repercussions at the altar of supreme sacrifice made by our ancestors who revolted against the British Raj and declared themselves independent,” said octogenarian Amir Singh, a former sarpanch of the village.

The village which took part in the 1857 revolt was punished by the British Raj and stripped the entire village population of their landholdings besides, unleashing the tyranny on men who were crushed under the road rollers.

Ravinder Singh, a youth from the village, said, “The village had to face the brutal retaliation from the British Raj after our ancestors had participated in the first war of Independence. During the revolt, villagers attacked English officers in Hansi and Hisar and got several prisoners freed from jail. On July 20, 1858, the British Raj declared the entire village as rebel. As a punishment, the government auctioned nearly 22,656 bighas of village land for Rs 8,100,” he said.

He said that they met the Chief Minister who had agreed to unfurl the National Flag in the village on Republic Day.

Historical evidence suggested that the British government killed a number of men of the village by crushing them under the road roller on a road near Hansi town, which is still known as ‘laal sadak’. The entire agriculture and residential land was auctioned barring a pond measuring 13 bighas and 10 biswa. The Raj had also imposed a ban on the local residents for repurchasing the land. Though the ban was lifted after Independence and many villagers had purchased back nearly 65 per cent of the land from owners.

Bhiwani City Magistrate Mahesh Kumar said the Chief Minister’s visit to the village was proposed on January 26. “We are geared up for the visit as various development works would be carried out in the village soon,” he added.

The Vice President of India Shri M Venkaiah Naidu has said that Untouchability is the real enemy of humanity and helping the poor is real patriotism. He addressed the All India Telugu Association event in Chennai today commemorating 258th birth anniversary of Veerapandiya Kattabomman & 250th Jayanti of Sadhguru Thyāgarāja. Tamil Nadu Governor Shri Banwarilal Purohit, Shri P. Balakrishna Reddy, Minister for Youth Welfare and Sports Development of Tamil Nadu and other dignitaries were present on the occasion.

The Vice President said that Veerapandiya Kattabomman, one of the earliest freedom fighters, had courageously fought against the British in the 18th century. His saga of valiant resistance and indomitable courage continues to inspire all of us even today. Kattabomman exemplifies the qualities of courage and conviction, he said.

Veerapandiya Kattabomman (a.k.a.Veerapandya Katta Brahmana) was an 18th-century Palayakarrar and chieftain from Panchalankurichi in Tamil Nadu, India. He refused to accept the sovereignty of the British East India Company and waged a war against them. He was captured by the British with the help of the ruler of the kingdom of Pudukottai, Vijaya Raghunatha Tondaiman, and was hanged at at Kayathar on 16 October 1799

Veerapandiya_Kattabomman_postage_stamp.jpg

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/ha...-wife-cremated-with-state-honours/533617.html
Posted at: Jan 25, 2018, 12:09 AM; last updated: Jan 25, 2018, 12:09 AM (IST)
Freedom fighter’s wife cremated with state honours
Kaithal: Sumedha, wife of freedom fighter Baldev Singh Sheoran, was cremated with state honours at Karnal road crematorium here on Wednesday. Ravinder Malik paid floral tributes on behalf of the district administration and handed over the Tricolour to her kin. A contingent of the Haryana Police sounded the bugle and fired shots in the air as a mark of respect. OC

The Minister of State for Culture (I/C) and Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr. Mahesh Sharma releasing the Book “Patriotic Pilgrimage of India”, Pulisher: Prabhat Prakashan, in New Delhi on February 09, 2018. The Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan and other dignitaries are also seen.
s20180209121840.jpg

The Minister of State for Culture (I/C) and Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr. Mahesh Sharma addressing at the release of the Book “Patriotic Pilgrimage of India”, Pulisher: Prabhat Prakashan, in New Delhi on February 09, 2018. The Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan and other dignitaries are also seen.

s20180209121841.jpg

The Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan addressing at the release of the Book “Patriotic Pilgrimage of India”, Pulisher: Prabhat Prakashan, in New Delhi on February 09, 2018. The Minister of State for Culture (I/C) and Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr. Mahesh Sharma is also seen.

s20180209121842.jpg

on February 4 when the Pakistani Army fired a laser-guided, anti-tank missile. Barood Post caved in, taking with it a team of four soldiers, headed by 22-year-old Captain Kapil Kundu. They had all been inside the post at the time of the shelling. Three personnel were killed immediately, while the fourth succumbed later in hospital.

The Indian Army’s twin posts, the ‘Barood Post’ and the ‘Cheer Post’, are well hidden under natural foliage on a slope with a dense tree line. From their perch, the soldiers could look straight into the Pakistani army posts manning a village in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (Azad Kashmir).

‘Barood Post’ was also near the revered mazaar (shrine) of Pir Allah Dittashah Tarkundi. No one knows much about the saint except that his grave is reportedly over 200 years old. No liquor is consumed around the shrine as a mark of respect. The shrine survived unscathed in the shelling. “That blood was spilt here is not a good sign,” said Khursheeda Jan, 47, who lost her house in the shelling.

Located just behind the Army fence, the holy site is out of bounds for now. Earlier, the Army would open the drop gates of the fence on Thursdays to allow devotees into the mazaar. But following the attack, even the road leading up to Tarkundi’s last village is closed to civilians and journalists

Sayed Ghulam Ali Shah Mashadi is known as Baba Ghulam Shah Badshah. His forefathers belonged to Mashad Iran that is why he was called Mashadi. His grandfather "Peer Yar Ali Shah" (famously known as Tahir Prinda) migrated from Mashad (Iran) during mid fifties of 16th century

Baba Ghulam Shah Badshah remained for about 41 years at Shahdara Sharief between 1765 AD to 1806 AD and meditated in solitude, He left for his heavenly abode in January 1806 A.D i.e. 1226 Hijri

There is a large graveyard which tells the story of this important settlement of Mashadi Sayeds since 14th century AD periods till date.

92435215520172035893.jpg

SainNizam -Ud-Din, Popularly known as SainChalla belonged to Khatana clan of Gujjar community. In seventeenth century SainChalla become a servant with a Manyal Rajput family from Dalogra in Rajouri.

ziarat3.jpg

IMG-20180210-WA0023dg

Vengum Periya Wodaiyana Tevar of Sivaganga, who was deported by the British in 1802

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...hters-banished-from-india/article22718009.ece
73 rebels from T.N. were sent to Penang by the British 216 years ago
February 11, 1802 may not hold any historical significance for many. However, that day marked a significant event in the history of the freedom movement.

It still evokes poignant memories for many in southern Tamil Nadu, as they recall how 73 freedom fighters – who were deported to the Prince of Wales Island, Penang, on the charge of assisting rebellious fighters such as Veerapandiya Kattabomman and the Marudu Brothers – were hanged by the British East India Company.

“Early in February, 1802, the enemy sent all these condemned rebels to Tutukudi (present day Thoothukudi) and placed them under the military custody of Col. James Welsh,” writes historian K. Rajayyan in his book, South Indian Rebellion-The First War of Independence.

Vengum Periya Wodaiyana Thevar of Sivaganga; Doraiswamy, the son of Chinna Marudu; Jagannatha Ayyar, rebel amildar of Ramnad; and others had been listed as the ‘chief rebels’.

“They were the first Indian freedom fighters to be deported to an unknown foreign land. Three of them died even before the deportation,” says former IAS officer Rajendran.

A melancholic expression

Col. Welsh, a friend-turned-foe of the Marudu brothers, described the event in his book Military Reminiscences. “I had the melancholy satisfaction of lightening the chains of Dora Swamy, the only surviving son of my poor quondam friend, Cheena Murdoo, a youth of about fifteen, condemned to perpetual banishment. With a mild and dignified resignation, this amiable young man bore his cruel fate without a murmur; but such was the melancholy expression in his fine countenance, that it was impossible to see and not commiserate him,” Welsh wrote.

But what continued to haunt Welsh was his chance encounter with Doraiswamy at Penang in 1818. “I received a sudden visit from a miserable decrepit old man.I demanded his name ...he uttered the word “Dora Swamy”. It came like a dagger to my heart.”

Mr. Rajendran said Doraiswamy was allowed to enter India. “But he never landed in Sivaganga. He died of severe stomach pain at Madurai in 1823.”

Back
Top Bottom