What's new

Vietnam ordered stealth destroyers P28 of India

Average carrier battle group speed is 18-22 knots only. Mate you need to go through past threads to understand the ASW warfare basic concept. How a frigate does the sweeping and back, again sweeping & back is which require these boats to have superior flank speed compared to rest of the fleet. Hope that clarifies.

Carrier have average transit speed of 14-18 knots. Their operational speed is much higher.

Corvette do not do sweeps at such high speed. You are talking about two different scenarios.

Well it was about 8 months ago when I was told that these 3 naval vessel types are on the discussion table with Vietnam.

1. Modified Kamorta
2. Modified Saryu
3. High speed patrol vessels.

And one thing is for sure, Vietnam was looking for a good multipurpose frigate. So it could be either a modified Saryu or a modified Kamorta.

Not yet. This is the only source.
http://www.todaynews24h.com/tag/vietnam-ordered-stealth-destroyers-p28-of-india/

January 9, 2016

Kamorta has a pathetic loadout TBH. Or its one super-sized corvette. Either way, Vietnam is better off sticking to known quantities of Korea, Spain, France, Italy etc.

It has been discussed to death that it is a frigate size vessel with a corvettes armaments for Indian Navy. But the platform can be modified, as is being done in the PHs case.

Further it was built for 32cell VLS which hasn't yet been installed.

It can fire Klubs from its torpedo tubes.

have already given you the power rating, what more do you require ?

Shivalik has 2 16PA6-STC engine which gives it a total power of 10,296 kW and the ship weights 6,200 tons. Do you beleive it can go at 30 knots ?

Kamorta has 4 12PA6-STC engine which gives it a total power of 15,552 kW and the ship only weights 3,400 tons.

And you want to believe it can only go at 24 knots ?

You want to believe "sources" more than your common sense ?

The first ship was tested at 28+ knots...

I would rather trust the laws of Physics that media reports. How about you ?

I am not much into technicalities.... but its a fact that the first ship was tested at that.
But yes, with the power it has, it should certainly get to that .

I am not much into technicalities.... but its a fact that the first ship was tested at that.
But yes, with the power it has, it should certainly get to that .

IN Test reports are classified. Its media reports that are available for public speculation.

IN Test reports are classified. Its media reports that are available for public speculation.
And that's why I don't have a document to prove that the test were carried out at 28+ knots. But the person who conveyed this to me is surely reliable. [That person had hinted me that IAF was impressed with S400 in the last joint exercise in Russia, a year later we saw that things started to move for its acquisition.:D]

Kamorta has a pathetic loadout TBH. Or its one super-sized corvette. Either way, Vietnam is better off sticking to known quantities of Korea, Spain, France, Italy etc.
This has been discussed to death brother and utterly refuted:

The Indian Navy was happy with these ships in the following role until its transition into an aspiring blue water navy. They realized that these ASW corvettes needed to be replaced by a ship which overcame all the drawbacks of the existing class. They also needed a ship which would be equally effective in the littorals as well as in the deep oceans. This resulted in the development of the Kamorta class corvette. The Kamorta would offer the following performance enhancements over the Arnala class.
  • Thrice the displacement, resulting in more space for weapons and sensors
  • Provision of hangar and helipad for an ASW helicopter
  • Advanced radars and sonars
  • Long endurance, enabling it to operate in blue water
  • Ultra quiet propulsion and engines
  • High standard build quality

The Kamorta class has been designed for the sole purpose of hunting submarines. It has a displacement of 3400 tons, a length of 109 m and a beam of 13 m. These dimensions are comparable to that of a frigate as the Kamorta has been designed for blue water ops as well. The Kamorta is touted by the Indian Navy as having over 90% indigenous content. The steel and composites which have been used in construction are indigenously made along with a majority of the weapons and sensors. It is powered by 4 Pielstick diesel engines generating 3888 kW each, which drive 2 controllable pitch propellers via the gearboxes. Each ship has a crew of 150 sailors and 15 officers and a very ergonomic design which focuses on crew comfort.

It has the following advanced design features which make it a suitable platform for submarine hunting.

• X-form hull with sloped superstructure sides which reduce radar cross-section and make it very stealthy.
  • Raft mounted gearbox and engines, which damp the vibrations and reduce the acoustic signature of the ship. This is important to remain undetected from hostile submarines.
  • Range of 6500+ km at 18 kts ( 33km/hr) which allows long deployments
  • Combined Diesel and Diesel (CODAD) propulsion for quiet and efficient running of the ship

xfor.png

X-form hull to deflect radar

You can see from this that special emphasis has been laid on reducing the acoustic signature of the ship as much as possible. This is very important while it is searching for hostile submarines. The Kamorta needs to detect the submarines and engage them before it itself is detected and engaged.

The Indian Navy needed a ship which has the armament of a 1200 ton corvette and the endurance of a 3400 ton frigate

The Kamorta is not under-armed, but over-sized
There is a widespread misconception that the Kamorta is poorly armed for a 3400 ton ship. But it is very wrong to look at things like that at face value without understanding the logic and naval doctrine for behind them. The Indian Navy needed a ship which has the armament of a 1200 ton corvette and the endurance of a 3400 ton frigate. Basically it is not under-armed, but over-sized. By 2017, it is expected to receive its SAM package consisting of 16-32 VL-Mica missiles which have a range of 15 km and an active seeker. This missile can intercept sea-skimming and supersonic cruise missiles and protect the Kamorta class from submarine launched cruise missiles.

https://defencyclopedia.com/2015/09...sis-of-indias-deadly-anti-submarine-corvette/

Small pocket destroyers bro, don't think too much, lets get confirmation first.

Well it was about 8 months ago when I was told that these 3 naval vessel types are on the discussion table with Vietnam.

1. Modified Kamorta
2. Modified Saryu
3. High speed patrol vessels.
A modified version of the IN's Saryu class OPVs will be far more affordable:

INS%2BSARYU%2B2-737231.jpg

INS_Sumitra.jpg

And GSL has proposed a modified 105 metre version for the export market:

GSL-Designed%2B75-metre%2BNOPV-2.jpg

But it all depends on what the VN is looking for, the modified Saryu class will offer a decent "bang for buck" with all modern ammenities and with high endurance.

I will thank indian navy for this news,they are the one nd only armed wing of indian military trusted indigenous weapon plat form. Now we started harvesting the fruit of that plant seeded by indian navy.

Headlines should be
Vietnam interested in stealth corvettes P28 of India
As this is only source of this news.
That picture is of the P-15B class Destroyer (under construction) that will displace >8,000 tons, the P-17A are frigates based on the Shivalik class:

bharatastra%2Bp17a.jpg
P15B will not be more than 8000 tonnes but mentioning 7400 tonnes.
Well said .
It would basically be part of the Carrie battle group providing anti submarine capabilities so there would less need of aforementioned weapon systems. IN has always been quite specific about its weapon systems.
The question for customization is that the installation of VLS will require extensive modifications in superstructure of the ship and I don't think vietnm will have that much buget for the program.
That won't cost much, recently GRSE offered a stealth frigate to PhN which will cost less than 300m dollar with weapons like 8 BrahMos & a good SAMs.
A dedicate submarine can track another submarine far more efficiently than a dedicated corvette, more so if its nuclear. Especially if its supported by air assets. P-8I are force multiplies though they can act as stand alone platforms when required.
Corvettes are much more efficient than MPAs for ASW.
I have long called on, our navy shall acquire destroyers, for aerial and fleet defence. maybe my voice is heard at last :D

Corvettes are much more efficient than MPAs for ASW.

Efficient maybe, but not effective. Subs are more effective. A poor choice of words by me.

Corvettes are efficient mainly due to their endurance.

Carrier have average transit speed of 14-18 knots. Their operational speed is much higher.

Corvette do not do sweeps at such high speed. You are talking about two different scenarios.
Brother carrier do Flank speed while transiting, while engaged with exercise or battle they go at 18-20 knots while can go much higher speeds while launching the jets in favourable winds. Operational speed is always lower than operation speed engaged in actual warfare. And exactly corvettes don't do sweeping at such high rate that is why frigates play the role with the help of active towed sonar. They go fast forward laying down the wire, then cover the area proportional to length in very slow speed backward direction(angled backward). That is how they detect the subs lurking in either upper layer of water or lower layer of water in sea.

Brother carrier do Flank speed while transiting, while engaged with exercise or battle they go at 18-20 knots while can go much higher speeds while launching the jets in favourable winds. Operational speed is always lower than operation speed engaged in actual warfare. And exactly corvettes don't do sweeping at such high rate that is why frigates play the role with the help of active towed sonar. They go fast forward laying down the wire, then cover the area proportional to length in very slow speed backward direction(angled backward). That is how they detect the subs lurking in either upper layer of water or lower layer of water in sea.

Flank speed is faster than fast speed. It is literally the fastest speed the ship can possible be made to go. Its only used during emergency operations.

During flight operations an aircraft carrier has to keep about 30 kts to for flight deck operations to increase wind over deck to provide safe minimum for aircraft's.

Last edited:
Average carrier battle group speed is 18-22 knots only. Mate you need to go through past threads to understand the ASW warfare basic concept. How a frigate does the sweeping and back, again sweeping & back is which require these boats to have superior flank speed compared to rest of the fleet. Hope that clarifies.
good to see your posts after long time.how you doing mate?

Back
Top Bottom