What's new

Vietnam, China back South Korea’s opposition to Japan’s UNESCO bid

VALKRYIE

Reaction score
Country
Canada
SEOUL – Vietnam and China have voiced their support for South Korea’s opposition to Japan’s bid for a UNESCO World Heritage listing of historical industrial sites, Yonhap News Agency reported Thursday.

During a meeting with Vietnamese defense chief Phung Quang Thanh in Hanoi on Thursday, South Korean Defense Minister Han Min-koo asked for the country’s “understanding and support for Seoul’s effort to stop Japan’s drive,” according to Yonhap.

“In response, the Vietnamese minister expressed his empathy with the shared painful history, and vowed to deliver Seoul’s request to its relevant department,” the South Korean Defense Ministry said in a release.

In a report from Beijing earlier Thursday, Yonhap quoted Na Kyung-won, chairwoman of South Korea’s National Assembly Foreign Affairs Committee, as telling a group of South Korean reporters on Wednesday that Chinese officials have expressed their common support for South Korea’s opposition to the listing.

“The Chinese officials told us that they fully support our stance with regard to the issue of Japan’s bid for UNESCO World Heritage,” she was quoted as saying.

Na met with Fu Ying, chairwoman of the Foreign Affairs Committee of China’s National People’s Congress, and Chinese Foreign Ministry officials in Beijing on Wednesday.

A UNESCO advisory panel has recommended listing the “Sites of Japan’s Meiji Industrial Revolution” as a World Heritage site, endorsing all 23 facilities proposed by the Japanese government, the Japanese Cultural Affairs Agency said earlier this month.

The South Korean government has expressed opposition to the listing, saying seven of the facilities included in the proposal involved the use of a total of 57,900 conscripted Korean laborers.

Japan says the period covered by the sites is from the 1850s to 1910, which differs from the period covered by the “requisition of civilians” from the Korean Peninsula, its historical status and its background.

Japan and South Korea, at talks held in Tokyo last Friday, failed to bridge the gap over the issue but agreed to continue discussions.

The World Heritage Committee will meet in Germany in July to decide whether to register the Japanese industrial sites, including a shipyard, a machinery factory and a coal mine.

Vietnam, China back South Korea's opposition to Japan's UNESCO bid | The Japan Times

A wise and righteous decision of Vietnam!
Hope countries like India, the Philippines, Singapore ... and in particular USA will do the same, doing the right thing!

images

Ancient Chinese Horticulture - Penzai

wot!!on PDF viets keep yelling that vietnam and japan is forming some kind of 'alliance' to 'deal' with China? :eek:

and Japan just got back stabbed```how ironic ``my my

:rofl: now this is what i call humor (which is a rare feat. coming from VCP)

Why Vietnam
from the news, the defence minister expresses his support and wants to discuss with other members of the government. so it is just his personal opinion and view yet. it is too early to tell. I wonder why all parties now say otherwise.

Technically,till ww2,Korea was part of Japan.there is no denying the fact about Korean conscription, but is that the only reason for opposing,or some other reasons?

from the news, the defence minister expresses his support and wants to discuss with other members of the government. so it is just his personal opinion and view yet. it is too early to tell. I wonder why all parties now say otherwise.

Some of our friends here who normally have negative views of Vietnam are now jumping in joy at the release of this article. Little do they know that Japan's relationship with Vietnam is all encompassing and we won't take it personal if the Vietnamese choose to disagree on this socio-historical disourse. I think they fail to realize in the meaning of the term 'Comprehensive Strategic Relationship' between Japan and Vietnam.

Bless their hearts!

LOL

Some of our friends here who normally have negative views of Vietnam are now jumping in joy at the release of this article. Little do they know that Japan's relationship with Vietnam is all encompassing and we won't take it personal if the Vietnamese choose to disagree on this socio-historical disourse. I think they fail to realize in the meaning of the term 'Comprehensive Strategic Relationship' between Japan and Vietnam.

Bless their hearts!

LOL
well said. don´t forget the defence minister is not only a Army General, but a diplomat. What should he response if the guest from South Korea asks him to support a matter that concerns other important nation in the region. Japan? Sure, he says he feels sympathy and expresses support.

but nevertheless it is a delicate matter that needs to be discussed within the government. and second, of course with Japan. last, even if supporting South Korea or not, Vietnam is just one among other 21 members of the committee, including Japan and India.

Why Vietnam

Territorial disputes and other economic, political and ethical engagements are separate issues. Vietnam seems to show the maturity of being able to distinguish between the two. I guess, morally, Vietnam wishes to stand by Korea and China. And obviously it is not a formal posture. This is in no way a political expression, as I understand it. It does not mean Vietnam and China reach an agreement over disputed islands. But from pure historical/moral perspective, it is a noble decision on part of Vietnam even at a diplomatically low-level.

Personally, I never have a negative view of Vietnam just as of any other nation across China's neighborhood. Aside from my historical moral perspective, I am state-centered developmentalist. Thus, I believe that, the better the economy of China's neighbors Vietnam included, the better China itself. There cannot be national development in isolation from the larger regional context -- save colonialism and resource theft.

Shouldn‘t Vienam side with Japan on this one? After all they invest a lot of money in Vietnam...Guess not as much as S Korea apparently

Back
Top Bottom