What's new

South Korea to donate warship to Philippines amid sea tensions

Our navy used to be much larger, as well as our air force. We just lost 30 years, however, and didn't start recovering economically or militarily until 2010. We still have to catch up to what we were 40 years ago, much less our neighbors as they are today. The US is helping us, but we have deteriorated to the point where we need to source equipment from South Korea, Japan, and Indonesia simultaneously as well as building up our own and getting from the United States.

I suppose we can thank China for the progress of rearmament we have made so far -- we were actually prioritizing industry first, but desperate times call for desperate measures. In the 70s we had our own shipbuilding, aircraft, and missile programs, because like any responsible country we were seeking to build up our own industrial capacity and R&D capabilities. But today we are buying from foreign sources with barely any tech transfer because we need these weapons as quickly as possible in great numbers. We still have local R&D, but they're taking a back seat to major equipment purchases so that we have them now rather than later
what actually happened those day ? why are you in this position now ?

Part of it was military adventurism (coup plotters among the military) -- why arm them when they would just use the hardware against the government? Part of it was the 1997 Asian financial crisis, which we had a more difficult time to recover from than our neighbors. Part of it is as Nihonjin1051 mentioned -- a breakdown in our relationship with the US. There was also a resurgence in separatism and rebellion that dictated increased funding for our ground army at the expense of the other services.

There was a spate of ship decommissionings in the 90s (around 8 frigates, I believe), because there was an expectation that we were going to get new ones soon, but the financial crisis put a kibosh on that, along with the plan to get F/A-18s to replace our F-8s and F-5s. We lost the F-8s to a volcano eruption, but they were in disuse before that -- it began to get difficult to source spare parts from the US to keep them flying (kicking them out of the bases could have had a hand in that). Much like the F-8s, although we 'retired' the F-5s in 2004, we actually stopped using them long before that.

Kicking the US out of the bases was actually a long, drawn-out process, and it came down to a narrow vote in the Senate. The votes weren't based on any lofty ideals of nationalism or loyalty/hate of America or anything like that, but rather just base opportunism by the politicians involved. The US had helped the ruling government quell a coup attempt, so some opposition senators that had supported the coup retaliated by voting to kick the US out.

But the US is now back in, the coups are a thing of the past, the economy is growing again, and we just made peace with the largest rebel movement. I'm optimistic about our near future

I also read that currently there the Philippine Air Force has no air superiority fighters in its air fleet. They retired their last batch of F-5 Tigers back in 2005 I think, so for a good 9 years now, the Philippines really had no proper air shield. I think that 12 FA-50s is a good start. I know that for a while they were considering bargaining with the United States for their used/ old F-16 A/B blocks, but cost concerns was an impediment.

Japan ASDF produces our own version of the F-16, called the Mitsubishi- F2, and perhaps, this might be a possible acquisition for the Philippines. I hope we can contribute to the Philippines ' defense posturing. They need it severely.

Here is the Mitsubishi F2:

mitusbishi_f2a_katsunorikimura.jpg

img_f2.jpg

Too expensives i think were sticking with the F50 and the Gripens but thanks but we are looking at your subs, your missile boats and your tanks and armored vechicles and small arms and your helicopters etc.

Part of it was military adventurism (coup plotters among the military) -- why arm them when they would just use the hardware against the government? Part of it was the 1997 Asian financial crisis, which we had a more difficult time to recover from than our neighbors. Part of it is as Nihonjin1051 mentioned -- a breakdown in our relationship with the US. There was also a resurgence in separatism and rebellion that dictated increased funding for our ground army at the expense of the other services.

There was a spate of ship decommissionings in the 90s (around 8 frigates, I believe), because there was an expectation that we were going to get new ones soon, but the financial crisis put a kibosh on that, along with the plan to get F/A-18s to replace our F-8s and F-5s. We lost the F-8s to a volcano eruption, but they were in disuse before that -- it began to get difficult to source spare parts from the US to keep them flying (kicking them out of the bases could have had a hand in that). Much like the F-8s, although we 'retired' the F-5s in 2004, we actually stopped using them long before that.

Kicking the US out of the bases was actually a long, drawn-out process, and it came down to a narrow vote in the Senate. The votes weren't based on any lofty ideals of nationalism or loyalty/hate of America or anything like that, but rather just base opportunism by the politicians involved. The US had helped the ruling government quell a coup attempt, so some opposition senators that had supported the coup retaliated by voting to kick the US out.

But the US is now back in, the coups are a thing of the past, the economy is growing again, and we just made peace with the largest rebel movement. I'm optimistic about our near future

You made a solid intra-analysis, and thank you for that my Firipinjin friend @Filipino . For years now, decades, your country was plagued by non-constructive internal crises one after the other. First during the 50's , there was the HUK rebellion, then the more recent NPA insurgency, the MNLF, MILF wars of separatism. And as if through historical premise of the saying, "slow but constant", the majority of the insurgencies in your country have been effectively delt with. To that, we applaud your country. I also believe that the problem with the Philippines in the last 3 decades was that the focus, for the longest time, was on internal stability and quelling internal rebellions. There was a lack of provisions by Manila to invest in external or territorial defense. I think now, there is a greater interest on Manila's part to spend on territorial defense. Slow but steady.

Wow nice try of sugar coating your anti filipino propaganda troll

Graft and corruption, i believe was the largest impediment to Philippines' development. The Marcos Administration was one of the most corrupt in the world.

But he develop the Philippines his law and buildings are still being use today

Back
Top Bottom