What's new

Usage of "Indian Subcontinent" should be banned, Say "Asian Subcontinent"

There’s nothing self-created about our history. No matter how much you claim otherwise. You dont consider yourself part of our shared heritage. When you do, you won’t find Indians denying you your place with us — unlike the Arabs 🙃

Like you said, here’s to hoping you grow up !

The great ancestral humiliation which runs deep in your society where you want to put us as "part of our shared heritage" is never going to go away as long as Pakistan and it's inhabitants stay put.

We don't go on Indian forums to debate the denial or no denial. The grown up part of you and your countrymen is that you guys roam around the Internet to tell people about the "shared history".
As I said, the great ancestral humiliation which runs in generations, will keep going on :P

Says someone with the profile picture of Tipu Sultan, a Deccani administrator. :D
Yes we know how your ilk love the history of Muslims, their valor, their accomplishments in the sub-continent. Also what does my avatar have to do with naming a sea. Tipu Sultan was a great man and his actions represent a great human story of valor and honesty with his land.

Yes we know how your ilk love the history of Muslims, their valor, their accomplishments in the sub-continent. Also what does my avatar have to do with naming a sea. Tipu Sultan was a great man and his actions represent a great human story of valor and honesty with his land.

What is my ilk ? :)

Let me inform you and your thanker @PakSarZameen47 who has a nationalism-based member name that Tipu lived in my region, the Deccan, and was a progressive internationalism-minded administrator who was much inspired by the French Revolution of the late 1700s which came about to overthrow monarchy and feudalism and he did things like redistribute land of upper caste Hindus to the oppressed lower castes. He supposedly set up the Jacobin Club of Mysore :
The Jacobin Club of Mysore was the first Revolutionary Republican organization to be formed in India. It was founded in 1794 by French Republican officers with the support of Tipu Sultan, named after the Jacobin Club in France. He planted a Liberty Tree and declared himself Citizen Tipoo.

When the Jacobin Club of Mysore sent a delegation to Tipu Sultan, 500 Mysore rockets were launched as part of the gun salute.

Francis Ripauld was elected President-Citizen, and the Jacobins declared their hatred for all kings except Citizen Tipu and loyalty to the Republic.

The British regarded the link-up of Revolutionary Jacobin forces and Indian resistance as an extremely dangerous development. In the subsequent Fourth Anglo-Mysore war in 1799 against Tipu, the British forced the surrender of French military personnel in Hyderabad, citing their "most virulent principles of Jacobinism."

In a 2005 paper, historian Jean Boutier argued that the club's existence was fabricated by the East India Company to justify British military intervention against Tipu.
If Tipu had lived he would have thrown out the non-French Europeans from India and had he lived on into the mid-1800s he would have been the one to introduce Communism among the masses of India. Even during his years look at the leftist activism in France which inspired his own Jacobinism :

In the French Revolution​

The Jacobin Club was one of several organizations that grew out of the French Revolution and it was distinguished for its left-wing, revolutionary politics. Because of this, the Jacobins, unlike other sects such as the Girondins (who were originally part of the Jacobins, but branched off), were closely allied to the Sans-culottes, who were a popular force of working-class Parisians that played a pivotal role in the development of the revolution.
And who were the Sans-culottes ?
The sans-culottes (French: [sɑ̃kylɔt], literally "without breeches") were the common people of the lower classes in late 18th-century France, a great many of whom became radical and militant partisans of the French Revolution in response to their poor quality of life under the Ancien Régime.[1] The word sans-culotte, which is opposed to that of the aristocrat, seems to have been used for the first time on 28 February 1791 by Jean-Bernard Gauthier de Murnan in a derogatory sense, speaking about a "sans-culottes army".[2] The word came into vogue during the demonstration of 20 June 1792.[3]

The name sans-culottes refers to their clothing, and through that to their lower-class status: culottes were the fashionable silk knee-breeches of the 18th-century nobility and bourgeoisie, and the working class sans-culottes wore pantaloons, or long trousers, instead.[4] The sans-culottes, most of them urban labourers, served as the driving popular force behind the revolution. They were judged by the other revolutionaries as "radicals" because they advocated a direct democracy, that is to say, without intermediaries such as members of parliament. Though ill-clad and ill-equipped, with little or no support from the middle and upper classes, they made up the bulk of the Revolutionary army and were responsible for many executions during the early years of the French Revolutionary Wars.

Political ideals​

A sans-culotte with a halberd, by Jean-Baptiste Lesueur

The most fundamental political ideals of the sans-culottes were social equality, economic equality, and popular democracy. They supported the abolition of all the authority and privileges of the monarchy, nobility, and Roman Catholic clergy, the establishment of fixed wages, the implementation of price controls to ensure affordable food and other essentials, and vigilance against counter-revolutionaries.[5]

The sans-culottes (...) campaigned for a more democratic constitution, price controls, harsh laws against political enemies, and economic legislation to assist the needy.[6]
They expressed their demands through petitions of the sections presented to the assemblies (the Legislative, and Convention) by the delegates. The sans-culottes had a third way of applying pressure to achieve their demands: the police and the courts received thousands of denunciations of traitors and supposed conspirators.[7] The height of their influence spanned roughly from the original overthrow of the monarchy in 1792 to the Thermidorian Reaction in 1794.[4] Throughout the revolution, the sans-culottes provided the principal support behind the more radical and anti-bourgeoisie factions of the Paris Commune, such as the Enragés and the Hébertists, and were led by populist revolutionaries such as Jacques Roux and Jacques Hébert.[1]

In the summer of 1793 the sans-culottes, the Parisian enragés especially, accused even the most radical Jacobins of being too tolerant of greed and insufficiently universalist. From this far-left point of view, all Jacobins were at fault because all of them tolerated existing civil life and social structures.[8]
The sans-culottes also populated the ranks of paramilitary forces charged with physically enforcing the policies and legislation of the revolutionary government, a task that commonly included violence and the carrying out of executions against perceived enemies of the revolution.

During the peak of their influence, the sans-culottes were seen as the truest and most authentic sons of the French Revolution, held up as living representations of the revolutionary spirit. During the height of revolutionary fervor, such as during the Reign of Terror when it was dangerous to be associated with anything counter-revolutionary, even public functionaries and officials actually from middle or upper-class backgrounds adopted the clothing and label of the sans-culottes as a demonstration of solidarity with the working class and patriotism for the new French Republic.[4]

But by early 1794, as the bourgeois and middle-class elements of the revolution began to gain more political influence, the fervent working-class radicalism of the sans-culottes rapidly began falling out of favour within the National Convention.[4] It was not long before Maximilien de Robespierre and the now dominant Jacobin Club turned against the radical factions of the National Convention, including the sans-culottes, despite their having previously been the strongest supporters of the revolution and its government. Several important leaders of the Enragés and Hébertists were imprisoned and executed by the very revolutionary tribunals they had supported.[4] The execution of radical leader Jacques Hébert spelled the decline of the sans-culottes,[4] and with the successive rise of even more conservative governments, the Thermidorian Convention and the French Directory, they were definitively silenced as a political force.[5]: 258–259  After the defeat of the 1795 popular revolt in Paris, the sans-culottes ceased to play any effective political role in France until the July Revolution of 1830.
The Sans-culottes of the late 1700s were almost there with the Communists of the next century and would have known that their demand for direct democracy originated in Greece in 500 BC. And that demand for direct democracy was realized as true democracy in form of the Jamahiriya system in Libya in the 1970s and existed till the NATO+GCC+Al Qaeda+"Muslim" Brotherhood invasion of 2011.

Had Tipu Sultan lived on after 1799 he would have been mixed up somewhere in all this.

@Atlas, see the linkages.

So Akram, tell me again what is my ilk. :)

What is my ilk ? :)

Let me inform you and your thanker @PakSarZameen47 who has a nationalism-based member name that Tipu lived in my region, the Deccan, and was a progressive internationalism-minded administrator who was much inspired by the French Revolution of the late 1700s which came about to overthrow monarchy and feudalism and he did things like redistribute land of upper caste Hindus to the oppressed lower castes. He supposedly set up the Jacobin Club of Mysore :

If Tipu had lived he would have thrown out the non-French Europeans from India and had he lived on into the mid-1800s he would have been the one to introduce Communism among the masses of India. Even during his years look at the leftist activism in France which inspired his own Jacobinism :

And who were the Sans-culottes ?

The Sans-culottes of the late 1700s were almost there with the Communists of the next century and would have known that their demand for direct democracy originated in Greece in 500 BC. And that demand for direct democracy was realized as true democracy in form of the Jamahiriya system in Libya in the 1970s and existed till the NATO+GCC+Al Qaeda+"Muslim" Brotherhood invasion of 2011.

Had Tipu Sultan lived on after 1799 he would have been mixed up somewhere in all this.

@Atlas, see the linkages.

So Akram, tell me again what is my ilk. :)
Thank you for elucidating Tipu's likely progression through the years. Again I am unclear on your opposition to my suggestion to name the Arabian Sea, Pakistan Sea, and its correlation to my Avatar. I am making some assumptions about your "ilk" given that which are likely highly suspect and have little basis in fact as i really dont know you.

I have as yet not followed you nor read in detail your writings so I cannot make a judgement. However the little I have read here and there, I think you make good logical arguments. Though there is an element of optimism in your writings and underlying belief in human kind. I am more skeptical about mankind, and think that Marx though correct in his analysis of the capitalistic culture's corrosiveness, did not understand the true nature of the "id" and its impact in the decision made in the short-term benefit with long term negative implications. Humans are also unitary in their thinking and often have a hard time thinking in terms of collective good. That in large measure is what capitalism thrives on, much to our collective loss as humans.

I think South Asian or Asian Subcontinent is acceptable.

Indian subcontinent is not acceptable because we are Pakistanis are not Indians.

Only citizens of the Republic of India are Indians.

Last edited:
I have not heard the word sub-continent used since 1998 when I visited abroad. Everyone uses the term Asian/South-Asian.

I can appreciate that some may see this as semantics but in reality individual identity and right of origin and self-identity are very important.

I have not heard the word sub-continent used since 1998 when I visited abroad. Everyone uses the term Asian/South-Asian.

I can appreciate that some may see this as semantics but in reality individual identity and right of origin and self-identity are very important.
Exactly. I am not an Indian. I am a Pakistani.

In some newspapers I did see some use "Asian Subcontinent." But South Asia is used more often.

Exactly. I am not an Indian. I am a Pakistani.

In some newspapers I did see some use "Asian Subcontinent." But South Asia is used more often.
Yes I can agree with this sentiment. It's like going to Bulgaria and saying they are they same as Moldovans - be prepared for a beating 😂

It's a term etymologically related to the Indus River, don't be so petty especially when most of Pakistan is Indo-Aryan and therefore yes racially Indian albeit not civically
I'm not sure how being 'Indo-Aryan' (a linguistic category) makes someone "racially Indian", by this logic; both Kalash and Sinhalese (Sri-Lankans) are racially the same as they are both Indo-Aryans.

I'm not sure how being 'Indo-Aryan' (a linguistic category) makes someone "racially Indian", by this logic; both Kalash and Sinhalese (Sri-Lankans) are racially the same as they are both Indo-Aryans.

"THE REPUBLIC OF INDIA" has no national language but their official language is "ENGLISH". Therefore, INDIANS are Celtic-Germanics / Anglo-Saxons ?????????????????????? :P :P :)

Back
Top Bottom