What's new

Do you believe in a/some spiritual Guru/Sant/Saint/Pir/Baba ?

Hi all

Just wondering, for us subcontinent lot, India and Pakistan specifically.

Here in India its fairly common for some to be bhakts (which literally translates to devotees) of some baba type (mostly) guy, but sometimes a lady saint too.

I have in my immediate, and extended family, as well as some friends etc who sorta have this strong thing about some baba/guru.. living, breathing ones, not mythological ones.

The whole holy man thing.. pretty common around here where I am at least.

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Sadhguru, Amma, Neem Karoli baba.. there's many

some say they're charlatans, others swear by them..

aapke waha bhi aisa kuch hai ?

batao

No.

I can speak about the the Islamic ones. Some of them mybe very pious people but most are fraudsters. There is no requirement in Islam to adopt a peer to attain salvation, mostly the uneducated lot become mureed of peers.

Worshipping of any creation is strictly forbidden in Islam and also goes against human logic. There is no such thing as a sacred man in Islam. A person that has no control over his or her own breathing or bowl movements and cannot even bless himself or herself, how the hell can then some idiots expect that he/she can "bless" them or you in any way, shape or form?

Polythiesm is illogical and man worship above all is disgusting.

A person however can gain followers.

There are people in Pakistan that still defend and will vote for Nawaz Sharif, Zardari etc whereas in a real Islam based system they would have been executed for their crimes a long time ago. But most of their followers have their own interests at stake so their behavior can be explained.

In Pakistan it is mostly shrine businesses where the families running shrines make lots of $$ from it. People's affinity for Islam is used by many for their own personal and nefarious reasons.

If I had any power I would demolish all those shrines and jail the families running them.
Logon ke myths and lore etc hotay hain..

Aapkay bhi hain, fantastical ones..

Hi all

Here in India its fairly common for some to be bhakts (which literally translates to devotees) of some baba type (mostly) guy, but sometimes a lady saint too.

I have in my immediate, and extended family, as well as some friends etc who sorta have this strong thing about some baba/guru.. living, breathing ones, not mythological ones.

batao
There is nothing wrong with having a guru, just like we have a maths, science or sociology teacher. There will always be people who know more than us, and we can learn from them. In this case the subject is life and existence, not physics or IT. What we should not do is confer the status of God on such people. Respect them, but do not behave slavishly in front of them. Do not allow them unbridled power and privilege.

Also, we need to understand if the guru is really walking the talk. Some gurus become too enamoured with worldly comforts and start enjoying the adulation, never pushing back.

A lot of gurus actually don't say anything useful. They just keep telling you to love god and that god loves them. To me this is not a very insightful direction.

Also, we need to understand if the guru is really walking the talk. Some gurus become too enamoured with worldly comforts and start enjoying the adulation, never pushing back.
nothing wrong with that (not corruption thats wrong but expecting a spiritual guide to act as other wordly or not like a normal human being)

- my family follows a peer who takes no money from anyone
gives out an informal lecture every week, prayers/chillas to do for his followers, gives out food to people attending his lectures irl - no beard, just regular observance of pardah like how middle-class people do nothing too crazy
had a regular job now retired, highly educated

just a normal dude who is spiritual with decent following because his chillas/ prayers work atleast according to my family, I never tried it so idk for myself

Nope, none at all. But I do believe in my teachers who taught me different subjects to live my life. :enjoy: Just not the spiritual ones, I seek my own way without any outside guidance.

Hi all

batao
This is human tendency , mostly weak minded people believe in babas , some believe in modern babas , some 1400 years old baba , some 2400 years old some 5000 years old baba .all business of weak minded people .

Bro, Guru - Shishya is for students of the whatever path. Cricket me bhi dekhne ko milta hai.. Tendulkar and Ramakant Archrekar.. Kohli ka bhi hai.. sensei type

Sensei type, martial arts teacher.. translates to "he who has gone before" .. zen type scene

I'm talking about Sai Baba.. both the old man original wala and then the Afro wala guy (who I personally think is a fraud.. but then I know people who pray to his silly afro everyday morning.. agarbatti laga ke)

for those who may not know.. here is the OG:
Shirdi_Sai_Baba_3.jpg

and here is the newer guy:
View attachment 1030122

there's countless of these here in India.

Kohli bhi gaya tha.. uska baba Neem Karoli hai:

fnvucfyagaa6oqz1.jpg

but sadly aaj fuss ho gai saari bhakti
any idea about middle east baba ?

nothing wrong with that (not corruption thats wrong but expecting a spiritual guide to act as other wordly or not like a normal human being)
I don't expect them to live like fakirs, but many of them don't like live the average joe either. For many of them there is considerable enhancement in wealth and lifestyle (living in huge ashrams, never having to face the difficulties that their own followers have to). Even this is ok, as long as they are not preaching simplicity and spartan lifestyle. Where I find dissonance is that they keep waxing eloquent about how God is fair and just, how God loves them all, when it is clear that the God loves only the babas and not many of their followers. Nothing that I have heard from any wise guru explains why there is so much suffering in the world, even for people who have done no wrong. Forget people. Even animals are creation of god. Why do so many of them die violent deaths at the hands of humans and other animals? I would rather that they admit that God is not perfect, its creation is not perfect and God does not have full control over what has been created.

This is human tendency , mostly weak minded people believe in babas , some believe in modern babas , some 1400 years old baba , some 2400 years old some 5000 years old baba .all business of weak minded people .

any idea about middle east baba ?
Saw this thread for what it is but was hoping to be proven wrong. But the hateful Bharati mind is very predictable.

This whole thing was designed to take a dig at Islam.

That 1400 years ago reference, you are challenged to prove wrong what the Creator revealed. It is that exact Criterion that we use to tell a truthful person apart from a liar. The Creator told us who He is and what He is not.

The moment I read the thread title I knew exactly what the intention was behind it. But for the sake of burning the athiests and polythiest with a fire or words, I decided to partake.

Now answer this riddle: Where did the human mind come from?

Saintism / Sufism etc. isn't part of Islam to begin with, so what's the uturn here?

This sentence and your profile picture just perfectly encapsulates the human condition. Khair! Islam is definitely part of Sufism so maybe some Sufis are Muslims and some Muslims are Sufis. For a great part of my life i thought the word Sufis was a plural like when there are more than one Sufiyans involved.

Back
Top Bottom