What's new

US announces $6B arms sale to Taiwan

sonicboom

Reaction score
US announces $6B arms sale to Taiwan

Jan 29, 3:29 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - In a move sure to aggravate China, the Obama administration on Friday announced plans for more than $6 billion in arms sales to Taiwan, the self-governing island the Chinese claim as their own.

The sale would include Black Hawk helicopters, Patriot missiles, mine-hunting ships and information technology. Lawmakers have 30 days to comment before the plan proceeds; senior lawmakers have traditionally supported arms sales to Taiwan.

Taiwan is the most sensitive matter in already-tense relations between the U.S. and China, two powers increasingly linked by security and economic issues. The sale could spark a temporary break in U.S.-China military ties.

The United States, which only told China of the sale hours before the announcement, acknowledged Friday that Beijing may retaliate by cutting off military talks with Washington, which happened after a multibillion dollar U.S. sale to Taiwan in 2008.

Wang Baodong, a spokesman for the Chinese Embassy in Washington, said Beijing will lodge a formal protest against the U.S. decision. Asked if China would cut off military ties, he said, "Let's wait and see."

China vehemently opposes U.S. arms sales to Taiwan. It has threatened to invade Taiwan should the island ever formalize its de facto independence.

The United States is Taiwan's most important ally and largest arms supplier.

The package, posted on a Pentagon Web site, dodges one thorny issue: The F-16 fighter jets that Taiwan covets are not included.

The sale satisfies parts of an $11 billion arms package originally pledged to Taiwan by former President George W. Bush in 2001, which has been provided in stages because of political and budgetary considerations in Taiwan and the United States.

The arms sale will test the Obama administration's China policy, which U.S. officials say is meant to improve trust between the countries, so that the inevitable disagreements over Taiwan or Tibet don't reverse efforts to cooperate on nuclear standoffs in Iran and North Korea and other issues.

China aims more than 1,000 ballistic missiles at Taiwan; the U.S. government is bound by law to ensure the island is able to respond to Chinese threats.

The package includes 114 Patriot missiles designed to shoot down other missiles, 60 Black Hawk helicopters, and two mine-hunting ships.

Excite News - US announces $6B arms sale to Taiwan

just thinking, say china set military base in Pakistan, can India set in Taiwan? :undecided:

i don't think so.

in taiwan...???? never...but there was a talk of setting a base in some other country...but was later scrapped....

just thinking, say china set military base in Pakistan, can India set in Taiwan? :undecided:

i don't think so.

Politically impossible. Logistically a pure nightmare.
If that happens guess what is the first target for those 1000s of missiles?

You might as well ask them to set up base in singapore. At least then they can easily chock off Malacca strait, but they have Andaman and Nicobar.

Even vietnam would have been a better option, but both quite impossible IMO. India right now needs to concentrate in playing well in it's own spheres (Pak, BD, sri lanka, S/asia)

there is diff between taiwan and tibet

tibet was a soft target for china

China protests US arms sales, warns of 'serious' impact

Updated at: 0200 PST, Saturday, January 30, 2010

WASHINGTON: China on Friday protested the US decision to sell 6.4 billion dollars in weapons to Taiwan and warned of "serious" damage to relations and cooperation with Washington.

China's Vice Foreign Minister He Yafai made an urgent official demarche to the US ambassador in Beijing, Jon Huntsman, in the early hours Saturday local time, Wang Baodong, spokesman for the Chinese embassy in Washington, told media.

"The latest US move to sell weapons to Taiwan, which is part of China, constitutes a gross intervention into China's internal affairs, seriously endangers China's national security and harms China's peaceful reunification efforts," Wang quoted the protest as saying.

"The US plan will definitely undermine China-US relations and bring about serious negative impact on exchange and cooperation in major areas between the two countries," he added.

China "strongly urges the US side to fully recognize the gravity of the issue, revoke the erroneous decision on arms sales to Taiwan and stop selling any weapons to Taiwan," he said.

China snapped off military relations with the United States for more than a year after the last US arms package to Taiwan in October 2008.

Beijing considers Taiwan, where China's nationalists fled in 1949 after losing the mainland's civil war, to be a territory awaiting reunification, by force if necessary.

The United States in 1979 switched recognition to Beijing. But Congress requires the administration to provide Taiwan weapons for defensive purposes.

Taiwan is pretty well defended as an island if you ask me !
But a determined PLA attack can still blind it.

Fine. You can keep your party with the Japanese. Unless Japanese develops capabilities to live in a third state rather than dominant or submissive, we have no idea how to work with this wild animal. Only China can give you that "leash" to you around Japanese head.

Fine. You can keep your party with the Japanese. Unless Japanese develops capabilities to live in a third state rather than dominant or submissive, we have no idea how to work with this wild animal. Only China can give you that "leash" to you around Japanese head.

'You' as in me? I don't understand your post. I was simply referring to Taiwan being well defended and capable of standing her ground against other countries in the region, meaning that if china and taiwan were united and a neighbouring country decides to attack taiwan (for what ever reason) they can probably stand their own ground without mainland help.

regards

'You' as in me? I don't understand your post. I was simply referring to Taiwan being well defended and capable of standing her ground against other countries in the region, meaning that if china and taiwan were united and a neighbouring country decides to attack taiwan (for what ever reason) they can probably stand their own ground without mainland help.

regards

You as in "US", not you as asian orphan. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom