What's new

U.S. to issue new Iran sanctions, opening shot in get-tough strategy: sources

Selling weapons and diplomatic support perhaps.

Direct intervention is unlikely, because Iran has always refused to enter any formal alliance with China or Russia. Iran is a very independent country, they don't want to join anyone's camp.

Perhaps they may change their mind about that in the coming months. If Iran wants a guarantee of direct intervention, or a nuclear umbrella, they will need to sign a mutual defense treaty.

But the best path of course, would be for Iran to develop their own nuclear weapons. The US Nuclear deal was just a stalling mechanism.

Iran's been trying to get into the SCO for a while now...
Agreed,iran should publicly state that in light of the recent hostile statements and threats by the trump regime against iran that it is reconsidering its purchase of boeing airliners and may cancel the deal.It seems stupid for iran just to put money into the pockets of its enemy.Iran should consider buying more airbuses or even seriously consider buying some tu214s

Russia and China mostly use Boeing and Airbus, why should Iran buy Tu-214. I'm not in favour of shooting ourselves in the foot just for politics.

Russia and China mostly use Boeing and Airbus, why should Iran buy Tu-214. I'm not in favour of shooting ourselves in the foot just for politics.
So you`d rather pay america billions of dollars instead right at the same time when they are threatening and sanctioning iran:what:,I`m sorry but if that isnt a perfect example of iran shooting itself in the foot then I really dont know what is:suicide:.And at least with a tu214 you wouldnt have to worry about the us turning around and sanctioning the sale of spares and other vital equipment,which is something it could very easily do with those boeings,but hey I`m sure trump wouldnt do something like that right?......right?:disagree:

So you`d rather pay america billions of dollars instead right at the same time when they are threatening and sanctioning iran:what:,I`m sorry but if that isnt a perfect example of iran shooting itself in the foot then I really dont know what is:suicide:.And at least with a tu214 you wouldnt have to worry about the us turning around and sanctioning the sale of spares and other vital equipment,which is something it could very easily do with those boeings,but hey I`m sure trump wouldnt do something like that right?......right?:disagree:

I'm against buying an inferior product like that simply because of politics. I doubt Trump would sanction Boeing, primarily because of jobs and also because it would violate the nuclear deal, which he has gone back on "tearing up".

I'm fine with buying lots of Airbuses, but it's not a great idea to rely on a single supplier, since they can exploit that or you become overly reliant. Also, this large purchase from Boeing grants Iran some influence in the US by way of the Boeing lobby.

The SCO is not a mutual defence treaty or a military alliance, it's a cooperation organisation that anyone can join. China has even allowed India to join the SCO, despite India selling out their military bases to the USA in order to contain China.

The SCO is not a mutual defence treaty or a military alliance, it's a cooperation organisation that anyone can join. China has even allowed India to join the SCO, despite India selling out their military bases to the USA in order to contain China.
I understand.

On the one hand, I would welcome a mutual defence/collective security treaty between Iran, China and a number of other countries similarly opposed to US hegemony.

However on the other hand I don't know about the legality of this for Iran, since Iran's constitution bans the establishment of foreign military bases in Iran. Perhaps such a treaty or organisation would not threaten Iran as being in a collective security alliance wouldn't necessarily mean or require foreign bases in Iran.

I would argue this is possible since the recent refuelling that Russian bombers have conducted in Iran's Hamedan Airbase is technically legal (it's an Iranian base refuelling Russian aircraft who are "in transit"). Though Russia's reveal of this did anger Iran, I suspect this is because Russia did it on its own without first consulting Iran.

I think there are more than enough moral grounds for imposing additional sanctions on Iran. Think of their massive support of terrorism in Lebanon ever since the 80s when they created Hezbollah that is now preventing a proper Lebanese government from functioning. Think also of the 20+ Shia militias in Iraq that are making sure Iraq can never have a sovereign central government of its own. On top of that, Iran is directly involved in committing war crimes against Syrian civilians.

I think that responding with sanctions is a civilized way to put pressure on totalitarian regimes that are basically out of control.

I think there are more than enough moral grounds for imposing additional sanctions on Iran. Think of their massive support of terrorism in Lebanon ever since the 80s when they created Hezbollah that is now preventing a proper Lebanese government from functioning. Think also of the 20+ Shia militias in Iraq that are making sure Iraq can never have a sovereign central government of its own. On top of that, Iran is directly involved in committing war crimes against Syrian civilians.

I think that responding with sanctions is a civilized way to put pressure on totalitarian regimes that are basically out of control.
Nobody cares what you think.

Perhaps such a treaty or organisation would not threaten Iran as being in a collective security alliance wouldn't necessarily mean or require foreign bases in Iran.

A mutual defence treaty with China won't involve any troops being based on the ground there, this has been the case with previous such treaties.

And unlike the USA (who abandoned their mutual defence treaty with the Philippines while their territory was being seized by China in 2012), China always upholds our mutual defence treaties.

For example during the 1950 Korean War, China ended up fighting against the US + 16 of her allies combined (pushing them into the longest retreat in the history of US military forces) in order to uphold our treaty with North Korea, even if we don't like North Korea.

Russia is also good about upholding their mutual defence treaties, and Pakistan would surely be interested in such an arrangement as well.

In all scenarios though, Iran would benefit the most from making sure their nuclear weapons are in working order. I don't believe America will attack Iran, since it would be a disaster for the USA. But these Americans are becoming very unstable recently, it's better to be on the safe side.

Also, Iran should let Trump focus more on China this time around. We can handle it well enough, and it will give Iran some room to develop their nuclear capabilities.

Russia is not Irans friend (take this with a grain of salt, I'm a little emotional while writing this, Russia is a friend but not as good as they can be), why is it so hard to see this. They're just opportunist (what country isn't), the Chinese are much for better for Iran politically and economically and militarily. Honestly all China needs to do is adopted a more aggressive tone and posture and clear lines. Given your situation Iran, you need a super power to open bases or ports in your country, it's as simple as that (it provides an NEEDED extra layer of detterent). But only a few and the bases won't impede on local society and life, also boundaries must be made on the freedom and operations of your allies on Iranian land (Okinawa and other US bases in Asia are just glorified brothels for the US Marines and troops to fondle the women and enjoy a vacation away from home, damn degenerates, I feel bad for Japanese and Okinawans, especially all the girls that died and are raped due to the US troops there)

I can really careless about the revolution ideology and what not. Iran needs a mutual defense treaty with China (Or Russia, but that's a stretch). And a increase in modern weapons flow (obviously under the radar and covertly since the US has not honored the deal).

Iran, you need allies, strong allies. Israel has US on its leash (we Americans are completely compromised, if Israel says jump we say how high).

Look to the east and forget the West and North.

I agree with you, so far the Russians have shown to be too scared of U.S. sanctions and have lacked any type of foresight! They get infatuated over a president that will more likely than not be gone in the next 4 years
Russia lost Iraq, Russia just stood back and watched as they lost Qaddafi & did nothing about it, they lost Yemen & did nothing & if it wasn't for Iran they would have lost Syria too!
Fact is Russia may be a military power but they are not an economical power & as long as they stand around waiting for US permission to sell their own weapons & technology they will not be one ever again!
If your not going to be loyal militarily at least have the guts to sell your own weapons or if you wanna circumvent sanctions then do covert tech transfers

China is an economic power & they are an up and coming superpower! Making a defense treaty with China makes sense in the long run! For Iran building a new silk road is the future & and for China Iran is the perfect country to prevent the US from putting a chokehold on their energy supply! They can provide a counter balance and bring stability to the region! But they would need to build Iran's Air Force & hold joint naval & air exercises together and a few J-10's aren't going to do it! There needs to be joint military projects!

Iran has 30 Islands in the Persian Gulf many of them aren't even populated! And if the Russians are willing to play ball it could be a joint Iranian, Russian & Chinese naval base

I agree with you, so far the Russians have shown to be too scared of U.S. sanctions and have lacked any type of foresight! They get infatuated over a president that will more likely than not be gone in the next 4 years
Russia lost Iraq, Russia just stood back and watched as they lost Qaddafi & did nothing about it, they lost Yemen & did nothing & if it wasn't for Iran they would have lost Syria too!
Fact is Russia may be a military power but they are not an economical power & as long as they stand around waiting for US permission to sell their own weapons & technology they will not be one ever again!
If your not going to be loyal militarily at least have the guts to sell your own weapons or if you wanna circumvent sanctions then do covert tech transfers

China is an economic power & they are an up and coming superpower! Making a defense treaty with China makes sense in the long run! For Iran building a new silk road is the future & and for China Iran is the perfect country to prevent the US from putting a chokehold on their energy supply! They can provide a counter balance and bring stability to the region! But they would need to build Iran's Air Force & hold joint naval & air exercises together and a few J-10's aren't going to do it! There needs to be joint military projects!

Iran has 30 Islands in the Persian Gulf many of them aren't even populated! And if the Russians are willing to play ball it could be a joint Iranian, Russian & Chinese naval base

I think China to provide all the technical supports for Iran's ASBM matters the most of all.

You cannot just shoot it with the bare missile, you pretty much need everything including the positioning systems, shared datalinks, etc. It is a huge complicated integrated systems. Only China can provide you the help.

I also would go far as saying that Iranian-Chinese cultural relations are more in line with each other. That would also provide a very good basis for future development. Regardless though, Iran needs to start working at a faster pace since US and Israel are more or less going to make more and more provocative moves aimed at testing Russian, Chinese and Iranian resolve.

(On a side note. China is one of my favorite cultures and people. Beautiful women, handsome men and very rich music, food, history and culture. It's just like Iran in so many ways. Thats why I always viewed Iran as an Asian country rather than a "Middle-Eastern" one.)

As always look to the east.

I think China to provide all the technical supports for Iran's ASBM matters the most of all.

You cannot just shoot it with the bare missile, you pretty much need everything including the positioning systems, shared datalinks, etc. It is a huge complicated integrated systems. Only China can provide you the help.

For within 300km we have the Persian Gulf, it's a system that's constantly being upgraded current versions use optical sensors they will likely build other versions equipped with aperture imaging radars in the future...

Also, future versions of the missile will likely take that range to 600km BUT we'll need to deploy various sensors & UAV's for target accusation & guidance so up to ~600km is something Iran can achieve on it's own if they haven't already and beyond 600km is something Iran is already working on but Iran could most definitely use Chinese help!

For Iran advancing our Air Defense's and revitalizing our Air Force is one of the top issues and I really don't see Iran accepting any major defense treaty with any country without it! And it would have to include either a joint project in the production of an Iranian 4.5-5th gen fighter or coproduction inside Iran of a Chinese fighter!

Iran has an extensive missile program & Iranian missiles are not unguided rockets. They are in no way as accurate as Chinese Missiles but they are guided & advancing the guidance system is the top priority in Iran's missile program

For within 300km we have the Persian Gulf, it's a system that's constantly being upgraded current versions use optical sensors they will likely build other versions equipped with aperture imaging radars in the future...

Also, future versions of the missile will likely take that range to 600km BUT we'll need to deploy various sensors & UAV's for target accusation & guidance so up to ~600km is something Iran can achieve on it's own if they haven't already and beyond 600km is something Iran is already working on but Iran could most definitely use Chinese help!

For Iran advancing our Air Defense's and revitalizing our Air Force is one of the top issues and I really don't see Iran accepting any major defense treaty with any country without it! And it would have to include either a joint project in the production of an Iranian 4.5-5th gen fighter or coproduction inside Iran of a Chinese fighter!

Iran has an extensive missile program & Iranian missiles are not unguided rockets. They are in no way as accurate as Chinese Missiles but they are guided & advancing the guidance system is the top priority in Iran's missile program

In order to keep your coast safe from the US carrier battlegroups, you need to at least push them away beyond 1000 km. At this moment, China can definitely offer a lot of help in order to improve your tracking distance and accuracy.

As for the J-31 and HQ-9B, China can usually provide the soft loan. Also don't forget the CH-5, a super predatory drone that can remain in the airspace for 60 hours without refueling.

In order to keep your coast safe from the US carrier battlegroups, you need to at least push them away beyond 1000 km. At this moment, China can definitely offer a lot of help in order to improve your tracking distance and accuracy.

As for the J-31 and HQ-9B, China can usually provide the soft loan. Also don't forget the CH-5, a super predatory drone that can remain in the airspace for 60 hours without refueling.

It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that Iran is indeed talking to both the Russians and the Chinese on defensive weapons transfer and joint cooperation on projects.

Back
Top Bottom