What's new

Type-212 vs Type-214 explained

i told u before show me the proof to back ur stuff if u got it then post it till then dont waste ur time

Have't you noticed yet? Why you are still giving a try?

He is trying to prove that Type-214 is as good as Type-212 since PN is going to procure it.

Without doubt Type-214 is a good submarine PN will be benifited by it.

However somehow he dont understand that Type-214 is not as good as Type-212 to fulfil his superiority complex that PN is better than IN.

If somehow IN gets Type-214 he will be the first one to come out and say Type-214 is crap.

GB

i told u before show me the proof to back ur stuff if u got it then post it till then dont waste ur time

you are the one making wild claims that PAF will get downgraded f-16s which will not be as good as basic USAF block52. I think lockheed should change the new F-16 name from Block52 PLUS to Block52 Minus.

mr growler i hav never said that the american f16 will be having some classified techs i am saying that the export version will be slightly less than the actually used by usaf

mr growler i hav never said that the american f16 will be having some classified techs i am saying that the export version will be slightly less than the actually used by usaf

so like i have said before.

Lockheed martin is lying about new block 52 F-16 and calling it block 52 plus?? according to your analogy USAF block 52 F-16 should be called block 52 plus while our cr@PY f-16s should be classified as block 52 Minus.

what a.. well all i am going to say what a indian troller which suites you the best. it defines you perfectly.

BrahMos could be fitted to the updated Gorshkov class of frigates which will be entering the Russian navy soon and the new ships will be acomadating this missile

Why would the Russians buy Brahmos when they have P-800 Oniks, alternatively termed Yakhont, 3M55 and SS-N-26, which served as the basis for the joint Russian-Indian supersonic missile the PJ-10 BrahMos. While the Brahmos missile's airframe, propulsion system, and warhead are designed in Russia, its guidance system and software is designed in India. The PJ-10 has been designed to meet the Indian Navy's requirements. I would think Russia would prefer a fully homegrown missile, i.e. a domestic Yakhont variant. Of which they are technically well capable. The question is whether there wil be funding for it.

Last edited:
mr growler if the type 214 are really so powerfull i had a que why hasnt the german navy ordered even a single type 214

Well, obviously because there is a limited budget and hence a limited number of purchases. The 212As in service - not exactly coastal subs like the 206As but nonetheless optimized for the Baltic - suffice for the job at hand and aren't worn out yet. There is no reason for the German navy to buy additional subs in the form of 214s.

Despite a run down in numbers of frigates, the russian navy hasn't ordered a single project 1135.6 frigate ... what does that say or prove, in your opinion?

Last edited:

Hi,

In 1984 or 1986, I am at a defence show in Ogden utah----I was talking to a millitary officer about the cobra gunships---he stated that some of the equipment that pak was getting was more advanced than what the u s millitary had at time---about the cobra gunships.

Now that maybe true for some of the equipment but not all of it. Weaopns systems that may not change the shape and outcome of the war maybe at par with the equipment that the americans have---but the weapons systems that may change the outcome of a conflict will be a step below----but then what do you say about the BLK 60 being sold to a middle eastern country---or sales to israel---.

Truthfully---there is a contradiction in itself somewhere---some nations may not get the top best---others may get what ever they want except for the F 22---and that may be available to japan as a down graded version.

U S congress asked this question to the pentagon---why are you selling the high end equipment to some nations---that may pose a threat to our air craft----the answer was---there is no other way around it---our allies want the best we have and they would not take no for an answer---other wise some of them would go elsewhere----this was regarding the sale of Amraam 120.

If they go somewhere else---then the pentagon would lose their influence over that millitary.

Not at all.

Type 212 is a highly advanced design of non-nuclear submarine (U-Boat) developed by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft AG (HDW) for the German Navy. It features diesel propulsion and an additional air-independent propulsion (AIP) system using Siemens proton exchange membrane (PEM) hydrogen fuel cells. The submarine can operate at high speed on diesel power or switch to the AIP system for silent slow cruising, staying submerged for up to three weeks without surfacing and with no exhaust heat. The system is also said to be vibration-free, extremely quiet and virtually undetectable.

Type 212 is the first of the only two fuel cell propulsion system equipped submarines ready for series production by 2007, the other being the Project 677 Lada class submarine designed by Russian Rubin Design Bureau.

The Type 214 is a diesel-electric submarine developed by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH (HDW). It features diesel propulsion with an air-independent propulsion (AIP) system using Siemens polymer electrolyte module (PEM) hydrogen fuel cells. It is based on features of the Type 212, but as the export version of the more advanced Type 212 submarine it lacks the non-magnetic hull (to avoid detection) and other classified technologies. Also Type 214 is more similar to the very successful Type 209 submarine, while Type 212 was an independent project of the German Navy with significant changes to Type 209.

GB
First quote in red is from: Type 212 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Second quote in red is from: Type 214 submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To which I'ld like to point out:

The Type 214 Submarine is being built by Kockums and HDW and will use two AIP (Air Independent Propulsion) systems - Fuel Cell and Stirling.
The latest additions to the German shipbuilder HDW's highly successful Type 209 family of submarines, the Type 212 (ordered by Germany and Italy), the Type 214 (ordered by Greece), and the Type 800, are all fuel cell powered.
PEM (Polymer Electrolyte Membrane) fuel cells are known for their efficient conversion of hydrogen (as fuel) and oxygen into electrical energy. Optimised for the specific requirements in submarines they are the key component for the generation of electrical energy in future conventional submarines with increased operational range during silent run built by the shipyard HDW. Siemens has developed and is manufacturing two different types of PEM fuel cell modules, one type for the German and Italian U 212 submarines and the other one for the U214 submarine respectively, as they will be used by the Hellenic and the South Korean navy.

Siemens has two types of SINAVYas PEM Fuel modules for you to choose from. The BZM 34, with a rated power of 34 kW as well as the BZM 120, with a rated power of 120 kW.
The new submarines of class U 212 A (six for the German navy, and four for the Italian Navy) are equipped with BZM 34 modules, which have been developed since 1985 on behalf of the German Ministry of Defense.
The new 209PN-class and 214-class submarines - up to now for the Hellenic Navy, Republic of Korea Navy and Prtugese Navy - are fitted with BZM 120 modules which have been developed by SIemens in a next step
http://www.industry.siemens.com/broschueren/pdf/marine/sinavy/en/SINAVY_PEM_Fuel_Cell_en.pdf

Type 214

HDW has developed the Type 214 submarine, which is a further improvement on the Type 212.
The Type 214 has an increased diving depth of over 400m, due to improvements in the pressure hull materials.
Performance of the AIP system has been increased with two Siemens PEM fuel cells which produce 120kW per module and will give the submarine an underwater endurance of two weeks.
A hull shape which has been further optimised for hydrodynamic and stealth characteristics and a low-noise propeller combine to decrease the submarine's acoustic signature.

Incidentally, Kockums is a Swedish sub-builder that has been involved in design and building of the following sub-classes:
Näcken class A14 type submarine
Västergötland A17 type class submarine
Södermanland class submarine
Gotland class submarine
Collins class Type 471 submarines, an enlarged version of the Västergötland
See: Kockums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Between 1987 and 1988 the Nacken was converted to Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) using a closed cycle Stirling engine.
See: Näcken class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The second pair of the Västergötland class submarine have undergone comprehensive refits, including the insertion of a new hull section with an AIP system equipped with Stirling engines, and have been recommissioned as the new Södermanland class. The first pair had been put in reserve until November 2005, when they were sold to the Republic of Singapore Navy. They too are to be refitted to Södermanland-class standards and receive additional climatisation for use in tropical waters.
See: Västergötland class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See also: Södermanland class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Gotland class attack submarines of the Swedish Navy are modern diesel-electric submarines. They are the first submarines in the world to feature a Stirling engine air-independent propulsion (AIP) system, which extends their underwater endurance from a few days to weeks.[1] This capability had previously only been available with nuclear powered submarines
See: Gotland class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Gotland was the world's first submarine class in operation with an air independent propulsion (AIP) system.
See: Gotland

Air-independent propulsion (AIP) was also considered for the Collins class, and the submarines were designed to be retrofitted with an AIP system. The AIP plan was cancelled in July 1996, after it was demonstrated during sea trials that during constant operations, the boat's snorkel was exposed for only a few minutes in a 24-hour period; officials from ASC claimed that any Collins class submarine spotted while snorting would be because the boat was "dead unlucky". Installation of AIP was not believed to provide enough of an improvement on this to justify the predicted AU$100 million cost.
See: Collins class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, AIP has been around for some time. What's new is the combination with PEM fuel cell technology and both 212A and 214 have that. Further, it is clear 214 is optimized for different conditions than 212 is. Also, the link to 209 may be over emphasised. Looking at the various Swedish Kockums subs, there appears a clear influence from this quarter as well. Feeding into 212A is also the 210 Ula class (German/Norwegian design). Both 212A and 214 appear to build on Dolphin class (for Israel).

Last edited:
yes we are indians and we dont throw words like u people to just satisfy ur ego i told u before if u have the proof to claim ur words
Whats the point of proving something so basic which is beyond the comprehension level of yours. satisfy my ego?
So am i right that according to your analogy... USAF f-16s should be called BLOCK 52 Plus while PAF BLock 52 should be classified as block 52 minus?

Hi,

Well---as for the 212 or the 214---their max speed where they are still silent is around 16---20 knots and that---now for the air propulsion---they can't run too long at that speed maybe few hours---or days---now compare it to the seawolf class nucler subs---which can run at 25-30 knots without being detected and plus 40 knots all day long for as long as the crew has food in the submarine---which means a minimum of 3 months---.

The non nuclear subs are good against non nuclear subs---not against the nuclear subs---I have recently done some more research on this matter and my observation and analysis after reading some stuff from professionals----the news about some swedish subs etc creating headache for the u s navy's nuclear subs maynot be true---I believe that it s a deception and a misleading statement from the americans---secondly----the american nuclear subthe current ones has so much technology----it is unbelievable---the newest generation of american sub could possibly see in front of them---they will have probes floating in front and behind thousands of yards to give them and audio and visual imagery of the ocean---.

The weapons systems----the diesel would not have enough offensive weapons to take out any older american nuclear or a russian nuclear sub of the later model. The nuc subs would have too many defencive weapons at hand to knock out any weapons launched by a diesel and would have too many offencive weapons to take out the diesel.

The diesel's may---I would say may get a shot if it is lying in wait---lying dormant for a while at a certain place that the nuc sub is going by---but it is not with certainity that the shot maybe effective for the nuc sub would have too many ways to counter the shot.

So---when the pak navy admiral stated that the indian nuc sub would take the conflict to the next level----he was not wrong---in the last two weeks what I have read---has made me change my opinion of the indian nuc sub.

Last edited:
Hi,

Well---as for the 212 or the 214---their max speed where they are still silent is around 16---20 knots and that---now for the air propulsion---they can't run too long at that speed maybe few hours---or days---now compare it to the seawolf class nucler subs---which can run at 25-30 knots without being detected and plus 40 knots all day long for as long as the crew has food in the submarine---which means a minimum of 3 months---.

The non nuclear subs are good against non nuclear subs---not against the nuclear subs---I have recently done some more research on this matter and my observation and analysis after reading some stuff from professionals----the news about some swedish subs etc creating headache for the u s navy's nuclear subs maynot be true---I believe that it s a deception and a misleading statement from the americans---secondly----the american nuclear subthe current ones has so much technology----it is unbelievable---the newest generation of american sub could possibly see in front of them---they will have probes floating in front and behind thousands of yards to give them and audio and visual picture of the ocean---.

The weapons systems----the diesel would not have enough offensive weapons to take out any older american nuclear or a russian nuclear sub of the later model. The nuc subs would have too many defencive weapons at hand to knock out any weapons launched by a diesel and would have too many offencive weapons to take out the diesel.

The diesel's may---I would say may get a shot if it is lying in wait---lying dormant for a while at a certain place that the nuc sub is going by---but it is not with certainity that the shot maybe effective for the nuc sub would have too many ways to counter the shot.

So---when the pak navy admiral stated that the indian nuc sub would take the conflict to the next level----he was not wrong---in the last two weeks what I have read---has made me change my opinion of the indian nuc sub.

but sir somewhere on the same forum i heard that PN was able to locate French Nuke sub 7 out of 8 times in exercises. Is it that we are going to hunt subs by using subs? here is something
How Does U 212 Submarine, the Supreme Silent Hunter, Operate?
The quietest submarine in the world

By Lucian Dorneanu, Science Editor

19th of June 2007, 14:59 GMT

Among the arsenal of the most advanced military superpowers, one weapon is the most feared. It's not the atomic bomb, it's even more powerful, while being almost undetectable and can launch a devastating surprise attack on almost any country in the world.

Operating underwater at pressures beyond the range of
unaided human survivability, submarines, first widely used in World War I, are used by all major navies today. They are quiet and effective, being able to operate close to the shore without anyone knowing it's there.

The supreme silent hunter in the world is the German U 212 submarine. It's not a nuclear submarine, it's a hunter one, designed to attack and sink surface vessels and other submarines. U 32 "Edenkoben" is the second Type 212A submarine of the German Navy.

Launched in 2003, the U 32 is powered by one diesel engine and an electric motor driven by two fuel cells and features a cavitation-free screw, making it harder to detect. U 32 was the first non-nuclear submarine to stay submerged for two weeks.

The fact that it uses fuel cells, with no moving parts, greatly reduces the noise output, making it virtually undetectable, compared to other diesel subs. The outer surface is covered in a special, non-reflective paint, that absorbs ultrasounds coming from the sonars of other submarines, making it as efficient as the F117-A stealth bomber, covered in roughly the same paint.

The U 212 U-boat has a displacement of 1360 tons, is 53.5 meters long and 11.5 meters high, with a diameter between 5.5 and 6.8 meters, and it's operated by a crew of 24. The fuel cells that power the electric motor are placed on the outside of the hull and are designed to explode on the outside in case of a disaster, thus minimizing the risks for the crew.

When it comes to weapons, this submarine is armed to the teeth, being equipped with 12 torpedo tubes, a towed-array sonar and a flank-array sonar, accompanied by an internal passive ranging sonar and two periscopes.

But the most feared weapon is not a torpedo. Being able to operate in shallow waters, near the shore, with a minimum depth of 18 meters, far beyond the capabilities of a nuclear submarine, the U 212 can launch the German equivalent of Navy SEAL, special forces units that can go undetected and sink docked ships, neutralize the crew or rescue secret agents when all other means failed, and all this before the enemies ever knowing what hit them.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-...nt-Hunter-Operate-U-212-Submarine-57692.shtml

but sir somewhere on the same forum i heard that PN was able to locate French Nuke sub 7 out of 8 times in exercises. Is it that we are going to hunt subs by using subs? here is something

How Does U 212 Submarine, the Supreme Silent Hunter, Operate? - The quietest submarine in the world - Softpedia

Hi,

Here is what I am learing in the last couple of weeks---doesn't make any difference---the french nuc would have a much superior defencive weapons systems against any attack on it---they will have more of them---than a non nuc sub---plus the speed of the nuc will be a major asset---. Doesnot make any difference---if it got caught 7 out of 8 times----.

The only thing that would favour the non nuc---if it is loaded with the russian shkval torpedo---.

The 212 and 214 are excellent against non-nucs---and older russian nuc subs and other surface ships.

Now if the indians have the russian shkval torpedo---then we better-----------------.

Now this is my research---people may agree or disagree---it is upto them---I am not in an argumentative mood---but I will share more about this issue in time. I believe that I may have found a mine of information just by accident.

Hi,

The non nuclear subs are good against non nuclear subs---not against the nuclear subs---I have recently done some more research on this matter and my observation and analysis after reading some stuff from professionals----the news about some swedish subs etc creating headache for the u s navy's nuclear subs maynot be true---I believe that it s a deception and a misleading statement from the americans---secondly----the american nuclear subthe current ones has so much technology----it is unbelievable---the newest generation of american sub could possibly see in front of them---they will have probes floating in front and behind thousands of yards to give them and audio and visual imagery of the ocean---.

Sure, SSNs have a greater underwater speed than SSKs. So they can transit over much greater distances much faster. But you have to consider that subs at high speed are essentially blind. And SSKs are much quieter than SSNs, which need to constantly pump coolingwater for their reactor, which gives the SSK a decided advantage in one-on-one ASW. After all, you can't kill what you can find.

Last edited:
Sure, SSNs have a greater underwater speed than SSKs. So they can transit over much greater distances much faster. But you have to consider that subs at high speed are essentially blind. And SSKs are much quieter than SSNs, which need to constantly pump coolingwater for their reactor, which gives the SSK a decided advantage in one-on-one ASW. After all, you can't kill what you can find.

Hi,

That is what I assumed in one of my earlier posts---but when I dug a little bit deeper into it---I found out that the american nuc subs like the seawolf category are wide awake even at flank speed---they have an ashtonishing array of sensors and gadgets that can keep them well informed of what is happening in the surrounding----and at quiet speed of 20---28 knots the seawolf class is silent than the los angeles class sitting in its den in the barbour. These subs have too many sensors hooked into fiber optic cables outside that can give them a visual of the environment.

Same is the case with the most recent british and the french subs---coming close to the seawolf---.

Now if we compare them to the russians----then they are light years apart---any 212 or a 214 sitting in wait can nab them from close range---unless the russians are using the shkval or nuc tipped torps.

And if you compare it to an akula class----not the best sub for modern times. The weapons and electronics warfare systems on the current german subs would be very well advanced----not selling the russians short.----but they will have a hard time keeping up.

Internal oxygen supply
History

In 1867 Narcís Monturiol i Estarriol successfully developed an early form of anaerobic air independent propulsion. In 1908 the Imperial Russian Navy launched the Pochtovy submarine which used a gasoline engine fed with compressed air and exhausted under water.

During World War II the German firm Walter experimented with submarines that used concentrated hydrogen peroxide as their source of oxygen underwater. These used steam turbines, employing steam heated by burning diesel fuel in the steam/oxygen atmosphere created by the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide by a potassium permanganate catalyst.

Several experimental boats were produced, and one, U-1407, which had been scuttled at the end of the war, was salvaged and recommissioned into the Royal Navy as HMS Meteorite. The British built two improved models in the late 1950s, HMS Explorer, and HMS Excalibur.

The Soviet Union also experimented with the technology and one experimental boat was built. Hydrogen peroxide was eventually abandoned since it is highly reactive when in contact with various metals, is volatile, and submarines had a high rate of consumption. Both the British and the Soviets, the only countries known to be experimenting with it, abandoned it when the United States developed a nuclear reactor small enough for submarine propulsion.

It was retained for propelling torpedoes by the British and the Soviet Union, although hastily abandoned by the former following the HMS Sidon tragedy. Both this and the loss of the Russian Submarine Kursk were due to accidents involving hydrogen peroxide propelled torpedoes.
[edit] Closed cycle diesel engines

This technology uses a submarine diesel engine which can be operated conventionally on the surface, but which can also be provided with oxidant, usually stored as liquid oxygen, when submerged. Since the metal of an engine will burn in pure oxygen, the oxygen is usually diluted with recycled exhaust gas. As there is no exhaust gas upon starting, argon is used.

During World War II the Kriegsmarine experimented with such a system as an alternative to the Walter peroxide system, including a variant of the Type XXVIIB Seehund midget submarine, the "Klein U-boot". It was powered by a 95 hp Diesel engine of a type commonly used by the Kriegmarine and which was available in large numbers, supplied with oxygen from a tank in the boat's keel holding 1,250 litres at 4 atm (410 kPa). It was thought likely that the boat would have a maximum submerged speed of 12 kn (22 km/h; 14 mph) and a range of 70 mi (110 km), or 150 mi (240 km) at 7 kn (13 km/h; 8.1 mph).

The German work was subsequently expanded upon by the Soviet Union who invested heavily in this technology, developing the small 650 ton Quebec-class submarine of which thirty were built between 1953 and 1956. These had three diesel engines—two were conventional and one was closed cycle using liquid oxygen.

In the Soviet system, called a "single propulsion system", oxygen was added after the exhaust gases had been filtered through a lime-based chemical absorbent. The submarine could also run its diesel using a snorkel. The Quebec had three engines: a 32D 900 bhp diesel on the centre shaft and two M-50P 700 bhp diesels on the outer shafts. In addition a 100 hp "creep" motor was coupled to the centre shaft. The boat could be run at slow speed using the centreline diesel only.[2]

Because liquid oxygen cannot be stored for any great length of time these boats could not operate far from a base. It was also a dangerous system; at least seven submarines suffered explosions, and one of these, M-256, sank following an explosion and fire. They were sometimes nicknamed cigarette lighters. The last was scrapped in the early 1970s.

The German Navy's former Type 205 submarine U1 was fitted with an experimental 3000 horsepower (2.2 MW) unit.
[edit] Closed cycle steam turbines

The French MESMA (Module d'Energie Sous-Marine Autonome) system is being offered by the French shipyard DCNS. MESMA is available for the Agosta 90B and Scorpène class submarines. It is essentially a modified version of their nuclear propulsion system with heat being generated by ethanol and oxygen. A conventional steam turbine power plant powered by steam generated from the combustion of ethanol (grain alcohol) and stored oxygen at a pressure of 60 atmospheres. This pressure-firing allows exhaust carbon dioxide to be expelled overboard at any depth without an exhaust compressor.

Each MESMA system costs around $50–60 million. As installed on the Scorpène, it requires adding a new 8.3 meter (27 foot), 305 tonne hull section to the submarine, and results in a submarine able to operate for greater than 21 days underwater, depending on variables like speed, etc.[3][4]

An article in Undersea Warfare Magazine notes that: “although MESMA can provide higher output power than the other alternatives, its inherent efficiency is the lowest of the four AIP candidates, and its rate of oxygen consumption is correspondingly higher.”[5]
[edit] Stirling cycle engines

The Swedish shipbuilder Kockums has constructed three Gotland class submarines for the Swedish Navy which are fitted with an auxiliary Stirling engine which uses liquid oxygen and diesel fuel to drive 75 kilowatt generators for either propulsion or charging batteries. The AIP endurance of the 1,500 tonne boats is around 14 days at five knots (9 km/h).

Kockums has also delivered Stirling engines to Japan. The new Japanese submarines will all be equipped with Stirling engines. The first submarine, Sōryū, in the class was launched on 5 December 2007 and were delivered to the navy in March 2009.
[edit] Fuel cells
Type 212 submarine with fuel cell propulsion of the German Navy in dock

Siemens has developed a 30-50 kilowatt fuel cell unit. Nine of these units are incorporated into Howaldtswerke Deutsche Werft AG's 1,830t submarine U31, lead ship for the Type 212A class of the German Navy. The other boats of this class and HDW's AIP equipped export submarines (Type 209 mod and Type 214) use two 120 kW modules, also from Siemens.[6]

After the success of Howaldtswerke Deutsche Werft AG's in its export activities, several builders have developed their own fuel-cell auxiliary units for submarines but until today[clarification needed] no other shipyard has a contract for a submarine so equipped.
[edit] Nuclear power

Nuclear reactors have been used for 50 years to power submarines, the first being USS Nautilus. The United States, France, the United Kingdom, Russia, the People's Republic of China, and India are the only countries known to operate nuclear powered submarines. Five of these six countries also have permanent seats on the United Nations Security Council and are the only countries allowed to possess nuclear weapons according to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. India has only in 2009 completed construction of its first domestically built nuclear submarine. India in the past has leased a Charlie class nuclear powered submarine from Russia and plans to acquire two used Akula class submarines which would be used for training purposes. Brazil is also known to research nuclear propulsion for submarine use. However, Air Independent Propulsion is a term normally used in the context of improving the performance of conventionally propelled submarines.

There have nevertheless been suggestions for a reactor as an auxiliary power supply, which does fall into the normal definition of AIP. For example, there has been a proposal to use a small 200 kilowatt reactor for auxiliary power (styled a "nuclear battery") to improve the under-ice capability of Canadian submarines.
:ejoy: :enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom