What's new

Twin tail L-15 concept unveiled

Akasa

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A few days ago, military blogs reported of China's twin tail L-15 concept. If underway, such a project would extend the L-15's potential and possibly turn it into a "mini fighter" or a close support aircraft. It would also be a good choice as a fighter trainer or a Marine Corps attack aircraft for carrier groups.

Huitong briefly mentioned that an attack aircraft based off the L-15, called the Q-6, is under development. It is not sure if this is related.

Other sources said that the L-15 is to be made into a small fighter, with a mini AESA radar. Some even say it will be carrier based.

Photo from the design screen:
10000501lit.jpg

Photos from military magazine:
10000502lit.jpg

10000513lit.jpg

10000514lit.jpg

10000525lit.jpg

L-15 is a dead project, too many foreign components pissed off PLAAF top brass. Hongdu got screwed over big by YAK.

L-15 is a dead project, too many foreign components pissed off PLAAF top brass. Hongdu got screwed over big by YAK.

A "dead" project yet it is still being evaluated as a trainer on the Varyag.

Foreign components in trainers aren't a big deal; after all, they aren't front line combat aircraft.

PLAAF hope to buy a L15 ( native engine) .And also the bird is still in development.:coffee:

fa1eaf37678e4afdb37386333b67e761.jpg

13d1ea11a314adde90cabd6276c77477.jpg

1289779909_4.jpg

They are pretty bad businessmen! No wonder why India is slowly shifting west for its defence requirements. Bdw, the report dates back to Feb, 2009. I guess the deal has been settled since then.

On topic: The plane looks deadly though!

Ironic considering what China did to Sukhoi.

China is a "bad" customer in the same sense that Russia is a "bad" businessman, I guess.

Too small IMO besides trainer to strike plane conversions usually come about to sell more planes (not really that great on the battlefield).

It can be made to carry a small radar ie grifo and some short range A2G missiles similar to the hellfire or OMTAS , LEHAT , HJ-10 etc to take out enemy Armour on close ranges , its small size and agility will come in handy !

PAF is looking to buy this air craft and it will join the training fleet of PAF.

Mashak ---> Super mashak -----> T37/K8P------> L-15 ------- JF-17 Thunder (operational sq) other than training this a/c can be used for CAS with some modifications.

Now, I've been thinking, the L-15 concept shown would be a suitable choice for any future PLA-N Landing Helicopter Docks, such as the proposed Type 081. The small airframe means that it would have a significantly decreased take off distance and its versatile design allows it to function both as a trainer (for PLANAF pilots) and as a ground attack aircraft for the Marine Corps. They would be supporting the infantry divisions and perhaps taking part in small patrol missions as well.

Fitted with ground attack rockets or small diameter bombs (like the FT-5 or YZ-100/102/200 series), they would be very useful in such manner, especially considering its price.

A "dead" project yet it is still being evaluated as a trainer on the Varyag.

Foreign components in trainers aren't a big deal; after all, they aren't front line combat aircraft.
It's not being evaluated for anything. At the moment it is too costly and they cannot find a suitable engine replacement. It has been essentially from eliminated from the picture. JL-9 will be getting all the orders.

It's not being evaluated for anything. At the moment it is too costly and they cannot find a suitable engine replacement. It has been essentially from eliminated from the picture. JL-9 will be getting all the orders.

I've seen no indication of either project being selected. As of now, as far as I know, they are still in competition for the PLAAF order. Some view the L-15 as a more advanced and more mature design (as opposed to the J-7 based JL-9), but the JL-9 offers better specifications. Personally, I think the versatility and much more advanced airframe of the L-15 offers it much higher potential.

The L-15 is seeking to use domestically produced Al-222K-25F engines. Again, they are trainers; high performance domestic engines are not urgently needed. China can make the switch to the WS-11 if they are still unsatisfied.

Another option is to induct some of both, of course, but that wholly depends on the range of mission types that the PLAAF and PLANAF are focusing on.

Back
Top Bottom