What's new

Turks, do most Muslims practice Islam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only about 15 percent of Turkey are fully performing muslims. In fact, it might be lower than that. The myth that Turkey is 99 percent muslim is just that: a myth. Turkey is a shithole and one can only understand this if one comes from a Western nation with western education back into Turkey. The nation is a third world country where democracy only nominally existed and still only nominally exists.

According to Mutafa Akyol a columnist of Hurriyat daily news of Turkey that 30 % of Turks are very pious and practice Islam, 50% moderately practice Islam and 20% are staunchly secular (in my view most of the Alevi).

According to Mutafa Akyol a columnist of Hurriyat daily news of Turkey that 30 % of Turks are very pious and practice Islam, 50% moderately practice Islam and 20% are staunchly secular (in my view most of the Alevi).
Pretty accurate, and you can find many of the staunchly secular in this forum.

Thanks, interesting. Could you please provide the ref link?

A Muslim could be secular. I see no contrariness between practicing personal beliefs and supporting a secular government. It is wrong to classify secularism as anti-religious-ism. Unfortunately most of close date history of Turkey could not be classified as secular one. Wrongly named. Secularism is a liberal frame, providing human rights to all people in a nation.

If 100% of a nation fallows one kind of religious, it is possible to have a non-secular democratic solution. The fact is 100% never is even near realistic figures. Consider Syria & Iraq. There are bunch of different religious branches in those countries. Only a democratic secular solution could solve the problem.

Thanks, interesting. Could you please provide the ref link?

A Muslim could be secular. I see no contrariness between practicing personal beliefs and supporting a secular government. It is wrong to classify secularism as anti-religious-ism. Unfortunately most of close date history of Turkey could not be classified as secular one. Wrongly named. Secularism is a liberal frame, providing human rights to all people in a nation.

If 100% of a nation fallows one kind of religious, it is possible to have a non-secular democratic solution. The fact is 100% never is even near realistic figures. Consider Syria & Iraq. There are bunch of different religious branches in those countries. Only a democratic secular solution could solve the problem.

Some muslims from our sub-continent struggle with the idea that secularism and religion are not mutually exclusive .

You mean Alevi;)

I am not with the idea of "Seculars in turkey are mostly Alevi". If you follow the parliamentary elections results map (mostly provided by TRT) It is obvious that most of the south-western parts of Turkey (for example Izmir) support parties with less religious inclination. I do not think those people are Alevi. Alevis mostly live in eastern part of Turkey.

I am not with the idea of "Seculars in turkey are mostly Alevi". If you follow the parliamentary elections results map (mostly provided by TRT) It is obvious that most of the south-western parts of Turkey (for example Izmir) support parties with less religious inclination. I do not think those people are Alevi. Alevis mostly live in eastern part of Turkey.

in my view most of the Alevis are Secular and rightly so, as you mentioned in you above post minority sect prefers Secular governments and you rightly said in a country of 80 million there are Sunnis too who are secular or less religious. In case of Iran people told me that Iranian Sunnis are better of in Shah's time than the present regime of clerical establishment ?

In case of Iran people told me that Iranian Sunnis are better of in Shah's time than the present regime of clerical establishment ?

I think a Sunni brother in Iran should answer this question. The fact is at the time in which a government has huge specific religious inclination, it could easily be annoying for others, out of that specific circle.

This is a fact that most of us in developing countries forget the minority and even act insulting about them, just in case finding ourselves within the majority. We should practice the sentence "everyone should be provided by human rights" more and more.

Almost all Alevis are secular with a legit reason, but not most seculars are Alevis, also Alevis are not concentrated on a certain region, they spread most of the anatolia since when rebelled and defeated by Ottoman they're scattered.

You guys should checkout his latest book "Islam without extremes"

or listen to his TEDtalk

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys should checkout his latest book "Islam without extremes"

or listen to his TEDtalk

This guy is amazing. I'm surprised that you listen to him though...

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with this guy, would you please elaborate Zulkarneyn?

I mean seriously he is amazing. He is really intelligent and knows a great deal about Turkish politics. You should listen to him, he explains pretty interesting stuff, and entertaining in my opinion.

This guy is amazing. I'm surprised that you listen to him though...

Not everything is black and white and I dont hate religion and religious people as much as you migh think, because its the internet and sometime you just have to irk people. Here's my proof ;)

pbMEc.png

Not everything is black and white and I dont hate religion and religious people as much as you migh think, because its the internet and sometime you just have to irk people. Here's my proof ;)

pbMEc.png

Well i am surprised in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom