What's new

Turkish Geopolitics/ Foreign Affairs

Disputed Kurdish oil tanker mysteriously goes dark

n_71058_1.jpg

A tanker near Texas loaded with $100 million of disputed Iraqi Kurdish crude has disappeared from satellite tracking, the latest development in a high stakes game of cat-and-mouse between Baghdad and the Kurds.

The AIS ship tracking system used by the U.S. Coast Guard and Reuters on Aug. 28 showed no known position for the United Kalavrvta, which was carrying 1 million barrels of crude and 95 percent full when it went dark.

Several other tankers carrying disputed crude from Iran or Iraqi Kurdistan have unloaded cargoes after switching off their transponders, which makes their movements hard to track.

Days ago, the partially full Kamari tanker carrying Kurdish crude disappeared from satellite tracking north of Egypt's Sinai. It reappeared empty two days later near Israel.

And in late July, the tanker United Emblem offloaded part of its cargo of Kurdish crude onto another ship in the South China Sea.

Baghdad, which says it has the exclusive right to export the crude, has filed a lawsuit in a U.S. court to reclaim control of the United Kalavrvta cargo and block the Kurdistan Regional Government from delivering it.

The suit shows Baghdad is stepping up a legal and diplomatic push to stop Kurdistan from exporting crude, which the Kurds say is crucial to their own dreams of independence.

The court on Aug. 25 threw out an order issued to seize the cargo, saying it lacked jurisdiction because the tanker was some 60 miles offshore.

The judge has invited Iraq to re-plead its case over the rightful ownership of the cargo. Baghdad could file claims against anyone taking delivery of the oil.

A Coast Guard official said the vessel in the Gulf of Mexico might have turned off its beacon, sailed beyond antennas that monitor transponders, or perhaps some antennas might have been taken out of service.

However, dozens of vessels were visible on Aug. 28 in the Galveston Offshore Lightering Area, where the Kurdish tanker was last seen.

Disputed Kurdish oil tanker mysteriously goes dark - INTERNATIONAL

Just to be clear both the krg and isis sell their oil through Turkey.

Turkey urges Australia to stop outflow of jihadists

Turkey's Ambassador in Canberra has blasted as "unfair" international calls for his country to tighten its border with Syria to stem the flow of foreign jihadists, and said countries such as Australia should do more to stop such fighters leaving their own shores.

With Australia poised to begin delivering arms and munitions to Kurdish fighters in northern Iraq to help the battle against the ruthless Islamic State group (also known as ISIL), Ambassador Reha Keskintepe played down concerns that the weapons could fall into the hands of Kurdish terrorists the PKK, which has long been in conflict with Turkey.

While stressing that Turkey was "always concerned" about the danger of terrorists getting weapons, he said Ankara accepted the assurances given by the Kurdish regional government that it would keep a tight rein on the movement of the arms.

But Mr Keskintepe bristled at calls for Turkey to clamp down on its border with neighbouring Syria, the route of choice for foreign jihadists including Australians such as Khaled Sharrouf.

"Those statements are quite unfair," he said. "We have done our utmost to seal our borders … The source countries have to do more, like Australia, to keep them in the country rather than having them travel."

He said Turkey had been given a "blacklist" by Western governments of 6000 people who should be banned from entering Turkey but so far only 400 had tried to get in and had been arrested.

His remarks came as Foreign Minister Julie Bishop and Defence Minister David Johnston headed for a NATO meeting in Wales where Iraq, Syria and foreign fighters were expected to top the agenda, along with Russia's recent aggression towards its neighbour, Ukraine.

Senator Johnston will meet US counterpart, Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel, where they are expected to discuss what role Australia can play in any escalated military campaign - most likely in the form of intensified air strikes - in Iraq.

Ms Bishop, who is representing Prime Minister Tony Abbott at the meeting and will therefore take part in the high-level talks with international leaders - will lobby other countries about the possibility of banning Russian President Vladimir Putin from the G20 meeting in Brisbane in November.

It is unclear what kind of reception those efforts will get. Turkey, which is a member of NATO and the G20, had not yet taken a position on the issue, Mr Keskintepe said.

Surinder Datta, India's Deputy High Commissioner in Canberra, similarly told Fairfax Media that his government did not have a view on Mr Putin's presence.

Other foreign diplomats, who did not wish to be quoted, indicated there may be concern about setting a precedent of barring leaders from international gatherings.

Ms Bishop also told Parliament that Australia would be invited to become an "enhanced partner" of NATO, meaning it would have a stronger voice in military planning by the alliance.

"Australia will continue to maintain its autonomy of course in deciding the extent and character of our engagement in future NATO-led operations," she said.

Read more: Turkey urges Australia to stop outflow of jihadists

PRESIDENT ERDOĞAN DISCUSSES REGIONAL ISSUES WITH NATO ALLIES

1409932043859.jpg

NEWPORT Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and U.S. President Barack Obama held a nearly two hour meeting in the last hours of the 2014 NATO Summit in Wales, U.K. NATO allies discussed issues related to Iraq, Syria, Palestine, Libya and Ukraine. Prior to the closed-door meeting with Erdogan, Obama congratulated his counterpart for his election to the presidency. "Turkey plays an important role in the alliance, in part, because it is a bridge between Europe and the Middle East," Obama said.

Saying he was looking forward to a very productive discussion, Obama pointed out that the topics to be discussed included "the instability in Iraq and Syria and the emergence of ISIS, [which is] a threat to all our nations."Erdogan said he was looking forward to speaking with Obama on "a wide range of issues," including the threat posed by terrorism.

Speaking to his counterparts during the two-day NATO summit in Wales, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan criticized ally countries for not taking effective necessary measures in stopping its citizens from leaving their countries to join the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) in war-torn Syria and Iraq, both of which border Turkey.

Speaking to head of NATO member countries on Thursday and Friday, Erdoğan said that keeping silent over massacres of the regimes in the region is paving way for terrorist organizations and thus, necessary measures should immediately be taken with a great determination to confront the terror activities that threaten global security and stability.

Complaining about Turkey's Western allies' insufficient efforts in combatting ISIS, which has displaced and killed hundreds of thousands of people in Iraq and Syria, Erdoğan told British Prime Minister David Cameron that Turkey had taken all necessary measures. He later told Cameron that Turkey had blocked all foreign citizens whose names were given by the countries from which they held the passports from entering Syria and Iraq. He then said ISIS is more popular in Western countries and the issue should be questioned by the authorities of these countries. "These people [ISIS recruits] were educated and raised in your country," Erdoğan reportedly told Cameron.

Ten countries have formed a coalition against ISIS on the sidelines of the NATO summit in Wales, according to British government sources.

The initiative, led by the U.S. and U.K., also comprises Germany, France, Italy, Denmark, Poland, Turkey and Canada, as well as non-NATO member Australia.

"These nations that have shown this willingness have sensibly arranged to stay in contact and discuss the further measures," said German Chancellor Angela Merkel, adding that they had all stepped forward without being asked.

The U.S. also said on Friday that it was forming a "core coalition" to battle ISIS militants in Iraq, calling for broad support from allies and partners but ruling out committing ground forces.

"We need to attack them in ways that prevent them from taking over territory, to bolster the Iraqi security forces and others in the region who are prepared to take them on, without committing troops of our own," U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry told at a meeting of 10 nations. "Obviously I think that's a red line for everybody here: no boots on the ground," he added.

The defense and foreign ministers and secretaries of the U.S., Britain, France, Germany, Canada, Australia, Turkey, Italy, Poland and Denmark met on the sidelines of a NATO summit in Wales to discuss a strategy for addressing the militant group that has taken over large areas of Iraq and Syria.

NATO approved wide-ranging plans on Friday to boost its defenses in Eastern Europe, aiming to reassure allies nervous about Russia's intervention in Ukraine that the alliance will shield them from any attack. The plan adopted at the summit includes creating a "spearhead" rapid reaction force and pre-positioning supplies and equipment in Eastern European countries so they can be reinforced within days in a crisis. Speaking during the summit, Erdoğan urged that Crimea's Turkic Tatar ethnic group should not be isolated in the region and that all necessary steps should be taken to protect Ukraine's territorial integrity. He also said there would be no normalization of ties between Russia and NATO if the Crimean issue is not solved in civil-war-stricken eastern Ukraine.

Erdoğan also spoke to Merkel and asked her to inform him regarding the recent news reports that revealed Germany's spy agency wiretapped Turkey for the past five years and told the German chancellor that such moves could affect the bilateral ties between the two NATO allies.

Erdoğan later held a meeting with Greek President Antonis Samaras in which the two leaders reportedly discussed bilateral ties and the reunification of Cyprus.

President Erdoğan discusses regional issues with NATO allies | Politics | Daily Sabah

Last edited:
I am from Cyprus and of Greek origin and I am very proud of my country considering what we have all suffered since the invasion of the island by Turkey in 1974. Atrocities were sadly committed on both sides and the activity of UK and USA in the current predicament of the island cannot be ignored. But Turkey continues to occupy Cyprus and use 40 year old arguments to justify its stance. More recently, Turkey has been colonizing the north of the island with Turkish immigrant thereby systematically affecting to change the demographic of that side of the island forcing many Cypriot Turks to move to the south of the island and abroad. I hear from my Cypriot Turkish friends about how they long for an appropriate solution to the Cyprus issue and to end their isolation from the rest of the world. Unification of the island of the island with 100% autonomy would be the ideal situation. Unfortunately Turkey has been unwilling to move forward and continues to use 40 year old arguments to justify its occupation of Cyprus. Contrary to the many virilent anti-Greek sentiments shown here - many Cypriot Turks and Greeks are the best of friends. In fact my mother's family grew up with Turkish and they had very close ties. I certianly have never encountered any anti-Islamic sentiments from my own family nor do I recognize the caricatures and frankly racist view points being put forward many times here. You think that by recognizing the TRNC you will help the plight of the Cypriot Turks? You are all very misguided. If you are wise and put aside your prejudice then you will join the peace process that can only benefit the plight of the Cypriot Turks. Because in the end - a Cypriot is a Cypriot. Greek, Turkish, Armenian, Maronite etc - whether Muslim or christian - are ALL Cypriots. therefore, Cyprus is divided against itself.

In one reply, someone claimed that Cyprus is Turkish!

Cyprus has never been exclusively Turkish and has always had diverse community of people. Never has it been Turkish and it never will be.

You cannot extinguish centuries of Greek influence because you are full of hatred for Hellenistic culture and I have never come across the anti-Islamic sentiments put forward here supposedly among Greeks.

The Cyprus issue has NEVER been about religion and nefarious deeds have been conducted on both sides - nobody is innocent. Quoting 40 year old happenings does not justify 40 years of illegal occupation by a foreign country.

Many of the things I have read here have disgusted me beyond words.

The best thing anyone can do for Cyprus is to join the peace process and a solution that will benefit EVERYONE and not just the side you like because of the religion or the false reports you have been.

Turkey is the occupying force in Cyprus - they invaded it in 1974.

Anyone who supports Turkey in the occupation of Cyprus ( a small island in the Levant) is an enemy of the peace process and goes against the wishes of many of the Cypriot people.

Nearly 2, 000 Cypriot Greeks remain missing since the invasion of Cyprus. Countless people were turned into refugees as a result of the selfish actions of others.

Cypriot Greeks are not going to disappear and they will fight and fight for justice in Cyprus.

One Cyprus.

@One Cyprus I don't think that there is a anti hellenistic stance here and also believe that Greek Cypriots have lost their interest in unification. Cypriots should be able to live together as they want but measures have to be taken in order to prevent what led to the Turkish intervention. And frankly you seem to completely disregard that in your statement, you can not blame others for everything.

I am from Cyprus and of Greek origin and I am very proud of my country considering what we have all suffered since the invasion of the island by Turkey in 1974. Atrocities were sadly committed on both sides and the activity of UK and USA in the current predicament of the island cannot be ignored. But Turkey continues to occupy Cyprus and use 40 year old arguments to justify its stance. More recently, Turkey has been colonizing the north of the island with Turkish immigrant thereby systematically affecting to change the demographic of that side of the island forcing many Cypriot Turks to move to the south of the island and abroad. I hear from my Cypriot Turkish friends about how they long for an appropriate solution to the Cyprus issue and to end their isolation from the rest of the world. Unification of the island of the island with 100% autonomy would be the ideal situation. Unfortunately Turkey has been unwilling to move forward and continues to use 40 year old arguments to justify its occupation of Cyprus. Contrary to the many virilent anti-Greek sentiments shown here - many Cypriot Turks and Greeks are the best of friends. In fact my mother's family grew up with Turkish and they had very close ties. I certianly have never encountered any anti-Islamic sentiments from my own family nor do I recognize the caricatures and frankly racist view points being put forward many times here. You think that by recognizing the TRNC you will help the plight of the Cypriot Turks? You are all very misguided. If you are wise and put aside your prejudice then you will join the peace process that can only benefit the plight of the Cypriot Turks. Because in the end - a Cypriot is a Cypriot. Greek, Turkish, Armenian, Maronite etc - whether Muslim or christian - are ALL Cypriots. therefore, Cyprus is divided against itself.

In one reply, someone claimed that Cyprus is Turkish!

Cyprus has never been exclusively Turkish and has always had diverse community of people. Never has it been Turkish and it never will be.

You cannot extinguish centuries of Greek influence because you are full of hatred for Hellenistic culture and I have never come across the anti-Islamic sentiments put forward here supposedly among Greeks.

The Cyprus issue has NEVER been about religion and nefarious deeds have been conducted on both sides - nobody is innocent. Quoting 40 year old happenings does not justify 40 years of illegal occupation by a foreign country.

Many of the things I have read here have disgusted me beyond words.

The best thing anyone can do for Cyprus is to join the peace process and a solution that will benefit EVERYONE and not just the side you like because of the religion or the false reports you have been.

Turkey is the occupying force in Cyprus - they invaded it in 1974.

Anyone who supports Turkey in the occupation of Cyprus ( a small island in the Levant) is an enemy of the peace process and goes against the wishes of many of the Cypriot people.

Nearly 2, 000 Cypriot Greeks remain missing since the invasion of Cyprus. Countless people were turned into refugees as a result of the selfish actions of others.

Cypriot Greeks are not going to disappear and they will fight and fight for justice in Cyprus.

One Cyprus.

I believe that you are not fair. I think it would be good if you can see the issue from the turkish side as well. The obvious point is that Turkish Cypriots do not want to be ruled by non-Turks, aka greek cypriots. They have been lucky that they have a strong supporter like Turkey to make them free from greek influence. BTW, I suggest you to think in a modern context. If a nation does not want to be ruled by you, you have no right to even wish for ruling them. Cyprus is already separated, if you think about it more deeply. That's the reality ;)
PS. I have not seen any anti-greek sentiments among turkish members, we have a greek member and you can ask him. The issue is not about hatred, it is about self-determination rights of a nation, which this right is accepted world wide and also in UN.

Cypriots should be able to live together as they want but measures have to be taken in order to prevent what led to the Turkish intervention.

We swear to never let a junta rule over Greece again. :angel:

That being said, I was a bit disappointed because I remember Erdogan recently saying some stuff about a two-states solution that sounded really discouraging to those who hope to see Cyprus united and independent again.

With all due respect, one cannot use the past to justify the present which is exactly what is happening in Cyprus. Do not forget that atrocities were committed in Cyprus in the 1974 invasion of Cyprus and over 2,000 people are still missing to this day. Both sides are guilty of crimes. Cypriots do not need to be "ruled" by anyone. Turkey invaded the island in 1974 and occupies it to this day. I do am not promoting either the Greeks or the Turks - I believe that Cypriots should be allowed full autonomy. Frankly I have read very biased and pro-Turkish views here. Lest I remind you that Turkey occupies the island. With all dues respect those are your own views and interpretations. I am Cypriot who has grown up with Turkish Cypriots and none of them want Turkey in Cyprus. Forty year old arguments are still being used to justify the occupation of the island.

With all due respect, one cannot use the past to justify the present which is exactly what is happening in Cyprus. Do not forget that atrocities were committed in Cyprus in the 1974 invasion of Cyprus and over 2,000 people are still missing to this day. Both sides are guilty of crimes. Cypriots do not need to be "ruled" by anyone. Turkey invaded the island in 1974 and occupies it to this day. I am not promoting either the Greeks or the Turks and although I am Cypriot I do not align myself with either country because I believe that this has always been part of the problem - I believe that Cypriots should be allowed full autonomy. Frankly I have read very biased and pro-Turkish views here. Lest I remind you that Turkey occupies the island. With all dues respect those are your own views and interpretations. I am Cypriot who has grown up with Turkish Cypriots and none of them want Turkey in Cyprus. Forty year old arguments are still being used to justify the occupation of the island.

I believe that you are not fair. I think it would be good if you can see the issue from the turkish side as well. The obvious point is that Turkish Cypriots do not want to be ruled by non-Turks, aka greek cypriots. They have been lucky that they have a strong supporter like Turkey to make them free from greek influence. BTW, I suggest you to think in a modern context. If a nation does not want to be ruled by you, you have no right to even wish for ruling them. Cyprus is already separated, if you think about it more deeply. That's the reality ;)
PS. I have not seen any anti-greek sentiments among turkish members, we have a greek member and you can ask him. The issue is not about hatred, it is about self-determination rights of a nation, which this right is accepted world wide and also in UN.

I disagree with your reply. I am responding to the things I have read here on these forums which appear virulently pro-Turkish and very one-sided. You are entitled to your views, but I am speaking as a Cypriot who has first hand experience of the troubles in Cyprus. As far as I am concerned, we cannot use forty year old arguments to justify what is in reality an illegal occupation of a small island by a foreign entity. Turkey has always maintained that they invaded the island to "save" the Cypriot Turks but I beg to differ. Their recent activities in the north belie this attitude as more and more Cypriot Turks become a minority in their own country. Recognizing the TRNC won't end their isolation - whether you accept that or not. A satisfactory solution will only do this, preferably the unification of the island with 100% human rights and autonomy for all. The Cypriot Turks (just like their Greek brothers and sisters) deserve the right to move around freely from one side of the island of the other and to be able to work and live where they like. You will find that many, many people oppose the permanent partition of this small island when unification offers so much more. Turkey has also much to lose in the continued occupation of Cyprus. However much Pakistan may support Turkey and their stance in Cyprus - many, many more do not. And for good reason. An invasion is an invasion. Using forty-year old arguments to justify it does not work anymore.

I disagree with your reply. I am responding to the things I have read here on these forums which appear virulently pro-Turkish and very one-sided. You are entitled to your views, but I am speaking as a Cypriot who has first hand experience of the troubles in Cyprus. As far as I am concerned, we cannot use forty year old arguments to justify what is in reality an illegal occupation of a small island by a foreign entity. Turkey has always maintained that they invaded the island to "save" the Cypriot Turks but I beg to differ. Their recent activities in the north belie this attitude as more and more Cypriot Turks become a minority in their own country. Recognizing the TRNC won't end their isolation - whether you accept that or not. A satisfactory solution will only do this, preferably the unification of the island with 100% human rights and autonomy for all. The Cypriot Turks (just like their Greek brothers and sisters) deserve the right to move around freely from one side of the island of the other and to be able to work and live where they like. You will find that many, many people oppose the permanent partition of this small island when unification offers so much more. Turkey has also much to lose in the continued occupation of Cyprus. However much Pakistan may support Turkey and their stance in Cyprus - many, many more do not. And for good reason. An invasion is an invasion. Using forty-year old arguments to justify it does not work anymore.

Self-determination right of a nation is a legal, humanistic, modern and world wide accepted right. Turks in Cyprus have chosen to use this very legitimate right of theirs. They have used the help of Turkey to achieve this legitimate right, but it does not change any facts. Turkey is a foreign country and foreign force for you, but not for Turkish Cypriots. They are part of the turk nation, and many of them have families in Turkey and vice versa. They are not from any other race, and they are called cypriot turks, for a reason which is being turks exactly similar anatolian turks ;) I believe that the best solution is to finally accept the partition of this island by greeks, then start to allow everyone to travel to the other side of the island without visa, ... Sorry brother, but your approach does not work in 21st century, and I believe that your thoughts about what turkish cypriots believe is far fetched from the reality ;)

First of all, welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Can you tell me which side refused the annan plan again, you try to make us responsible for everything, Greeks are as much responsible for the division as Turks, i would say even more if we consider why all this started in the first place.

@One Cyprus

Excuse me but.... before blaming us for obstructing the unification.

1-) Which side refused the Annan plan ?
2-) Which side still wants 10s of thousands person to thrown out of the Island, leaving all their life behind ?

Turkey has also much to lose in the continued occupation of Cyprus.

Like what ?

2-) Which side still wants 10s of thousands person to thrown out of the Island, leaving all their life behind ?

I assume that this is exactly the same sympathy that you will show towards the Israeli settlers in the West Bank?

I disagree with your views. Cypriot Turks are Cypriots first and foremost and they have not chosen a divided island - it has been forced upon them by the invasion of Turkey. So far, all I have read here are pro-Turkish prejudice. If you all want to believe Turkish lies and parrot 40 year old arguments for the occupation of Cyprus then its your choice. But I think you will find that the majority of Cypriots (whether Greek or Turkish) would prefer the unification of the island and not a partition. I am Cypriot and I do not you to educate me about my country and just because you blindly follow Turkey does mean that lies can be made into truth. Since Turkey invaded Cyprus in 1974, it has consistently numerous UN resolutions. And do not quote the Anan Plan because it was a satisfactory enough solution for many. The majority on the island has ALWAYS been Greek Cypriots - check your facts. And Pakistan is virtually alone in its support of the invasion of Cyprus and of further military action. If Turkey had invaded the island to protect the Turkish Cypriots then this act would surely have been recognized by the rest of the world. But of course it is not because Turkey illegally occupies territory that does not belong to them. Cyprus has been Turkish and never will be. The Greek Cypriots will NEVER settle for anything less than a unification of the island and restoration of 100% human rights for all. The island does not belong to Turkey nor to Greece - nor to UK or USA. It belongs to the Cypriots who live on it. The reason Turkish Cypriots are isolated from the rest of the world is because Turkey occupies the island. Turkey is oppressing the Turkish Cypriots by remaining - recognizing TRNC has done nothing to alleviate this because no self-respecting country will recognize a rogue state. You are not helping the Turkish Cypriots by expressing your pro-Turkish and prejudiced view points. You are only colluding with the force which occupies the island. Finally, I would like to add that the Cyprus issue is a lot more complicated than expressed and I have heard the word "blame" used here a lot. Turkey invaded Cyprus in 1974 and behaved in a barbaric fashion on the island causing suffering to the Cypriots on it. It is a testimony to the strength and spirit of all Cypriots that they have survived and will survive. No matter how much you push your biased views and blame for the Greeks on the island - it will achieve nothing. And I speak for the majority of Cypriots who DO NOT want partition. By pushing all those facts and so-called figures (I could counter them with others) and blindly pushing a divided island you are going AGAINST the wishes of the majority of the Cypriots on the island. Recent poles suggest that 73% of Turkish Cypriots would like a unified island and want Turkey to leave. In fact the best thing Turkey can do for Cyprus is to leave it. They have no business to be on there but if they want to keep spending their millions and resources on keeping their troops there then be our guest. Nobody believes that they invaded to protect the Turkish Cypriots - and I say that as a Cypriot who listens to both sides. But anyway, you are entitled to your views. Just be aware that NONE of the Cypriots I know - Turkish or Greek - actually share them. And God have mercy on the evil people who masterminded the blood shed on the island and the oppression of the Cypriot people. It will be dealt with here or in the next life - of that you can be sure.

Back
Top Bottom