What's new

Turkic World Photos/News/Discussions.

In turkish the word for "and" is "ve" which is an arabic word so what was the original turkish word for "and"?

In orhon inscriptions there isn't any word for 'and" so I assume this word is a later invention.

Edit: not word, but notion.

This is what Nishanyan gives for word "ile" as oldest recording.

ETü: birle "ile, beraber (bağlaç), bile (zarf)" [ Orhun Yazıtları, 735]
inim Kültigin birle sözleştimiz [kardeşim Kültigin ile sözleştik]
It might not a proper "and" as you said though, I don't know.

This is what Nishanyan gives for word "ile" as oldest recording.

ETü: birle "ile, beraber (bağlaç), bile (zarf)" [ Orhun Yazıtları, 735]
inim Kültigin birle sözleştimiz [kardeşim Kültigin ile sözleştik]
It might not a proper "and" as you said though, I don't know.

@ghara ghan Do Turkmens are calling the moon "Ay Dede" or "Ay Ata" too ?
well we call moon as ay . i thought ay deda was turkish god was't he ? and if your interested about how we call our family member i ill tell you this way

dede-nana it's common in iran (ata-anna it's common in turkmenistan ) erkek doghon -kiz doghon brother sister
bava-mama (grand parent from mother side) kaka-eje (grand parent from father side) father's brother amja(some time dede) father's sister ejeke - mother's brother dayi mother's sister dayza there are so many else im lazy :D i ill just put one last one if im marry and my bro marry too our wives are El'ti to each other

In turkish the word for "and" is "ve" which is an arabic word so what was the original turkish word for "and"?
and the word ve is recently become common here i can say in the last 8 years before that we use melim/melem for it here my example

iran melem turkiye ghardash melit dir lar !

Last edited:
ask me all your question from cuz in next 10 years there won't be turkmen language most of us are forgetting it

well we call moon as ay . i thought ay deda was turkish god was't he ? and if your interested about how we call our family member i ill tell you this way

dede-nana it's common in iran (ata-anna it's common in turkmenistan ) erkek doghon -kiz doghon brother sister
bava-mama (grand parent from mother side) kaka-eje (grand parent from father side) father's brother amja(some time dede) father's sister ejeke - mother's brother dayi mother's sister dayza there are so many else im lazy :D i ill just put one last one if im marry and my bro marry too our wives are El'ti to each other

and the word ve is recently become common here i can say in the last 8 years before that we use melim/melim for it here my example

iran melem turkiye ghardash melit dir lar !

Our terminology for relatives is almost identical :)

For "and" we use menen, uzbeks use bilan, menan, kazakhs use menen, kazan tatars use bilen, altay kiji use minen. I have a strong suspicion that this word is mongolian.

Our terminology for relatives is almost identical :)

For "and" we use menen, uzbeks use bilan, menan, kazakhs use menen, kazan tatars use bilen, altay kiji use minen. I have a strong suspicion that this word is mongolian.
maybe

ask me all your question from cuz in next 10 years there won't be turkmen language most of us are forgetting it

Bro, it's your responsibility to learn the language and pass it to the next generation, it's actually one of your (our) most important tasks to preserve the culture and language.

do you have the possibility to learn Turkmen at school, like elementary school? or only Persian?

I didn't know that Iranian Turkmens were affected by language shift too, it's sad.

do you mean that other Iranians face the same problem? if yes, which group of Iranians?

Only Persian.

All non-persian ethnicities face the same problem.

thanks for your answer. how about history or language textbooks about Turkmen and Azeri ? do you have access to them? if yes, are they distorted in favor of the Iranian regime?

Nearly all of them apparently (Gilaks, Mazandaranis, Lurs ...). But I would say that Azeris, Kurds and Arabs are less concerned than others.

are you also a minority from Iran?

thanks for your answer. how about history or language textbooks about Turkmen and Azeri ? do you have access to them? if yes, are they distorted in favor of the Iranian regime?
No, We and They have not any history or language books about our ethnicities in school. Even publishing non-persian books(except for arabic and english) are very hard in Iran. BTW, Even persians history is fully distorted by mullahs.
are you also a minority from Iran?
Yes, he is from Gilak ethnicity, who they live in South Caspian region and next to Azeris. Genetically, They are the closest ethnic group to us in Iran ;)

Back
Top Bottom