What's new

Turkey’s Shiites mark Battle of Karbala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila the Hun

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Shiite Muslims in Turkey commemorated on Oct. 11 the Battle of Karbala, a bloody clash that took place more than 1,000 years ago in Karbala, located in present-day Iraq.

Commemoration ceremonies were held in Istanbul’s Halkalı district, the northeastern provinces of Kars and Iğdır, and several other provinces with the participation of both Caferis, a Shiite sect in Turkey, and Alevis.
Thousands of people, many of whom were dressed in black to express their mourning, gathered for Karbala ceremonies across the country.

Speeches commemorating the Battle of Karbala, which took place some 13 centuries ago, were held during the ceremonies.

The battle of Karbala, where Ali’s son, the Prophet Muhammad’s grandson, Hussayn and his relatives and supporters were killed on the 10th day of Muharrem in 682 (year 61 of the Islamic calendar) by the forces of Yazid, son of the Umayyad caliphate, is commemorated every year by Caferis as well as Sunni Muslims.

Some Caferis perform the Battle of Karbala as a passion play to remember the pain experienced centuries ago.

Speaking at the parliamentary group meeting of his ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) on Oct. 11, Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said the Battle of Karbala meant “pain and sadness for us.”
“It’s also a lesson and a warning. Those who don’t draw lessons from Karbala create new Karbalas every day,” Yıldırım said.

“We will never tolerate the bloodshed of those who direct themselves towards the same Qibla [in prayer],” he added.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tu...bala.aspx?pageID=238&nID=104828&NewsCatID=341
-----------
How great

Nice but I hope they didn't cut and hurt themselves in the public. Are they mostly of Turkish origin or Kurdish origin? Publicly, they are very pro-Turkey and even pro-Erdogan. This is another thing I don't really get. Turkish Shias/Caferis are very nationalistic (?) and religious at the same time, at least the ones that I met.

I believe that Turkish Shias are the only main Shia group that Iran could not control. But why? What's difference between a Pakistani Shia and Turkish Shia/Caferi?

Nice but I hope they didn't cut and hurt themselves in the public. Are they mostly of Turkish origin or Kurdish origin? Publicly, they are very pro-Turkey and even pro-Erdogan. This is another thing I don't really get. Turkish Shias/Caferis are very nationalistic (?) and religious at the same time, at least the ones that I met.

I believe that Turkish Shias are the only main Shia group that Iran could not control. But why? What's difference between a Pakistani Shia and Turkish Shia/Caferi?
if Iran violates the Turkish border by firing mortars etc, who will the Turkish Shias side with?
in Pakistan's case they will either stay neutral or side with Iran.

Thats because Turkish Shias care for their national identity first,then religion,as it should be.

if Iran violates the Turkish border by firing mortars etc, who will the Turkish Shias side with?
Turkiye.

then they are different from Pakistani Shias (this does not apply to all Pakistani Shias, just the ones who I have come across)

Last edited:
then they are different from Pakistani Shias (this does not apply to all Paakistani Shias, just the ones who I have come across)
In my country sects were never an issue among the people,it was always the country first.
However,times are changing because of the mess called ME(Iraq,Syria) with the stupid sectarian wars.

Turkish alevis are just as patriotic as non-alevis. Know quite a few of them and have visited some towns inhabited by (majority) Alevis, nothing negative about them. In fact, when foreigners ask such questions, only then i realize that there is difference in religion with Alevis, otherwise i think i'm not wrong when i say that the Turkish society doesn't give a rats *** about this sunni-alevi difference nor bring this topic to the table ever at all.
Sure, maybe some weird hardcore religious non-sunni nutjob might side with Iran, but there surely are also sunnis and Azerbaijanis in Iran that would side or be neutral with Turkey in case of conflict.

Ma'am who are you to point fingers at a group of loyal and brave Pakistani sons and daughters based on their sectarian affiliation?

Turkish alevis are just as patriotic as non-alevis. Know quite a few of them and have visited some towns inhabited by (majority) Alevis, nothing negative about them. In fact, when foreigners ask such questions, only then i realize that there is difference in religion with Alevis, otherwise i think i'm not wrong when i say that the Turkish society doesn't give a rats *** about this sunni-alevi difference nor bring this topic to the table ever at all.
Sure, maybe some weird hardcore religious non-sunni nutjob might side with Iran, but there surely are also sunnis and Azerbaijanis in Iran that would side or be neutral with Turkey in case of conflict.
This means that Hussaini spirit is alive in Turks! Like there forefathers.Just Beware of the outsourced Saudi/ikhwaani clerics !

But we weren't talking about Alevis. Everybody knows that these specific religious group hates the Iranian regime more than the average Sunni AKP voter. İ asked about Turkish twelver Shia (Caferi).

Ma'am who are you to point fingers at a group of loyal and brave Pakistani sons and daughters based on their sectarian affiliation?
read my next post, specially the thing in brackets

then they are different from Pakistani Shias (this does not apply to all Pakistani Shias, just the ones who I have come across)

Stupid political rants a side, Shias in Turkey are living a way better life than their Iraqi counterparts.

What a state leader says can not be brushed off as a rant, given his policy and ideology it is hard to just call it a rant, it's deep in his belief. He actually believes that

In my country sects were never an issue among the people,it was always the country first.
However,times are changing because of the mess called ME(Iraq,Syria) with the stupid sectarian wars.
it was the same with Pakistan in the good old days
but I dont know what happened then..............

Thats because Turkish Shias care for their national identity first,then religion,as it should be.

Really ! ^ ^

We'll see if one day Iran invaded Turkey - The last thing I want -.

How the Syrian War Is Stoking Sectarian Tensions in Turkey (Sep 27, 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom