What's new

Turkey's incoming military chief warns government he will uphold secularism

Jigs

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

ANKARA — In what could portend another confrontatation, Turkey's new military chief has warned that he would repel any government attempt to Islamize the country.

Gen. Isik Kosaner, who entered office on Aug. 27, said the military would continue to represent the bastion of secularism. Kosaner, who replaced outgoing Chief of Staff Gen. Ilker Basbug, said the military was willing to confront anybody, including the Islamist government of Prime Minister Recep Erdogan, who sought to threaten secularism.

"The Turkish armed forces have always taken sides and will take sides in defending the unitary state and secularism," Kosaner said in the ceremony in which he replaced Basbug.

ANKARA — In what could portend another confrontatation, Turkey's new military chief has warned that he would repel any government attempt to Islamize the country.

Gen. Isik Kosaner, who entered office on Aug. 27, said the military would continue to represent the bastion of secularism. Kosaner, who replaced outgoing Chief of Staff Gen. Ilker Basbug, said the military was willing to confront anybody, including the Islamist government of Prime Minister Recep Erdogan, who sought to threaten secularism.

"The Turkish armed forces have always taken sides and will take sides in defending the unitary state and secularism," Kosaner said in the ceremony in which he replaced Basbug.

Not good news for Erdogan and the AKP. In spite of successfully blocking Gen. Ilker Basbug's choice for his successor, i guess he didn't really get what he wanted.

So some times powerful military presence in politics and governence is good right ?

:tup: Gen. Ilker Basbug :cheers:

Secularism has been the fabric of Turkey since the time of Ataturk, and it should remain so. The modern world has shown the positives of secularism. Enough said

:tup: Gen. Ilker Basbug :cheers:

Secularism has been the fabric of Turkey since the time of Ataturk, and it should remain so. The modern world has shown the positives of secularism. Enough said

This secular obession is also leading to demise of turkish social fabric. its funny how my turk friends are soo obessively religious while their country is governed by totally opposite. Secularism has different definition is islamic countries and the one defined by europe doesnt fit well with muslim subjects.!

This secular obession is also leading to demise of turkish social fabric. its funny how my turk friends are soo obessively religious while their country is governed by totally opposite. Secularism has different definition is islamic countries and the one defined by europe doesnt fit well with muslim subjects.!

And this is wrong ? Secularism has a pretty clear definition that so far no Muslim majority country besides Turkey has achieved(some don't even want to) . Once Erdogan and AKP are gone things will go right back to normal. I don't understand how people are against this. How is it bad that Turkey doesn't involve the supernatural in our policy making ?

Last edited:
I think it works quite good. A state must have a same relation distance with all the religions under its hood. This is the only way to make sure all citizens have a religious freedom.

Btw Jigs, where is this news from? I never heard or read anything about it apart from Koşaners mention of importance of secularism.

my Turk friends are soo obessively religious while their country is governed by totally opposite.

That means you dont have enough Turk friends bro :)

Btw Jigs, where is this news from? I never heard or read anything about it apart from Koşaners mention of importance of secularism.
Teröre karşı kararlılık ve laik üniter devlet yapısının korunması genel kurmay başkanlığına hangi general getirilirse getirilsin söylenecektir. Bu Türk Silahlı Kuvvetleri'nin değişmez bir gerçeği

Teröre karşı kararlılık ve laik üniter devlet yapısının korunması genel kurmay başkanlığına hangi general getirilirse getirilsin söylenecektir. Bu Türk Silahlı Kuvvetleri'nin değişmez bir gerçeği
What do I have to understand from what you just wrote, quoting me and writing in Turkish? Did I say anything wrong, I don't get it.

What do I have to understand from what you just wrote, quoting me and writing in Turkish? Did I say anything wrong, I don't get it.
Calm down. I just said its not a surprise, every commander says theese things...

I have a few due to my intrests in cars. Turks make good mechanics, denters and painters. And all three of them super puntual religious though not zealots like the talibans :P

Does three count as good enough??

And i have met numerous secular turks at trade fairs and in Pakistan as well. But I commented only about my friends which form the above mentioned three "a mechanic, denter and a painter". what a combo to have.hahaha :rofl:

I think it works quite good. A state must have a same relation distance with all the religions under its hood. This is the only way to make sure all citizens have a religious freedom.

Link is at the top.

define secular state will you

So some times powerful military presence in politics and governence is good right ?
Something worth learning from Turkey that it is essential for Armed forces sometimes to intervene in a democracy. Well done to Turks for transforming a dying theocratic empire into a modern world progressive democracy.

Something worth learning from Turkey that it is essential for Armed forces sometimes to intervene in a democracy. Well done to Turks for transforming a dying theocratic empire into a modern world progressive democracy.
I don't believe that military intervention to the civil authority helps the country even in the extreme times. But.. in order to keep the state a secular, liberal democracy, state itself must put blocks into its political and governmental systems to stop any threat that undermines these values. If a state can achieve to integrate those blocks, system itself will resolve problems, other than keeping them alive and hunt the country again in years to come.

Back
Top Bottom