What's new

Turkey to modernize F-16 fighter jets of Pakistan Air Force

Can somebody explain to me, why a country like Pakistan with its own fighter jet can't modernize American made F16 fighters?

A country should always go for independant defence production if possible.
The experience and knowledge gained from the JF-17 program is invaluable!!

That said its always a matter of economy and what kind of technology you can get and absorb.

Unfortunately history has proved that US is an unreliable partner for Pakistan.

So in my opinion getting the most advanced F-16 simultaneously with developing your own industry is a very vise decision.

During AVM Tanveer M Ahmad time during one of his interviews or may be in PAF books by Allen I do remember reading or he stating during an interview we would like its range to be extended, for comparison ferry range is 3200km for j10 vs 3000 for JF, vs 4300 km for block 52 and normal F16 w/o cft around 35/3600 km, J10 copied all digital cockpit from JF as PAF wanted it from get go,where Chinese were still on analog, lastly Pak does not have $$$ to fund a new acquisition vs F16 which brought leading edge technology at reasonable cost due to existing infrastructure, overhaul (engine), logistics, weapons, and training etc.

Bottom line as one said there is no comparison of US aircraft even with European as USAF, USN, Marines etc order pays for large part where a good example Rafeal buyer has to pay for lot of stuff, last true multi nation french aircraft was Mirage (mirage 5 being actually build for export) built for foreign buyers and mirage 2k to some extend

I do not think next gen of USAF and European a/c are affordable by Third world AF so Chinese and JF are real options , Russian is another story not sure where they are going, push out another variant of SuXX,? which again is not cheap in the long term , Grippen is also no longer affordable option

Can somebody explain to me, why a country like Pakistan with its own fighter jet can't modernize American made F16 fighters?

Because of two reasons;

US permission

Hi,

Pakistani F16 BLK52---electronicall and performance wise---it is an extremely advanced aircraft---.

Pakistan does not have the capability.

But MLU kits are produced and not produced... it's merely assembling that's undertaken by TAI.

And I'm sure if we can upgrade the mirages with extensive ROSE projects,similiar can be done to the F-16s, although that would require US permission and perhaps a new set up to cater for the F-16s.

Which Turkey has due to US Lockheed & TAI association.

Because of two reasons;

US permission

But MLU kits are produced and not produced... it's merely assembling that's undertaken by TAI.

And I'm sure if we can upgrade the mirages with extensive ROSE projects,similiar can be done to the F-16s, although that would require US permission and perhaps a new set up to cater for the F-16s.

Which Turkey has due to US Lockheed & TAI association.

Hi,

You are preaching to the choir.

Hi,

Pakistani F16 BLK52---electronicall and performance wise---it is an extremely advanced aircraft---.

Pakistan does not have the capability.

That's not the reason, rather that the Yankees don't want anyone touching or tweaking their tchnology.

Ask Israelis when they were not allowed to install elta 2032s in their soufas due to the latter having better SAR and ISAR modes.

if allowed, AMF can readily swap in a better cockpit interface, rwr (alq500 is leaps and bounds better than Vipers current rwr) and link 17 real-time datalink at least.

That's not the reason, rather that the Yankees don't want anyone touching or tweaking their tchnology.

Ask Israelis when they were not allowed to install elta 2032s in their soufas due to the latter having better SAR and ISAR modes.

if allowed, AMF can readily swap in a better cockpit interface, rwr (alq500 is leaps and bounds better than Vipers current rwr) and link 17 real-time datalink at least.

Hi,

My answer was in context to if Pakistan has the capability to build up an upgraded EW system for the F16 BLK52---that is how I understood the question.

Israel walked away from the lavi cus of american pressure, and military aid to buy U.S war planes.
That is true; Atlas was working very closely with IAI on Lavi design - that was going to be joint fighter for both IAF and SAAF; unfortunately Americans played the isreali govt and they canned the program. Lavi lives on still in J10; many of the avionics and systems were brought into the cheetah program while the work was going on. At atlas we had bought over Nesher which were upgraded with the Lavi systems for testing; these 5 were also reworked into Cheetahs.

Part of Turkey's F-16 'Ozgur' (freedom) avionics project, Aselsan has produced almost every cockpit diplay in-house from fuel display to hydraulic pressure display - aswell as MFD screens used.

file.php

8M7Odn.jpg

j8GMvg.jpg

It's time we started thinking abot 20 inch Information display units in fighter Jets
The aselan product is still good, but it will have to be a new Product which is developed

But world is moving towards bigger display pannels / Touch screen

21-WYSSandWILNER-image4b-F-35Cockpit(to-zoom-in-to-focus-on-front-display-to-top-of-panel).jpg

F-35_simulator.jpg

While the Mirage / F7P upgrades were good for the 90's however clearly time has moved on with newer advancement in screen size, brighter more engaging color monitors and touch screen

Last edited:
It time we started thinking abot 20 inch Information display units in fighter Jets
The aselan product is still good but it will have to be a new Product which is developed

But world is moving towards bigger display pannels / Touch screen

21-WYSSandWILNER-image4b-F-35Cockpit(to-zoom-in-to-focus-on-front-display-to-top-of-panel).jpg

F-35_simulator.jpg

While the Mirage / F7P upgrades were good for the 90's however clearly time has moved on with newer advancement in screen size, brighter more engaging color monitors and touch screen

Even physical touch screens like this are on the out. With augmented reality you won't need all this heavy hardware in your plane. It will all be projected in front of your eyes using special glasses. You'll be sitting in your cockpit tapping virtual screens floating in mid air.

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.20.05 AM.jpg

Well sometimes te Visors of the helmet do malfunction , having a hardware override seems quite useful when that happens

Personally , the visors are quite heavy and you sweat alot wearing the gear , so nice to have none visor mode / visor mode

Big expectation from the Pakistani Local Avionics factory :agree: if you made anything less you will hear back from fans

Expecting this
F-35_simulator.jpg

No pressure

Back
Top Bottom