What's new

Turkey limits defense sales to India to appease Pakistan

I know that but India can try to exploit it.

India has hardly any diplomatic relations with Turkey and is neither a member of OIC council. As a result of this the military relations are totally out of question and I'm not surprised by these recent statements.

As for China well you have failed to stop them selling Pakistan military hardware for last 65 years and now the relations between Pakistan and China have reached to the point that we are implementing CPEC and finding common allies beyond our borders.

Russia made India its largest defence partner and has a history of that. However, things are changing due to poor Indian policies. India has chosen to make the United States and Europe its largest partner and Russia is irked by this and hence opened up its relations with Pakistan and you can include the China factor in their also. Pakistan and Russia are expanding relations slowly and steadily. Besides historic defence deal, we have increased our trade, investments and we became part of SCO.

Last edited:
India has hardly any diplomatic relations with Turkey and is neither a member of OIC council. As a result of this the military relations are totally out of question and I'm not surprised by these recent statements.

As for China well you have failed to stop them selling Pakistan military hardware for last 65 years and now the relations between Pakistan and China have reached to the point that we are implementing CPEC and finding common allies beyond our borders.

Russia made India its largest defence partner and has a history of that. However, things are changing due to poor Indian policies. India has chosen to make the United States and Europe its largest partner and Russia is irked by this and hence opened up its relations with Pakistan and you can include the China factor in their also. Pakistan and Russia are expanding relations slowly and steadily. Besides historic defence deal, we have increased our trade, investments and we became part of SCO.
i said India can TRY, geopolitical relations are never static.

i said India can TRY, geopolitical relations are never static.

If I may add more, Turkey officially recognizes Kashmir as a disputed territory and supports Pakistan. That tells you how strong relations are.

Thats funny.
India can get whatever it wants from USA, RUSSIA, EUROPE.
There is nothing turkey makes that india needs.
turkey in a good position to provide cheap european kit at good prices, but the usa is involved in some of the kit so it still has a rein on the kit. the usa has a tendancy to do this with everyone.

If I may add more, Turkey officially recognizes Kashmir as a disputed territory and supports Pakistan. That tells you how strong relations are.
Great.

Considering India is the second biggest arms importer after Saudi Arabia and Turkey has been rapidly expanding its defense industry (with $2 billion arms export in 2015), it shouldn't come as a surprise if the two country would involve in arms trade.

So I wonder what's with the silly Indian reaction to the report...

Defence Sales ?
Why am i missing Turkey ( Instead of India ) here ?

arms-sale-by-country-IRIA-infograph.png

In 2013, SIPRI introduced an ‘emerging producers’ category to better track the evolution of companies based in countries that have stated goals of military industrialization. For 2014, this category covers Brazil, India, South Korea and Turkey. The combined arms sales of companies located in these countries represents 3.7 per cent of SIPRI Top 100 total arms sales. Their revenues rose by 5.1 per cent between 2013 and 2014.

There are two Turkish arms-producing companies ranked in the Top 100: ASELSAN, which increased its sales by 5.6 per cent in 2014, but has moved down in the ranking from 66th to 73rd; and Turkish Aerospace Industry (TAI), which has entered the Top 100 at rank 89, with a growth in arms sales of 15.1 per cent. ‘Turkey is seeking more self-sufficiency for its arms supplies and this, coupled with an aggressive export drive, has contributed to the rapid growth in revenue for ASELSAN and TAI,’ says Pieter Wezeman, a Senior Researcher at SIPRI.

14 Dec. 2015: Global arms industry: West still dominant despite decline; sales surge in rest of the world, says SIPRI — www.sipri.org

I would have taken it seriously, had Turkey talked about our bilateral trade ...... but alas they found a easier way. They will cut the grass grown on glass. LOL

By the way Turkish Friends, I hope we increase our bilateral trade. Benefit for everyone.

Considering India is the second biggest arms importer after Saudi Arabia and Turkey has been rprocurementnding its defense industry (with $2 billion arms export in 2015), it shouldn't come as a surprise if the two country would involve in arms trade.

So I wonder what's with the silly Indian reaction to the report...

In 2013, SIPRI introduced an ‘emerging producers’ category to better track the evolution of companies based in countries that have stated goals of military industrialization. For 2014, this category covers Brazil, India, South Korea and Turkey. The combined arms sales of companies located in these countries represents 3.7 per cent of SIPRI Top 100 total arms sales. Their revenues rose by 5.1 per cent between 2013 and 2014.

There are two Turkish arms-producing companies ranked in the Top 100: ASELSAN, which increased its sales by 5.6 per cent in 2014, but has moved down in the ranking from 66th to 73rd; and Turkish Aerospace Industry (TAI), which has entered the Top 100 at rank 89, with a growth in arms sales of 15.1 per cent. ‘Turkey is seeking more self-sufficiency for its arms supplies and this, coupled with an aggressive export drive, has contributed to the rapid growth in revenue for ASELSAN and TAI,’ says Pieter Wezeman, a Senior Researcher at SIPRI.

14 Dec. 2015: Global arms industry: West still dominant despite decline; sales surge in rest of the world, says SIPRI — www.sipri.org

Nothing to undermine your capability... but seriously , does the presence or absence of Turkish companies cause any affect on our planned procurements?

India Turkey Relations
Defence Cooperation Edit

Admiral E Murat Bilgel, Commander of the Turkish Naval Forces, accorded with a guard of honour by the Indian Navy at South Block lawn, New Delhi.

INS Trikand entering Istanbul, Turkey; 4 October 2015.
During the visit of PM Turgut Ozal to India in 1986, it was decided that the two embassies will have offices of Defence Attaché. During the visit of Prime Minister Vajpayee in September 2003, it was decided that Defence Ministers of both countries should remain in closer touch. India conveyed its willingness to expand military to military contacts, and mutual exchange of delegations to training facilities. During the visit of the Turkish PM Erdoğan to India in November 2008, both prime ministers agreed to enhance cooperation between the two defence forces. [14] As far as the military exercises between India and Turkey is concerned, there has been a regular but a low profile passage exercises (PASSEX) between the Navies of the two countries.[15]

@All Turkish Members

Turkey's first nano satellite "ITUpSAT1", manufactured at the Istanbul Technical University's Faculty of Aeronautics was sent to space on PSLV C-14 rocket by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on 23 September 2009. The satellite orbited the earth at an altitude of 720 kilometres and had the capacity to take continental photos. Its orbital life was six months. Turkey is keen to expand cooperation in space technology with India.

Get a reality check.

India–Turkey relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nothing to undermine your capability... but seriously , does the presence or absence of Turkish companies cause any affect on our planned procurements?

Turkey aims for $25 billion defence export in 2023 and it isn't far fetched considering several major projects like Altay MBT, Atak Helicopter, ANKA UAV, Hürkuş, etc... are only about to be operational, hence available for exporting.

As for your question, having Turkey as an option would be resourceful as it produces NATO quality defence products for relatively cheaper prices, and it is certainly more liberal in their sales than countries like Germany and France. But in a decade or so Turkish arms industry will evolve in some areas to being essential from being merely useful.

Last edited:
Turkey aims for $25 billion defence export in 2023 andt isn't far fetched considering several major projects like Altay MBT, Atak Helicopter, Hürkuş, etc... are only about to be operational, hence available for exporting.

As for your question, having Turkey as an option would be resourceful as it produces NATO quality defence products for relatively cheaper prices, and it is certainly more liberal in their sales than countries like Germany and France. But in a decade or so Turkish arms industry will evolve in some areas to being essential from being merely useful.

Again, not questioning your capability . We have nothing to do with it.

And for the second part, like you aim to export, we aim to reduce it. I would like to know the products which you think , Turkey will be able to offer India the best terms.

By the way our bilateral trade is growing, and so is our science collaboration, remember we launched your first satellite? If you all are actually serious about impressing Pakistanis , why not think about ending them?

Why cut the grass where there's no grass?

Again, not questioning your capability . We have nothing to do with it.

And for the second part, like you aim to export, we aim to reduce it. I would like to know the products which you think , Turkey will be able to offer India the best terms.

By the way our bilateral trade is growing, and so is our science collaboration, remember we launched your first satellite? If you all are actually serious about impressing Pakistanis , why not think about ending them?

Why cut the grass where there's no grass?

Because restricting sales of lethal weapons has nothing to do with the bilateral trade and collaborations nor is it an obstacle to carry those relations further.

Turkey has plenty of defence products for exporting. I found this short video covering many of them, and it has a cool music. :)

If you would like to know more about something particular from the video, shoot.

Because restricting sales of lethal weapons has nothing to do with the bilateral trade and collaborations nor is it an obstacle to carry those relations further.

Turkey has plenty of defence products for exporting. I found this short video covering many of them, and it has a cool music. :)

If you would like to know more about something particular from the video, shoot.
Your are now avoiding the question ...what are the items that can be offered to india??

It's a gesture of goodwill and much appreciated. Pakistan doesn't whine in-front of arms exporters to stop sales to India, the way India does. This is Turkey's unilateral decision--------Which also hints that Turkey prefers Pakistan over India.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom