What's new

There is no work or food, the people of Tripura are forced to take refuge in Bangladesh!!

Again another question do you know why NRC was opposed so strongly in NE?

Because that was a flawed process to begin with. Despite after NRC reality has been exposed that there are not much illegal immigration and that was a myth. After NRC now BJP is shedding crocodile tears and brought another scheme CAA to do damage control and to target muslims. But it is a fact that NRC is something of the past now. Now move on.

Pragmatism might be a lost cause for your kind,but I clearly called out indians for believing iPhone could be mass manufactured in India despite not having enough skilled workers yet .
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/appl...ndias-manufacturing-pie.665649/#post-12316760
Are you high on something? Why you're telling me these nonsense? How these are relevant to my reply? And you're talking about pragmatism! LOL, your replies above reflects your hate against your own Bengali citizens. This is inferiority complex. LOL...
Per capita income?
Yah. Per capita income. How much you NE mongoloids earn?
BD has millions under poverty line,there are states in NE that has higher per capita income than BD ,but that only serves as a buffer against the millions and millions under poverty in BD .

NE states has higher Human Development Index,higher literacy rate .
Since I'm more familiar with Manipur ,I'll point out there are no slums ,almost zero rape,no beggars ,muggers.
A far cry from the world you are used to,right?

No. of doctors working under DGHS per 10,000 populations: 1.28;that means 21376 bangladeshis have to settle with 1 doctor from Directorate General of Health Services of Bangladesh government.

Meanwhile under Manipur Health Directorate 1doctor per 1635 population was allocated back in 2011 ,now the ratio is much better,one of the best in India.

BD infant mortality rate according to UNICEF is 30.2
Manipur infant mortality rate is 9 (lowest in india)

Comparatively, BD has a severe case of underweight,stunted and wasted cases among kids.
Hmm, classic example of beating around the bush. When you dont have counter argument just post hilibili essay. LOL...

If you dont have any counter argument just stop and save my time mr mongoloid...
It's almost impossible to be lower in the determined IQ of south asian bd folk.
A NE mongoloid talking about IQ. LOL

Looking at your NE economy you folks definitely have below average IQ.
Guess the concept flew over your head,should have expected,but again ,a secluded village in the bangla border far from northern parts bordering other state and agartala;your excuse of comparison regarding non bangla trespassers falls short.
My caucasoid brain is definitely better than your mongoloid one. LOL.

Like you Im not wasting my time writing hilibili essays. Again, I hope you can prove...

Again another question do you know why NRC was opposed so strongly in NE?
Sorry friend, you are off the mark here. Of all the places in India, NE people will welcome NRC the most.

Our government reject this present version conceptualized by the previous Govt, but even then they admit that it's a step in the right direction.

Don't we see the illegal miyas leave NE for Bangladesh ever so often these days.

Off topic query, as my question to you in the other thread was removed by the mods. How popular is the buffoon Garga guy amongst the real Bengalis in WB not affiliated(or neutral) to the ruling party there?

Bangladesh is way ahead in terms of living standards and per capita gdp than NE Indian states. There are no existing Industrial base in those areas.
Stop spreading lies. It is Bangladesh which lacks in infrastructure like roads and bridges, compared to the NE.

In some cases a couple of hour's journey takes half a day in your poor country as it is yet to build bridges connecting towns and cities. In contrast we in Assam have already half a dozen of them spanning across the entire length of the state on the same river.

Poor people in Bangladesh struggle to make their ends meet and these overseas Jamati ingrates keep on confabulating.

No wonder then that the p!ss poor illegal miyas keep on trickling to NE in search of food and jobs.

BJP only knows hate and corruption.
All former "corrupts" are now in BJP, somehow whitewashed after joining.

You got to see Aftab Iqbal's revelation about the relationship between the Indian Government and Media. You will understand why Indian media is such a good puppy and why they fail to reveal black holes in the Indian economy, government, and country as a whole.

Sorry friend, you are off the mark here. Of all the places in India, NE people will welcome NRC the most.

Our government reject this present version conceptualized by the previous Govt, but even then they admit that it's a step in the right direction.

Don't we see the illegal miyas leave NE for Bangladesh ever so often these days.

Off topic query, as my question to you in the other thread was removed by the mods. How popular is the buffoon Garga guy amongst the real Bengalis in WB not affiliated(or neutral) to the ruling party there?

Stop spreading lies. It is Bangladesh which lacks in infrastructure like roads and bridges, compared to the NE.

In some cases a couple of hour's journey takes half a day in your poor country as it is yet to build bridges connecting towns and cities. In contrast we in Assam have already half a dozen of them spanning across the entire length of the state on the same river.

Poor people in Bangladesh struggle to make their ends meet and these overseas Jamati ingrates keep on confabulating.

No wonder then that the p!ss poor illegal miyas keep on trickling to NE in search of food and jobs.

It explains why BD lies so much on paper, and why it needs 95% election results to perpetuate and shield it.

It also explains why its a dark spot (from space) compared to India mainland and NE....esp when accounting for population density.

Strip the insulation, the reality always shines (or doesnt shine in this case) through.

How is infrastructure exactly related to living standards?
It is only just part of the picture.

It is a fact that BD has higher living standards than anywhere in NE and it's industry is on another level compared to NE. BD manufactures electronics and drugs as two examples, with electronics of a higher quality than can even be produced in India.

It is true that India has a 10 year head start in infrastructure over BD and that is why India has better roads, railways and metros than BD but this is gap is rapidly being wiped out.

BD infrastructure spending only took off in the last 5 years and in 10 years the gap between Indian and BD would be almost wiped out - yes India is still building infrastructure but BD is coming from a lower base and so is catching up in relative terms.

As for your constant whining about "illegal BD'shis" in NE, you aware that Sylhet has massive labour shortages in farming every year? Why would anyone migrate to another country for lower salaries than can easily be gotten in their own country. Your assertions are not backed by any logic.

Last edited:
How is infrastructure exactly related to living standards?
It is only just part of the picture.

It is a fact that BD has higher living standards than anywhere in NE and it's industry is on another level compared to NE. BD manufactures electronics and drugs as two examples, with electronics of a higher quality than can even be produced in India.

It is true that India has a 10 year head start in infrastructure over BD and that is why India has better roads, railways and metros than BD but this is gap is rapidly being wiped out.

BD infrastructure spending only took off in the last 5 years and in 10 years the gap between Indian and BD would be almost wiped out - yes India is still building infrastructure but BD is coming from a lower base and so is catching up in relative terms.

As for your constant whining about "illegal BD'shis" in NE, you aware that Sylhet has massive labour shortages in farming every year? Why would anyone migrate to another country for lower salaries than can easily be gotten in their own country. Your assertions are not backed by any logic.

Do not feed the troll brother, I maybe new but I can spot a bitter troll from miles away.

LOL totally unnecessary pissing contest between backward areas.
If Bangladesh is progressing ahead of India, good for you, and good for us because a rundown neighbor will affect you too. Both countries being at the bottom, there is no reason to chest-thump .
One guy is repeatedly indulging in racist talk ( mongoloid, low iq etc). You may remember Bangladesh has mongoloid communities too and it's a sign you don't care about your minorities. You may also like to remember the IQ of " Mongoloid" who gives you investment, Submarines, infrastructure etc.
He is also suggesting NE India join Bangladesh because the latter is prosperous! There is a saying--man doesn't live by bread alone. The NE are proud and independent people, there are still remnants fighting the Indian military despite knowing it's hopeless. That may not register with people whose loyalty lies with food & shelter .
I will only say what I see personally: my state is full of Bangladeshi doing labour intensive works. They are hard workers but tends to produce more kids than their earnings; resultantly many of their kids are in our homes as babysitters. How do I know they are Bangladeshi? 1. They failed the NRC documentation 2. Many are so fresh they don't know any Indian language( esp ladies) 3. After gaining confidence some tell frankly where they are from ( Silhet, mimansing).
I have no idea why they came over. My guess is the country is packed to its limits. So probably the poorest class come over.

LOL totally unnecessary pissing contest between backward areas.
If Bangladesh is progressing ahead of India, good for you, and good for us because a rundown neighbor will affect you too. Both countries being at the bottom, there is no reason to chest-thump .
One guy is repeatedly indulging in racist talk ( mongoloid, low iq etc). You may remember Bangladesh has mongoloid communities too and it's a sign you don't care about your minorities. You may also like to remember the IQ of " Mongoloid" who gives you investment, Submarines, infrastructure etc.
He is also suggesting NE India join Bangladesh because the latter is prosperous! There is a saying--man doesn't live by bread alone. The NE are proud and independent people, there are still remnants fighting the Indian military despite knowing it's hopeless. That may not register with people whose loyalty lies with food & shelter .
I will only say what I see personally: my state is full of Bangladeshi doing labour intensive works. They are hard workers but tends to produce more kids than their earnings; resultantly many of their kids are in our homes as babysitters. How do I know they are Bangladeshi? 1. They failed the NRC documentation 2. Many are so fresh they don't know any Indian language( esp ladies) 3. After gaining confidence some tell frankly where they are from ( Silhet, mimansing).
I have no idea why they came over. My guess is the country is packed to its limits. So probably the poorest class come over.

It's funny you mention racism because your countrymen on here have on many occasions made racist comments about Bangladeshis such as "short" "black" "dark" "smelly" "bearded" "Mullas"....

And do you know what's the funniest bit is? It's that your country is full of exactly the same type of people hell India has entire states full of people 10 shades darker than the average bangali so please don't point fingers in one direction. When your country call others smelly and dark it proves one thing : that you people have watched too many Bollywood movies with imported Slavic girls and fair skinned north Indians that you seem to think of yourselves as some blonde and blue eyed Nordic superior race.

The inferiority complex of Indians is already out there, the inferiority complex is so bad they need to take a piss on the less fortunate and illegal migrants to feel better about themselves. Oh and not to mention blockbuster movies like this one here

I want to add : I have no malice towards Indians, I have grown up with Indians around me and been to school with Indians and we have always gotten along for the most part but if you insult my country, I will point out the fault in yours too.

Last edited:
Boss I am not carrying my country on my back. I am talking as a person.
If someone is abusing your country or being racist call him out. I am also from the "mongoloid" race, so abusing the race got my attention.
The rest of your post has nothing to do with my post, or the thread.
It's funny you mention racism because your countrymen on here have on many occasions made racist comments about Bangladeshis such as "short" "black" "dark" "smelly" "bearded" "Mullas"....

And do you know what's the funniest bit is? It's that your country is full of exactly the same type of people hell India has entire states full of people 10 shades darker than the average bangali so please don't point fingers in one direction. When your country call others smelly and dark it proves one thing : that you people have watched too many Bollywood movies with imported Slavic girls and fair skinned north Indians that you seem to think of yourselves as some blonde and blue eyed Nordic superior race.

The inferiority complex of Indians is already out there, the inferiority complex is so bad they need to take a piss on the less fortunate and illegal migrants to feel better about themselves. Oh and not to mention blockbuster movies like this one here

Boss I am not carrying my country on my back. I am talking as a person.
If someone is abusing your country or being racist call him out. I am also from the "mongoloid" race, so abusing the race got my attention.
The rest of your post has nothing to do with my post, or the thread.

My post is more in relation to racial slurs I've seen being thrown around on the forums and as for people using words like "mongoloid" I completely agree with you on it being racist and offensive and I wish my countrymen took the moral high ground and refrained from such vitriolic outbursts.

My post is more in relation to racial slurs I've seen being thrown around on the forums and as for people using words like "mongoloid" I completely agree with you on it being racist and offensive and I wish my countrymen took the moral high ground and refrained from such vitriolic outbursts.
In some ways your previous post is right.
In the mainland India we get racist treatment on regular basis. The Coronavirus made it worse .. because they club us with Chinese ,and thus responsible for the virus!
I am sure Bangladesh will do well in the long run; they are hard workers. Perhaps a little bit of family planning won't be harmful too.

I am sure Bangladesh will do well in the long run; they are hard workers. Perhaps a little bit of family planning won't be harmful too.

Your impressions are wrong. Bangladesh is not 'chock full of people'. You have seen too many Bhakt propaganda videos.

There are plenty of areas in India that are though. NE is not representative of all of India, BIMARU and cow-belt is good example.

Fertility rate per woman in Bangladesh is at a little over 2 child per woman (which for married folks is at or below replacement rate). Indian fertility rate overall is higher than this, although NE rate may be lower.

iu

Also read the following,

https://www.ideasforindia.in/topics...tility-and-sex-ratio-india-vs-bangaldesh.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Child health, fertility, and sex ratio: India vs. Bangladesh

salma.ahmed@deakin.edu.au

aparajita.dasgupta@ashoka.edu.in

ranjan.ray@buseco.monash.edu.au

Despite having lower per capita income, Bangladesh has superior performance over India on key welfare indicators. This article compares the experiences of India and Bangladesh on several key indicators during 1990-2015 using two different datasets. It finds better performance of Bangladesh on infant mortality rate with a lower boy-girl sex ratio at birth than India. While both countries record an impressive decline in fertility rates, this was accompanied by a worsening of the sex ratio in India but not in Bangladesh.

A few years ago, eminent economist Amartya Sen noted the superior performance of Bangladesh over India on several key welfare indicators. These included life expectancy, child health and mortality, fertility rate, and female literacy. Sen’s observation is consistent with that of several other commentators, for example, Mustafizur Rahman, who noted that “Bangladesh Is Leading The Way In Terms Of Development In South Asia, Exposing The Failings Of Its Gigantic Neighbour”- . Rahman considers several other indicators such as percentage of households with waste disposal facilities, perception that children are learning, and satisfaction with educational quality, to argue that India is the second worst performer in South Asia, ahead of only Pakistan. Bangladesh’s achievement is impressive given that its per capita income is lower than that of India and so is its growth rate. Largely due to the civil war, Sri Lanka has given way to Bangladesh as the leading example in support of the view that higher per capita income and superior growth rates do not automatically translate to improvement in the quality of life. While several challenges remain, in areas such as environmental degradation, employment, inequality, and building a more inclusive society, Bangladesh is noted for its satisfactory performance on several indicators under the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).

Motivation behind comparing India & Bangladesh
Building on recent literature comparing India and Bangladesh, this article updates the earlier evidence by using the latest Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) available for both countries. Though not conducted on overlapping time periods, the surveys in the two countries can be considered reasonably contemporaneous allowing a meaningful comparison. The comparison is based not just at a point in time but on the trends in selected indicators, namely, infant mortality rates (IMR) (defined as deaths per 1,000 live births), child nutrition (example, prevalence of underweight, wasting, and stunting), total fertility rates (TFR) and the sex ratios (SR) at birth (male births per female births). A comparison of the trends reveals some interesting features.

There has been a series of articles written on the puzzle – why India, which is doing better on several health indicators compared to sub-Saharan Africa, is doing worse in terms of stunting. Panagaria (2013) rejects the claim that India is doing badly compared to sub-Saharan Africa in improving child malnutrition. He argues that the use of common height reference standard in the WHO (World Health Organization) anthropometric measure is at fault citing the role of genetic differences across countries.

Spears (2018) highlights the role of open defecation as one the key explanatory factors behind this 'Asian enigma' and finds the difference in sanitation can fully account for the large (18%) child mortality gap between Hindus and Muslims in India. Jayachandran and Pande (2013) mention the role of eldest son preference in India behind the steep birth order gradient in height. In this context, it is interesting to compare the performance of India with Bangladesh which is arguably much more similar in terms of geographical/socio-cultural and genetic aspects.

Datasets and results
This study is based on the DHS datasets for both countries (known as NFHS (National Family Health Survey) for India). Those for Bangladesh relate to 1993-94, 1999-2000, 2004, and 2014, and the NFHS are for the years, 1991-92, 1989-99, 2005, and 2015. In addition, we used TFR for woman aged 15-49 and SR at birth based on information provided in the World Development Indicators (WDI) available from the World Bank. A comparison between the fertility rates calculated from the surveys with that from the WDI confirms robustness of these rates to datasets.

Table 1 compares the IMRs, underweight-, wasting- and stunting rates in the two countries during the past two and a half decades. Where data has permitted, we have also provided the rural-urban breakdown in the estimates. In case of nearly all the indicators, Bangladesh records superior outcomes over India at the end of the chosen period based on the most recent DHS rounds available. Infant mortality stands out as one area where Bangladesh’s performance has been remarkable. It started in the early 1990s with a much higher rate (100.5) than India (78.5), but by the end of the period, the situation has reversed itself drastically (38 in Bangladesh, 40.7 in India). The rural-urban breakdown shows that the superior performance is recorded in both sectors with rural Bangladesh recording a decline by nearly 60% between 1993-94 and 2014 compared to a 50% decline in rural India over similar period. The WHO (2015) has noted a range of policy initiatives that led to this impressive performance in Bangladesh. While several of these initiatives were undertaken by the government often with the help and supervision of the WHO, public private partnerships (PPP) between NGOs (non-governmental organisations) and the government also played a key role in bringing down the IMRs. While Bangladesh records distinctly superior performance on ‘child wasting’ compared to India, they are quite similar on ‘child stunting’. Notwithstanding impressive declines in the rates of ‘stunted children’, nearly one in three children still suffer from low weight in both countries. Child wasting has not only shown stubborn resistance to declines, there has been a marginal deterioration as well.

Figure 1 shows the movement in TFRs and IMRs over time in the two countries. These are based on information contained in the DHS datasets. Both sets of rates register a sharp decline over this period. Bangladesh’s decline in IMR is more impressive, with much of the decline, and an accelerated one, taking place during the most recent periods, outstripping that of India. A similar picture is revealed regarding total fertility rates with the TFR of Bangladesh falling below that of India in the new millennium round the time when the IMR has changed places as well. Clearly, the last decade (2005-2015) has been the period when Bangladesh moved ahead of India on both indicators. Ahmed (2017) noted that the marked decline in IMR was attributed to a highly successful child immunisation programme in Bangladesh, but we intend to explore other policy instruments in further work.

Figure 1. Total fertility- and infant mortality rates, India vs. Bangladesh
mortality-rates.jpg

Source: Authors’ computation based on data derived from BDHS 2014, NFHS 2015. Fertility rates refer to three-year period preceding the survey (approximately); expressed in terms of per woman. IMR refers to 0-4 years preceding the survey; expressed in terms of deaths per 1,000 live births.

Figure 2 shows the movements in TFRs and SRs at birth in the two countries over the longer period, 1990-2015. Unlike the estimates in Table 1 and Figure 1, these are based on the WDI, not on the DHS. Consistent with Figure 1, while both countries record a decline in TFR, the decline is faster in Bangladesh with its rate falling below that of India in the late 1990s, somewhat earlier than that recorded in Figure 1 based on the DHS datasets. Since there is evidence that TFR is positively correlated with IMR, this finding does not seem surprising given the sharp decline in IMR in Bangladesh (Ahmed 2017). Of greater interest in this figure is the two part result that (a) the SR at birth in favour of boys is much higher in India than in Bangladesh, and (b) while the SR has remained largely unchanged in Bangladesh, it has increased sharply in India over this period. Note, however, that after the sharp increase in the SR in India in the earlier years, the ratio seems to have stabilised in recent years, especially over the period, 2005-2015. While the Indian experience provides some support to the suggestion by Jayachandran (2017) that declining fertility rates lead to a worsening of the boy-girl SR via an increase in sex-selective abortion, the Bangladesh experience suggests otherwise, since even with a sharp decline in its fertility rates, the SR has remained largely unchanged. Thanks to social awareness promoted by policy initiatives, a declining fertility rate does not necessarily lead to an increase in the SR at birth. Talukder, Rob, and Noor (2014) provide an insightful analysis of the reasons for the low boy-girl SR in Bangladesh including a discussion of the gender equality initiatives that have led to ‘societal change towards valuing daughters as highly as sons’. This article also describes the role of the NGOs in Bangladesh in promoting gender equality. Muhammad (2018) has also discussed the positive role played by the largest NGO anywhere (BRAC (Building Resources Across Communities)) and the largest microfinance institution (Grameen Bank) in Bangladesh. India has much to learn from the Bangladeshi experience.

Figure 2. Trends in total fertility rates and sex ratios at birth, India vs. Bangladesh
mortality-rates1.jpg

Source: Authors’ computation based on data derived from World Bank World Development Indicator Database. Fertility rates refer to three-year period preceding the survey (approximately); expressed in terms of per woman.

The two sets of fertility rates calculated and used in Figures 1 and 2 are based on different data sources with one using household level data while the other is at the country level. This raises the issue of robustness of the fertility rates to datasets. Table 2 provides evidence on this by comparing the fertility rates between the two data sources (WDI and DHS). It is reassuring to note that the fertility rates are reasonably robust between the two datasets, with the differences between the rates from WDI and DHS narrowing for both countries in the most recent period.

Table 2. Robustness of fertility rates to data sources
Year Country Total fertility rate per woman (age 15-49) Source
1993-94 Bangladesh 3.4 DHS
1999-00 Bangladesh 3.3 DHS
2004 Bangladesh 3 DHS
2014 Bangladesh 2.3 DHS
1991-92 India 3.8 NFHS
1998-99 India 2.9 NFHS
2005 India 2.7 NFHS
2015 India 2.2 NFHS
1993 Bangladesh 3.99 World Bank
2000 Bangladesh 3.17 World Bank
2004 Bangladesh 2.78 World Bank
2014 Bangladesh 2.18 World Bank
1991 India 3.96 World Bank
1998 India 3.45 World Bank
2005 India 2.97 World Bank
2015 India 2.4 World Bank
Source: Authors’ computation based on data derived from BDHS (different rounds), NFHS (different rounds) and World Bank World Development Indicator database.

Concluding remarks
This article compares the performance of India and Bangladesh in the most recent period (1990-2015) on several key demographic indicators based on information from the DHS datasets and the WDI. It documents the superior performance of Bangladesh on infant mortality that was particularly significant in the most recent period (2005-15), though on other indicators such as child nutrition and fertility rates, the difference is not that marked. A result that is worth exploring is the worsening of the sex ratio at birth in India while that in Bangladesh has remained largely unchanged, along with the result on the much higher sex ratios in India compared to that in Bangladesh.

Further Reading
  • Ahmed, S (2017), ‘The Demographic Impact of Extended Paid Maternity-Leave in Bangladesh’, International Growth Centre (IGC) blog, 19 May 2017.
  • Jayachandran, Seema (2017), “Fertility Decline and Missing Women”, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 9(1): 118-139.
  • Jayachandran, S and R Pande (2013), ‘Why are Indian Children Shorter than African Children?’, Mimeographed, Harvard University.
  • Muhammad, Anu (2018), “Rise of the Corporate NGO in Bangladesh”, Economic and Political Weekly, 53(39): 45-52.
  • Panagariya, Arvind (2013), “Does India Really Suffer from Worse Malnutrition than Sub-Saharan Africa?”, Economic and Political Weekly, 48(18): 98-111.
  • Spears, Dean (2018), “Exposure to open defecation can account for the Indian enigma of child height”, forthcoming, Journal of Development Economics.
  • Talukder, MN, U Rob and FR Noor (2014), ‘Assessment of Sex Selection in Bangladesh’, Population Council, Dhaka.

Well it's a personal impression from direct observation.
I am only talking for my state , not comparing countries. My state has ~13 persons/km2 which is 100x less than Bangladesh. No wonder not just Bangladeshi, Indian migrants from the mainland have crowded in to our detriment.
When I said to reduce fertility, it is RELATIVE to the economic capacity of the target group & pop/km2. Western Europe or Japan has high density population but their economy can support it . We can't.
Your impressions are wrong. Bangladesh is not 'chock full of people'. You have seen too many Bhakt propaganda videos.

There are plenty of areas in India that are though. NE is not representative of all of India, BIMARU and cow-belt is good example.

Fertility rate per woman in Bangladesh is at a little over 2 child per woman (which for married folks is at or below replacement rate). Indian fertility rate overall is higher than this, although NE rate may be lower.

iu

Also read the following,

https://www.ideasforindia.in/topics...tility-and-sex-ratio-india-vs-bangaldesh.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Child health, fertility, and sex ratio: India vs. Bangladesh

salma.ahmed@deakin.edu.au

aparajita.dasgupta@ashoka.edu.in

ranjan.ray@buseco.monash.edu.au

Despite having lower per capita income, Bangladesh has superior performance over India on key welfare indicators. This article compares the experiences of India and Bangladesh on several key indicators during 1990-2015 using two different datasets. It finds better performance of Bangladesh on infant mortality rate with a lower boy-girl sex ratio at birth than India. While both countries record an impressive decline in fertility rates, this was accompanied by a worsening of the sex ratio in India but not in Bangladesh.

A few years ago, eminent economist Amartya Sen noted the superior performance of Bangladesh over India on several key welfare indicators. These included life expectancy, child health and mortality, fertility rate, and female literacy. Sen’s observation is consistent with that of several other commentators, for example, Mustafizur Rahman, who noted that “Bangladesh Is Leading The Way In Terms Of Development In South Asia, Exposing The Failings Of Its Gigantic Neighbour”- . Rahman considers several other indicators such as percentage of households with waste disposal facilities, perception that children are learning, and satisfaction with educational quality, to argue that India is the second worst performer in South Asia, ahead of only Pakistan. Bangladesh’s achievement is impressive given that its per capita income is lower than that of India and so is its growth rate. Largely due to the civil war, Sri Lanka has given way to Bangladesh as the leading example in support of the view that higher per capita income and superior growth rates do not automatically translate to improvement in the quality of life. While several challenges remain, in areas such as environmental degradation, employment, inequality, and building a more inclusive society, Bangladesh is noted for its satisfactory performance on several indicators under the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).

Motivation behind comparing India & Bangladesh
Building on recent literature comparing India and Bangladesh, this article updates the earlier evidence by using the latest Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) available for both countries. Though not conducted on overlapping time periods, the surveys in the two countries can be considered reasonably contemporaneous allowing a meaningful comparison. The comparison is based not just at a point in time but on the trends in selected indicators, namely, infant mortality rates (IMR) (defined as deaths per 1,000 live births), child nutrition (example, prevalence of underweight, wasting, and stunting), total fertility rates (TFR) and the sex ratios (SR) at birth (male births per female births). A comparison of the trends reveals some interesting features.

There has been a series of articles written on the puzzle – why India, which is doing better on several health indicators compared to sub-Saharan Africa, is doing worse in terms of stunting. Panagaria (2013) rejects the claim that India is doing badly compared to sub-Saharan Africa in improving child malnutrition. He argues that the use of common height reference standard in the WHO (World Health Organization) anthropometric measure is at fault citing the role of genetic differences across countries.

Spears (2018) highlights the role of open defecation as one the key explanatory factors behind this 'Asian enigma' and finds the difference in sanitation can fully account for the large (18%) child mortality gap between Hindus and Muslims in India. Jayachandran and Pande (2013) mention the role of eldest son preference in India behind the steep birth order gradient in height. In this context, it is interesting to compare the performance of India with Bangladesh which is arguably much more similar in terms of geographical/socio-cultural and genetic aspects.

Datasets and results
This study is based on the DHS datasets for both countries (known as NFHS (National Family Health Survey) for India). Those for Bangladesh relate to 1993-94, 1999-2000, 2004, and 2014, and the NFHS are for the years, 1991-92, 1989-99, 2005, and 2015. In addition, we used TFR for woman aged 15-49 and SR at birth based on information provided in the World Development Indicators (WDI) available from the World Bank. A comparison between the fertility rates calculated from the surveys with that from the WDI confirms robustness of these rates to datasets.

Table 1 compares the IMRs, underweight-, wasting- and stunting rates in the two countries during the past two and a half decades. Where data has permitted, we have also provided the rural-urban breakdown in the estimates. In case of nearly all the indicators, Bangladesh records superior outcomes over India at the end of the chosen period based on the most recent DHS rounds available. Infant mortality stands out as one area where Bangladesh’s performance has been remarkable. It started in the early 1990s with a much higher rate (100.5) than India (78.5), but by the end of the period, the situation has reversed itself drastically (38 in Bangladesh, 40.7 in India). The rural-urban breakdown shows that the superior performance is recorded in both sectors with rural Bangladesh recording a decline by nearly 60% between 1993-94 and 2014 compared to a 50% decline in rural India over similar period. The WHO (2015) has noted a range of policy initiatives that led to this impressive performance in Bangladesh. While several of these initiatives were undertaken by the government often with the help and supervision of the WHO, public private partnerships (PPP) between NGOs (non-governmental organisations) and the government also played a key role in bringing down the IMRs. While Bangladesh records distinctly superior performance on ‘child wasting’ compared to India, they are quite similar on ‘child stunting’. Notwithstanding impressive declines in the rates of ‘stunted children’, nearly one in three children still suffer from low weight in both countries. Child wasting has not only shown stubborn resistance to declines, there has been a marginal deterioration as well.

Figure 1 shows the movement in TFRs and IMRs over time in the two countries. These are based on information contained in the DHS datasets. Both sets of rates register a sharp decline over this period. Bangladesh’s decline in IMR is more impressive, with much of the decline, and an accelerated one, taking place during the most recent periods, outstripping that of India. A similar picture is revealed regarding total fertility rates with the TFR of Bangladesh falling below that of India in the new millennium round the time when the IMR has changed places as well. Clearly, the last decade (2005-2015) has been the period when Bangladesh moved ahead of India on both indicators. Ahmed (2017) noted that the marked decline in IMR was attributed to a highly successful child immunisation programme in Bangladesh, but we intend to explore other policy instruments in further work.

Figure 1. Total fertility- and infant mortality rates, India vs. Bangladesh
mortality-rates.jpg

Source: Authors’ computation based on data derived from BDHS 2014, NFHS 2015. Fertility rates refer to three-year period preceding the survey (approximately); expressed in terms of per woman. IMR refers to 0-4 years preceding the survey; expressed in terms of deaths per 1,000 live births.

Figure 2 shows the movements in TFRs and SRs at birth in the two countries over the longer period, 1990-2015. Unlike the estimates in Table 1 and Figure 1, these are based on the WDI, not on the DHS. Consistent with Figure 1, while both countries record a decline in TFR, the decline is faster in Bangladesh with its rate falling below that of India in the late 1990s, somewhat earlier than that recorded in Figure 1 based on the DHS datasets. Since there is evidence that TFR is positively correlated with IMR, this finding does not seem surprising given the sharp decline in IMR in Bangladesh (Ahmed 2017). Of greater interest in this figure is the two part result that (a) the SR at birth in favour of boys is much higher in India than in Bangladesh, and (b) while the SR has remained largely unchanged in Bangladesh, it has increased sharply in India over this period. Note, however, that after the sharp increase in the SR in India in the earlier years, the ratio seems to have stabilised in recent years, especially over the period, 2005-2015. While the Indian experience provides some support to the suggestion by Jayachandran (2017) that declining fertility rates lead to a worsening of the boy-girl SR via an increase in sex-selective abortion, the Bangladesh experience suggests otherwise, since even with a sharp decline in its fertility rates, the SR has remained largely unchanged. Thanks to social awareness promoted by policy initiatives, a declining fertility rate does not necessarily lead to an increase in the SR at birth. Talukder, Rob, and Noor (2014) provide an insightful analysis of the reasons for the low boy-girl SR in Bangladesh including a discussion of the gender equality initiatives that have led to ‘societal change towards valuing daughters as highly as sons’. This article also describes the role of the NGOs in Bangladesh in promoting gender equality. Muhammad (2018) has also discussed the positive role played by the largest NGO anywhere (BRAC (Building Resources Across Communities)) and the largest microfinance institution (Grameen Bank) in Bangladesh. India has much to learn from the Bangladeshi experience.

Figure 2. Trends in total fertility rates and sex ratios at birth, India vs. Bangladesh
mortality-rates1.jpg

Source: Authors’ computation based on data derived from World Bank World Development Indicator Database. Fertility rates refer to three-year period preceding the survey (approximately); expressed in terms of per woman.

The two sets of fertility rates calculated and used in Figures 1 and 2 are based on different data sources with one using household level data while the other is at the country level. This raises the issue of robustness of the fertility rates to datasets. Table 2 provides evidence on this by comparing the fertility rates between the two data sources (WDI and DHS). It is reassuring to note that the fertility rates are reasonably robust between the two datasets, with the differences between the rates from WDI and DHS narrowing for both countries in the most recent period.

Table 2. Robustness of fertility rates to data sources
Year Country Total fertility rate per woman (age 15-49) Source
1993-94 Bangladesh 3.4 DHS
1999-00 Bangladesh 3.3 DHS
2004 Bangladesh 3 DHS
2014 Bangladesh 2.3 DHS
1991-92 India 3.8 NFHS
1998-99 India 2.9 NFHS
2005 India 2.7 NFHS
2015 India 2.2 NFHS
1993 Bangladesh 3.99 World Bank
2000 Bangladesh 3.17 World Bank
2004 Bangladesh 2.78 World Bank
2014 Bangladesh 2.18 World Bank
1991 India 3.96 World Bank
1998 India 3.45 World Bank
2005 India 2.97 World Bank
2015 India 2.4 World Bank
Source: Authors’ computation based on data derived from BDHS (different rounds), NFHS (different rounds) and World Bank World Development Indicator database.

Concluding remarks
This article compares the performance of India and Bangladesh in the most recent period (1990-2015) on several key demographic indicators based on information from the DHS datasets and the WDI. It documents the superior performance of Bangladesh on infant mortality that was particularly significant in the most recent period (2005-15), though on other indicators such as child nutrition and fertility rates, the difference is not that marked. A result that is worth exploring is the worsening of the sex ratio at birth in India while that in Bangladesh has remained largely unchanged, along with the result on the much higher sex ratios in India compared to that in Bangladesh.

Further Reading
  • Ahmed, S (2017), ‘The Demographic Impact of Extended Paid Maternity-Leave in Bangladesh’, International Growth Centre (IGC) blog, 19 May 2017.
  • Jayachandran, Seema (2017), “Fertility Decline and Missing Women”, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 9(1): 118-139.
  • Jayachandran, S and R Pande (2013), ‘Why are Indian Children Shorter than African Children?’, Mimeographed, Harvard University.
  • Muhammad, Anu (2018), “Rise of the Corporate NGO in Bangladesh”, Economic and Political Weekly, 53(39): 45-52.
  • Panagariya, Arvind (2013), “Does India Really Suffer from Worse Malnutrition than Sub-Saharan Africa?”, Economic and Political Weekly, 48(18): 98-111.
  • Spears, Dean (2018), “Exposure to open defecation can account for the Indian enigma of child height”, forthcoming, Journal of Development Economics.
  • Talukder, MN, U Rob and FR Noor (2014), ‘Assessment of Sex Selection in Bangladesh’, Population Council, Dhaka.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom